Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on December 12, 2006
This is by far the best LCD HD big-screen tv on the market offering as pristine a picture as it does for the price. This tv has the exact same HD procesor as the Sharp and Sony 1080p LCD televisions for sooo much less. It has the easiest remote control I have come across. Lots of extra picture refinement options--like Theater Pro and auto room light contrast adjustment. The true black and white is amazing--no cloudly pixelated dark or bright areas in screen. I highly recommend!
on December 19, 2006
After much effort spent copmparing the top brands in all three types, this JVC stood out as the best choice for me. The picture with SD material is very good and with HD material it is excellent. The sound system on this unit is amazing. Not 'home theater' quality but very good for self contained speakers.

The remote is very good and the menus for the various functions are pretty much intuitive after you use them once or twice. The style and looks of the cabinet are exactly what we wanted; all black with simple lines. A very pleasing set to have in the room.

My wife and I agree this was money very well spent. We have a TV of the highest quality that will be with us for many years to come.
on February 11, 2007
Before buying my first big-screen TV I did quite a bit of reading and in-store research. Would have bought the Sony 46-inch Bravia with its clear 'frame' around the outside of the set because of its beauty. But my wife and I decided we will buy or build a structure that will hide our

TV when it's not in use, so beauty wasn't worth an extra $800 when it is going to be hidden.

That led me to the JVC, which has a very high-rated picture and seemed to have everything I wanted. I have not been disappointed in my choice. I bought from Video Only, which delivered the set and had it set up and working in 10 minutes.

I have had this TV for two weeks and have used it with all the channels I get on Comcast plus numerous DVDs. Have not tweaked the picture settings, as out-of-the-box is very pleasing. The difference from the conventional TVs I have owned in the past is nothing short of mind-boggling.

The sound is much better than I expected. I will install a surround sound system next month, but in the meantime the sound is quite satisfying for coming out of a television.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, it's slow to shift from one input to another. Fortunately I don't do this very often, and I can certainly take an extra 10 seconds to go through it. I believe the way to solve this will be to route all signals to the TV through my A/V receiver and let the receiver do the switching.

The instruction manual could be better, and the menu system is not intuitive. A JVC support person on the telephone told me how to quickly get to the menu I wanted, and it worked like a charm. But now I cannot remember what she told me. It's pretty obscure.
on February 23, 2007
As a subscriber to Consumer Reports, I tend to consider all of the products that they mention as top-rated; however, I also do my own due diligence since I tend not to believe everything I read. However, with that said, I also value my time and would rather read about a product on the internet than go to a store and waste my time with sales people. (I also live in the city and do not own a car). So, when I read about this TV in Consumer Reports as THE top-rated LCD TV on the market, I was very excited since I was in the market to buy my first flat screen. I immediately went online to get more information about it and I must say, I am extremely satisfied with this purchase, which accounts for the most expensive single electronic item that I own. I am someone that will pay more for quality; however, I also like to seek out the best value for my money. With that said, I really can not be more pleased with this purchase! This is truly a superb value for the money. I also searched the internet for the best price on this TV after I decided to purchase it and Amazon had the overall best price (after shipping was added) which resulted in a $1500 savings from the MSRP in Consumer Reports. Also, with Amazon's "white glove" delivery, the TV was delivered to my home with the utmost in customer service. Considering that I purchased this item from my laptop without leaving my home, I figure I also saved a lot of wasted time by not having to actually go to a store. I also rely heavily on how people rate products and I must say that this product is definitely a 5 out of 5. Please note that you will have to play around with the default picture quality for all 4 Video Status (Standard, Dynamic, Theatre and Game) to get the best picture but once you save them, you will be more than pleased with the results. Plus, you can save each status individually and flip through them to get the best picture once you tune to a particular channel. (I recommend that you play with the picture quality while viewing an HD channel... also, subscribe to HD... $5 extra a month... if you truly want to reach the potential of this TV). Also, the sound quality is fantastic for a TV. I listen to the digital music channels without using a stereo system for now... however, I will probably change that in the future). In summary, this is an excellent TV for the money... hands down. DON'T use the TV with the default settings, however. You will have to read the manual and adjust everything to reach it's potential, so a little patience is needed. I spent about 2 weeks in my spare time reading and adjusting until I got it just right and now I scoff at other TVs because they just don't measure up. I can literally read the on-screen print from 40 feet away with no problem! The picture is so clear, it sometimes hurts your eyes to look at it! (I'm serious). Buy it... you won't regret it. And, oh yeah, the price keeps going up, probably due to demand (and Consumer Reports)... I paid $2300 in January 2007... so, hurry!!!
on January 16, 2007
This is just an all around Great HDTV. Spent $2400 on it and it was worth every penny. Like any TV it does have its pro's and con's but trust me the con's are not very many.

The best part is the picture. The quality was better than almost any HDTV at the store. Even with a normal comcast HD broadcast it just looks great. Infact that was one of the only reasons why I forked out anonther $600 for the PS3. With the Blue-ray player it was just mind-blowing the clearity of the picture. Even the normal TV channels were pretty good with the aspect button on the TV. Most of the time I could find a ratio that worked with the channel that was coming out.

Out of the box the TV set up pretty easy. Does not take a PHD to hook up the HDMI cables and the set up was all of about 2 minutes. The hookups in the back are easy to get at and they come with a cover to make it sleak in the back so you don't really see them. The 46' screen is perfect size for the room its in (glad I put up the extra bucks to get the 46', the 40' would have been to small).

Also one thing that you would not think of being great on a TV is the sound. The sound quality and the bass can fill up my room. I almost would not have to hook it up to the suround sound. It is a big bonus to have great speakers on a TV.

It does have some minor issues, KEY WORD "MINOR". Is not enough to make me even think of taking it back. First one is the how long it takes to change the input. If you want to switch from Digital 2 to Digital 1 you have to scroll threw all the other 4 to get to it and it takes a couple seconds. Second is, I think the refresh rate might be a little slow, which is hardly even noticable but you can catch it sometimes. It might just be LCD TV's or it might be comcast. Third and final is for some reason I can not figure out how to get 1080p with the PS3. I think it has something to do with the PS3 but not sure? If someone has an answer that would be great. Still way better than DVD at 1080i witht he Blue ray.

Again "THESE ARE NOT EVEN WORTH SAYING, BUY THIS SET". Just some things I noticed. I still give the JVC a 5 star rating and am looking at the JVC 40' for my bedroom. Also hats off to JVC never knew you could make a TV like this.
on March 7, 2007
I actually made the decision to purchase this not only because of the size, HD quality and price, but mostly due to the great reviews on this thing. Read them, they really are informative on this particular item.

I have to say, the delivery service alone was fantastic. They called us before, during and after the delivery. We were impressed with that aspect even before we tore open the box and got to experience the tv itself.

Wow. This is coming from a person who can care less about televisions. I now know why people get hooked on these things. Even in the daylight, the picture is clear as a bell.

Sound is just right too. There is a speaker all along the entire bottom of the TV, so the surround sound is realistic. No enhancements needed (thankfully for the wallet).

Our first show we watched in HD was so BIG it was dizzying. Kind of like a mini-Imax theater in your home. We hooked our Xbox 360 to it and the HD games are mesmerizing.

I can't say much to add to the technical side of the reviews above and below me.

This TV was a huge value.

It does get very warm if left on all night (not something I'd recommend).

Get HD cable if you have it. Otherwise don't bother, since you'd be wasting the full potential of this thing. Big difference between HD and normal cable.

Got this for my husband who was amazed that I could get such the "perfect TV". How'd I do it? READ THE REVIEWS. TAKE NOTES. Get the right size for your home. This 46" is measured 46" from one upper corner to the opposite lower corner. Get out a tape measure and do the same to get a feel for how big you want to go. It is HUGE if you are not used to anything over 36" in old-school tv's.

Get the highest HD # out there (that 1080 p thing) and you are good to go if you are shopping around.

Also, we compared the projector versus plasma versus flat panel and came up with flat panel to be the best option.

Plasma is out if you have kids. One flying object and the screen could lose pixels (or whatever you call them). Projectors are out. Do you know how technical and huge those things still are? Wait a little longer until they get smaller and not so IF-Then -Else-ish as far as what type you need.

Flat panels - best decision we made this year so far in gadgets.

Now go read the more technical reviews and make up your own mind.
on May 29, 2007
This TV is everything I hoped it would be. I spent a month reading every forum and review I could find before I finally picked the JVC LT-46FN97. If you read AVSForum, you will see that many highly touted brands have chronic problems (clouds, flashlights, banding, eggs, HDMI handshake problems....). In reading a 47 page thread about the JVC, none of these problems were ever mentioned. I had finally found a 46" LCD that worked.

Not only does this unit have a beautiful picture, but the sound is the best I've ever heard from a TV. My wife thought I had the home theater speakers turned on, the first time she heard it. Also, looks great in the room. The matte black finish and the clean front panel really adds to the looks of the room.

Buy this TV!
on April 10, 2007
We love this TV!

It's connected to our DVR by HDMI and to a LG Home Theater in a Box with an optical digital cable. Great HD picture, great sound.
on July 8, 2007
Before purchasing this TV, I had never seen it in person. I saw the 40" JVC next to a Sony and the difference was noticeable. The clarity and crispness of the picture was incredible. I read all the reviews and decided to roll the dice on the 46".

I could not be happier. It is a great TV with a great picture. The TV is partnered up with a Yamaha YSP 1100 sound projector. This combination has taken our home theater experience to another level. I would suggest getting a professional to install and make sure to get an HD box. You will not be disappointed.

I highly recommend this TV.
on January 28, 2008
I purchased this TV at a military exchange in September 07 for $1700 after a manager's rebate, a first time credit card 10% off and a manufacturer's rebate (the perfect storm of sales). After getting it home and using it for several weeks, I would have paid twice that.

It has a beautiful picture. VERY dark blacks. Colors are beautiful and sharp but in 1080p, it's soft enough that it doesn't hurt your eyes during extended watching.

I would 100% recommend this TV to anyone and everyone. I have had zero problems with it, even the on screen menu that isn't very intuitive is a breeze after several operations.

See 1 answered question