Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: KW-R500
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on July 10, 2013
I own a 2004 Saturn Vue. After having owned it for about 3/4s of a year, I started to get sick of the stock audio system, especially considering the fact that two of the speakers were blown and constantly rattling, so I started to slowly upgrade all of the sound equipment.

Despite what most online and phone customer service representatives tell you, a double din radio WILL fit in a Saturn Vue, and let's be honest, that's what should be there anyway. I'm not a fan of that empty hole underneath radios. What's supposed to go there? Pens?

So after selling off my first aftermarket head unit, I set out to find a double din unit. Google it, and surprise surprise, you're looking at 200+ dollars... That is, until I saw this radio. Sure, it isn't touch screen like most of the double din units, but that didn't stop me from falling in love with it.

So anyway, here's the pros and cons overall.

Pros -

Great looking radio. JVC really did this one right. The amount of colors that are available is great. It's easy to customize it to what you want.

Sound quality is very good. This directly powers four 6.5 inch MTX terminators and it can take them straight to max volume without distortion. However, I do have a Kenwood sub that is powered by a 150 watt amp, so not much bass going to the speakers.

It's cheap, especially for a double din. Maybe in the way of a single din it's not cheap, heck, there's definitely cheaper, but it's a bigger unit. Great value.

The control layout is nice and spacious. I always felt like single din layouts were cramped, mainly just because there's a lot that you have to fit into a small area. Buttons have an average feel to them and the knob handles nicely.

I also love the amount of inputs available. I rarely use the front aux as I actually just ran an aux to the rear aux port and have it running up through my glove compartment. Having two aux inputs, USB, CD, and an AM/FM radio is a luxury.

Cons -

Feel like the company put a little too much emphasis on Apple devices, but this is a problem no matter what company you deal with. I don't use Apple products, I use android, and overall it works okay with my phone (yes I downloaded the app) but not as good as I'd hope. Maybe I will put more time into that.

One thing that thoroughly annoys me is how the input is automatically switched to USB when I plug my phone is to charge through the USB, but I guess that's to be expected. I suppose I'm in the minority of people who only use the USB to charge.

The actual menu is pretty hard to navigate at first, and there are a lot of options. This isn't really a bad thing. Just make sure you read your manual if you aren't too experienced with audio or head units. There's a lot of options to consider. The one thing that really irks me about the controls is the amount of time you have to long-press a button for certain actions (adjusting user EQ). I wish that that time were shortened by a second or two.

Overall -

Excellent radio. I would recommend it to anyone. There are endless options and the pros heavily outweigh what little cons there are. One last note, just make sure that you purchase a stereo installation kit if you have an older car, a car with a single din radio in a double din space, or if you are bad at making your own brackets. I chose to buy one because I didn't want to put the time into making my own brackets and because I had a lot of extra space around the border of the head unit and the trim.

Buy this radio.
on June 24, 2012
Was looking to replace my stock oem double din radio in my honda passport . Wanted somthing that looked good but didnt break the bank. For $120 you cant beat this JVC, w/ all the different color displays, aux, and usb, very funtionally and works great. Made my stock speakers sound very good aswell.
55 comments|31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2012
This JVC KWR500 offers alot for the price. I installed this in my 2005 f350. There are some great features adjustability wise if you opt to run the front or rear/sub preamp outputs. Full subwoofer control, high and low crossover, as well as crossover adjustments. The color change option between the screen and buttons is really nice. This allows for total customization to suit the users needs. I added this HU along with a subwoofer and amp and am extremely pleased with its capabilities. If your installing in an 05-07 F350 you will need an install kit (I purchased mine at BestBuy locally. The BestBuy kit fit perfectly and centered the HU perfectly in the dash. It did need 2 tabs clipped off the install kit for the dash to fit over the bezel of HU but these tabs were not needed, no trimming of the dash was needed like alot of other models will need to fit in the factory dash housing and everthing is mounted securely). Hands down, great item, great performance and great price! I highly recommend this item to anyone needing a 2 din unit that doesnt want to spend several hundred dollars.
on March 13, 2013
Very nice system. I used it to replace my Monsoon VW head unit. Make sure to purchase a wiring harness, removal tools, and antenna adapter. I also purchased a Double Din faceplate intallation package. I did not need it.

This was my first stereo removal and installation. Fairly straight forward. Removed and installed in about two hours. I soldered all wires from harnesses together and taped over. This took the most time. My only issue (which I've read is particular to VW and Audi) is the 12v ignition wire. I was able to take the power wire to a terminal and install an inline fuse. This means that the radio will turn off when turning the vehicle off. Otherwise, if the 12v battery wire is the only power, the radio will not turn off when the key is removed.

My major reason for purchase is for Pandora on my iPhone 5. It works extremely well; you can control Pandora from the car stereo. You can not control other radio style apps like IHeartRadio or Slacker.

Well worth the money.
on April 20, 2013
I bought this as a replacement in my mom's VW Golf. I fits the double DIN space perfectly.
I was very easy to install using the wire harness that is made for your vehicle (purchased separately).
Some car manufactures have a unique antenna end and require an adapter, this was one of those.
I purchased this from Crutchfield and I got the CD unit, wire harness for VW Golf, antenna adapter, and some other install piece that was not needed for $129 with free shipping.
The radio is pretty awesome for the price. You have 29 different colors to chose from for the display.
The best feature was the iPod/iPhone USB port, when you plug the iPod/iPhone into the USB port you can use the buttons on the radio to control the iPod/iPhone. You can select song, playlists, artists, and album. It comes with a remote control as well... (I have a similar unit in my car and that remote was lost within weeks of purchase, it is hard to keep up with)It also charges the iPod/iPhone while its plugged in.
on May 22, 2014
I got this to replace a stock radio, and it was an upgrade in sound quality and user options. I sold the car but kept the radio and put it in my next one - again a stock radio swap, and it did it again. The display color options let me adjust it perfectly to the dash light color in both (different) cars. I use it mosly (if not only) with USB, so here is the one star off: I listen to a lot of mixes which are divided in different tracks/files. Now everytime it changes from one track to the next there is a second of nothing, which of course breaks up the mix. Well thats my only complaint, other than that I'm happy.
on June 24, 2013
Changing display and audio settings was very easy. The unit sounds great and fit perfectly! The remote is tiny and I would think easy to lose. A little velcro tape prevents that.I am very happy with this purchase!
review image
on August 30, 2013
My husband wanted more options than the stock stereo offered in his 2008 Nissan Versa so he bought this brilliant little monster. He isn't a professional installer but he put it in himself and everything seemed to go smoothly. The stereo worked perfectly and has a bunch of buttons and stuff that I have yet to press. The display is nice and clear and it fits inside the console pretty well. His ride has gone from boring box to party cube, sort of.
on November 30, 2013
I bought this for my daughter's Nissan, I liked it so much I bought the single DIN version for my Suzuki - I especially like the display "color matching" - I can match her car's white dash color during the day and amber at night. The built in iPod controls allow here to control the iPod right from the unit - I don't think she's ever played a CD in it - although I have.
on August 13, 2012
This was an easy radio to install and I like the features that come with it. Loud enough and the big buttons make it easy to maneuver. Cool multi changing or not display colors.