Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now DOTD

on September 10, 2010
Nifty little camera. I've played with it for two days.
The Pros:
1. Really decent performance in low light/ indoors/ darker environments.
2. Image stabilization that other pocket video cameras don't have.
3. Really, really fun time-lapse function at 3 different speed settings.
4. Very innovative software for editing stored internally in camera memory. Lots of novel effects.
5. Ability to shoot multiple still photographs in succession by simply pressing down and holding shutter button. Decent quality.

The Cons:
1. AC adapter is optional and I can't find out where I can purchase one. Essential for time-lapse photography at the longest/ slowest setting. I fully charged the battery and only captured 2 full seconds of time-lapse footage over an hour before the battery was fully drained. Not sure about battery performance when shooting in standard mode.
2. Sound on this model is recorded in mono, NOT stereo. If I knew this in advance of purchase, I would have purchased the water-proof model (JVC Picsio GC-WP10), which not only captures audio in stereo, but also records audio mp3 files. The perfect combination to smuggle into your favorite concert.
Overall, pleased. Better video quality than my Vadio. More features. Nice touch screen.
55 comments67 of 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 8, 2011
This product is sold as a pocket camcorder, but don't plan on actually using it for too long before you risk cracking the screen. I put a lot of research into the decision to buy this model, I liked it right out of the box so I invested in a few memory cards and a thick neoprene carry case to keep it well protected.

I pulled it out of the case this past weekend to film my daughter's race and was completely shocked to see a slight crack down the entire center of the 3" screen. Since this is a touch screen, I could not work around the crack, the recording button was working only randomly. I was hoping it was just a cosmetic problem that I could live with, but unfortunately it will not function properly and most of the menu buttons do not work at all.

What I have learned is that this PICSIO FM2 is ridiculously flimsy and more fragile than any personal GPS or phone I have ever owned. I have invested in many electronic devices over my 45+ years and I treat them with care and respect. There was no dropping, impact, neglect or abuse of any kind to this product - I realize accidents can happen and I would not feel this upset if I thought I caused the crack in any way, but not in this case. I researched the replacement touch screen on JVC's site and the cost for the part alone is nearly 1/2 of the camera itself ($76 plus shipping for just the screen!).

I spent nearly 30 minutes on the phone with JVC Customer Support today and received no consideration or satisfaction whatsoever. I realize a broken screen falls into instant 'NO WARRANTY' category so I asked JVC if they could at least extend me some sort of courtesy discount to purchase the part and that was very quickly rejected. My request to speak with a supervisor was ignored as I was left on hold for 20 minutes without the courtesy of anyone even picking up during my wait, so I eventually hung up in disgust.

I could not be more disappointed with the poor quality of this camcorder and I am angry at the lack of cooperation on the part of the manufacturer. I learned my lesson about JVC the hard way and will never buy another of their products. I work for a Golf GPS company and our reputation is built based on the way we stand behind our products when something goes wrong within the first 3 weeks (since usually that signals a weakness or problem).

I hope this review is helpful to anyone considering the purchase of a JVC camcorder, it is subject to unexpected breakage without reasonable cause and there are no options for repair or replacement.
11 comment16 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2010
Overall, a good handheld camera that does what it is intended for, takes relatively close-range, controlled-environment footage. If you are out and about and want to film your immediate environment, I like the size, quality, function, and screen. But if you are in a new place and are trying to capture it all - far away, different lighting situations, etc. - make sure you have another camera on you.
on February 11, 2011
I bought this at a great price and found that I take it with me wherever I go. Takes nice HD video. Plugs in to a tv via hdmi mini cable (optional) and the videos look great. Easy to hold and the audio isnt too bad. Has lots of useful features.
on November 13, 2011
I bought this with a monetary gift when I retired so I could take videos of my travels. It was self explanatory in its use. I do miss a viewfinder because when it is sunny, the reflection on the viewing screen makes it difficult to see what it is you are videotaping. Otherwise it is fine.
on November 9, 2011
Overall pretty impressed with this camera. Not the greatest in the darkness but I expected that since it doesn't have an external light. The zoom works pretty good & the touch screen is very responsive. Good bargin for the price & a great beginners ccamera.
on January 31, 2013
Purchased this for my daughter at Christmas, she loves the portability of it and it really does take nice pic, and good video. Actually much better than I had expected for the price.
on June 11, 2011
THIS CAMERA IS SO EASY AND FRIENDLY TO USE. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS TO EVERYONE
WHO WANTS TO CAPTURES HAPPY AND SPECIAL MOMMENTS AND SAVE THEM IN THEIR COMPUTER.
on January 29, 2013
purchase one in yellow and 2weeks later it fell and broke. so i waited till i found another one on sale and "bam", bought it! great pictures great every thing!
on October 14, 2012
I love this camera. I use it all of the time! Easy to keep in my purse all the time.