5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product for What I Needed

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for home Use....atleast not my home
Published on March 19, 2011 by Regina A. Walter

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for home Use....atleast not my home, March 19, 2011
This review is from: JVC SR-HD1250US BLU-RAY DISC & HDD RECORDER (Electronics)
I will try to give anyone interested in this unit some important informa to consider. It did not work for me at all, but it might work for you. To begin the unit is marketed by JVC but I do not think it is their original product. The unit comes in a basic box with no company advertising on it. It does say JVC on the unit but on the menu screens during operation make no reference to JVC at all. It looks very much like the TASCAM Blu-Ray recorder and I would guess it is the repackaged same unit.

First the unit will record to BD-R and BD-rewritable formats as well as DVD-R and RW (not DVD+R or RAM). It will read from +R discs. It is copy protected so if you think you can duplicate store bought DVDs and BDs, you can put that thought to rest....you cannot. All material must go through the HDD first. There is no direct recording to blank media. This is not a bad thing as you can do editing when the title is on the HDD. The unit has several recording modes for High Def and Standard Def. It has NO flexible bitrate modes so you must use the standard modes. For example, for HD recording it offers modes of 2 hours / 4 hours or 6 hours on a 25g disc. The times modes are the same for SD. You can do direct dubbing from a disc to HDD as long as it is copy protected. This means you can dub your TV recordings of CSI to the HDD. It will re-encode the material at the mode selected, for instance SP for 2 hours (SD). This would be a very good thing if you had commericals recorded and you wanted to remove them and then dub the edited title to another disc. You can do those kinds of edits. If your original recording had chapter marks they will appear in the same spots on the HDD dub so you can remove them and input them where you want, or delete portions of the recording, give it a title and select a thumbnail image that will appear on the final menu. These things are pretty nice options.

This is where my problem with the machine came into play. First it has no COMPONENT INPUT, so for me recording HD could only be done from a HD video camera, which I do not own. My cable TV HD box has only a component output but no HD-DV output, which is what this unit requires for HD dubbing, so I could not dub recorded HD to this machine. I could have lived with that.

On page 28 of the manual it gives recoding lengths for each recording mode and how they apply to each recording format. For example, if you record a title in the SP mode, which is 2 hour on standard definition 4.7g DVD-R it would translate to 10.5 hours on a 25g BD-R. To any reasonable person this would imply that this machine could actually put standard defintion on a BD-R? It cannot. If you record in standard definition you must dub it to a DVD-R or RW. It cannot be dubbed to BD-R. So why tell the buyer that you can get 10.5 hours of standard definition on a BD-R disc, when this machine cannot do it. I do not know, I tried to ask JVC and got no response.

This is what happens if you try. I wanted to take all 14 Sherlock Holmes movies starring Basil Rathbone and put them on 2 BD-Rs in standard definition. Using page 28 as a guide, I did my math and they would fit easily with an hour to spare on each disc. This would be using the SP mode for standard definition. First I had to dub them from the original discs which I recorded off TCM. I had one disc per movie recorded at approximately 7.2 mb/s which is a high birate and would be re-encoded to the SP level of 5.0 but this would mean very little actual loss of image quality. The encode in real time. I did all 14. I should have done one and tested it. It would have saved me 20 hours.

The actual dubbing process went smoothly and all 14 titles were nicely stored on the HDD. I did have to pick the thumbnail images for each and input titles, which is horribly difficult on this machine compared to DVD recorders from Panasonic and Pioneer. After completing this, I inserted my first blank BD-R, only to see the message, disc is incompatible. I had purchased 20 GIGABLOCK discs on Ebay as they were the only ones I could find that said they would work with this unit....they do not. I went to Bestbuy and bought a three pack of Verbatim at $15. The machine recognized that disc and formated it. So stay away from cheap discs in this unit. I followed the dubbing from HDD to BD-R instructions and when the unit detected that a BD-R was inside, I got the message, titles will be dubbed in HD qualty only. I could not change this. I thought well let us try. I selected the first title to be dubbed and received a message that read "some titles cannot be dubbed). This is all it said, just some titles canot be dubbed. This message does not appear anywhere in the manual. No matter what title I selected no standard definition title could be dubbed to a BD-R disc. I put in a standard DVD-R and it would have dubbed it with no problem. I checked in the manual under record mode convertion thinking that I could somehow tell it to do what I needed done, afterall the page 28 graph, said a BD-R could hold 10.5 hours of SD on a disc. But I found that only HD titles on the HDD can be converted down to SD, so you can take a high definition title and put it on DVD-R but it is re-encoded in the mode to fit on the disc.

So that is it for me on the unit, I hope it helps people make a decision. It was a horrible mistake for me, but luckily I had a 15 day return policy to protect me, so I am only out shipping cost. If your HD cable box has a HD-DV output or you want to put your HD videos from your camera on disc, this unit may be very good for you. It just did not work for me. A word of warning even on some of that, as I understand it, many HD broadcasts have copy protection built it which allows only one copy of the material. For this unit that would likely be the transfer to the HDD, it then may not allow dubbing to disc, unless it was converted to SD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product for What I Needed, August 12, 2013
This review is from: JVC SR-HD1250US BLU-RAY DISC & HDD RECORDER (Electronics)
I don't actually own this product but the VERY closely related model JVC SR-HD1500. The reason why I am writing the review for this model is because it looks like this model is being more pushed on amazon, what I believe are close similarities between the two products, and because I want to get the word out about these great products. The reason I want to get the word out is so that more people buy stand-alone Bluray recorders, that they become more commonly sold, and that their prices come down. Basically, here is what I use mine for. I have a standard-definition, widescreen camcorder (a bit outdated, I know, but I like that I can fit more time on a single disc). I use it to film lots of mini-tapes documenting my vacation trips. I like to transfer my tapes via analog cable to discs and make copies for my family. In the beginning, I used a standalone DVD recorder. But I wanted to use the best quality mode (XP), which meant each DVDR only stored an hour of tape. I often film dozens of tapes on my trips, and the tapes end up being about 1 hour and 2 minutes long each. I don't like to drop the last two minutes from each tape, so the tapes get split among consecutive discs, which is annoying, plus, because of the 1 hour DVDR capacity, I end up with dozens of DVDRs for each trip. So my solution was to go to Bluray discs and a Bluray recorder. With that, I can fit 4 hours of DVD XP quality level standard definition widescreen on each disc. Not only do I not have the annoying splitting up of tapes among consecutive discs, but it takes one-fourth the number of discs. Some people may think you can just use a computer Blu-ray burner, but here are my feelings on that. I had one of the early CD burners, as well as one of the early DVD burners, each for computer. In the early days of each of these consumer products, I couldn't get either to reliably do what I wanted. Lots of disc burning errors. I believe it takes a while for the personal computer technology to catch up with each burner, so I haven't even bothered with burning Blu-rays with my computer's Bluray burner. I've had MUCH better luck with standalone DVD recorders, which led me to standalone Blu-ray recorders, such as this one (still hard to find and expensive). I have not been disappointed so far. I have heard some people say that you can't burn standard-definition video to the Blu-ray discs with these products, but that is not in line with my experience. I have to choose the disc format "BDAV" to do so. Then you can choose "XP" quality recording from the hard drive to disc, which I'm pretty sure corresponds to XP quality on DVDRs. I use a two-step process: I first analog-record the tapes from my camcorder's player onto the Bluray recorder's hard drive. I then record from the Bluray recorder's hard drive onto a recordable archival-grade blank Bluray disc. I've read the entire manual to figure out the optimal settings. It doesn't take that long -- maybe 4 hours or so -- but it's worth it. I haven't tried burning any high-definition discs, since I don't have a high-definition camcorder, I'm not (yet) that wild about picture quality, and I would then be in the same boat as I previously was with DVDR -- not enough time per disc as I would like. So far, for how I am using it, I haven't had any major problems, and have used it for burning many hours of trip Bluray discs. I really hope this has been useful information and will encourage others to try what I feel are great products.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lots of issues, February 24, 2012
This review is from: JVC SR-HD1250US BLU-RAY DISC & HDD RECORDER (Electronics)
IMPORTANT...if you buy this item and you ship it to use in Canada forget about the warranty (1 year parts and labour)!!!
Interface is not easy to use with multiple steps to get to some of the important functions etc...very important, missing to show the minutes of the titles you want to dub or the total you selected.
I dubbed on one Blu-Ray and after that cannot do it anymore...think I need to repair it already after 6 months (used only few times for dubbing on DVD-R).
Customer Service is the worse I have dealt with (both JVC Canada and USA)...very difficult to reach the right people/department and it feels nobody knows much and nobody gets back to you with answers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Both extremely good and bad aspects., November 13, 2013
Mark (Boston, MA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: JVC SR-HD1250US BLU-RAY DISC & HDD RECORDER (Electronics)
The good is it has many functions, the hard drive is great, it does control my sony pro camcorder, and it is nice to burn/record from several directions (blu-ray to HD or reversed). Here is the bad. It does not burn all blu-ray discs even when their specs are identical, it does not take high quality SD cards though it should, it only connects with some USB externals (works with some emory sticks and yet to get it to work with an external hard drive), it does not take all jpegs, and I have been yet to interface it with a computer. Sometimes have to burn to blu-ray with another device (s) and then upload it to the HD. I am glad I own it but its weakness are frustrating why they even exist.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, January 23, 2013
This review is from: JVC SR-HD1250US BLU-RAY DISC & HDD RECORDER (Electronics)
I videotape depositions and need to record directly from my camera via firewire to a standalone JVC DVD recorder. This recorder will not allow me to go directly to a SD DVD disk via firewire as an older model JVC SRMV45U/55U would. The older model controlled the start/stop function of my camera and this model does not. You have to firewire into the HDD and then dub to a DVD. Therefore I returned this recorder as it just did not meet my needs.

4.0 out of 5 stars JVC SR-HD1250 Blu-ray/DVD Recorder, December 6, 2013
This review is from: JVC SR-HD1250US BLU-RAY DISC & HDD RECORDER (Electronics)
Very good deck so far. Be prepared to read the entire owners manual since this is pretty complicated to operate/understand. It does require video to be recorded to the hard drive first, and then you can burn a DVD or Blu-Ray (I was not aware of that). The video looks sharp, and as an added bonus that I wasn't aware of, it allows me to iLink right to my JVC HDV Camcorder. I am very happy for that. For the price and what it does, it is well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Product is a great one, April 27, 2010
This review is from: JVC SR-HD1250US BLU-RAY DISC & HDD RECORDER (Electronics)
In having this product for 1 week now, I am very pleased with the results. It does everything I wanted it to do. I would recommend this to friends.