5.0 out of 5 stars Great Addition to the HD TV Experience

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound DIstortion & No Surround Effect
Published on June 23, 2012 by Pink Panther

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Addition to the HD TV Experience, October 8, 2011
This review is from: JVC THBC1 Soundbar Home Theater System SRS (Electronics)
Although we were happy with the sound of our new LG HD TV, it was just good TV sound and we wished to get more toward the home theater experience so we bought this unit on a 'what the heck' sort of impulse. We're glad we did. The unit has a modern high gloss black finish for the top, bottom and rear facing surfaces plus a standard grill sort of look to the front. The middle has the display showing if it's on, the modes and FM station among other minor details. The system comes complete with one exception and that's the optical connector for connecting to a modern digital device such as our TV. We purchased an Amazon brand optical connector. You can use analog RCA connectors instead, because the unit does have RCA in, but we figured for the minor cost of the optical cable we may as well be all digital rather than chancing degrading the sound by going to old fashioned RCA analog. The system does not come with RCA connectors either.

What you get is the sound bar / tube, a remote complete with lithium battery, a FM indoor antenna (just a wire really) and a power supply. Setup was very easy although connecting the FM antenna baffled me for a bit until my wife tried what I was reluctant to try: jamming the flower pedal looking end onto the central post of the 75 ohm coaxial input. The antenna is at best a minimalist solution. The FM part would no doubt work better given an antenna that's more than a tiny wire although since we're in a good reception area, this didn't matter to us. The bar / tube has an option to connect a sub-woofer. We didn't get one.

The system works as a stand alone or you can screw it to the wall if you have a wall mounted TV. I put this very near the floor on the bottom shelf of our TV stand on the theory that it'd resonate best there. The connectors supplied are generous in length allowing a good deal of flexibility in locating the bar / tube.

Our first test was with the FM and I'm happy to report it works well. We compared it to our Bose Wave Radio and think it sounds at least as good and perhaps better. The Bose cost a good deal more too, but then again, it's an older model so perhaps the new ones are improved. The real treat was when we switched to input from the TV. As I said earlier, we were happy with the sound from our LG HD TV, but just as we had hoped, sound from this changed the TV experience dramatically. Just using this in plain mode made for a more entertaining time but when we switched to Surround sound, the effect was dramatic. It really does come close to the theater experience. The separation isn't as extreme as, say, in a movie theater plus there aren't any behind sounds, but still, for this money and east of installation, the benefits are clear.

One other thing - this device is powerful. We have it located in a fairly large room and still keep the volume settings toward the lower end yet sure have no trouble in getting that 'shake your teeth' sound from it. Obviously this simple bar / tube cannot equal my friend's multi-thousand dollar many speaker home entertainment system but for the money, we're utterly thrilled with the vast improvement in our TV sound. Plus we got the bonus of a good FM receiver / speaker system. Just remember to order the optical connector cable if you get this or you'll not be able to hook it up properly to modern sources.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Soundbar, October 4, 2011
This review is from: JVC THBC1 Soundbar Home Theater System SRS (Electronics)
After 3 different 5.1 surround sound systems,I decided to purchase this JVC soundbar.What a difference.This thing is amazing!Sounds just like I was sitting in a walk in theatre.Extremely easy to hook up also.No more messing with 500 different wires to connect,yaay.

4.0 out of 5 stars great sound for little money, January 30, 2012
This review is from: JVC THBC1 Soundbar Home Theater System SRS (Electronics)
I was looking for a way to enhance the sound in the bedroom coming from a 40" LED Samsung TV. I also have a smaller TV located in an exercise corner in the same bedroom.
I tried several options; from a logitec computer 2.1 sound system to a bose computer loudspeaker pair. I did not like the results since the Logitec system was LOUSY!!! and I could not hook up the bose speakers directly to the TV sets due to the "small" fact that both TV sets had only a digital output and not a regular RCA audio out jacks. I hooked them up directly to the U-Verse setop and they worked great! The problem was the wiring and the cost - $270 for the pair. Instead of re-wiring the speakers in the bedroom I continued to look online and came across this JVC sound bar, and liked the posted reviews. I just bought the unit this weekend and the sound is great! no problems setting up - just plug, play and listen. The radio is a nice add on and I am very happy with the sound quality. The only negative is that the sub woofer output is a wired option and not wireless, but for the price I paid, I am not complaining, just enjoying the sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bettar than others around same price range, July 4, 2012
This review is from: JVC THBC1 Soundbar Home Theater System SRS (Electronics)
Let me start off by saying that I do not have a big, fancy theater room in my home. This is used in my TV room. I currently have an Insignia 37" LCD TV that like most of these types of TVs, have the speakers on the back which make the sound go away from you rather than towards you. I was looking for something that helped improve my movie and regular TV listening experience. This was my 3rd attempt.

So far, I had purchased 2 other soundbars at around the $80.00-$100.00 price range. They were the Visio VSB200 and iLive 2.1. The Visio was pretty good for the price, but the JVC has options not found on the Visio. The iLive 2.1 was a total piece of junk. The sound quality was horrible and crackly, and it doesn't have a digital connectivity option.

My new JVC sounds great. It is by far the best of the 3. Yes it was $40.00 more than the other two. But it was worth every penny. The speaker size is adequate for a TV room. The bass is acceptable and has the option of hooking up a sub woofer if need be. The lights on the front actually have text, unlike the Visio, and looks nice. But one of the things I like most about this soundbar is it has antennae that helps the TV signal if you choose to place this soundbar directly in front of your TV. Many people place these soundbars right in front of their TV which blocks the remote signal from the TV controller. This soundbar has an antenna that removes that block.

So far I am very happy with my purchase. I will update this posting if things change.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good soundbar no cables, February 2, 2012
This review is from: JVC THBC1 Soundbar Home Theater System SRS (Electronics)
DOES NOT COME WITH ANY CONNECTING CABLES. Produces great sound for the price. I had to buy an optical cable to connect my Vizio tv but the end result is much truer and cleaner sound than normal tv speakers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound and easy installation., January 9, 2012
This review is from: JVC THBC1 Soundbar Home Theater System SRS (Electronics)
My parents needed assistance in hearing their tv, and this product proved to be an excellent solution. The sound is accurate and very high quality. I plan on buying one for myself.

4.0 out of 5 stars JVC Sound-bar Review, October 13, 2011
rca (Texas,USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: JVC THBC1 Soundbar Home Theater System SRS (Electronics)
I wanted this to install on my wall TV to improve sound as speakers built in the TV are really not doing what I consider a good job, (too tinny sounding). I have yet to figure why older CRT TV's have much better sound as the speakers are small much like the LCD wall TV's out now, Maybe its to sell Sound-Bars......lol.

This Sound-Bar supplies really good audio & is so simple to connect with Component Connections. Just be aware if you use the TV Optical Jack you will need to route through your A/V receiver. After hook-up you'll be enjoying a much improved sound from your TV.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much enjoyment from JVC sound bar., July 4, 2012
This review is from: JVC THBC1 Soundbar Home Theater System SRS (Electronics)
This sound is great, I have a little hearing loss, but with sound bar movies, music and news are easier to hear. Real happy I bought it, and enjoy hearing everything again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound DIstortion & No Surround Effect, June 23, 2012
Pink Panther "Pink Panther" (Independence, MO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: JVC THBC1 Soundbar Home Theater System SRS (Electronics)
Seems well-built, nice overall size and average sound. The remote pass-through to my TV worked only when the unit was powered on and then only about 2/3rds of the time. There is no surround sound as there are no speaker outlets on the sides. Also, the sound would occasionally distort and waver up and down to the point of irritation. Maybe mine is a lemon, but I am returning it for one with the surround speakers at least aimed at the sides so as to throw the sound out and to the back to some degree.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, what a difference!, June 16, 2012
This review is from: JVC THBC1 Soundbar Home Theater System SRS (Electronics)
I bought this sound bar due to the fact that it was on sale,had pretty good reviews on Amazon, and had a built in fm tuner. For the price of $99, this thing was a steal!

I hooked this up to a 42" Toshiba Regza HDTV and I was blown away by the sound this bar produced. I heard sounds from movies that I never thought existed. The TVs built in speakers really deprive you of something so simple but adding this sound bar really changes your viewing experience completely!!

Having great sound to a great movie truly immerses you in the flick. I would definitely recommend this product to anyone that's looking for a great sound bar.

one recommendation though, be sure to grab a good optical audio cable before bringing this baby home. I picked up a Toslink Pipeline fiber optic audio cable and couldn't be more happier!