5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Duct (or Duck)
Published on July 4, 2011 by J. Rew

2.0 out of 5 stars Product has changed in the last year for the worse
I bought this item in February of 2012 and it was perfect. The adhesive did not leave a residue when removed, there was a slight texturing to the back which made it more durable and easy to rip off.

Published 21 months ago by Matt

2.0 out of 5 stars Product has changed in the last year for the worse, March 31, 2013
This review is from: JVCC GAFF30YD Premium Grade 30 Yard Gaffers Tape: 2 in. x 30 yds. (Black) (Office Product)

I bought it again two months ago and it's completely different. The backing is much weaker and does not rip as easily. I've had several occasions with this new one where I've removed the tape and the adhesive has stuck to the object, completely separating from the backing.

This tape is manufactured entirely different than it was a year ago, and in every way it's for the worse. I don't know if it's being produced by a different manufacturer or if something else has changed, but it's no longer the best choice on Amazon. This is one of the more affordable options here, but you're probably better off spending another dollar or two and choosing a different brand.

------------------------------------------
EDIT: 6/23/2013

I just wanted to provide a little more information here. Based on some other reviews here and some of the pictures submitted by other people, I now think that it may not be that the manufacturer has changed, but rather that this seller gets gaffers tape from different sources of varying quality and it's a complete gamble regarding which one you will receive. There is a very informative picture in the customer submitted photo section where a person bought four rolls and each was completely different.

In the last few months I've kind of gone a little gaffer tape crazy. I've been buying a whole bunch of other gaffers tape trying to find one that was as high quality as my first experience with JVCC Gaffers Tape (The product you're looking at now)

- In April I bought Allstar Performance ALL14253 Black 2" x 180' Gaffer's Tape which, though it doesn't mention it on the product details page, is made by ISC Racers Tape. Unfortunately I was not very impressed with the quality of this tape either and found it wasn't very good at staying adhesive for my uses.

- In May I started to look into Pro-Gaff Gaffers tape because the reviews seemed pretty good. For full disclosure, I'd like to note that I didn't buy Pro-Gaff from Amazon because it's available from Guitar Center and I could get a discount there, but it appears to be the exact same product that you can get at Amazon. I have found that the Pro-Gaff tape is better than the Allstar Performance ISC Racers Tape, but still not as good as my original purchase from JVCC.

And thus the quest for the best Gaffers Tape continues! I now have three rolls of gaffers tape stacked up that I'm not using and looking for the next one to purchase. In all honesty, I'm considering buying another roll of the JVCC to see if I can get lucky with another high quality roll and see if I can figure out who actually manufactures it. As I continue to search out the best tape, I'll keep this review updated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Duct (or Duck), July 4, 2011
This is great all-purpose tape, and one of the best-kept handyman secrets. Gaffer's tape is much better than the ubiquitous silver duct tape for lots of repairs and projects. I use it to affix bike computer sensor lead wires to my bike's frame, and this stuff sticks better and is more durable than any other kind of tape I've found. The fabric backing is very strong and offers lots of grip when attached to something. The adhesive is similar to that used on good quality duct tape (such as 3M) and far superior to the adhesive used on cheap duct or other kinds of tape. Gaffer's tape is excellent for attaching, removing, and re-attaching since it usually doesn't leave any residue and the tape keeps its stickiness. This tape is easy to tear by hand but it sometimes leaves the little threads like duct tape can if you're not careful with the tears. But overall it's easier to tear by hand than most duct tapes. The only quality that gaffer's has to cede to duck is in the weather-resistance department, where duct tape is a bit more water repellant. Overall, I reach for Gaffer's tape instead of duct tape for just about all my home and auto projects.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good gaffer tape, April 20, 2008
It's gaffers tape and it works great. Works for just about anything needed and won't leave the sticky residue. They also had very fast shipping

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Stuff, much better than Duct-Tape, June 2, 2011
I am using this Gaffers Tape to cover all the light-emitting power display lights in my home, e.g. the backup battery, monitor power indicators, really anything that is bright or blinks. I have also applied it to the auto flash on my point and shoot camera, because I sometimes forget to turn it off before I snap photos. The tape completely blocks light, is easy to work with, and doesn't leave a sticky residue when I remove it.

I can't really give it higher praise than that, since that is precisely what I was looking for when I purchased the tape.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the gaffers tape I'm used to, May 9, 2012
I just received this in the mail. I've been using gaffers tape for years. With my stash running out it was time to get some new stuff. This tape does do the most important functions of gaffers tape, it does not leave residue and you can tear it by hand. The fabric inside the tape, however, is far weaker than what I'm used to and the tape does not stick as much as I had hoped. Overall, this tape is not of the high quality that I expected from gaffers tape and I certainly do not think it deserves the rating it has gotten from other reviewers. In my experience gaffers tape should outperform ordinary duct tape in all aspects. These aren't the gaffers I was looking for, I'll go about my business and order some elsewhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars Get what you pay for, April 23, 2012
Not sure what tape the other reviewers received, but I won't be buying this again.

Bought to supplement my 'usual brand,' for a low budget event, that was going to need a couple of rolls, and maybe could become my preferred supplier and save my clients money.

4 rolls purchased - two different colors/kinds of tape received. One was the color and texture that I expected, the other three were more 'cloth like,' than any gaffers tape I've seen or used since I started using gaffers tape in 1983.

The four rolls are all different diameters and as promised they didn't leave tape residue. The residue problem is that they don't really stick to anything either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beats duct tape by a mile!, August 4, 2011
M. Waters (Bethany, OK USA) - See all my reviews
For those of you who have never used gaffers tape, you need to start now! In all my years of TV production, gaff tape was invaluable. It peels off the roll easily, tears very easily, and sticks extremely well to almost any surface and in almost all weather conditions. The very best thing about this product is how easily it can be removed without leaving a trace of sticky residue like duct tape is known to do.Granted, this product is expensive compared to duct tape, but trust me, there is a good reason for that higher expense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality gaffer tape, August 21, 2011
M. Bose (California, USA) - See all my reviews
Having worked in production a few years back I've had my experience with gaffer tape. This is the same type we used in production. Unlike some other brands this one is easy to stick and easy to remove without any residue.

Good product for strobist user.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked For Me, But..., January 14, 2014
tvtv3 "tvtv3" (St. Louis Metro East Area) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I purchased a role of this GAFFER'S TAPE to use for a theatrical production I was producing. Good gaffer's tape is better than any other tape around. Unlike duct tape or electrical tape, gaffer's tape is just as sticky and doesn't leave any residue behind once it has been taken off. Also, in general gaffer's tape does not damage services it has been placed on. For instance, we have used gaffer's tape on varnished doors and after peeling it away, the varnish is still there. Gaffer's tape is the stuff that gaffers use in movies. With that said, gaffer's tape is also much more inexpensive than duct tape and that's why it's not used as often or known about as much. The only negative is that gaffer's tape doesn't hold up as well as other tapes when used outside; gaffer's tape is made to be used in doors. Overall, I was pleased with the role of gaffer's tape I purchased.

As a side note, based upon an experience a friend of mine had ordering from the same vendor and upon some of the customer reviews at Amazon, I think the seller doesn't sell the same kind of gaffer's tape all the time. A friend of mine ordered an exact same role as I did from this seller, but it was not the same gaffer's tape. It was a slightly lighter black and didn't stick as well to surfaces. Not only that, but after he peeled away the tape (he ordered for a musical act), it left behind some residue. Therefore, although I had a positive experience with this seller and the tape I received, that might not always be the case. That's why I have only given this item three stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Leaves a sticky residue, not pro quality, March 10, 2013
Quality gaffer's tape does three things extremely well:

1) It tears neatly and easily
2) It holds cable (or anything else) where you put it
3) When you pull it off, it releases cleanly

This tape tears neatly. It holds okay (I've seen better).

But, unforgivably, it leaves a sticky residue behind. Residue on cable, on your fingers, on anything else you tape down with it.

If I was a gaffer (Hollywood electrician) and you used this tape on my set you'd be fired. Or, if I was feeling nice, you'd be tasked with cleaning the sticky tape residue off of every inch of cable, which means you won't be going home for a few hours. Welcome to show business, buy better tape next time.

A lot of positive reviews here are from people who have only ever used duct tape, I guess. This is better than duct tape, but that doesn't make it gaffer's tape.