5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT ITEM
when i decided to purchase this microwave i was hesitant because of some comments i have read before...now i have no regreats, what i really like about this microwave is the blower, whenever it gets hot it blows all the heat outside to make your kitchen cool again...great buy..
Published 20 months ago by claudia parillon

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality, Worse Service
Published on March 26, 2012 by D. M. Weiss

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality, Worse Service, March 26, 2012
This review is from: GE JVM1540SMSS Spacemaker 1.5 Cu. Ft. Stainless Steel Over-the-Range Microwave (Misc.)
Same as others who've posted all over online reviews. I'd give a zero rating if I could. Works awhile, stops working right after 1-year warranty expires. Magnetron is defective. GE knows this is a defect but kept making them defective. GE has some of the most arrogant customer service reps I've ever had to speak with. The oven will cost more to repair than to just buy new. Barely out of warranty, and they charge $100 just to come to your home and 'diagnose" the problem. This does not include cost of parts or labor. Took three phones calls to get price of the magnetron ($170) and CSRs refused to give any quote on labor. Refused to provide an estimate of 'hourly' labor charge. Disgraceful. Will NEVER buy another GE product again. Stay away from this product. Oh - and Consumer Reports shows that GE is tied for DEAD LAST in reliability for this product category. That's right - dead last.

1.0 out of 5 stars ;-( BAD! GE Appliances Going Not What They Used To Be..., July 22, 2012
We moved into a new house two years ago. All the appliances were preselected by the builder and were already installed. Over the last two years, I have learned by experience that the builder's selection of all GE appliances was an unfortunate choice. This microwave died a year and a half after we moved in ... conveniently, not long after the warranty expired. It was the keypad that shorted out and, since the only way to get a sense of what a repair might cost is to pay $100 and have a GE technician come out, I went that route initially. When the technician arrived and told me within four minutes of being in my home that parts and labor would cost upwards of $300 (which, of course, is in addition to the $100 fee just to show up), I was incensed. To replace the microwave would've only cost about $270 plus tax.

I think the technician could understand my frustration when I said, "given that this is the fourth GE appliance that we've needed service on, I suggest that you leave and pretend like you never showed up today." Although he left and I was never charged the $100 visit fee, I still need a new microwave.

Without going into all the details regarding repairs on the rest of our GE appliances, I will just say that we had 4 visits for our washing machine, and 1 visit for our refrigerator (which was leaking onto our hardwood floor in our kitchen). With just these three appliances alone, that's a total of six visits, and more importantly, six times that I had to sit around during the GE determined window for arrival. It also meant, on several occasions, that I had to take time off of work.

It may sound like I'm complaining, but that's because I am!

GE products (or at least their appliances) are not built well based on my experience. Buyer beware...

1.0 out of 5 stars Control Panel Dies after 1 year, April 23, 2012
Peter Poggi (Gaithersburg MD) - See all my reviews
I have to agree with the other 1 star review. I would also give it zero stars if possible. This is my second GE Microwave that has died after one year. Last time it was the turntable motor, this time it was the control panel. Of course the replacement is over $125. They produce garbage. No more GE for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ditto for all the above, October 25, 2013
My wife and replaced a microwave that came with the house. Four years ago we bought a GE JVM1540SMSS Spacemaker Microwave. After 3 years a keyboard error message popped up and sure enough the microwave would not work. I bought and tried to installed the keyboard "board". No luck, the connectors were different. The service person with whom I spoke at GE said it would probably take not only the "right" keyboard, but also the controller board. Price for both $340.

So we bought a replacement same model for $287. It worked fine for 6 weeks, but one evening after going to bed, our smoke alarm system started blaring. The front end of our house was filled with smoke, you know the smell plastic makes...The microwave did not catch fire, it melted. The entire plastic front was "stringing' plastic a foot long. All the boards were melted together. After removing the microwave the kitchen cabinets, ceiling, floor and counter tops were black.

I called Serve Pro for an estimate on cleaning: the rep said $1200. My wife and I took a weeks vacation to clean-up.

After a bit of conversation Amazon agreed to refund the cost of the full cost microwave.

I can guarantee I will never buy another GE product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work, December 31, 2012
Received it and installed it. The fan went on and the fan blew but it did not heat. It took me two months to finally get a repair person to come out but he guessed and ordered the wrong part (magnitron). It turned out to be something else, I can't remember what, so they have to order that. I am still waiting. Fortunately my old microwave (Amana) still works out in the garage or I would be really frustrated. The repair person told me that GE has the most problems even though all the brands use the same components, from Korea. Must be something about the GE specs together that blows things up. I'll be staying clear of GE products from now on.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this GE Microwave unless you plan to replace it in 13 Months, January 28, 2013
Our old GE microwave that came with the house when it was built, lasted 12 years. We only replaced it because the clock display went out. We bought this 13 months ago. Exactly one month past the warranty it dies. After reading the reviews we have decided not to have the service man come out as it will be less expensive to just buy a new one. What is up with GE? My sister remodeled her kitchen a few years ago and put in all new GE Profile appliances. Her refridgerator and dishwasher went out within a year. After fighting with GE for a year to get the right parts, she gave up and bought a new refridgerator. The dishwasher still has issues, and she is just waiting for it to completely die so she can buy a new one of those! Wish I would have read the reviews on this lemon of a microwave BEFORE I bought it! Beware of GE appliances.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worn out after 14 months, January 21, 2013
I had a similar experience as the others, except I didn't ask much of the CSR at GE. One star is correct. I'm stuck with the design because of my cabinets, but this time I will get an extended warranty.

1.0 out of 5 stars GE JVM1540SMSS over the range microwave oven caught on fire, September 27, 2014
Mine caught on fire. The inner top service cover that is made out of plastic caught on fire.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible product!, April 7, 2013
I have had the same problems as the others who wrote on here. I had a white over the range GE microwave that started having keypad problems. Since I was upgrading to stainless appliances, I bought this one and after 3 yrs. started having problems with the keypad again. Some of the buttons stopped working, then one night I woke up to a beeping sound and on the microwave display it said service immediately. I will not buy another GE appliance again, I would like to know what brand is a good one to go with.

2.0 out of 5 stars Broken Keypad After 1 Year, December 3, 2012
I have to echo previous reviews. We got this microwave because it fit in with our stainless steel appliances after we redid our kitchen. It's actually a great microwave, I think, it looks great and the settings/features are really nice. But, a little bit after the 1-year warranty ran out, part of the keypad became defective--the numbers. Some of the other buttons worked so we could still partly use it while we diddled around before finally calling the repair technician. He came out, took one look at it and told us that it would be more expensive to repair it than to just buy a new one. Called and complained to GE, and we were able to score a GE credit worth almost the price of another microwave. We had specific space/look criteria, so we had to end up buying the same one. It's only a matter of time before it goes, too.

To add another note, my college apartment has the exact same microwave, only in white instead of stainless steel. The keypad also broke one day, and when I called to get it fixed they came out the next day and replaced the whole thing--apparently it happens so often they have a few of them just sitting around as replacements.

I'm giving it 2 stars because, while it is prone to breaking, it is at least a really functional/attractive microwave and we didn't have to pay very much on a replacement. If you only need a microwave for 1 year or less, it's a good buy. Any longer, which will be most people, find a different brand.