5.0 out of 5 stars Crushed It. Thank You.
Published 9 months ago by Warren Rachele

2.0 out of 5 stars be careful with the examples! (and don't buy kindle)
Published 6 months ago by Lindsay S. Nixon

2.0 out of 5 stars be careful with the examples! (and don't buy kindle), January 11, 2014
I met Gary some years ago. We tweeted at each other for a while and then... lived our lives. I hadn't thought about Gary (or his work) in years (plural) until one day his team started tweeting at me, asking if I'd pre-ordered the book. I checked the book out but didn't desire it, and went on with my life til his team followed up again. Then guilt-trip Facebook ads by Gary popped up everywhere until I finally ordered it.

I've now read it, and while I rated his other books fairly well, I can't in good conscience do that again. If you just signed up for Facebook today -- you might find this book helpful, though, be VERY careful with some of the examples. A few of the examples for FB ads Gary gives are in violation of Facebook's terms and you can be deleted. Gary is only showing off what other pages did, but it irked me that he would show ads and praise them (knowing people will likely mimic them) without saying oh, BTW, doing this can get your page deleted forever.

You'll also find outdated or irrelevant information. For example, Gary spends a long time talking about EdgeRank on FB (which Facebook killed months ago, and this is old news). Gary himself then says this several pages later. THEN WHY DID YOU JUST SPEND 10 MINUTES TALKING ABOUT EDGERANK?

I admire what Gary does, and I don't discount he's a media maven and social star (and some of the points he makes are true) but unless you're truly a beginner, I can't see getting much use out of this book (and even then, please check the rules and terms of service for twitter, instagram, fb, etc before doing ANY of the examples).

UPDATE: I left this out of my original review, but would like to add: this book certainly had some valid and thought provoking points, but felt like it was mostly theory (his theory), which normally I wouldn't mind, except the marketing for this book, as well as the premise of the book, promises you'll know *exactly* what to do, but I found very few actionable steps. I didn't leave this book with any new ideas. It confirmed some thoughts I had (and you'll find I said the same thing about Gary's last book, that the book left me thinking my gut instincts and practices were right), and that's nice, but I just didn't get much out of it otherwise. I'm sorry I was so disappointed, but I do continue to recommend the other books by Gary to others, and I am a CrushIt! success story, so it does pain me to write this review.

KINDLE: Do not buy the kindle version unless you plan to read it on your computer. It's impossible to read any of the example images on a kindle or phone. They are so tiny and if you magnify them its too blurry to see what it is or read it anyway

5.0 out of 5 stars Crushed It. Thank You., October 5, 2013
This review is from: Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook: How to Tell Your Story in a Noisy Social World (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The third volume in the Gary Vee library is the long-awaited `how' following his first two books that motivated readers to get in the game first and then figure out the rules of the sport second. In `Jab Jab', Gary tempers his unbelievable intensity and channels his depth of experience into page after page of tutoring on how to tell your brand's story on every major social media platform. This book is a [forgive me] knockout.

Vaynerchuk gets it. The temptation to hit your social media consumers with the big hit on every post is huge, but ineffective. The environment is not conducive to the constant pounding and a brand can be quickly tuned out by people who have the ability to filter the content they receive today like never before. The necessity of building a relationship with readers/viewers/media consumers is the foundation of Vaynerchuk's method. His Wine Library experience taught him well.

The most helpful component of the book is the Color Commentary section that concludes each platform's chapter. Viewing examples of what to do and not to do in the gospel of Gary gives legs to his explanation of the storytelling process. Buy the book and put it to work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Social Media Language 101, October 31, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a ton of social media books on my shelves, but none of them work quite the same angle as this author. While many books focus on the 'how-to' of a specific platform, or even go into detailed accounts of exactly what to post, this book focuses on something much more interesting: storytelling.

The author argues that stories change with each platform, and then goes on to show how your story should change in each instance. His six rules for storytelling on social media platforms inform the more detailed advice he gives for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, & Tumbler.

The six rules of outstanding content:

1. It's native.
2. It doesn't interrupt.
3. It doesn't make demands - often.
4. It leverages pop culture.
5. It's micro.
6. It's consistent and self-aware.

Simple rules, but implementing them without some guidance would be daunting. Gary spends time on each of the five platforms and shows exactly what works and what doesn't. The case studies at the end of each chapter are worth the price of the book alone.

Concluding thoughts:

* The Facebook & Twitter chapters were the most helpful
* You will learn something here that will improve you social media presence
* Engaging, easy read
* Great idea

If you own or work in any business, this is a great place to start. It's not a how-to and the author expects some media savvy on the part of the reader, but what you will learn about storytelling on different platforms will be invaluable for your company if you apply it appropriately. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Measurable Results!, January 2, 2014
My company has had a lot of success with social media the past couple of years. However, by implementing some of the strategies in this book, we immediately saw a 240% increase in reach over our best posts from the previous 3 months. Hard to imagine a brand that wouldn't benefit from this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing New For The Experienced., December 10, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I wish I could lie about this review because I love Gary V. I love his spirit and his enthusiasm. He arrived on the social media scene and embraced it when most people swore it was a passing fad or couldn't be bothered (the same people who now must hold up the waitress by "checking in" on Foursquare before they can give their drink order).
That said, this book was a failure for me. (Edit to add - I am very very picky when it comes to business books)
The first fail was comparing social media/engaging with customers to boxing. I just couldn't get past the vision of "knocking out" customers. This seems odd, I know -and I love hockey, and a great hockey fight, so I'm not opposed to sporting violence, but "jabbing" customers, right hooking customers, etc - it would make my brain pause, take me OUT of the message because it seemed to contradict the message of engaging - instead of "embracing" the customer, you "knock them out" which to me, is NOT a good thing.
The other big fail is much of the advice.
For me, Gary was an inspiration because he was learning and didn't seem to have a "Plan" - he was just being Gary. Now, I feel like he's falling into the trap of advertising - instead of embracing your quirks and just being yourself, he wants you to "plan" on how to best produce and distribute to knock out your customer.
He gives some examples and, as being a consumer, I feel what he is advising doesn't work (at least, for me). Facebook, for example, he advises not to constantly sell. I totally agree with that - however, he advises to, instead of sell, post something (a gorgeous photo of nature with and inspiring quote and then somehow link your product to that) - which is BORING and I, as a consumer, am sick of all the brands on FB constantly posting. I turned them ALL off except for Bluntcard because they are funny and they only post when there is new content.
Perhaps this is for "newbies" to social media, branding, or business. But for me, this was nothing new. As a matter of fact, it seemed to fly directly against what I always thought Gary V stood for (authenticity).
One book that changed me and really inspired me was The Tipping Point by Gladwell. I always feel I'm looking for books similar to The Tipping Point, something that challenges everything you've ever learned. One of the most recent books that I loved and had so many AH HA moments was Unconscious Branding by Douglas Van Praet. It's not a "how to manual" but offers fascinating insight that an entrepreneur could easily channel into their business.
I'd give him 5 stars for his personality (which I feel didn't come through in his book, actually) and spirit, but this book, for me, was no stars (but I just couldn't bring myself to give him 1 star).
If you read business books, this one offers nothing new, so you can sleep well knowing you saved a few bucks and some time. Perhaps if you're new - this might be for you?

4.0 out of 5 stars Social Studies, October 10, 2013
John Petralia (Fort Myers, FL United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Social media is powerful, vast and rapidly changing. Used effectively, social media can help a small firm out-sell larger ones. Properly crafted, a message on social media can go viral, ignite riots, topple governments, sell books and mops, create media stars, and new billionaires. The trick, as they say, is knowing how to use it. Enter Gary Vaynerchuk. His new book is a must read for anyone who wants to use this new media to sell whatever needs selling. Crammed full of examples of both what works and what doesn't, the book is a useful guide for anyone who wants to get the most out of services like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, Tumblr, Vine, Snapchat, Google, Linkedin, and others. Oh, you never heard of some of these? Neither did I! But, after reading Jab, Jab, Jab etc. You had better believe I'm going to learn how to use them. Remember what Marshall McLuhan taught us thirty years ago: "Societies have always been shaped more by the nature of the media by which men communicate than by the content of the communication. " I believed him thirty years ago, and I believe him now. The medium is indeed the massage.

3.0 out of 5 stars A few annoyances but still contains good info, December 15, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I first finished reading Gary Varnerchuck's "Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook", I was pretty sure that I didn't like it. It reminded me a lot of another book and the author's constant reminder of his other books and how good they were and go read it! was annoying.

And to be honest, it was annoying on my re-read. But that re-read was necessary because there is some good information in this book because to sell your product on the Internet is more than a website. One has to be able to navigate the different social media platforms and if you are selling something (even if it is yourself as a personality), you have to stand out and that's what the author sets out to do and to a large degree, he covers as much as possible (facebook, twitter, tumblr, etc).

If he didn't have those "read my other book" stuff that was distracting to me, I'd have given this a 4-star but so take my 3-star rating with a grain of salt and note that if you can ignore a few annoyances in order to get the useful information (and it is useful), then this is a book that is worth a look.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy the Kindle Version, December 14, 2013
Disappointed in the Kindle version. Pictures are terrible and difficult to see, which defeats the entire purpose of all the case studies in the book. The book is also difficult to follow in an e-reader format. I wish I had never ordered the Kindle version. This is definitely my last Kindle book...I'm done with Kindle. I've put the book down and picked it back up several times, hoping it would get easier to read as I got further into it. It hasn't. Since I really do want to read this book and I like Gary's work, I've ordered the book a second time, this time in hard copy.

I'm giving this a 3 star not because of the material or the book itself but because in my opinion, this book should never have been offered in a Kindle version. I feel ripped off, like I was sold something that's defective but now stuck with it. Apparently, I could have returned it if I had given up sooner...return period is 7 days for an ebook. If you buy a Kindle book, check it out immediately to make sure the book translates well in that format. Don't keep trying to make it work like I did because the clock is ticking.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not his best work, January 30, 2014
I am a big fan of this guys energy. But I was disappointed in the book. I know this May piss off the mass of friends & fans and followers he has but I did not find the value in it like I have in books like crush it. I like him personally and will probably buy anything he writes but this one was a miss for me. I didn't even finish it. Which is unusual for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lots of hot air, May 6, 2014
After following GV on twitter and FB, I was initially excited about the book. His CONSTANT begging, cajoling, pleading for people to purchase his book during pre-sale and promise of a special gift for those of us who purchased 5+ copies only revealed his arrogance and inability to follow through with his promises of "I want to thank you personally and have something up my sleeve". Yeah, whatever.
Some good examples, but not worth purchasing 1 book, let alone the 5 he begged us to buy. I tried GIVING away the other 4 books and no takers. Waste of money. No good deed ever goes unpunished. The only Right Hook I got was in my wallet from wasting money on multiple copies of this book.

Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook: How to Tell Your Story in a Noisy Social World
Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook: How to Tell Your Story in a Noisy Social World by Gary Vaynerchuk (Hardcover - November 26, 2013)
$29.99 $17.95