4.0 out of 5 stars Very good all around with a couple of issues
I have a Droid X, and I bought the Clipper for very specific reasons. I've had very good mono headsets in the past (I liked the Aliph Jawbone the best), but I realized that I was talking on the phone through the headset less and less, and I was becoming very frustrated with wired headphones to listen to music and podcasts on my phone. So, I was looking for the best...
Published on February 1, 2011 by MSW1

3.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing But Not Without Issues
While I have used a number of Bluetooth headsets over the years for hands free calling, I am just now getting into the world of stereo Bluetooth thanks to my Droid X. After having seen the Jabra Clipper on Verizon's site, I decided to give it a shot. I will focus on the music experience since that is my purpose in getting this unit. I still prefer the speakerphone...
Published on November 28, 2010 by Philip R. Heath

‹ Previous | 1 2 365 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing at best, October 19, 2011
This review is from: Jabra CLIPPER Bluetooth Stereo Headset (Wireless Phone Accessory)
While this is a great idea, implementation leaves a lot to be desired.

As a reference, I have an iPhone 4 and also use a Jawbone Icon earpiece primarily for voice conversations - this combination is fantastic!

I really liked the idear of the Clipper - durable, Bluetooth connectivity to listen to music from my iPhone with my existing earbuds and wired-speaker ski helmet.

Two big problems with the Clipper:
1. Bluetooth connectivity is EXTREMELY weak. The only way the Clipper and my iPhone will stay connected is when they are within direct sight of one another and not more than 4-5 feet apart. Anything in between the Clipper and the iPhone will cause the Bluetooth connection to drop. This is probably what is causing the music to "skip". Unfortunately, the basic idea of having my phone in my back pocket and the Clipper attached to my shirt in the front is not possible.

2. No support for iPhone Voice Control (voice dialing).

I'll be sending this one back and looking for a better idea...

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't move! (and don't buy), February 10, 2011
I swear, I read the reviews about the sound skipping in music playback, but there were many more people writing that didn't mention the skipping (a pretty huge issue if you are writing a review) that I figured there were just people who didn't know how to use bluetooth. Lesson learned by me, people are not as dumb as I always assume and, sometimes, I am the dumb one.

I know how to use bluetooth very well and there IS HORRIBLE SKIPPING. I am more than 3 months in and finally gave up, there's no fix, there's no solution, this device is terrible flawed. Gave it to the domestic help and bought a Nokia one that is working great.

Here's the list of bluetooth devices I have paired with this for music and the audio skips if you move (to varying degrees):

Samsung Galaxy S
White box PC, tried 4 different bluetooth dongles
Nokia N8
Nokia N97
Several "shanzai" devices

I should add that its fine if you don't move, but if you do move it skips. Sometimes it skips horribly. The only device it didn't skip with is my brother's Motorola Bluetooth gateway.

This is my first and last Jabra purchase. Just horrible!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an incredible bluetooth adapter!, January 3, 2013
First, let me start by saying I am not a hard-core Bluetooth user. But, this adapter has surpassed my average-Joe expectations.

Use
I use this adapter at the gym to play music while using the cardio equipment and weight machines. I can set my iPhone on the treadmill, or out of the way so it doesn't get damaged, and have no issues with connectivity. I clip it to an elastic arm band, and it is so light that I can hardly tell it is there.

Connections
Pairing is easy, quick, and simple. I have it paired with my iPhone 4S, and have experienced good range where I can walk into another room and still be connected. Siri has worked fine when calling stored names or dialing by number. I have dropped one call, and it is unkonwn if the adapter dropped it, or if it was simply dropped by the phone. I have called people simply to test the microphone, and have called my own voice mail to leave a message. The comments of "I didn't even realize you weren't talking into your phone" were mentioned. It is literally sensitive enough to clearly pick up my whispering. It has worked very well in the car, in the gym, outdoors, and in the house.

Sound
The headphones that come with the adapater are pretty good quality, and I feel provide very nice sound. Even some good bass. I like the audio alerts of on and off, as well as low battery.

I really am pleased with this adapter, and it is is a very good buy in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, broke, was replaced promptly, October 8, 2012
O. Hyder (Cambridge, MA USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this item from Amazon a few months ago. The earbuds included in the package were rubbish. I continued to use them, regardless. After a few months of use, the actual bluetooth unit started to show separation of the rubberized electronics-containing part from the metallic clip. The clip was never stretched even close to the noted limits. I contacted the company for a replacement citing a mechanical failure of the device and was asked for the receipt. I mailed them my Amazon receipt and they sent me a replacement promptly. Great customer service and prompt response. I haven't used the new one long enough to know if it would suffer the same fate. However, I think that the mechanical failure was an isolated issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!, December 3, 2011
This is a neat item. I use it at work connected to a video editing suite and simultaneously connected to my phone. Be advised, when you answer a call, I have found that you will not hear your voice back through the earphones.

5.0 out of 5 stars The key to my perfect snowboarding (audio) setup., December 1, 2011
I have a set of Giro Tune-ups for my snow helmet, but was frustrated by the cords getting in the way or tangled constantly. I'd considered getting the Bluetooth link ones instead, but disliked the thought of spending the $60+ on something that could *only* be used with the helmet. Enter the Clipper: this little wonder paired quickly with my Droid 3, clips to the earstrap on my helmet, and (with a short additional double-male 3.5mm cord) I could not only ditch the cord that came w/ the Tune-ups and control the volume, but also skip songs and answer calls all without having to dig my phone from my pack.

Off-season I'm using it in my car to skip songs without having to grope for my phone's touchscreen (the Clipper, in this case, is plugged into my car's audio). Better for safety all around since I can easily feel where the Volume up/Skip button is instead of having to look for it on the screen while trying to focus on the road too.

A few additional notes on this: My phone's micro USB charger can charge the Clipper, but the Clipper charger does not charge the phone. Being a non-audiophile, the oft-maligned earbuds are fine for me, but the cord is so short you'd only be using it with the Clipper. Even using gloves I can control the Clipper, but only through a bit of practice (because I have it attached to my helmet I can't actually see where the buttons are). It controls the default Android music player with perfection, and can control the volume of the third-party music apps I've tested, but once you hit the center button to play/pause it opens the *default* app, even if a third-party one is running already.

2.0 out of 5 stars Started out great then VERY FRUSTRATING, November 11, 2011
Here's what I wrote when I FIRST bought it:
"Everyone who says this is difficult to clip on places is correct, but you shouldn't be whining. Consider the alternative - would you rather it fall off all the time? I think the design team made a good compromise on the clip. It appears to be very rugged and the covers on the charging jack and headphone jack are a big help.

I haven't noticed any loss in sound quality whatsoever, which is pretty amazing! I can finally use my nice Shure headphones wirelessly and not subject myself to the awful sound quality of most bluetooth headphones.ugh! The Moto 305s weren't bad, but my sweat killed them after about 2 weeks. I've had my Shures for about 4 years now so I know they can take my punishment!

I've only talked on it a couple times, but I haven't had any problems yet. I can listen to about 4-6 hours of music on a single charge, depending on volume and distance. It take about 1.5 - 2 hrs for it to fully charge.

The only reason why I gave 4 stars is that the signal can get interrupted pretty easily. For instance, if I have my hand around my phone, or around the Clipper, it starts to cut out. If I have my phone in my coat pocket, it still works fine. I just have to be mindful of my hand placement. Like all Bluetooth devices, it works best when there is a clear line of sight from the receiver to the sound source."

NOW HERE'S MY CURRENT OPINION:
I'm frustrated. I thought I found "the one", but this is not so. The Clipper is now giving me connection issues. My left channel now cuts in and out, depending on how I position the headphone jack. This is most likely a simple hardware issue with the metal contact points within the unit. I bet if I were able to take this thing apart, I could EASILY bend out the contact point giving me problems. Since I can't do that, I'll just return this Amazaon. I might get a new one and try my luck. Not sure, though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, could be better, February 11, 2014
K. Exline (Steambath, USA) - See all my reviews
This thing is such a lifesaver for housework and at the office. My headset cord always gets tangled on things when I keep my phone in my pocket. The Clipper gets around that issue -- I just attach it to my lapel or badge lanyard and coil any excess cord. The phone stays in my pocket, on the desk, or wherever I need it.

Since the microphone (in the base unit) is independent of the earpiece, you can pick it up and hold it next to your mouth. I've never been able to use a bluetooth earpiece, so this is a big advantage.

The multifunction button is a bit of a booby trap. It pauses audio recordings, and hangs up phone calls. This is usually fine, but if you're preoccupied or switching back and forth between the two, it can get confusing. By which I mean embarrassing.

The included headphones are not great, but you can plug in any standard 1/8" phones.

The range is only about 10 feet, so you might have audio dropouts if you leave your phone on the other side of a room. There's no chance it will work as you move about the house, like some smaller BT headsets do. I have also had reception problems when shopping with the phone in my coat pocket; not sure if the problem is caused by my body coming between the phone and receiver, or local interference.

2.0 out of 5 stars This is not worth $60, August 14, 2013
vespafive (South San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
At the time I bought this item, it was selling for $29.99. I'd say that was a reasonable price for this item. To see that the price jumped UP $30 more dollars was shocking. The reason for the shock on my part is that the Bluetooth connectivity is spotty (I have a Galaxy S4 and I have tried it with my old iPhone 4S, same result). The only way I could get uninterrupted Bluetooth connectivity while listening to music from my phone was if I clipped it right next to it (while my phone was in my pocket). And that's not all, with the phone's Bluetooth volume set to max as well as the Clipper's volume set to max, the output of audio is still medium to slightly loud at best. So the 2 things that were dealbreakers for me for this item was the spotty Bluetooth connectivity and the mediocre volume output (even with the phone's AND the Clipper's volume settings set to max). I would wait till Amazon decides to drop the price on this item again. It was amazingly $30 cheaper than the asking price you see now. Perhaps the demand went up? Who knows.

1.0 out of 5 stars No good, August 16, 2012
I bought this for riding on my motorcycle and just listening to music. Max volume is sufficient while still being able to hear music. Now what sucks is:

- Less than 4 hours of use on a full charge. Supposed to be up to 6. I used it to and from work. It's usually 40 minutes round trip, sometimes an hour.
- It's clipped onto my helmet, my phone is in my pocket; 2 feet away? Cuts out frequently and especially when I turn my head to check a blind spot.
- Not easy to clip on to things either
- USB is not a standard size so I now have to carry around an extra adapter

If it was between this or letting the headphone cords hang and get tangled, I'm going back to the headphone cords. It super frustrating when something performs poorly.

‹ Previous | 1 2 365 | Next ›