5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Wireless Headset, but not without Limitations
Published on November 29, 2011 by Dr. Bojan Tunguz

Published on December 9, 2011 by YSC

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Wireless Headset, but not without Limitations, November 29, 2011
This review is from: Jabra HALO2 Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Headset, Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Over the years I've owned so many Bluetooth stereo headsets that I've lost the count. I've been a bit of an early adopter for such headsets when it came to pairing them up with personal music players, and have used them since the cell phones were able to play music. I've owned several Motorola S9 and S9-HD headsets, as well as Jabra Sport Bluetooth headset. Jabra HALO 2 is definitely as good of a headset as I've come across, but unlike the other ones that I've tried it is definitely not suitable for workouts.

**** Sound Quality ****

For the purposes of listening to music these headphones are pretty good. They are will not blow you away, but they will definitely deliver clear, vibrant sound. The headphones supposedly come with an integrated bass, but I haven't really experienced it above and beyond what I would expect from any other decent music headphones. In my experience Jabra headphones are overall deficient in this category as compared to other brands. This headset is more than satisfying for casual music listening, but if you are an audiophile you may find it wanting.

**** Range ****

This headset has pretty much the same kind of range as I've come to expect from most Bluetooth devices. If you have a clear line of site with the paired device then you can use the headset with no problems even across a large room or a hall. Indoors you can also use it in a neighboring room, but the signal can become choppy. Unlike some other Bluetooth headsets, I've had no issues with placing this one in my cloths or on the opposite side of my body from the receiver antenna.

**** Compatibility ****

I've been able to pair this headset with my iPhone and iPad. I've also tried pairing it up with my Mac computers, but so far I've been unsuccessful with this. I might be missing something here, or maybe this headset was not designed to be used with computers. I would find this odd, but unsurprising. You can always use the included cord and connect the headset that way.

**** Battery Life ****

I've used these headphones fro an extended period of time and have never been in a position where my battery had completely run out. My guess is that you could listen to music for at least four or five hours on a single charge, but I haven't tested them for that long yet. If I notice any long-term battery problems I'll report about it here.

**** Design and Build ****

This is by far my favorite aspect of these headphones. They look cool, they are really easy on your ears, and when folded they are easy to stow away. The only button on the headset is the play/pause button. There is also a touch sensitive volume slider. Both of these controls are very inconspicuous, so much so that at first I didn't even notice them. Snapping the headphones into their position turns on the headset, and likewise folding it turns it off. This too contributes to the extremely economic esthetic of this device. The only thing that I don't like about their design is the felt padding. I don't like the feel of felt to begin with, and felt is very hard to clean. It functions as a lint and dust magnet, and this combined with its black color makes it look used very quickly. Also, I would strongly discourage you from engaging in any activity that includes excessive perspiration while using this headset.

**** Functionality ****

The headset is convenient when you just want to play music and adjust the volume. As already mentioned, it only sports a single button and a touch-sensitive volume slider. There are no options for skipping tracks, adjusting the microphone volume, or any other features that such headsets usually include. This is not that much of an issue for me, but it can be annoying if your Bluetooth device is out of a reach for whatever reason.

**** Fit and Comfort ****

The headphones can be extended far enough for most head sizes. Both my wife and I were able to wear them without any discomfort. The padding helps make them feel soft on the ears. Also, even after several hours of use I had not experienced any excessive warming of my ears. This may change in the summer, but for now they work fine. In fact, in terms of comfort these are probably the best headphones that I've used so far.

**** Telephony ****

Jabra has made the name for itself with the dedicated wireless cell-phone headsets, so you would be justified in expecting a high quality for this feature. Indeed, I have been extremely happy with the overall audio quality of this headset. (I am writing these lines while on hold with a customer service.) However, it seems that the receiving party usually has more trouble hearing me than I do them. While I was using the headset for some VOIP calling the other party couldn't hear me at all. This was only a one-time thing, and it could be completely due to some VOIP peculiarities. You can also receive phone calls while listening to music, and the side button can let you accept the incoming call. Once the conversation is finished, you will be able to resume listening to music.

**** Accessories ****

This headset comes with a charger, a regular USB cord that can be used to connect the headset to a computer, and a mini-USB to phone jack connector. This last cord is useful for connecting the headset to a device that doesn't support Bluetooth, or to one that you don't want to be paired up. The included charger has a fairly long cord, which makes plugging it into even the most out-of-the-way outlets very convenient for recharging. The regular USB cable can be used for charging the headset through a computer or through a specialized USB-port-featuring outlet.

**** Conclusion ****

If you need a solid, comfortable, and fairly functional headset for casual music listening, then you will certainly be satisfied with this Jabra HALO 2. On the other hand, if you are either an audiophile or someone who needs a Bluetooth headset for any sort of physical activity then you will find Jabra HALO 2 wanting.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and sleek, but Needs an off Switch to the Sound Processing, December 9, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Halo was a popular headset, so I was excited to try this unit. The design is very minimalist and beautiful, like something out of the Bang & Olufsen line. The build quality with all plastic material borders on feeling cheap, but probably saved by the matte headband finish and velour lining. Impression on the sound quality, however, was disappointing, mostly due to "surround" sound processing that cannot be turned off. Let me try to break it down:

Likes:

- Style: build quality aside, this is a beautifully designed headset that looks its part. It also managed to have extendable headband without breaking the clean lines. Style is subjective, but for me it is appealing.
- Control: contrary to many who found it problematic, I grew to like the touch sensitive volume control from initial ambivalence. It allows volume adjustment very quickly but not inaccurately. It also registers next/previous tracks with double taps on the top and bottom, which also worked well, though it can be a little tricky at first to find the right corners. Touching it accidentally is possible, but seeing how it takes 2 very long and directional swipes from minimum to maximum volume, it isn't as easy to do or as damaging as one might think.
- Easy dual pairing: I paired it with my PC and phone, both connects immediately when the headset turns on, and switches between A2DP stereo profile and headset (mono) profile readily and without problems (note: you can't hear stereo during a call/conference that uses its microphone, as it will use a headset profile. Only by using a separate microphone will allow full sound quality during voice conference).
- Using this for voice dialogues has been great--sound picks up clearly from the noise cancelling microphone and the mid-range enhanced quality of the headphones also makes for clear voice sounds.
- Uses a widely available generic micro-USB charging port. The included USB cable and charging cable are both fairly long, and you can listen while you charge.

Don't like so much:
- Fit and Comfort: The simple design also makes it feel like having a clamp on your head. There is very little articulation (if at all) of the earpads, which can sit on top of your ear in a slightly awkward way. The velour material is not well padded and does not make for a comfortable experience. The same said material also doesn't provide much friction. The headset can pivot on your ears and fall off fairly easily on movement.
- The velour lining material attracts lint fairly easily.
- This product can better be served with a real on/off switch. As it is, I don't think the folding design really saves much space at all to make it truly portable, or its tendency to fall off on movement really inspiring confidence for portable use. I use this primarily at home, and having to snap+slide the arm every time I want to turn it on and off seems like unnecessary wear and tear on the flimsy-looking plastic hinge/latch. They could have easily done it with the single physical button as an added function, without any more hardware switch implementation.
- The sound: This is my biggest gripe, with all the others being minor. There is built in "surround sound" processing. However, as we can imagine, surround sound isn't really possible on a headset. What the processing essentially does, is do partial channel cross mixing. In other words, the channel separation isn't complete. There is a bit of right channel bleeding into the left, and vice versa. This has been tried in the high end headphone amps to create a pseudo sound stage and arguably reduce listening fatigue.

However, the processing resulted in several artifacts which you may find problematic if you are semi-serious about your music. There is audible distortion in even low volumes--and yes I chose my sources carefully and understand the limitations of A2DP being lossy--and occasionally rather obvious it's distracting.

There is a veiled hollowness to the sound, a distant feel that makes you struggle to hear your favorite music track's original fullness and detail--which is no longer there. The mid-range sounds emphasized, which is great for voice communications, but that's also contributing to a slightly "tinny" quality in music tracks. The highs are surprisingly subdued. There is obviously artificial enhancement to the bass, but it is not very deep. The bass concentrates on the mid-bass region, with the deepest frequencies missing. However, for an over-the-ear transducer, the amount of mid-bass response is not unimpressive, and for many that may be enough cover up for all its other sound artifacts. In short, the frequency responses are clustered in the mid to mid-bass regions,colored by "surround sound" characteristics and distortion.

I wish Jabra had at least provided a way to switch off the sound processing. That would have at least allowed for its full potential to be revealed, or possibly achieved with some user equalization. As of now the distortion alone would ruin it beyond equalization correction. If you care about the absolute sound quality of your music, this is probably a skip. However, if you are just a casual listener, use it often for voice communication and non-critical stereo sounds, like thumpy mid-bass, don't need to run/walk around with it, the Halo2 does an decent job with a sleek design that is easy to love.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sooooo Close...So Very Close! Jabra's "HALO 2," A Critical Review., November 26, 2011
Length:: 0:28 Mins

So close to perfection that with some structural modifications, this headset will replace several different kinds of headset that you own, including your Bluetooth earpiece and your moderate priced headphones. It's that promising.

The "Halo 2" is the second edition of Jabra's "Halo" line of wireless stereo headsets. This is both a wireless headset and a standard headset with a 1/8" jack.

The set comes with:

The Headpiece
Micro USB-AC plug
Micro USB-1/8 jack
Micro USB-USB port

****Sound****
I've had wireless Bluetooth headsets in the past and every time I've gone back to the store to return them for a refund because the sound-reproduction was horrible. I also have several Bluetooth earpieces and I use them mainly for conversations when I'm on the road. I never use those single earpieces for music anyway since I have my regular earbuds handy when I'm on the bus or train.

BTW, most of the Bluetooth headsets you'll find up until recently had a base station that you had to connect to your Bluetooth device in order for you to hear out of the headset. That didn't impress me, so to see companies like Jabra who also make their "Sport" line of truly wireless headsets as well as Bose, these devices have come a long way.

After I made my Evo 3D discoverable, I watched some videos--comedy, music and interviews--and was wonderfully impressed with the sound. (I can now listen to Lisa Lampinelli roast whomever without having to turn down the volume in order not to insult anyone delicate taste.)

I also watched a two-hour documentary, Turtle: The Incredible Journey [Blu-ray] on Netflix after I made my laptop discoverable. It was just like I was in my own private theater with Dolby Surround Sound.

I also turned off the Bluetooth receiver and plugged the headset into my Sony stereo and played selections from The Barry White Boxed Set: Just for You. To hear The Maestro and his deep baritone is to hear music at its best. You can't go cheap with a techie device like this and spending upwards of a $100. And, you're not shortchanged here for audio fidelity. Construction's another issue, but we'll get to that in a moment.

***Calls***
The headset, when fully charged by my testing is roughly 5 hours. About 4 hours, 45 minutes to be more exact. But, the farther away you have the headset from the discoverable-device, the shorter the battery life.

Calls, both listening and speaking was excellent. People on the other line couldn't distinguished when I went outside from when I was inside. This is as good or better than the mid-ranged price earpieces on the market today, including Jabra's own.

***Construction***
This is the Elephant-in-the-room sort of speak. This is a headset that can (or may) replace several different kinds of headphones you may own. The versatility of a wireless headphone means that you walk, run and sit reclined while your device is safely stored away. This device also brings high-fidelity. The sound reproduction is above par and better than many mid-priced sets. But...

You have a headset that is BOTH constructed for the smaller-sized head and a headset that is very delicately made. This is not an oversight that I can neglect to mention.

Since this is a one-size-fit-all deal, it will present a problem because it is not a one-size-fit-all piece. The headband is roughly 3/8" thick with about half of that wrapped in a thin felt material. IF I have an average sized head (although the lady tells me that I have a bigger-than average mouth), the headset fits VERY snugly. The earpads only dropdown in length, not width.

If that were not enough, the headset is VERY delicate. The headset can fold inside, but I was so scared pushing in the arms the first time that I though it necessary to just keep them open and not risk that joints breaking.

The question remains not if they'll break, but when. So, you'll have to bear this in mind.

+ Great audio reproduction, exceptional for stereo wireless headset.
+ Very good vocal-call reception.
+ Plug-in capacity for times when Bluetooth is not needed or inaccessible.
+ 4.5 hours of battery life. 2 hours for recharging.
+ Reasonably priced.
- Poor construction. VERY delicate.

So, 5 minus 1 = 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love these headphones, December 19, 2011
TedW (Salem, Oregon) - See all my reviews
I'm finally writing this review after having owned these headphones for a couple of years now. I get a lot of compliments from people on the appearance if that is important to you.

Let me first tell you how I use them. They are my office headphones. I stream music, music radio and once in a while a podcast. I do not use it for phone calls so you might check other reviews for that. I do not use these during any kind of physical activity. I'm sure they would fall off in short order. But this is also what makes them comfortable. I wear these for several hours on occasion and I never get any kind of ear fatigue.

The headphones are very contemporary looking with the volume control invisible as it is activated by sliding your left finger along the outside of the earphone. There is one inconspicuous button on the right side to answer the phone with. This button is slightly concave and easy to find.

The headphones are turned on by opening them. This has always made me nervous as I was concerned that fatigue would eventually cause problems with the wiring. But I use these several times a week and they are still going strong. A tiny piece of plastic did crack, and later, broke off. I was sure this was the beginning of the end but not so. They They sill work like new. That was over a year ago. Just be gentle when opening and closing and I thing you will be fine.

SOUND
I love the sound that you can get out of these. If I want I can turn the volume fairly low so that I can still hear what is happening around me but not completely lose the bass. They still sound very good at low volume.

BATTERIES
The one thing I have never quite figured out is that some times the charger does not seem to activate and charge the headphones. I believe that the charger needs to be plugged in, in the off/folded position. Then the headphones are unfolded to turn them on and activate charging. But I can't say with 100% certainty and the manual that came with my set wasn't clear.

In any a full charge lasts, by my estimate 8-10 hours when used as headphones. If used for talking on the phone I'm not sure how the batteries would be impacted. When they are getting low you will hear an occasional beep in your ear letting you know it is time to charge.

RANGE
I can walk over to the copy machine with no problem. That is about 60-75 from my cube. I'm not sure how much further it would go.

CONCLUSION
After two years of use they work like new. I would certainly buy another set. In my view, they are perfect for an office environment as you can work around your office without having to deal with cords. They allow you to keeping hearing-touch with things around you so you don't feel completely isolated. They look cool on top of it all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not last!, July 8, 2012
Very compact and I loved using it. Fits snugly over the ears without much pressure and was easy to carry around. The best feature of the product was that you could also use it corded - helps when the charge runs out. Anyways, it was good while it lasted - 3 months. The product looked sturdy when it arrived, but slowly unraveled its weaknesses. First, the stereo stopped worked and I could only hear from one side and later it stopped working altogether. Hope you guys have better luck than me!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, November 26, 2011
I'm a college student, and I was looking for compact headphones that weren't earbuds. I wanted something that could possibly fold and wasn't too expensive in case it gets stolen. I looked at the sennheiser px 100s first, then somehow stumbled across the Jabra Halo2. My home headphones are sennheiser hd 650s so I'll be using the halo2 mostly when I'm out and about. I don't consider myself an audiophile, but I do like my music to sound good.

A hard case would have been nice because accidentally sitting on these will definitely break them, but Jabra doesn't include any case or pouch. You may be able to fit the headphones in a sunglass case when they're folded. Jabra does save you the trouble of spending money on cables, though. Included cables are: an outlet charger with a micro usb tip, a usb to micro usb cable, and a micro usb to 1/8 in audio cable. There is also a short start up guide in the box, but no full manual; it can be found in a pdf file on Jabra's site.

The headphones are the supra aural type, and their low weight helps a little with comfort. I wear glasses, and the pressure from the headband squeezed my ears on the arms of my glasses. This got uncomfortable after listening for a while, but after readjusting how I wear the headphones, I got used to the halo2 and even forgot they were on at times. The headband pressure is enough that the headphones won't fall off unless you shake your head like a dog does. There is no on/off switch and the headphones can be turned on by unfolding them and off by folding them back up. I think if they are left unfolded without any connection, they will shut off after some time.

The headphones are built with plastic and have a felt layer lining the inside of the headband. The earpads are made of a thin foam that has very little padding. Other reviewers were saying the hinges don't seem too durable, and I kind of agree with them. The hinges seem ok, and the locking mechanism that keeps the headphones open may crack or wear down over time. If users are careless and use the headphones heavily, the headphones may not last more than a year.

The headphones are very thin and compact. There was no noticeable difference between a hardwire and bluetooth connection for me. I play music from an iphone 3gs, and pairing was quick and simple. The halo2 supports a2dp and avrcp so you can listen to music and control the music from the headphones if your phone supports avrcp. The interface on the headphones could be improved, though. The controls are only on the right side - one physical button and a touch sensitive slider that doubles as the skip/previous song button. You slide your finger up and down for volume control and double tap the upper section to skip to the next song or double tap the lower section to skip backward. The slider is a good idea, but the problem is that there is no physical indicator on the headphones to show where the slider is so changing volume and skipping may take getting used to. It may be a little tricky to find the button or slider when the headphones are on your head. I put some of my sister's tiny nail stickers at the top and bottom of the slider so I have small bumps to show me where the top and bottom are.

The sound quality of the headphones is good for the price and size. A bit more in the higher range would make the headphones balanced better. There is an emphasis on bass and it sounds a like the higher notes are very slightly muffled. I'm still satisfied with the audio quality. There is audio processing built into the headphones that tries to simulate a surround sound effect. I was able to hear the simulated surround sound in some songs, but it isn't too important. The higher notes aren't as prevalent as the bass in the headphone because jabra may have assumed that people who buy the headphones would be younger and more interested in bass heavy songs. I like to hear the bass in my music, and I think the halo2 does a pretty good job of giving listeners adequate bass. The halo2 comes with a microphone built in for use with calling. The call quality is good and people I called said they could hear me fine. It's surprising and convenient that a bluetooth headphone has a mic built in for this price.

4 stars for build, comfort and price; 4 stars for audio quality.

I couldn't find much about the halo2 before I bought it so I hope this helps those who are considering it. Good portable bluetooth headphones with a mic built in. They are compact and light enough for people on the go, all for under $100.

Update - 11/27/11

I found a lowepro case that fits the folded headphones perfectly. The case is called the santiago 30 and is a camera case. I got the case at best buy for around $20. It's a hard compact case that will definitely protect the headphones if they are stored in a backpack.

2.0 out of 5 stars Started well but finished poor, July 14, 2012
I purchased these because I needed a bluetooth headset that could pair to two devices simultaneously; my Blackberry for conference calls and my laptop for dictation. When I first paired these with my BB, the phone/voice quality was quite good. However, once I paired it with my PC, the voice quality began to drop for both the phone and the dictation software. The Dragon accuracy dropped appreciably, even after re-calibrating Dragon 11.5 for the new device. In four different phone calls, people said I could hardly be heard (low sound, static, tunnel-like). Had to turn them off and finish the call with just the BB.
I will say, the audio quality when listening to music was quite good for a BT device. I get the feeling that once the device is dual paired, it over extends the devices capabilities, I tried resetting it, which is not detailed in the user manual, to clear all pairings, but to no avail. So, I'm back to finding a device to fit my needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Halo 2 headphones, March 15, 2012
I had the original halos and they were nice, but the halo 2 is a definite step up in sound quality and actual feel of the headphones. They are definitely not active wear, but riding a bike or power walking they are just fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Firmware Upgrade, September 15, 2012
There is a firmware upgrade for the Jabra Halo2 which significantly improved the volume and clarity of sound. CAUTION: Make sure to read and follow the instructions to the letter or installing this new firmware can make your headphones unusable. Everything needed for the firmware upgrade in included in this .zip file. Installing the Jabra PC Suite is not necessary. Get it here at the jabra.com website.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great both in my android phone and ipod touch!, November 27, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Jabra HALO2 Bluetooth Stereo Headset is a unique headset in the sense that it has the functionality of a full headset, without the bulk and the weight. It is lightweight and portable, and though it is bluetooth, it can also be used for wired configurations for non-bluetooth devices. This is especially useful if you are traveling by air, you can use this via the included 3.5mm jack. The fit is comfortable and adjustable. I found myself liking the fit even after using it for a couple of hours listening to music. It is neither tight nor loose. ON/OFF feature is practical, it turns off when folded and turns on when unfolded. Unfolding it also pairs the headset with your last paired device. I only wished they included a storage bag to protect it from dust and the elements and store it away while not in use. But that is wishful thinking for now.

It is compatible with both Android and iPhones so you are pretty much covered as far as phones are concerned. Pairing the Jabra HALO2 with my android was smooth and easy. Just do a scan and the phone quickly discovers the HALO2 and immediate connection is established. It was a different story pairing it with my ipod. I initially had difficulty pairing it with my ipod but after meticulous reading on the Jabra support website for this product, I have gotten past this little obstacle. Apparently, unlike phones, bluetooth MP3 players needs to do the "hard" method of pairing with the HALO2 prior to connection. With this pairing method, I was even able to pair with a bluetooth adapter from a different brand bluetooth headset and use the adapter in my pc to listen to audio wirelessly. For those of you who might have difficulty pairing it with an MP3 player and for a complete description of this "hard" pairing method, you may go to Jabra's support site, look for Jabra HALO2 and click on the FAQ's. The very last FAQ will describe the hard pairing method so you can pair the HALO2 to any MP3 player.

The audio quality, when listening to music, is average at best. Though Jabra claims that the HALO2 has Virtual Surround Sound and Power Bass features, I found myself wanting a little more intensity. This is especially true with the bass. You just don't get that extra punch when listening to music with strong bass. Audio quality in calls is however in the above-average range. The person I was talking to heard me clearly and precisely, no background noise or clutter whatsoever. Since this is not a noise-cancelling headset, do not expect too much. The Noise Blackout Technology though enables you to speak and be understood clearly under normal ambient background noise.

One innovative feature I found that I really like but may take a little time to get used to is the "touch" scrolling features to control the volume. The HALO2 incorporated sensors to control the volume via touch: touch-scroll it upwards for louder sound, downwards to decrease it. The sensor is sensitive and all it needs is a very light touch. Double tap the upper part (with the (+) sign) of the touch pad and you skip forward in your music. Double tap the lower part (with the (-) sign) and you skip backwards. I have used a number of bluetooth headset in the past and this is my first experience with this touch technology. Touch-scrolling eliminates most of the buttons or switches which can sometimes knock your headset out of place when trying to manipulate the controls. The only manual control that this headset has is a little push of a button when you answer/end a phone call.

The indicated listening, stand by and talk times of course, depends on your usage. Charging can be done thru AC or your PC with the included adapter and USB cable. I found this very useful especially when I am at work and have the ability to charge it in my PC.

Despite my minor gripes, I found myself really liking this bluetooth headset because of its functionality and portability. In my opinion, it warrants 5-stars!