4.0 out of 5 stars Modern design that works well.
I've been using this Jabra STONE3 Bluetooth headset for a few weeks now and am happy with its performance. The design is sleek and audio quality is fairly good.

Pros:

- Subtle and modern design. I don't feel like a big geek with this thing on my ear. Even the charging cradle is attractive.
- Once removed from charger, it is automatically on...
Published 15 months ago by Go Blue 99

Published 14 months ago by Ashley S

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent for office use, but expensive and has a short talk time, October 17, 2013
Ashley S (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jabra STONE3 Bluetooth Headset - Retail Packaging (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I spend a lot of time on calls, so I eagerly waited for the newest generation of Jabra earpieces to arrive. The packaging of this product is beautiful, if a little over-engineered. It sits atop a pedestal inside of a plastic cylinder that highlights the headset. Unboxing is odd as you have to twist the case in a few different ways to remove the top and then. It's not very intuitive so follow the instructions listed on the package.

The headset comes with a pebble shaped base (power2go portable charger) that acts as a dock when the headset is not in use and it also recharges the headset. You plug the mini USB cable (included) into the base and then slip the headset into the "pebble" shaped base to charge the headset. Charging the base takes an hour or so, and charging the headset from the base takes a few minutes.

Pairing is a breeze and I like the call quality when working from my home office. The headset fits very nicely, so well in fact that I've accidentally walked out of the house without realizing that I'm wearing it. The call quality in an office is great. I checked with conference attendees and they weren't able to tell the difference between me talking via the headset and talking via the phone, which is impressive.

There are a few things I don't like about this device. The first is the battery. I can't seem to get more than an hour fifteen, hour and a half maximum on a call before I get low battery warnings and the device shuts off and I have to put it back into the pebble to charge. The other issue is if there is any ambient noise in the room. If there is any amount of noise (public areas such as a train station, or driving when there is background noise) it is almost impossible to hear what people are saying on a call, even with volume at the max. It will also be very apparent to anyone on the line listening that you are in an area with noise. A minor gripe is the length of the charging cord. It's around 6 inches long, which is fine if you're charging via a laptop USB, but awkward if charging from a regular computer. Build quality is OK but the texture of the device and base just don't feel like a $100 dollar plus headset.

3.0 out of 5 stars low battery, August 22, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
UPDATE (OCT 2013) : The slender part of the headset broke; i.e the ear hook part.I'm not even sure how it happened; i'm very careful with my electronic devices and i was just putting it on as usual. Anyways i'm very disappointed...as i had gotten used to it too.

ORIGINAL REVIEW ON AUG 2013:
I've had this headset for around a month now. It does some things i love and has some neat features but most people dont like it because of the battery (or lack thereof).
Issues:
-Battery: Whether you should buy this or not is really dependent on how much you plan to talk with it during a day. I dont talk much but keep the headset on and connected to my phone my whole workday...it is able to last me around half the day like this. Though with any talktime or other media usage it degrades tremendously fast. Listed time is 2 hours talktime and this is true.
-Only one fit and only for your right ear.
-Headset itself doesnt have a charge slot, thus you cant use it while its charging in its pebble.

Positive:
+no issues with sound quality and drops.
+love the easy volume up/down (just slide your finger on it).
+love that it tells me the name of the person calling ( tested and works on both iphone 4s and samsung galaxy s2) and i can just answer by saying 'answer'.
+only one fit but it fit me perfectly and was one of the most comfortable and smallest headsets i've used.
+i personally think its easier to carry the pebble and the headset. They fit together perfectly and i dont have to deal with more wires.

4.0 out of 5 stars Modern design that works well., September 17, 2013

Pros:

- Once removed from charger, it is automatically on pairing mode. This makes it easy to pair with my iPhone 5.
- When turning it on, it gives you an audio message with number of minutes remaining. It will also tell you when there is a low battery.
- Spoken caller ID works well.
- While sound quality is not terrific, I had no issues listening or speaking to others.

Cons:

- Packaging is trendy but is tough to open, even after following the instructions.
- I keep having problems popping it out of the charger. I feel like I am going to break it.
- Due to the design, it's not very comfortable to use this in conjunction with sunglasses or eyeglasses.
- You need the cradle in order to charge it.

I am happy with it overall, though you may want to look at other options considering the high price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks Aren't Everything, September 21, 2013
R. M. Ettinger "rme1963" (Cleveland Heights, OH USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My lord, I knew this product might be trouble just by the packaging. It looks cool, much like the device itself, but I'm guessing getting into Ft. Knox is easier.

Like I said, the look of the device is beyond cool. It looks well designed and at least different from the others on the market. But looks aren't everything.

Ill fitting, like so many bluetooth sets, is an issue. I started thinking that maybe it was just becoming an issue until I saw other reviewers with the same issue. I wear glasses, so might be the issue, but they have to incorporate the glass-wearer into the design. And like other reviewers, sound quality is spotty. Sometimes it is good, but it is not consistent, I can't count on it for conference calls. Even if the battery lasted two hours (which it hasn't), that is still a weak amount.

I've tried a number of headsets over the last few years - and even with some of the peeling plastic parts, I'll take my Plantronics Voyager Pro any day over the Stone3.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible design, entire face is a button, July 1, 2014
I don't remember the last time that I was this disappointed in a purchase. I purchased this item because it was the most expensive than the sales person stated it was the newest model on on the market. I use Bluetooth a lot and if a better model existed I would be willing to pay the extra money for it.

The battery life on this unit is two hours in a best case scenario. The unit battery goes quickly just having the unit paired with your phone. It was uncomfortable and the part that goes inside your ear was also uncomfortable. The entire face of the unit is a button. What this means is every time you try to push the unit into your ear or adjust it, it activates the button causing the Bluetooth to hang up on whoever you're on the phone with. If you were not on the phone with anyone and you push the button and it clicks twice it will call the last person you were on the phone with. This was a major major headache for me since the unit never quite felt comfortable in my ear and every time I tryed to push it in or out or adjusted in anyway I couldn't help but clicking the button. This became extremely aggravating for the people on my call list. All hours of the night my phone would call people because I simply touched this stupid button on this Bluetooth.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cool Technology - But I just wish it sounded a bit better!, August 22, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have to applaud the unique packaging of the Jabra Stone 3. In order to get to the headset the buyer needs to twist and turn the package several times in order to unveil the product. In the end, Jabra fools you though. In order to release the headset from the holder, the plastic "forks" must be squeezed from below. I didn't expect this and continued twisting until I became frustrated. In the end, one of the supporting plastic pieces broke off. I guess had I taken the time to look at the diagram, this would not have happened. Very unique packaging - nice one Jabra.

When first handling the Jabra Stone 3, the light weight and small size become apparent. This definitely helps when the user wears the headset for an extended period of time. Once you are done twisting, this is what you get in the package: A total of four different eargels, the charging stone, a short USB cable, and an AC adapter with a really short cord that has a mini USB connector on the end. Since most plugs are located at floor level or behind furniture, the length of the cord makes the adapter a little bit impractical, but it is good to have. Most people will just use the USB charging method anyway, especially in the car.

In order to charge the Jabra 3 you need to have the charging stone, which also doubles as a portable cordless re-charger when the battery on the headset runs low. Some people find this annoying, I do not. I generally use the headset in my car, while occasionally walking around with it. I'm not one of those people who seem to have grown a headset out of their ears. Keeping the charging stone in my center console (which also has a lighter socket that I added a USB converter to) when it's not in use allows a convenient spot to put it back to as well as guaranteeing it will be charged for the next use.

Pairing the device was easy. My iPhone found it right away, and automatically connects to it whenever it is nearby. No connection issues here. If your phone has NFC it will also pair if held against the NFC zone of the charging stone.

The sound quality is ok on the Jabra Stone 3, but it does break up a little bit. I wish it had a little more bass to it, even for standard phone conversations. It is lacking a little on the low end, and sometimes I find the audio to be a little harsh depending on who I am speaking with. I also find that it the Jabra is not quite loud enough. I have both the phone and the headset up to full volume and find that it is at a slightly less loudness point than I would like, which means if I want to turn up the volume when a less than ideal quality call comes in I have nowhere to go. Adjusting the volume on the Jabra Stone 3 is pretty slick, simply swipe your finger up and down the piece.

I just got off the phone with someone while using the headset, and they said they were having a hard time hearing me, in fact they said "it sounded like one step up from Fischer Price". Oooo, that's not so good, and I was just sitting inside the house. Needless to say, I switched off of the Jabra and used the handset instead. Good thing I wasn't in the car.

As far as talk time goes, if you press the side of the headset once, the lady tells you how much is left. Maximum talk time is two hours. The lady also lets you know who is calling when you have an incoming, that way you don't have to look at the phone's display. You can even use the headset for Siri if you have an iPhone. Supposedly it is possible to access contacts by voice control, but I could never figure out how this works, or find documentation on Jabra's website or anywhere else. The technology in this device is pretty good, I just wish it sounded better on both ends (I even tried switching to all of the different eargels, but that did not do the trick. Maybe the Stone 4 will be the one.

3.0 out of 5 stars A very good earpiece, September 19, 2013
David Nox (Central Florida USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My last earpiece was a Jabra. This one is better. It's very light on the ear
and the sound quality is good. I was able to pair it with my cell phone very easily.
It is very pricey considering many people are moving away from headsets.
For power users the 2 hr talk time might be an issue.
I am very satisfied with mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2nd Jabra Stone, January 4, 2014
Excellent product!!! This is my 2nd Jabra Stone. Only bought a new one for the updated options. Will buy one for my wife.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works but the fidelity is just so-so, August 25, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is lightweight and very comfortable to wear. I'm not impressed, though, with the audio fidelity on received calls...it's way worse than when I'm listening with the phone up to my ear. People that I've called have told me that I'm coming through fine and there hasn't a problem with them understanding me.

I'm also not impressed with need for a dedicated charging stand. Cosmetically, it's a very clean design, but I'd much prefer the ability to directly charge the headset.

Lastly, this puppy is expensive. If you want to spend this much, I strongly suggest that you look at the Jabra Motion. It's a bit more expensive, but sounds better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cool design, but too many practical flaws to be a contender at this price, September 17, 2013
UNPACKING
The headset comes in an elegant round display-case-style package. It's tough to get it unpacked, so even I had to look at the graphical instructions. Inside comes the headset, charging base, USB to micro-USB cable, AC adapter to micro-USB (no USB port in the AC adapter), two small eargels and instructions.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
There are some unique ideas here. First the charging base -- it's an interesting idea and rather cool looking. The "stone" base fits the headset like a glove and it charges with a built-in battery, which increases the talk/listening time of the headset substantially. Secondly, the U-shaped design with no boom microphone makes it unique looking.

FEATURES
- Answer or reject calls with your voice. (Nice feature.)
- Spoken Caller ID. (Fantastic feature that Jawbone doesn't have.)
- Activate Siri with a push. (Standard on all new bluetooth devices.)
- Volume control with a slide of the finger. (Nice feature, but with issues.)
- NFC automatic bluetooth pairing. (iPhones don't have NFC, but interesting concept.)

ANNOYANCES
- This only works in the right ear. I like to use my left ear, so it's not ideal for me.
- There is faint noise that the headset makes that is easier to pick up in a very quiet environment. If you aren't listening hard for it, it can be ignored, but it is annoying.
- Sound quality of the caller's voice is average, but not all that good. My Jawbone ICON HD - Bluetooth Headset - Black - Retail Packaging does a much better job of making the caller sound loud and clear. That being said, callers did say they heard me fine.
- There is no ability to pause, play or change tracks when playing music, although you can listen to it. This is a standard feature on today's higher-priced bluetooth headsets. Once you have this feature, it's hard to live without.
- A number of times, I would try to answer the phone without a headset, but I couldn't hear the caller. It turns out that in my pocket the headset would shift slightly off of the charger contacts and it would connect to the phone.
- Once the charge base is dead, I couldn't figure out how to turn off the headset and disconnect from my phone.
- Also a number of times, I had the headset on my ear and it would change volumes over and over without me touching it. I don't know why.
- It is a little uncomfortable to wear the headset with glasses because they both want to be on the same place on your ear.
- Even without glasses, the eargel doesn't stay in my ear very far, and it find myself having to push it in all the time to be able to hear better. When I push it in, I have to be careful not the push the button at the bottom and careful not to push wrong in the area that controls volume.
- The battery life seems pretty short compared with my Jawbone. The engineers probably figured that with the boost from the charger base, the battery they chose would be sufficient. If I was listening to a podcast or radio station, I couldn't get two hours.

Overall, this is a creative design that has potential, but there are too many flaws for me to recommend it, which is disappointing because this is a third generation design.