Published on April 9, 2010 by D. K. Arctur

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not a superstar
Pros:
Great sound
Comfortable Headset
People report it sounds great on their end
Good battery life (for the month I had it)

SoSos:
the noise cancellation didn't cancel noise (but do any of them really?)
The software driver for the headset is convenient, but only because configuring through the LCD is laborious...
Published on December 29, 2010 by ProNerd

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not a superstar, December 29, 2010
This review is from: Jabra PRO 9470 Mono Wireless Headset with Touchscreen for Deskphone, Softphone & Mobile Phone (Electronics)
Pros:
Great sound
Comfortable Headset
People report it sounds great on their end
Good battery life (for the month I had it)

SoSos:
the noise cancellation didn't cancel noise (but do any of them really?)

Cons:
The LCD touchscreen is nifty, but it takes longer to change settings than on the 9350.
The mute is hard to reliably hit
slight background hiss With the volume up high

Overall:
I've returned the 9470 because of the two cons mentioned above. It just isn't living up to being the "next great thing". Hunting for the mute was the biggest pain (See below). Though my upgrade to the 9470 proved unsatisfying, I've just placed an order for a fresh 9350... "ol' trusty". Both of these headsets are better than anything else I've seen, but the older 9350 still beats the shinier 9470.

Background:
I've been a big fan of Netcom/Jabra headsets since I bought the 9350 a few years back. I am on the phone 9+ hours a day sometimes for my job so I want something crisp, clear, with good range, and a long battery life. Years of daily use took it's toll on the 9350 and it was time to replace it. The bells and whistles of the 9470 looked great. LCD screen, noise cancellation... It was the next step in evolution. The battery isn't swappable, but I hoped the slightly longer battery life would defer the need.

Setup wasn't too bad. And the headset was definitely as comfortable as my 9350. All in all, it's a solid product with good sound in and out, but it doesn't outshine the 9350 like I'd hoped. The noise cancellation it touts doesn't seem to cancel anything: music, other conversations, dogs barking... it's all still there. Granted, it was there with the 9350 too, so this was a wash. The volume couldn't get as loud as the 9350 either (I like the phone audio loud), but that was a minor nit.

Another minor annoyance was the background hiss... as I like my audio loud, turning it up provided a background hiss that wasn't a huge problem but in pauses between speakers it was noticable and slightly distracting.

The biggest issue for me was the mute button. On the 9350, it's a physical button on the back of the headset. So you know when you push it. That's good. With the 9470, the volume and mute are driven by touching the touch sensitive part of the earpiece (the extension of the boom that covers the ear directly). Turning mute on/off is done by doubletapping the center of that strip. However, in the month I used the headset, I never could reliably find the spot. I hop in and out of mute semi-regularly while I walk or open the fridge. Having to stand there tapping on my ear over and over looking for the sweet-spot got pretty frustrating.

This is also where I'd like to recommend to Jabra that they add a tiny red "mute" LED onto the boom that can be seen out of the corner of the eye. Having to wait for the 10sec repeating mute-beep to be 100% sure you're in mute is as annoying on the 9470 as it is on the 9350.

I still recommend the Jabra line over all the others for having the most advanced and comfortable headsets out there. They can't be beaten. but unless you desperately need the bluetooth capabilities of the 9470 (I didn't), then I think you're better off with the Jabra 9350 than the Jabra 9470.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great unified headset - works with deskphone, mobile, and computer, April 9, 2010
I wear a headset for hours at a time in my home office. It's usually for business calls using my landline deskphone, skype (internet "soft phone"), or my iPhone. For quite a while I've used a Plantronics headset that only worked with my landline phone, and occasionally struggled with bluetooth headsets for my laptop and iPhone. These bluetooth headsets generally reduced the sound quality.

Versatility --
With the Jabra Pro 9470, I can now switch seamlessly between my deskphone, my computer, and my iPhone. If I get a call on my deskphone, I just have to pick up the headset from its base, and lift the deskphone receiver handset off the hook, and the Jabra headset jumps to work. Same thing if I get a call to my iPhone. Just pick the headset off its charging base, and it jumps to work. I leave my computer audio in/out settings on the Jabra 9470, and since it supports wideband audio, I can use the headset for just about any kind of audio content. And it uses DECT 6 for the wireless connection between base and headset, which doesn't interfere with any other wireless connections that may be in use around the computer or the house.

Sound quality --
The earpiece speaker is excellent, and has good volume range control. The mic is also very good. Setting the mic volume uses a clever idea: the base touchscreen walks you through calling a friend and having them tell you how it sounds while you make your adjustments, though I'm not sure why you can't do this while on a regular call. I work in a quiet setting, so it's hard to tell how well it would blank out extraneous background noise.

Mac compatible --
I have a MacBook Pro, and really struggled to find definitive reviews about using this headset with a Mac. It comes with PC software but not Mac. Not seeing any "Windows only" messages, I took a chance and ordered it anyway. Turns out the Mac "just finds it" as a USB headset, and I can go to the System Preferences > Audio control panel to select it for the computer speaker and/or microphone. My iPhone connects to it via Bluetooth. And the deskphone connects by plugging the deskphone's handset cord into the back of the Jabra 9470.

The installation wasn't completely intuitive, but I fiddled with it till it worked with all three inputs. Definitely worth the effort. I'm now ordering the GN 1000 handset lifter for those times when I'm wandering around my house while wearing the headset, and want to answer a call on the deskphone.

I just can't get over how much more versatile this headset is than the one I had before.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, December 19, 2010
Comfort A-
Voice Quality A-
Sound Quality B
Functionality C
Wireless Range A+
Battery Life A

Comfort, I use the overhead option and it is very comfortable to me. I also like how the earpeace sits softly on the ear and allows you to hear your own voice when speaking. I very much dislike headsets that isolate the sound, and when you speak, it feels like your under water. That is not the case with this headset.

Voice quality is excellent. Owners that are getting poor results may need to check their settins, because the voie quality is on par with a good quality wires headset. The mic on this headset will pick up the softest whisper. And the noise blackout feature is not byperbole, it is very impressive! I was standing next to a very noisy in window AC unit, and the person on the other end of the call didnt hear a thing, they said it was as if I was in a silent room. Really impressive quality, and even better considering the battery life.

Sound Quality
This is where the unit is weakest. Every call is a different volume. Some calls are so load I have to turn the untit down to the lowest setting, and other calls so soft I can barely hear the person. I would not recommend this unit for a noisy environment, the earpiece design is open (which I prefer) and does not isolate sound, so if there is a lot of background nouse you will have a hard time hearing anything with this unit. At best the sound quality is average, and acceptable for voice communication. I suppose this was a tradeoff for the great battery life, but I would have preferred a better earpiece.

Functionality
I use this headset with Toktumi, and it does not have native integration with this app (yet). This could easily be fixed in future firmware updates, but for now there is a VERY annoying dealy when answering call. I basically say "Hello" then wait for the headset to "wake up" then I say "Hello" again and begin the conversation. Otherwise I would need to touch the screen to answer the call and also click on the softphone button to answer the call, inconvenient. I hope they update the supported softphone list to include more services liek Toktumi. Integration with bluetooth phone is very good, and sound quality is excellent.

Wireless Range
Outstanding range. I use this headset in an office building, with tons of wireless and cell phone signals intereference and I can still walk outside about 100 feet form the building and still have clear reception. This kind of range is overkill for me, but impressive nonetheless.

Battery Life
Excellent. I never have an issue with battery, talk all day long. I usually keep it in the cradle when not in use, because it is just very convenient to do so, and very easy to get it in and out. It has a little magentic dock that just sort of grabs the headset into place. Very well designed.

Over all I am very happy with this headset, it is the best I've used, and the wireless feature is so convenient. I do hope functionality and integration with more softphone apps is added with firmware updates.

EDIT 3/15/11 - After 6 months of use

The Good
- Still VERY comfortable.
- Mic clarity is outstanding, especially for a wireless unit
- Blackout noise cancellation feature is no hype, very impressive! Really, very impressive.

The Bad
- Control on side is dead, can't adjust volume. Mute function works randomly.
- Even when it worked the control on the side was aweful, very unresponsive when trying to set volume or mute functions.
- Touchscreen is frustratingly unresponsive. Multiple taps to get a function to work. Looks neat but I would have prefered analogue controls, or at least a decent touchscreen.
- Charger is finicky, have to get the headset on there just right to get a charge, and sometimes it will shift ever so slightly, resulting in a headset with no charge in the morning.
- Software needs to support more softphones. No support for Toktumi? Really, this is on the PC, iPhone and Android platforms. I'm surprised this headset doesnt support it.

This is still the best wireless headset I've owned. And it does well with what I consider the most important features; voice quality, mic quality, and battery life.

My impression after 6 months of use.

Comfort A
Voice Quality A-
Sound Quality B (Not good for noisy environments)
Functionality D+ (Software, touchscreen, and side touch controls need improvement)
Wireless Range A+
Battery Life A-

Noise Cancellation A+
Build Quality/Durability C

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK, using it but not happy, September 13, 2012
Massachusetts Dad (Boston, Massachusetts United States) - See all my reviews
I have been using the 9350 at the office for years, and was hoping for a product even better. It's not. I've had one die on me after 3 weeks of use. Lucky that I could RMA it to Amazon. With the replacement, it works as advertised, but I have the following cons:
1. headset touch controls are useless. I'm often in the kitchen cooking while on work calls. Can't touch it with damp fingers. Lucky that the hang up is a real button
2. The touch screen is indeed finicky.
3. The worst problem for me: DECT interference. I have a home DECT phone from Panasonic, and when it is on, the JABRA's range goes down to 15ft. So much for walking to the other side of my condo. The 9350 works 200ft away for me indoors in the office next to dozens of other 9350s.

So I'm keeping it, it's comfy on the ear and the voice quality (when in range) is great. But I can't get all that I wanted out of it. Be aware of the limitations before you buy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mute function unusable, March 8, 2012
The headset is great sound and fitwise, but the mute function is activated by double tapping the side of the headset. It is impossible to reliably hit that spot. After practicing for an hour I can get a "hit" about 1 out of 3 tries. When in a conference call I need to be able to quickly unmute, but with this headset it takes me seconds to accomplish that, which is unacceptable.
This design flaw makes the headset unusable for me and I am returning it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cell Phone, Computer Voice and Home phone.. works amazing. Period., November 13, 2012
Cell Phone, Computer Voice and Home phone.. works amazing. I have owned headsets for over 15 years this is the best. Period

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice headset, but I get some feedback, July 28, 2010
This a quality product that replaces a Netcom GN headset that I've used for a long time. The menu setup is very impressive. I've used it with my desk phone and my iPhone. Headset using the over the head band is comfortable to me. I wish the boom was slightly longer so I would feel more confident that it is positioned properly, but nobody has complained about my volume.

The only problem I've had is that I get some feedback if I turn up the listening volume all the way. So I have to turn the volume down and struggle a bit to hear the other person on the line.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you own a Mac...fear not!, March 6, 2012
G "Gary" (Tampa Bay, FL) - See all my reviews
I use a Macbook Air as my primary work machine. I was a little worried about using this with a Mac, since the software that comes with it, is clearly for PC only. I did know it would work with basic features based on another reviewers comments. Barring not having a piece of software that was written for the Mac (which would be nice Jabra!), it works flawlessly. The base connects to my corded phone and GN1000 lifter, and via Bluetooth to my iPhone 4S. I plugged the base in to my Mac via USB, and as someone else mentioned, it is instantly recognized as an audio device in Sound Preferences. I set it as the input device (instead of the Mac's built-in mic. Now I can use if for voice dictation via Dragon Dictate for Mac (had to set up a profile for the the 9470 and do the training session for it) - it works just as well as a Plantronics corded headset I had for accuracy)... The one thing I was bummed about was that call recording would only work on a PC via the software. Not true! During a call (whether on my iPhone or the deskphone) I hit the in call preferences and hit the "enable recording" option on the 9470 touchpad, and it is then sending audio to the audio input to the Mac. At that point, I just have to turn on some type of sound recording software on the Mac. I use Evernote for all meeting notes, and audio, etc.

I wont cover all the great things about this unit that have already been discussed (very comfortable, good sound quality, very intuitive, love that you can bridge 2 calls, etc). I primarily wanted to address Mac users out there, as there isn't much info out there with how this unit works on the Apple side.

I'm very pleased!!

Update: 8/21/12 - Still loving it. now with Mountain Lion OSX, one of the features is voice dictation. I havent completely deleted Dragon Dictate for the Mac, but I hardly open it now, unless I'm dictating something very large - I use the built in voice dictation in Mountain Lion all the time now. The Jabra works flawlessly as a dictation input mic for dropping dictated speech to text anywhere...I just hit the function key 2x and start talking. You do need to make sure that the input (in sound preferences) is looking at the Jabra (I use "Audio Switcher", a nice small app that runs in task bar). But, it's awesome, and much quicker and less resource intensive than Dragon Dictate...nothing to load... The only thing I'd put on my wishlist for this product is that when you are on the headset, remotely, and you get a call, that there were a text to speech voice to let you know who is calling when you're not at the base. A very common bluetooth feature in most headsets - so I'm sure it would be nothing to add it here...

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love It!, September 15, 2010
et (Charlotte, NC) - See all my reviews
I received this product yesterday afternoon and have been using it almost non stop since it got here. It took me about 15-20 minutes to set it up and install the software on my PC. I fine tuned the settings and updated the drivers before I used it so I could make sure that everything was setup as it should be. I don't really use a soft phone but I use a VOIP and my cell service at least 7 hours a day so it is great to be able to switch back and forth between the two almost seamlessly. I am a blue-tooth and office headset aficionado only because I have had so many that have not performed up to my expectations. I am sure that this headset has features that I haven't even noticed yet but so far I am giving this a HUGE 5 STAR review! I bought this and the lifter online for $365.

My only complaint is that I believe for the price that the lifter should have come with it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Would have liked this to work for me, but it did not meet my expectations, July 17, 2013
I have been an avid user of the GN Netcom (now Jabra) wireless headsets. My current model is the 9125. I was looking for a VOIP solution, and tried this unit out. The promise of landline, VOIP and cell phone integration was intriguing. Unfortunately, the sound quality did not meet my (admittedly high) standards. I took the time to work with support, but could not tune the audio settings to provide a natural, warm sound. The audio was tinny, with some raspy edges to it. The microphone seemed to induce a feedback loop that was truly annoying. After two weeks of trying, I gave up. I ended up going with a Logitech BH-940 which is working well for me.