4.0 out of 5 stars great illustrations but somewhat awkward wording
Published on September 27, 2007 by Robin Lapre

3.0 out of 5 stars Well-Illustrated Classic
Published on September 12, 2005 by Jimmy MacS

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars great illustrations but somewhat awkward wording, September 27, 2007
This review is from: Jack and the Beanstalk (Paperback)
Overall I enjoyed the book - the illustrations in particular are amazing (and yes, possibly scary for the under 5 crowd). My only complaint is perhaps what other readers may view as a positive - that the text tries to capture the "Old world" language flare. At times, I found the wording to be unintentionally tongue twisting... not just the choice of words but the rhythm to the sentences - all made it a little rough for this reader the first time through. As examples, try reading aloud:
"What!" said Jack's mother."Have you been such a dolt, such an idiot as to give away my Milky-white, the best milker in the parish, for a set of paltry beans? Off with you to bed! And as for your precious beans, here they go out the window."
So Jack went upstairs to his little room in the attic, and sad and sorry he was to be sure, as much for his mother's sake as for the loss of his supper.
....
My only other criticism of the book is that only once does the Ogre give the full recitation of
"Fee, Fi, Fo, Fum, I smell the blood of an Enlishman.
Be he alive or be he dead, I'll grind his bones to make my bread."
Most of the time he only says Fee, Fi, Fo, Fum, or perhaps the rest of the first line. I've read another version that repeats the full verse at least thrice, and by the third reading, all the children are gleefully reciting along with you. So when I read this particular version to my children, I just ad lib that part and read the full verse each time, which the children seem to enjoy.

Overall, I'd say the illustrations make the book. Otherwise, the version is a bit too awkwardly worded for me, but others may enjoy that style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deliciously scary read-aloud!, March 31, 2001
This review is from: Jack and the Beanstalk (Paperback)
Kellogg's traditional tale interpretations are among the best. His illustrations take on the old-time feel of classic tales and seem to magically glow, as they do in all his books. I read this book to my Kindergarten class and they ask for it again and again. It is great to see them cover their eyes and ears at the scary moments--they are frightened, but smiling from ear to ear.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well-Illustrated Classic, September 12, 2005
Jimmy MacS (Springfield, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jack and the Beanstalk (Hardcover)
A faithful rendering of a classic story with artful decoration. Like most of the "Jack" stories, this story of cunning, belief in self, perseverence, duplicity, and violence evokes mixed feelings for adult readers. My young daughter loves the story and the pictures, but appeared to take the story too seriously at first. Now it's just another bedtime story with lovely pictures and a well-worn plotline.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pictures too graphic and scary for young children!, May 29, 2008
This review is from: Jack and the Beanstalk (Paperback)
I have two boys ages 3 1/2 and 5 1/2. The pictures in this book are too graphic and scary for young children. I only read a few pages and put it away. My boys had no desire to look at this scary book. I was worried my children would have nightmares if I read the entire book to them. I plan on donating this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story, but a little too scarey for small children, June 22, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Jack and the Beanstalk (Paperback)
I originally brought this version of Jack and the Beanstalk home from the library to see if my 4 year old grandson would like it--he loved it so much I purchased it. This version is similar to the one I remember growing up with, however, when I read it to him I eliminate/improvise over the sentences that I think are way too scarey for a small child (eating boys on toast for breakfast, broiling calves, etc.). Even tho I think the illustrations can be a little frightening for smaller children, he doesn't seem to be bothered by them. And, all children love "fee fi fo fum, etc." and like to be scared just a little bit.

1.0 out of 5 stars 1 star for toddlers, 4 stars for ages 8+, June 8, 2008
This review is from: Jack and the Beanstalk (Paperback)
Steven Kellog is a fantastic illustrator if your familiar with any of his works you know this. So when I set out on my quest to find a gripping fantastic "NON-Scary" version of 'Jack and the Beanstalk" I gave this a whirl but boy am I incredibly disappointed the ogre in it is very scary, he actually holds a big "hunting" type knife the words haven't been altered in anyway so "fee fi fo fum I smell the blood of an englishman" etc is still there and just much to much for a little girl aged 3 which is what I have here at home its too graphic I actually gave the book away to my cousins kids who play all the new video so are not easily scared and are 7+ for any younger I'd hide this on the back of the bookcase unless you don't mind that sort of thing. In my house this is a nightmare causing book. Steven stayed really close to the original so kudos for that but beware of the recommended age group on this story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Illustrated, Well-told Story (not for the timid or very young), June 23, 2006
4 1/2 Stars

This may be a picture book of a classic children's story, but this story gains a bit of fear when illustrated, making it unsuitable to children who are easily frightened. My preschooler covered his eyes; the ogre is really scary looking.

As for the story itself, it is a classic and retold well here. Young grade school kids will enjoy the small thrill of the tenser moments followed by the relief of the happy ending, especially if you give the ogre a really scary voice.

And the pictures--dark pictures for dark scenes--are well done. Don't miss the ones before the title page and after the end of the story as they tell the rest of the story.

One question: If Jack's mom was going to start shop with the proceeds from the cow, why didn't she do it with the bag of gold?

4.0 out of 5 stars Good version of this fairy tale, March 11, 2003
Alex Facundo (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jack and the Beanstalk (Hardcover)
I thought this version of the fairy tale was very well written. This is probably my favorite version out of the ones I have read before. It has been my favorite fairy tale since I was just a young little boy. I always liked to hear my mother and school teacher read the story out loud. My favorite part used to be when the ogre said, "Fee! Fi! Fo! Fum!" I remember when my kindergarten teacher used to walk around like a monster when she read that part. The pictures in this version are also a couple of the better ones I've seen in other versions of the fairy tale. I thought the author of the book was one of the best because he was pretty good at telling the tale and he also used detailed pictures. The pictures would be enough to scare little ones and make them laugh at the same time. The pictures were probably some of the better ones you will see in other versions of this fairy tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Geat Book, September 2, 2005
This review is from: Jack and the Beanstalk (Paperback)
My daughter is six and she loves this book. Not too scary, but enough to keep her interest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wellllll... the giant looks like an ogre or a troll., April 5, 2011
This review is from: Jack and the Beanstalk (Paperback)
I am picky about "Jack and the Beanstalk." I have read 8 or 9 versions of the story to my children, and this one is pretty good. The story is the familiar story without any surprises. Steven Kellogg's style of illustrations is great for younger readers. I have a family of boys, and the little ones like Steven Kellogg's style very well.

Some of the illustrations are extremely good - the beanstalk growing, and the castle at the top. But the giant's wife looks like a voodoo priestess, and the giant looks like Grendel. I would honestly give this book 4-and-a-half stars, but that's not possible.

Still, this book tells the classic fairy tale well, and it's an important story about taking risks and being persuasive. Boys need Jack.

(What is your favorite version of "Jack and the Beanstalk?" Ours is by John Howe.)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Jack and the Beanstalk
Jack and the Beanstalk by Steven Kellogg (Paperback - April 24, 1997)
$6.99