5.0 out of 5 stars Great lip balm
Published on March 21, 2011 by Melissa

Published 4 months ago by Tom

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lip balm, March 21, 2011
Melissa (Sultan, WA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm SPF 25, Natural Mint & Shea Butter (Health and Beauty)
I am currently on Accutane which has caused me to have very dry lips. I have tried a lot lip balms ranging from affordable drugstore brands to high end specialty ones and I must say the Jack Black Intense Lip Therapy is one of my favorites. I find myself reaching for it frequently, so much so in fact I now have all three flavors; mint, lavender/vanilla, and lemon. I keep one in my purse, one on my nightstand and one on my person. A single application of Jack Black will keep my lips moist for several hours, which is saying a lot. I would imagine the benefits are even better for someone not on Accutane :) I like the containers these balms come in and have had no problems. I dislike balms that are packaged in tins that I have to apply with my fingers, I end up with more product under my finger nails than on my lips. The other lip balm I would highly recommend is Smith's Rosebud Salve in the squeezable tube.Rosebud Perfume Co. Rosebud Salve in a Tube 0.5 oz **UPDATE** After using all 3 flavors for several months I can say that the Lemon Chamomile is by far my favorite, followed by Natural Mint and then Vanilla/Lavender.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, Less than ideal packaging, September 20, 2005
Dom Miliano (Denville, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I was in Nordstroms when they were having a Jack Black products promotion. I bought a bunch of great stuff but the lip balm was easily the best in the bunch. It has a pleasant minty taste. It's not greasy or oily and actually makes your lips feel better in no time at all. I used to use couple of other products but retired them to my night stand, keeping this product in my pocket exclusively. The only glitch (and the reason for only 4 stars on a 5 star product) was the weak plastic tube packaging. My tube cracked and leaked in my pocket. I had to use scotch tape to repair and get the last bit out of the tube. Aside from that, this is a great lip balm that works better than anything else I have tried.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lip Balm, September 30, 2011
Natalie H. (NEW YORK, NY USA) - See all my reviews
After receiving the Natural Mint & Shea Butter in a mini gift bag for NY Fashion Week, I absolutely fell in love with it! I then decided to try the other flavors and bought the Vanilla & Lavender, Lemon & Chamomile, Grapefruit & Ginger, as well as a full size Natural Mint & Shea Butter (because I loved it so much). They were all great! They're not oily or sticky like other lip balms out there and they keep your lips moisturized for the whole day. I also find that after using it for a week or so the dryness of my lips went away and my lips were so smooth that you can barely see any lip prints. After trying all the flavors that I've gotten, I have to say the Natural Mint & Shea Butter is the best, hands down (in my opinion). A lot of people were recommending the Lavender but I find it a bit herb like. I was expecting it to be more sort of like the lavender flavor/smell that you would use to calm and relax yourself before bed, but that wasn't the case. It was quite herby, like the actual lavender flower/herb if you bought it in a store. If you like herb or natural flavors you should try the Lavender one... but if you don't I suggest trying something else. The Lemon and Grapefruit was quite sweet and fruity. The lemon taste and smell just like a lemon cake with cream cheese frosting... I mean it's really nice and all, but it can be a bit overpowering if you don't like sweet-candy-like flavors. The grapefruit was sweet was but wasn't as overpowering as the Lemon one. It has more of a citrus taste to it. The citrus-acid flavor balanced out the sweetness of it so gives off a fresh citrus taste. The Original, Natural Mint & Shea Butter, has to be my favorite. When you put it on, it leaves a tingly minty feeling on your lips, which the others don't surprisingly. I thought the other flavors would also leave a minty feeling on your lips just like how the "Soft Lips" brand chap sticks do, but surprisingly only the Natural Mint & Shea Butter gives you that tingly feeling. Other reviewers have described the Mint flavor as numbing and such, but that wasn't the case for me. I find it very soothing and relaxing for my lips. I think as long as you don't put too much or slather it on your lips you should be fine. In short, if you like sweet things I would recommend the Lemon & Chamomile without a doubt, if you like herb or natural kind of flavor I would recommend the Vanilla & Lavender, if you like fresh citrus kind of flavor try the Grapefruit & Ginger, and if you like minty fresh flavor then obviously the Natural Mint & Shea Butter woud be the way to go.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best for my itchy/peeling dry lips, January 16, 2012
I get dry lips in the winter, but not as bad as this winter (itchy, dry and peeling all the time) and nothing I used before helps. This Jack Black lip balm is the only thing that got me through this month. It is a clear balm but can form a film on top of your lips like gloss (sans shine) when you apply generously. Apparently some flavor irritate (mint) or taste gross. I got tea & blackberry flavor. It doesn't taste like anything when I lick my lips, but smells like pleasant berry tea. Will try ginger&grapefruit next.

However, it definitely moisturizes, makes my lips soft, and minimizes the appearance of flaky skin. Since moisturizing is a relative term, so here's what I tried and where it ranks on my hydration scale.

Least hydrating:
Softlips - summer only
Maybelline Baby lips - summer/fall

Ok:
EOS - summer/fall
Yes to Carrot Pomagranate SPF - fall/winter, but leaves white film.
Nivea Kiss of Moisture - fall/winter, but sinks in fast and need reapply

Most hydrating:
Rose Salve - great all-purpose balm, sits on the lip and protect, but doesn't moisturizes as well as the next 3.
Lypsyl original- excellent for fall/winter, thin/greasy consistency, need to reapply.
Sugar Fresh original - excellent for fall/winter, thicker balmy/creamy consistency that helps prevent wind burn.
**Jack Black** - most hydrating, stopped my lip from peeling/itching, film on mouth annoying but helps prevent wind burn.

4.0 out of 5 stars Buttery Lip Love!, August 23, 2010
I love this! I don't have a problem with the mint at all. The lip balm is beautiful! So creamy and smooth, doesn't make your lips shiny, absorbs quickly, and leaves your lips soft and supple for days! I've been long searching for a good lip balm, I get terrible dry cracked lips. I've tried everything, and paid up to $15 for lip balm, even the very pricey Dr.Hauschka Skin Care Lip Balm .14 oz (4.2 g) repeatedly, honestly I haven't found anything so genuinely moisturizing as Jack Blacks lip balm... I'm surprised to say.

Also, like the other reviewer says, it doesn't make your lip "addicted" to the lip balm, where you have to reapply and reapply. It just moisturizes your lips beautifully, and makes them feel supple and smooth :)

The only problem I have with this is the mint is so strong it actually starts to numb my lips. I switched to the Jack Black Lavender and Vanilla Lip Balm and I'm a much happier customer now. The product is great! the mint is just a bit extreme for my tastes here.

1.0 out of 5 stars Giving It 1 Star Is Being Generous! Ingredients Are Disgraceful..., July 19, 2014
Tom (Hatboro, PA) - See all my reviews
It really is a 0/5 rating. Heck, it should get a negative rating. I've commended Jack Black for the ingredients they've used, and more importantly NOT USED, in the past. I just got done writing an extremely positive review of their new deodorant. However, this product is horrendous for the ingredients that's in there. First off, the fact that there's ANY petroleum in a 'premium' lip balm is absurd let alone over 40% of the product!

Then there are the parabens. If you do not know much or anything about parabens, they are possible carcinogens. And, at the very least they can cause irritation/allergies to the skin. But, parabens especially Butylparaben and Propylparaben are endocrine disruptors. So, prolonged usage of a product with ANY parabens is very scary for your health let alone 3 of them! And, all three are the harshest ones out there. Methylparaben (not in the product), is about the only paraben that MIGHT be safe for usage. Even scarier, is ALL 3 parabens come before Shea Butter and Vitamin E on the ingredient list. That means there's significantly more parabens than the ingredients they're advertising. With all these horrible products being put on your lips and inevitably sometimes in your mouth is downright scary.

Jack Black has so many other products that are hypoallergenic, paraben free, sulfate free, fragrance free, synthetic preservative free, ect. So, Jack Black, do the right thing and reform the formula and make it better than ever. For the size of it, it's a relatively premium price. You should be able to put the right ingredients in it and still have the same price. If making a safer product makes it go up 50 cents or a dollar, so be it. But, for right now, shame on you for the ingredients in your lip balms!

5.0 out of 5 stars most hydrating balm ever!, June 6, 2011
i think the one i recieved is defective, the tube i got was less than half full, and was recieved in a beat up torn up box. but i called amazon and they refunded my money! i love their customer service!!!!!

Anyways, ive never tried any expensive lipbalms, except korres lip butter. this blows all the other lipbalms ive tried out the water! And ive probably tried every drugstore one avaliable. I have really dry lips. and when i mean dry, i mean DRY! my lips are constantly flaky, and irritated and itchy. Almost every morning i wake up i have blisters all over my lips from being so dry. Now that im using this + cortibalm my lips are finally normal! i can actually wear lipstick and gloss without my lips drying out and blistering. The hydration last so long and i only have to apply 1-2 times a day, opposed to having to apply balm 10-15 times a day like i used to. I LOVE THIS!

1.0 out of 5 stars No Petrochemicals? What do you call 40.2% Petrolatum?, June 30, 2013
I wanted a product with no petroleum. This product advertises 'free of petrochemicals.' On the container under Active Ingredients is Petrolatum 40.2%. Isn't that a petrochemical? Shea Butter is also advertised. On the container shea butter is second to the last under Inactive Ingredients & there are 13 Inactive ingredients, so how much shea butter is in there? Vitamin E, don't know what ingredient that is but it doesn't say Vitamin E. Don't waste your money on this product. Go to the drug store & buy some petroleum jelly. VERY DISAPPOINTED & still have dry lips.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow awesome stuff!, November 6, 2010
I LOVE this stuff.

It's really the only lip balm that has helped my chapped dried lips in years... usually I have to pay much more and use really hard to find products... but this year I got lucky!

This stuff is great. Really nourishing, my severely damaged winter lips are usually hopeless, always cracking flaking and bleeding no matter what I do! but this stuff is great, it absorbs completely and moisturizes my lips for hours!

I got the mint version first, but found the mint to be too harsh in that in numbed my lips. I really love this flavor. The vanilla is sweet smelling and the lavender is a really nice touch. A new favorite. ^^

1.0 out of 5 stars Formula Changed, September 19, 2012
When I first started using this product a few years ago, I was extremely impressed. It was listed by Jack Black as one of their vegan products, and it was one of the best lip balms I've ever used. Since then they changed the formula without disclosing (I have an old tube that lists the old ingredients that are vegan). It now includes beeswax, is thicker and doesn't sink in and moisturize as well, and just doesn't work as well as the old formula. I guess it's on me to read every product each time I buy no matter how many times I've purchased it before to make sure it's still vegan, but I'm extremely disappointed in this product change. This applies to all the various flavors.