Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm SPF 25, Natural Mint & Shea Butter, 0.25 oz.
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on September 30, 2011
After receiving the Natural Mint & Shea Butter in a mini gift bag for NY Fashion Week, I absolutely fell in love with it! I then decided to try the other flavors and bought the Vanilla & Lavender, Lemon & Chamomile, Grapefruit & Ginger, as well as a full size Natural Mint & Shea Butter (because I loved it so much). They were all great! They're not oily or sticky like other lip balms out there and they keep your lips moisturized for the whole day. I also find that after using it for a week or so the dryness of my lips went away and my lips were so smooth that you can barely see any lip prints. After trying all the flavors that I've gotten, I have to say the Natural Mint & Shea Butter is the best, hands down (in my opinion). A lot of people were recommending the Lavender but I find it a bit herb like. I was expecting it to be more sort of like the lavender flavor/smell that you would use to calm and relax yourself before bed, but that wasn't the case. It was quite herby, like the actual lavender flower/herb if you bought it in a store. If you like herb or natural flavors you should try the Lavender one... but if you don't I suggest trying something else. The Lemon and Grapefruit was quite sweet and fruity. The lemon taste and smell just like a lemon cake with cream cheese frosting... I mean it's really nice and all, but it can be a bit overpowering if you don't like sweet-candy-like flavors. The grapefruit was sweet was but wasn't as overpowering as the Lemon one. It has more of a citrus taste to it. The citrus-acid flavor balanced out the sweetness of it so gives off a fresh citrus taste. The Original, Natural Mint & Shea Butter, has to be my favorite. When you put it on, it leaves a tingly minty feeling on your lips, which the others don't surprisingly. I thought the other flavors would also leave a minty feeling on your lips just like how the "Soft Lips" brand chap sticks do, but surprisingly only the Natural Mint & Shea Butter gives you that tingly feeling. Other reviewers have described the Mint flavor as numbing and such, but that wasn't the case for me. I find it very soothing and relaxing for my lips. I think as long as you don't put too much or slather it on your lips you should be fine. In short, if you like sweet things I would recommend the Lemon & Chamomile without a doubt, if you like herb or natural kind of flavor I would recommend the Vanilla & Lavender, if you like fresh citrus kind of flavor try the Grapefruit & Ginger, and if you like minty fresh flavor then obviously the Natural Mint & Shea Butter woud be the way to go.
on January 16, 2012
I get dry lips in the winter, but not as bad as this winter (itchy, dry and peeling all the time) and nothing I used before helps. This Jack Black lip balm is the only thing that got me through this month. It is a clear balm but can form a film on top of your lips like gloss (sans shine) when you apply generously. Apparently some flavor irritate (mint) or taste gross. I got tea & blackberry flavor. It doesn't taste like anything when I lick my lips, but smells like pleasant berry tea. Will try ginger&grapefruit next.

However, it definitely moisturizes, makes my lips soft, and minimizes the appearance of flaky skin. Since moisturizing is a relative term, so here's what I tried and where it ranks on my hydration scale.

Least hydrating:
Softlips - summer only
Maybelline Baby lips - summer/fall

Ok:
EOS - summer/fall
Yes to Carrot Pomagranate SPF - fall/winter, but leaves white film.
Nivea Kiss of Moisture - fall/winter, but sinks in fast and need reapply

Most hydrating:
Rose Salve - great all-purpose balm, sits on the lip and protect, but doesn't moisturizes as well as the next 3.
Lypsyl original- excellent for fall/winter, thin/greasy consistency, need to reapply.
Sugar Fresh original - excellent for fall/winter, thicker balmy/creamy consistency that helps prevent wind burn.
**Jack Black** - most hydrating, stopped my lip from peeling/itching, film on mouth annoying but helps prevent wind burn.
0Comment|99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 21, 2011
I am currently on Accutane which has caused me to have very dry lips. I have tried a lot lip balms ranging from affordable drugstore brands to high end specialty ones and I must say the Jack Black Intense Lip Therapy is one of my favorites. I find myself reaching for it frequently, so much so in fact I now have all three flavors; mint, lavender/vanilla, and lemon. I keep one in my purse, one on my nightstand and one on my person. A single application of Jack Black will keep my lips moist for several hours, which is saying a lot. I would imagine the benefits are even better for someone not on Accutane :) I like the containers these balms come in and have had no problems. I dislike balms that are packaged in tins that I have to apply with my fingers, I end up with more product under my finger nails than on my lips. The other lip balm I would highly recommend is Smith's Rosebud Salve in the squeezable tube.Rosebud Perfume Co. Rosebud Salve in a Tube 0.5 oz **UPDATE** After using all 3 flavors for several months I can say that the Lemon Chamomile is by far my favorite, followed by Natural Mint and then Vanilla/Lavender.
55 comments|53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 20, 2005
I was in Nordstroms when they were having a Jack Black products promotion. I bought a bunch of great stuff but the lip balm was easily the best in the bunch. It has a pleasant minty taste. It's not greasy or oily and actually makes your lips feel better in no time at all. I used to use couple of other products but retired them to my night stand, keeping this product in my pocket exclusively. The only glitch (and the reason for only 4 stars on a 5 star product) was the weak plastic tube packaging. My tube cracked and leaked in my pocket. I had to use scotch tape to repair and get the last bit out of the tube. Aside from that, this is a great lip balm that works better than anything else I have tried.
on August 23, 2010
I love this! I don't have a problem with the mint at all. The lip balm is beautiful! So creamy and smooth, doesn't make your lips shiny, absorbs quickly, and leaves your lips soft and supple for days! I've been long searching for a good lip balm, I get terrible dry cracked lips. I've tried everything, and paid up to $15 for lip balm, even the very pricey Dr.Hauschka Skin Care Lip Balm .14 oz (4.2 g) repeatedly, honestly I haven't found anything so genuinely moisturizing as Jack Blacks lip balm... I'm surprised to say.

Also, like the other reviewer says, it doesn't make your lip "addicted" to the lip balm, where you have to reapply and reapply. It just moisturizes your lips beautifully, and makes them feel supple and smooth :)

The only problem I have with this is the mint is so strong it actually starts to numb my lips. I switched to the Jack Black Lavender and Vanilla Lip Balm and I'm a much happier customer now. The product is great! the mint is just a bit extreme for my tastes here.
on February 5, 2012
First, the tube is miniscule. When it arrived I thought it was a sample-that's how small it is. Second, this is no better or worse than 99% of the lip treatments on the market. I've tried applying it before bed and it feels pleasant going on with the convenient way the tube is designed, but my lips are just as dry after the 8 hours I slept with this on them. Same for day use; feels nice on, not too sticky or goopy, but when it wears off, my lips are no moister, plumper, softer, prettier, hydrated or anything else. It's a topical with no properties beyond producing very temporary slickness.

The taste is mild and goes away in a few minutes.

I'll use this up but I won't repurchase it or recommend it. I'd just as soon use Waxelene, Burt's Bee's, Vicks or even a plain, clear lip gloss.
on July 19, 2014
It really is a 0/5 rating. Heck, it should get a negative rating. I've commended Jack Black for the ingredients they've used, and more importantly NOT USED, in the past. I just got done writing an extremely positive review of their new deodorant. However, this product is horrendous for the ingredients that's in there. First off, the fact that there's ANY petroleum in a 'premium' lip balm is absurd let alone over 40% of the product!

Then there are the parabens. If you do not know much or anything about parabens, they are possible carcinogens. And, at the very least they can cause irritation/allergies to the skin. But, parabens especially Butylparaben and Propylparaben are endocrine disruptors. So, prolonged usage of a product with ANY parabens is very scary for your health let alone 3 of them! And, all three are the harshest ones out there. Methylparaben (not in the product), is about the only paraben that MIGHT be safe for usage. Even scarier, is ALL 3 parabens come before Shea Butter and Vitamin E on the ingredient list. That means there's significantly more parabens than the ingredients they're advertising. With all these horrible products being put on your lips and inevitably sometimes in your mouth is downright scary.

Jack Black has so many other products that are hypoallergenic, paraben free, sulfate free, fragrance free, synthetic preservative free, ect. So, Jack Black, do the right thing and reform the formula and make it better than ever. For the size of it, it's a relatively premium price. You should be able to put the right ingredients in it and still have the same price. If making a safer product makes it go up 50 cents or a dollar, so be it. But, for right now, shame on you for the ingredients in your lip balms!
on February 18, 2013
I was using another lip balm that cost 3x the cost of this item and while it was OK, I found I was putting in on 10-12 times a day. My skin is dry and my lips seem to take the brunt of that. They are dry and will peel - lipstick and gloss only makes it look worse. Based on the good reviews and the reasonable price, I decided to try this product. I wish I had found it earlier. It seems to penetrate the skin more, making my lips smooth and improving the texture of my lips. I find I have to use it half as much as the other more expensive product I used to use. The scents are very pleasant. I like the grapefruit best. My son inherited the dry lips thing and I bought one for him - he is a fan too. Great product - give it a try!
on February 4, 2016
I bought this based off several product review lists I had read online. All of them said that Jack Black was a really good option for really chapped lips. I usually don't have many issues with my lips but I do work hard to keep them well moisturized. This winter, however, it has been a brutal battle, which is why I decided to try something a little more intense. The one I bought was the Shea Butter and Vitamin E, so that is the one I am reviewing.

Pros:
* The feel on your lips is quite nice. Not too slick or sticky, and it does seem to stay on for quite a while.
* No major smell, and no taste (The main reasons I bought this flavor). I guess this could be considered a pro OR a con.
* The ingredients. Lots of good, natural ingredients and no menthol or alcohols (both of which actually dry your lips out and are in a surprising amount of lip balms!)
*SPF 25 sunscreen!

Cons:
*I honestly didn't notice a huge amount of difference between this and my good old Blistex in terms of how my lips look and feel. Maybe this is just me, though. Certainly, in terms of the ingredients, Jack Black wins out, but it's up to you to decide if that is worth it to you
*Again, this is a personal preference, but I prefer stick lip balm to the kind you squeeze out. I found myself over-squeezing on several occasions, which was kind of a waste.
* Don't leave this in your car during the winter! I made this mistake, and when I tried to use it, I could barely get anything out.On the other hand, stick balms tend to melt during the summer, so if you like to keep a balm everywhere like I do, these things are something to keep in mind.

Overall, this is a very nice lip balm. If it came in stick form, I would be all over it! As it is, I will probably buy it again, but I also probably won't stop buying my Blistex either. If nothing else, if I lose a Blistex, I won't worry about it, whereas if I lost this, I'd be a little more upset.

Pro tip: Try using a lip scrub once a week or so if you find yourself with extra skin flakes on your lips. Balms will work much better if they don't have to fight through all that dead skin! A good one is Lush Bubble Gum Lip Scrub Made in Canada Ships From USA , which is certified organic, and cruelty and alcohol free.
review image
on December 22, 2014
Honestly,
This was a good buy and I would buy it again. It worked as a way to help chapped lips. People who sometimes experience the need to Lick their lips alot due to the fact that your lips are dry can really use this. Personally I used this because I always had the need to lick my lips when my lips are dry. Also, it dosent really have a bad taste to it if you lick some off after re-applying. Personally every time I use Carmex, it really bothers my stomach when I swallow some by accident. This lip balm wont taste bad and it wont bother your insides.For me, my lips actually healed faster then Carmex.

I give it four stars because I was (for some reason) expecting the lip balm to come in a little bit larger size. I was a little dissapointed ,but it still works as it is advertised.
review image review image