5.0 out of 5 stars BEST COMPUTER BRIDGE PROGRAM

3.0 out of 5 stars Program need more flexibility
Published on August 6, 2011 by James H Maroldo

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST COMPUTER BRIDGE PROGRAM, February 6, 2009
This review is from: Jack 6.0 Computer Bridge Software (PC-DVD) (CD-ROM)
Whether you want to compete in a virtual tournament, play random deals or generate deals that meet your criteria, Jack is a complete computer bridge program for players at all levels. For example, in a team tournament you can start off at the B level competing against other teams in a series of matches. After the competition is completed you move up or down depending on your results. Professor Jack can analyze your play and give tips both on bidding and play. You strive to play and stay at the championship level. If you choose, plays and calls are announced by Barry Westra, a Dutch brige pro. Also, many tournaments are included with freguency charts. Jack bridge plays SAYC, 2/1 Game Force, ACOL, Precision, etc. through built in convention cards with approximately 100 conventions. You can create your own convention card. It supports network play and has fast double dummy play. Scoring can be based on match points, total points or imps. You can print out results. Jack is constantly improving the program and within the version there are no charges for upgrades. In the annual battle of computer programs Jack is the winner in most years. Customer support is terrific. I play 2/1 game force and disagreed with a bidding sequence and e-mailed Jack. Promply, I received a reply setting forth the rationale for the bidding sequence with a satisfactory explanation. I note that the Dutch Jack programmers attend the ACBL National Tournaments and are doing quite well in the events. For myself, I am presently a Silver Life Master and constantly improving my bridge game through Jack. In tournament play, it is a constant challenge to move up in class. Highly reccommended. Started off with Bridge Barron but have switched to Jack and glad I did so. It is an incredible bridge computer program.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Jack!, October 3, 2010
This review is from: Jack 6.0 Computer Bridge Software (PC-DVD) (CD-ROM)
As a newly retired person, who has not played bridge for 40 years, I felt like a beginner. I read the book Clubs and then was referred to Bridge Barron, another computer program. In looking at reviews I found Jack 5.0 Computer Bridge Software listed as an award winner and compatible with Windows 7. I thought it was too pricey at $69 +$10 shipping, but finally decided to buy it. I have now played about 261 hands of bridge with Jack. I almost think of this software as a person. Sometimes I refuse Jack's suggestions and he leaves the building, telling me I am on my own. Sometimes I let Jack bid for me and find he gets us in trouble. When we go down, I play and replay the hand. Then I see how Jack would play it. Sometimes he doesn't do any better than I do. Last week a person in my beginner group asked me to play with the advanced group and I felt totally confidant. I have learned tons from Jack.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Bridge Software, September 17, 2010
This review is from: Jack 6.0 Computer Bridge Software (PC-DVD) (CD-ROM)
I own and use both Bridge Baron and Jack 5.0 . Both are excellent products but I have to give the edge to Jack for caliber of play and overall capabilities. Jack's ability to not only help with bidding but with the actual play of the hand provides an outstanding teaching tool. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jack is World's Strongest Bridge Program, March 14, 2010
This review is from: Jack 6.0 Computer Bridge Software (PC-DVD) (CD-ROM)
Jack 5.0 is recognized as the world's strongest computer bridge program. The best program is determined each year at a computer bridge championship which has been sponsored since 1997 by the American Contract Bridge League and the World Bridge Federation. Jack won first place in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2012 and again in 2013. Searching the internet for "world computer bridge championship" will find links to all of these tournament results and to interesting articles about the world of computer bridge.

3.0 out of 5 stars Program need more flexibility, August 6, 2011
This review is from: Jack 6.0 Computer Bridge Software (PC-DVD) (CD-ROM)
The overall program is good. Unfortunately it uses conventions during the bidding process that the average party bridge player does not use. I am not interested in learning all of these conventions. I cannot find a way to suppress the use of them. This makes bidding very difficult and often unpredictable since your "computer partner" and your opponents use them while bidding. The program is outstanding once you get to actually playing the hands.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best (so far), October 29, 2011
This review is from: Jack 6.0 Computer Bridge Software (PC-DVD) (CD-ROM)
While I am still searching for the "perfect" bridge instruction program, a program that interacts at the various stages of decision making and explains the values of different choices, this Jack 5.0 program comes the closest. You with the "Professor Jack" feature you can have the program look over your shoulder and give advice. Unfortunately, the advice is more of the "good choice, bad choice, unsure choice" type. As there re books that thoughtfully explain the choices and variances of conventions (SAYC, 2 over 1, etc.)to have a program that does the same thing AS YOU PLAY would be great.

The other options available are the very good Bridge Baron series, which offers a helpful decision tree feature to show how conditions of your hand (and how the bidding has gone thus far)necessitates certain options in bidding lead to specific bids. I may need a private tutor, but I need to understand the rationale of bids and card play before it sticks in my head. Jack 5.0 is better in this capacity than Bridge Baron, but having the option tree is nice.

Speaking of having a private tutor,I would be remiss if I did not mention Bil Bridge- The online Bridge community that is free at the basic level of just finding someone to play with or watch games being played. What is truly excellent is the broadcast of championship games with a chat (kibbitz) room so other watchers can discuss the game as it is played. Also, they have online classes (also free)to instruct and explain the game at various levels. I suppose one could engage a private tutor using the chat feature just as they do with the classes. What you pay for, if you want to, is the books and private training rooms where you play against the program after setting your conventions. My problem with this is that in these rooms, while you practice, there is no such training interactions as you find with the software programs Jack 5.0 or Bridge Baron. Also, the program opponents ('bot' players)are very stupid at each level, which is disappointing.

If the issue is money, you can't blame Jack for setting their price at the standard price (in some places more expensive)for a Xbox, PC, or Playstation3 game...$60 or more.

Given the choices available, Jack. 5.0 is decidedly worth the price, better at advice that Bridge Baron, and smarter by far in play that the 'bot' players in Bil Bridge. As I said, maybe it's that I am asking for more than any one program can deliver; but when you know the features you are looking for is out there, it seems the perfect Bridge program for me would be possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, January 27, 2011
This review is from: Jack 6.0 Computer Bridge Software (PC-DVD) (CD-ROM)
Bought this for my Wife, who is addicted to Bridge. She is very happy and has told all her friends how great the product is. Great purchase, fast shipping, all is well.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, October 13, 2010
This review is from: Jack 6.0 Computer Bridge Software (PC-DVD) (CD-ROM)
I like it. It has lots of options to customize play. I keep learning more about the program thru the hints. I think it might make a better bridge player.

4.0 out of 5 stars No surprises, January 16, 2011
This review is from: Jack 6.0 Computer Bridge Software (PC-DVD) (CD-ROM)
Returning to bridge after 15 years.
Jack is perfect practice tool for me,
and blows away Bridge Baron 20.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jack's Bridge Software, March 7, 2011
This review is from: Jack 6.0 Computer Bridge Software (PC-DVD) (CD-ROM)
We have only used Jack's bridge software for a month or so. However, my wife definitely like this software very much. It allows you to practice between actual bridge games and sharpen your bidding skills. We both expect to improve considerably in time with the use of this software.

Jack 6.0 Computer Bridge Software (PC-DVD)
Jack 6.0 Computer Bridge Software (PC-DVD) by Jack (Windows 7 / 8 / Vista / XP)
$69.95