Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Jack Frost [VHS]
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: VHS Tape|Change

on November 21, 1999
"Jack Frost" tells the story of how the wintry sprite is transformed by his love for someone very special to him! And the great voice actor Paul Frees (best known as the voice of Boris Badenov in "The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle") does an amazing job as the voice of the villain, Kubla Kraus. Don't miss him singing the "Rub-a-Dub" song! (Which is usually cut from TV broadcasts of this film.) "Jack Frost" is another extraordinary film by Romeo Muller, who also wrote the classic Animagic, Rankin/Bass Christmas films, "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and "Frosty the Snowman," among many other enchanting tales.
"Jack Frost" has always been one of my favorite Rankin/Bass Christmas specials. Because it was not aired as often as "Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer" or "Frosty the Snowman," there was always something special about it. It was more of a treat when I got to see it. Also, it had knights, castles and a steam-powered horse, which was a big bonus for me as a child.
This is an animagic production, with stop-motion puppets instead of cell animation. The story is winter-focused rather than Christmas focused. Jack Frost, an invisible elf who can never participate in the joy he brings to the humans, falls in love with a human girl. He petitions Father Winter to grant him humanity and give him the chance to win her love. The villain of the story is Kublah Krause, the Cossack King. He gets the best song. "I'm Kublah Krause, I could have been a Shogun, but there are no Samurai around here, there's the rub, there's the rub..."
The only holiday represented is Groundhog's Day, and the Groundhog himself (voiced by Buddy Hackett) makes an appearance. "I've got a day named after me, February 2..." Other characters include Holly the Snow Gypsy and Snip the Snowflake Cutter.
This DVD is a fairly frill-free production, and contains only the main feature. It was produced for stores to put in their "bargain DVD" racks. Still, the quality is great and there is no other DVD version of "Jack Frost" available. A definite must-have for the holidays.
on December 6, 2003
This was the first of many Rankin/Bass holiday specials I saw on TV (the only ones I owned on video being the popular "Rudolph" and "Peter Cottontail.") I was pleased by this one too. In fact, I recall seeing part of it once last year on TV too--it also seems to be one of the more popular ones. Anyway, the idea that a girl is in love with "Jack Frost" and then Jack Frost, who's lonely, becomes human because he thinks she really loves him, was, I thought, quite adorable. So "Jack Snip" the tailor moves in with the girl's family. I liked the song they sang while unwrapping an empty box and pretending it was "just what they'd always wanted." It was sad, yet cute. Snip, the snowflake-maker, followed Jack to Earth to help him reach his human-like goals by spring and remain a human, and also to keep out of trouble. The story only began to drag a little when the "k-nights" came into it, and the snowed-in castle. In the end, the girl marries the man she truly loves, her "knight in golden armor." And of course, Jack Frost is present at her wedding. It's really a very nice tale.
VINE VOICEon November 25, 2005
This is one of the best from the stop motion specials of Rankin/Bass. It features lots of great characters and songs, and it's just under an hour long! The main focus is about Jack Frost becoming human, and falling in love, and we only breeze through Christmas during a portion of the show. This one use to air on cable channels throughout the winter months for this reason. This story features some of the best clay figures I have ever seen from Rankin Bass.

As for the DVD, the image quality is a little soft. The spotlight reviewer who stated it's the only DVD version is incorrect. There was a white cover version that preceded this one, and it came in a green clamshell DVD case. It was also by a budget company, but featured slightly sharper image quality. It is now out of print and was replaced by this one. If you can find it, I would choose that one over this blue cover version.
on December 4, 2004
I always enjoyed watching this movie. Kids today may not enjoy it as much as those of us that grew up with these movies. It's not an action packed adventure or a comedy. It's nice story about Jack Frost wanting to be human because he falls in love with a girl in a small town. I'll let you watch the movie for the rest of the story.

As a side note in response to the reviewer complaining that this movie does not focus on Christmas. There is a good reason for that. This movie takes place after Christmas. It is a story about winter and part of the story line is that the ground hog sees his shadow to extend winter. Last time I checked Ground Hog Day does not occur during Christmas.
on December 9, 2006
if you apprecaite classics and want something to enjoy every christmas season, then buy this! i have been watching this movie every christmas for the last 5 years. its a good movie with a kinda sad ending, but totally worth it! you just gotta love the animation style, and the story isn't fluffy like some movies tend to be.

its just a great christams movie
on January 14, 2005
When I rediscovered this little gem only recently (around the 2004 Christmas holiday season), I fell in love with it all over again. This animation is unique among the Rankin/Bass holiday specials, in that it has more of a fairytale/folklore style story (Christmas is only a background theme). It is still very suitable for a Christmas special, but very enjoyable to watch anytime of the year. I remember having seen it on television years ago as a tiny child, but I welcome it into my life even now.

This program would be appropriate for children or adults who appreciate fantasy (or specifically Rankin/Bass animation).
on December 2, 2002
A bit darker than the average Rankin/Bass holiday special, this moving entry is almost up there with "Rudolph" and "The Year Without a Santa Claus" - and perhaps has the most beautiful script of the lot.
Jack, the gentle personification of the better aspects of winter, is going about his business when he overhears Elisa, a pretty villager of January Junction trying to get her parents to stop nagging her about marriage, joke that she'll only marry Jack Frost. Shaken to the core, Jack - who doesn't really fit in with the less earthy winter sprites in charge of snow, sleet and hail but who also remains distant from the humans among whom he carries out his duties, realizes as if for the first time how lonely he really is. He asks for - and is granted - a winter of humanity that may change to permanent status if he can earn his way in the world and win a wife by spring. The gracefully awkward Jack is befriended by Elisa and her parents, all of whom he comes to love.
Jack, however, has two strikes against him - a good-guy noble knight who turns Elisa's head and the evil Kubla Kraus, who forces Jack to make a heartwrenching but inevitable decision for the sake of his loved ones.
This classic also has legs beyond Christmas, being appropriate anytime between first frost and Groundhog Day.
on December 2, 2004
I also grew up watcing Rankin & Bass Christmas cartoons. One of my top favorties is Jack Frost still to this day. I just LOVE IT!! I love how sweet and humble Jack Frost is, and not to mention how "human" he is too.

I am so happy this movie is now on DVD!! Now, I can share this story with my own child!

Oh, and yes it is a "love" story, but is endearing and memorable. You just can't be disappointed with this film. Like I said, Jack Frost is the BEST!!