Most helpful critical review
17 of 17 people found the following review helpful
Some great pro's but also a lot of con's... ++ UPDATED
on July 2, 2014
Bought this a week ago to do some juicing from home. I've used it about 3 times a day since I bought it. Here are my thoughts as of now, and I will update in a few months.
* Easy to set up out of the box.
* Very quiet when you turn it on.
* Creates very little foam so there's no need to strain.
* Doesn't heat up the juice like other juicers will.
* Great with harder fruits and veggies (e.g., carrots, beets, apples, sweet potatoes, ginger root)
* Not ridiculously expensive.
* Easy to clean as far as juicers go (I wash by hand).
* Doesn't take up much counter space.
* Doesn't produce as much juice as other juicers I've owned (and those were all cheaper juicers).
* Doesn't come with a cleaning brush (I had to buy a grout cleaner brush for the mesh filter - regular sponges won't do the job).
* Gets LOUD and SHAKES when juicing softer fruits and leafy greens.
* Spout is too low to put most cups/pitchers under to catch the juice - meaning you have to hold the cup/pitcher when trying to put the fruit/veggie down the chute. Or put a book underneath which isn't ideal. Awkward!
* When I tried to put bigger pieces of fruits/veggies down the chute they would get stuck instead of being processed through the mesh filter - so I've reverted to cutting everything up into smaller pieces to avoid jamming the chute. Sort of a waste of a big opening.
* The spout itself is awkward and falls off too easily. Once I put it in incorrectly and juice ended up pouring out of the sides of the machine!
Bottom line: For the price and the quality of the no-foam juice you get this isn't a bad juicer. But there are a lot of annoying design problems with the machine. If you really want to make juice at home (I like to in order to save $$) it's a good buy but if you're not a regular juicer or if you're okay with smoothies instead of juice this might frustrate too much to make it worth it.
+++ UPDATE +++ UPDATE +++
So after about two weeks of using the machine 1-2x per day the thing isn't working anymore. It won't turn on. After reading other reviews and the instructions that came with I think the problem is the safety mechanism that prevents the machine from starting when the machine isn't assembled correctly. I've tried taking it apart and putting it back together a dozen times and no luck. SOOOO frustrating since I already cut up all the fruits and veggies I was going to juice. Argh!