Customer Discussions > Songs From The Silver Screen forum

Jackie Evancho : General Discussion #1

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 31, 2012 4:39:23 AM PDT
pa1189 says:
Having got the title right, feel free to use this thread if you'd like to.

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 4:49:48 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 29, 2012 3:17:08 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 10:47:09 AM PDT
Ehkzu says:
If you're a new Jackie fan:

There has been a large, vigorous ongoing discussion about Jackie on Amazon.com for years. Most of this can be found at the page for Dream With Me--tens of thousands of posts. The discussion will move here--only question is when. My guess is sometime between her PBS special, which starts airing August 11 (varies greatly from station to station) and the CD actually shipping.

If you haven't seen her perform live, you may not know why you'll want to get the DVD of the live performance as well. Getting Dream With Me in Concert [Blu-ray] will tell you why.

You might also want to look up some of her recent performances from her St. Petersburg duet with Sumi Jo, on YouTube.

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 11:11:55 AM PDT
Can hardly wait for this CD. It has to be as incredible as her previous recordings. What a great singer which will only get better.

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 11:43:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2012 11:44:52 AM PDT
Joseph Merkt says:
Pre-ordered 20. After hearing these song selections done live by Jackie at the Orpheum in LA, I can't wait for this studio album. Some wonderful featured artists (Joshua Bell, Chris Botti, 2Cellos, The Tenors) will be on it as well.

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 2:41:15 PM PDT
John Shima says:
Jackie's new CD is now also available for pre order At Barnes and Noble. How to we get Amazon to do a price match? $10.82 right now at Barnes and Noble.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/songs-from-the-silver-screen/25034331?ean=887254665526

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 3:56:49 PM PDT
John Shima says:
Jackie's new CD Already #13 Best seller over all for Amazon Music.... maybe we all stick with Amazon to get Jackie to #1! Would still like to get the price match to Barnes and Noble......

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 4:14:34 PM PDT
Chuck Yates says:
►► Songs of the Silver Screen is the companion CD to Jackie Evancho's Public Broadcasting Great Performances Special 'Music of the Movies'... a preview can be viewed at this link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8sKmupShIY

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 9:52:01 PM PDT
She's #1 on Movers & Shakers now:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/movers-and-shakers/music/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsms?pf_rd_p=1374970042&pf_rd_s=right-9&pf_rd_t=2101&pf_rd_i=list&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0WY9Q8TK7G4AGFTSVQB2

That's to go with #10 overall.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 2:18:56 AM PDT
Lezleyboom says:
Great idea about a little intro on the first page Ezkhu. I had no idea what the deal was here when I first stumbles across it. Never seen a forum work quite like it.

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 4:14:43 AM PDT
pa1189 says:
For anyone interested in the hi res image of the Amazon cd cover that I posted, you might be interested in this nifty extension for the Firefox browser which I used as one method of obtaining it.
azid - Amazon Zoom Image Downloader
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/azid-amazon-zoom-image-downloa/

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 7:18:27 AM PDT
C. Crabtree says:
I was there at the Orpheum in LA and I can assure you that she is worth every penny you might spend on purchasing any of her body of work.
Her voice is crystal clear and in perfect pitch. She adds her wonderful sparking personality to all she does. Never worry about the price differences
because Amazon always gives you the best price of the day when your order ships. I have done business with them for years and almost invariably
I get an email saying that my order has shipped and the price has been lowered by a certain amount to match the best price available for that day.

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 7:51:04 AM PDT
dragonslair says:
I agree with the price changes on shipment they even send an email explaining that they shipped it for less, works for me I buy from amazon because it will have chris botti on the horn but i will also buy from PBS just to see if the cd has the pbs version or the studio version of the violinists and trumpet players. That just may be the only differences between the two cd's.Just in case im getting the dvd as well from PBS

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 9:01:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 1, 2012 9:18:43 AM PDT
John Shima says:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's more important to the artist to sell more copies than paying a higher retail price per copy? Specifically , the wholesale price that Sony receives (and therefore the royalties that the artist receives) is fixed. The higher price(s) you pay goes to the retailer. So if you choose to support a particular retailer like Amazon or your local independent music store that's fine, but none of the higher price goes to the artist.

On that note, Amazon does use customer feedback to adjust prices so if many fans notify Amazon of any lower prices they hopefully will lower their price. It's pretty hard to pass up the Barnes and Noble deal right now. At $8.88 and free shipping on $25+, That's three copies of Jackie's new CD for less than the price of two at Amazon.

To report lower prices to Amazon here is the link (click "tell us about a lower price"):

Songs From The Silver Screen

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 1:35:25 PM PDT
I did report the lower price. Switched my order over to B&N. I do not believe Amazon will hit the $8.88. If they do I will just order more.

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 4:16:58 PM PDT
Here's B&N's SSS page, which says she's ranked #1:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/songs-from-the-silver-screen-jackie-evancho/25034331?ean=887254665526

However, when i look at best-sellers, they only seem to list post-release albums. Can't find her anywhere.
:(

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 3:46:50 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 29, 2012 3:17:48 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 5:14:41 AM PDT
BUGGY says:
I notice the best seller's rank has fallen like a stone since B&N price is almost $6.00 less than Amazon. I too have switched my pre-order to B&N, as they also offer free shipping. I like Amazon, just not that much. I'm surprised Amazon is pitching such an inflated price.

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 8:10:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 2, 2012 8:24:28 AM PDT
jimjosh says:
There are now 2 threads open in Songs From the Silver Screen now. I'm not sure which forum everyone feels is best to post in. Until we settle in to one I think I will just post in both.

This one seems to be more practical "Jackie Evancho : General Discussion #1" where as the other forum only says "General Topic #1" with Jackie's name omitted.

I like seeing Jackie's name up there so we know for sure the discussions are about Jackie and not general subjects not related to Jackie. JMO

Perhaps the other forum would be more practical for discussions such as those in "The People's Thread (Anything about Jackie and music of any kind)" in Dream With Me forum. Just a suggestion.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 8:46:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 2, 2012 8:54:02 AM PDT
pa1189 says:
@jj agreed about posting here. Until downloads are finally established as the primary market in the US then this CD forum seems the most appropriate.
ETA: I look forward to the time when the download quality exceeds that on the CD/DVD, not lower (mp3) as it is presently.

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 8:59:43 AM PDT
jimjosh says:
I got my order in for 7 from B&N @ 8.88 x7=62.16. 7 from Amazon @ 14.76 would be 103.53. That's a savings of 41.34. Almost the same as 3 free (44.28 for 3 at Amazon). 7 for practically the same price for 4. A no brainer for me. I will have 3 more extra for all intents and purposes that are free for new perspective Jackie fans.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 9:54:06 AM PDT
dragonslair says:
the only thing i don't like about B&N is that it takes the full amount immediately from your card as soon as you order where as amazon doesn't take the money until they send the order,not that it really matters, just saying. yes i like the extra copies for the same price. shipping is about the same $13.50 international

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 10:38:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 2, 2012 10:40:24 AM PDT
B&N charges sales tax to California residents ( Amazon does not) so it works out to about $9.60 per copy vs $14.76 on Amazon as of 8/2/2012 for California fans. That is still like buying two get one free going with B&N. I went with the sure thing - no guarantee how long B&N leaves the price at $8.88 and even if Amazon lowers the price - will it be lower than $9.60?

Seems like the price difference is large enough to matter to a large number of fans: as of 1PM EDT 8/2/2012 #1 best seller on Barnes and Noble and #48 best seller on Amazon. Hope the various powers that be take note:

Just saying, if price matters that much to the general public on CDs, that just might apply to concert tickets too? Oh, I'm sure there are die hard fans where price is not an issue. Agreed. Seems like the front row seats could actually be priced higher , but the minimum and average ticket prices should be lower if they want to grow Jackie's fan base.

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 12:17:37 PM PDT
Panda says:
I am leaving my pre-order here on Amazon intact for now. I want to see if they lower their price. But I placed an order on BN because it's so much cheaper. I can buy more there. And that is good for Jackie's sales figures.

Doc

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 1:25:21 PM PDT
Another retailer checks in - Best Buy now has Songs From the Silver Screen available for Pre order $12.99:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Songs+From+The+Silver+Screen+-+CD/20510329.p?id=2562526&skuId=20510329&st=%20evancho&lp=1&cp=1

Listing currently says not available for store pick up, but my experience has been Best Buy stores have had all of Jackie's CDs and DVDs, so far, available in the Los Angeles area stores the first day of release.

Useful if only to get Amazon to lower their price or get a copy day one if you have a Best Buy store near you!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 400 Next ›
Discussion locked

This discussion

Participants:  148
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jul 31, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Songs From The Silver Screen
Songs From The Silver Screen by Jackie Evancho (Audio CD - 2012)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (564)