Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc A. Sinclair Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS
Customer Discussions > Songs From The Silver Screen forum

Jackie Evancho : General Discussion #1

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Aug 11, 2012 9:43:18 AM PDT
How was "I See The Light?"

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 9:51:38 AM PDT
Pure Imagination,Can you feel the love tonight, Some enchanted evening,My heart will go on with Caroline Campbell on violin, which brought a huge audience reaction. Where the first songs were of course beautiful, this is where the game was on. Taking it to a level few, if any, can.The Summer Knows,with Jackies well known hauntingly beautiful musical ability to turn a phrase, with perfect accompaniment by trumpet by Jermanus Smith. Not familar with or know how to spell his name.

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 10:03:11 AM PDT
Robert Jung says:
On here now in Boston, Jackie opened with Pure Imagination. How beautiful!

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 10:23:05 AM PDT
I See the Light proves that Jackie is not the only Evancho that can sing, Cinema Paradiso, and Then Music of the Night brings Jackie to that level I spoke of earlier. Will take it's place among DW from DWMIC and NF from The Talk. She goes from high to very low unlike anyone I've ever seen.An all time performance. Do not miss it.When I fall in Love. The set up at the Orpheum is perfect for her. She needs to be out front where she connects to the audience.A gorgeous melody that Jackie performs as a smoky siren . Unbelievabl.Come What May,with the Tenors. try and keep up guys. Reflections, who Jackie dedicates to her Mom for allowing her to follow her now well known dream. This song is totally in Jackies wheelhouse and she knocks it out of the park. Disappointed that they didn't show more but world class none the less. We all owe Lisa Evancho a debt of gratitude

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 10:25:08 AM PDT
pa1189 says:
jackie tweets to @emmyrossum
your voice showed my real voice and inspired me - thought you should know. jackie

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 12:35:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 11, 2012 12:41:23 PM PDT
Clix Pix says:
I am kicking myself because I missed much of this, but was able to get the TV on and at least catch the last part of the program, starting with "When I Fall In Love." Great job, Jackie! I found myself spontaneously applauding right along with the audience, even though I was an audience of one in front of a TV. Beautiful, beautiful performance of all the songs I heard. Loved her performance with the Canadian Tenors! "Reflections" was exquisite. Jackie indeed has knocked this one right out of the park. Fortunately for me, I'll be able to catch the next broadcast tomorrow evening..... ETA: correction: TONIGHT!

The set is gorgeous! Kudos to everyone who put this together and who made this such a wonderful showcase for Jackie's beautiful voice and charming personality.

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 12:45:33 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 11, 2012 12:52:32 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 1:40:02 PM PDT
O. M. G.

Where's the guy that had a run of custom Jackie Kleenex boxes made? I think I need one...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 1:50:30 PM PDT
Panda says:
I'm sure they will run the program again and again in your area. Check local listing

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 2:42:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 11, 2012 2:43:15 PM PDT
Clix Pix says:
Yes, I am very fortunate in that I have access to two PBS stations in the metropolitan DC/Baltimore area. I can get both MPT (Maryland Public Television) and WETA (not sure what the acronym stands for here, but it is Washington something-or-other), Anyway, yes, this evening, tomorrow evening and several times this next week MPT will be be rebroadcasting, and WETA comes on board with it starting next Sunday. Plenty of opportunities for me to catch the full show!

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 2:45:48 PM PDT
Mrs. D says:
I am SO jealous. We have to wait until next FRIDAY night at 9pmCST to see and listen to Jackie!! That's an eternity away.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 2:59:20 PM PDT
papaw says:
All you guys are blessed. KET in my state of Kentucky won't be showing Jackie until winter. Now that's an eternity.

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 3:07:16 PM PDT
Who cares says:
Just curious, for those who have seen it on their local PBS stations, what kind of response were the stations getting with phone calls for pledges? Nobody has mentioned it anywhere that I can find. I know it was early and probably they won't get as much from a daytime airing as they would from an evening airing but was just wondering.

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 6:46:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 11, 2012 6:48:32 PM PDT
Clix Pix says:
Finally got to see the entire program tonight. What can I say? Exquisite....Delightful....Astonishing...Phenomenal....Awesome!!!! This program really, really showcases Jackie's voice beautifully and shows that she is indeed versatile (although I still kind of want to hear her do more arias in the future and was encouraged by her mention of wanting to do a duet with Andrea Bocelli). I'll admit that I had had my doubts about her performing "Music of the Night." Welllll....all doubts removed now! Beautifully, exquisitely done, immediately wiping memories of Michael Crawford from my mind's ear....

Each and every song was wonderfully done and I think I'd have to watch the program a few more times before I could even begin to say which is my favorite.

Jackie's poise and stage presence is striking -- only at times is one reminded that, oh, yes, this is a twelve-year-old girl. She sings angelically and handles herself like a pro who has been doing this for 30 or 40 years. Is there room for improvement? Oh, sure, of course, and we know her voice will change some as she matures....but what we are seeing and hearing right now is nothing short of phenomenal. Jackie has a stunning career ahead of her.....

I suspect that anyone who tunes into this PBS broadcast on their local station, someone unfamiliar with Jackie and curious about this little girl who is already earning a reputation for being an amazing singer will come away from this program a fan.....

Question for those who have made pledges. Will the CD or DVD or CD/DVD set be sent out to you immediately or will it not be shipped until around the same time the commercial album comes out in October? I am thinking that based on last year's scenario, the commercial album will be released and then a couple or three months later those who didn't make a contribution to their local PBS station will be able to buy the DVD or CD/DVD combo at a store or on Amazon. I have to admit that I had to keep reminding myself of this as I was watching the promos urging pledging "right now," that in a few months I could have the very same item for considerably less than $150.00. Somehow $18.00 seems more feasible to my pocketbook.....

This is just a class act all the way around: the setting -- the historic, beautiful Orpheum Theatre -- the stage set, the orchestra, the "guest" performers and of course, Jackie herself.... PBS has done a bang-up job here!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 7:52:03 PM PDT
When I plunked down my $$ to get both, they said four to six weeks. Meaning one gets it maybe a month or so before commercial release. Maybe there are some slight differences in the packaging, for collectors, but I'd expect the content to be similar. My impression is that the CD is like the DWMIC CD, from the live performance, and not the studio CD that's also on its way.

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 8:06:37 PM PDT
Clix Pix says:
Thanks, BOGC! Yes, that is my impression, too, that the CD will be the recording of the live concert performance as opposed to the studio recording, just as the DWMIC CD is. Earlier today I poked around to get a sense of the time frame last year between the release of the studio album and then the release of the CD/DVD set in stores/Amazon, and it was about three months. It is definitely worth having both the recording from the live performance and the studio album, as there are of course going to be differences. I have already preordered the studio album and when the CD/DVD set becomes available at stores/Amazon, I'll be picking that up, too. Last year I also downloaded the DWMIC video into my iTunes library on the computer so that I could easily also slip it into my iPad for viewing any time, anywhere....

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 10:34:18 PM PDT
Trick1 says:
Being from Wisconsin I am now a proud member of Atlanta GA PBS, PBA30 has the set for a $100 pledge
Milwaukee dropped the ball again, Last year I was a member of the Chicago area PBS.
https://secure.publicbroadcasting.net/pba30/default/form.pledgemain

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 10:59:23 PM PDT
papaw says:
Same here TR. I gave my contribution to WTTW in Chicago last year because KET dropped the ball as they are doing this year. I haven't decided where my support will go this year so far.

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 11:40:59 PM PDT
dragonslair says:
lol last year I was a member of wttw chicago but this year I most likely will become a member of PDTV detroit which is broadcasting at 8pm sunday 12 aug. My local wned buffalo dropped the ball again this year and is not broadcasting until 16 sept.

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 12:23:12 AM PDT
Ehkzu says:
re: boo boo

My spouse says Jackie flatted the end of one song in the latter half of the concert, then corrected herself. Anyone else hear that, and if so, which song?

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 1:40:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 12, 2012 3:48:24 PM PDT
magique says:
Re: PBS Orpheum Concert

The PBS production was an astonishing experience. Jackie is seen seated alone in a theater seat with cinematic overlays as the program begins. It's very imaginative, Jackie watching Jackie. She's in casual wear, even though once the program proper begins she has four costume changes. The Orpheum becomes a world within a world, a kind of magical womb for the spectacle which unfolds like a grand movie within its gilded expanses.

The song from "Cinema Paradiso" was my favorite; I definitely became emotional. I'd rate "I See the Light" duet w. big brother Jacob next (being both powerful and sweet) and "Music of the Night" next. Jackie held the MOTN final note a very very long time; I don't know how she could have done more--and this Phantom piece was so special to her. "Come What May" with The Tenors showed Jackie more than holding her own with three big, tall Tenors. But these are tough choices, as she sang everything so well, with such a strong, full voice and great elan and passion.

The Orpheum audience was vastly more appreciative than the rather sleepy audience at the Ringling Museum concert last year. There was also dramatically greater age diversity at the Orpheum. Jackie was far more composed, essentially hosting her own show, though she was entirely accessible and often funny. There were 3-4 interviews done with great simplicity and directness; they remind us she is regular kid Jackie as well as JackieSuperStar.

The many close-up shots of Jackie singing really pulled me into the drama of the event in a way that was almost mystifying. I'm surprised that I can even begin to write about it. It was simply...beyond.

ADD Edit: to render additional data as more have now seen this.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 6:02:34 AM PDT
Panda says:
It might have been an aural illusion. At the end of TMOTN the musical accompaniment did some chromatic movement which temporarily "clashed" with her note and the key of the song. But I did not notice her singing flat anywhere. I would imagine someone on location would have noticed and they would have done a retake. I have recorded the special on DVR and I can listen to any song at will again if someone has any idea where this might have occurred.

Doc

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 7:37:59 AM PDT
Considering that Jackie mentioned that a young Judy Garland performed on that very same stage, and then we see a picture of young Judy, wouldn't it have been wonderful if Jackie performed a Judy Garland classic? I was thinking "Over the Rainbow." The segue would have been perfect!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 8:18:17 AM PDT
I'm glad to hear everyone's enjoyed the broadcast so far - I still have a week before it shows in my area. It sounds like they've edited it together pretty much in the order it was recorded, too. Of course there WERE retakes - three of them: My Heart Will Go On, Music of the Night, and the duet from Tangled with Jacob - so I suspect whatever this was must be unnoticable to most, including the sound engineers. I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 12:15:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 12, 2012 12:16:16 PM PDT
Anthony Au says:
I really enjoyed the PBS' MOTM broadcast, but I have to say that it was better to experience the show taping live at the Orpheum. I watched the show on DVR and fast forwarded through most of the fluff except for the interviews with Jackie and members of the audience. I even saw a brief, somewhat blurred, shot of my sister and myself in the audience next to JEFC member Jerry Hunt during the end credits. I'll definitely buy the CD and the DVD when they're available.
Discussion locked

This discussion

Participants:  148
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jul 31, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 20 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Songs From The Silver Screen
Songs From The Silver Screen by Jackie Evancho (Audio CD - 2012)
4.7 out of 5 stars (639)