Customer Discussions > O Holy Night forum

Jackie Evancho National Origins/Heritage

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 41 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 5, 2010 6:27:39 PM PST
Not mandatory to know, but it could be fun speculation or fact finding.... Jackie has what mix of National Orgins or Heritage??
Evancho appears to be Ukranian,,,, those who followed Ivan... as is suggested by Ancestry.com... Also, a post somewhere stated that one of Jackie's Gandmothers was Slovakian (Mike E's mom?)
Slovakia is below Poland and to West of Ukraine.

Lisa E. has more olive complexion it seems.. is she Italian?
Seems like Jackie LOVES to and is so effective at expressing herself with her hands !!!!! (stereotype)
Can anybody add or correct anything here?

I know Lisa E could, if she were still reading posts here...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2010 7:14:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 6, 2010 7:39:27 AM PST
I've wondered that myself, googled the question, and found others have asked the very same question. Nobody has volunteered any information beyond what you have already discovered, but one post talked about there being past migrations in Eastern Europe so that you can't easily determine national origin simply by the last name. I think Ukraine, Slovakia, and Croatia would have the most Evancho's or Evanko's. Jackie of course is on Wikipedia already, but they haven't delved into that depth of personal information.

Her last name certainly won't hurt her reception in Eastern Europe, and there may already be some Facebook fans from there.

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 7:28:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 6, 2010 7:28:57 AM PST
And Richard S.
That is why I believe SONY should be making a MAJOR marketing effort in that region that appreciates her type of song... from Germany to Russia, to Armenia to Croatia to Switzerland.. and all countries within that loop Right now. They are also majority Christian, Catholic or Orthodox still or just non believing but appreciative of song, but O Holy Night and the Child prodigy aspect would go far there... like Viral, maybe... Needs the spark though... Wake Up SONY.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2010 11:47:24 AM PST
@RR
AGREE!!! Also, w/ her songs in Italian & Latin, she should be a natural in Italy. For that matter, classical is more popular over most of Europe, so the whole market, from Portugal to Siberia, should be a gold mine. The rest of the world might take longer, but it's still there for the pickings. Come on, Sony, do your job!!!

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 11:52:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2010 8:33:46 PM PST
S. Suppes says:
Jackie's Mom is German and Italian, and her Dad is Ukrainian and Slovak.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2010 12:24:10 PM PST
It appears we'll need further confirmation because of Mr. Suppes's (?) alleged proclivity for BS.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2010 12:35:40 PM PST
Richard J, I agree with you, Mr. Souppes can't stop his B.Sing, needs to shut up once and for all.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2010 12:47:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2010 3:51:37 PM PST
S. Suppes says:
Very understandable Richard, but this time the information is legitimate.

Posted on Dec 7, 2010 10:04:14 AM PST
Len Rogers says:
S. Suppes - you need to do more cleaning up - "Likes and Interests" on your FB page still has some clues

Posted on Dec 7, 2010 10:51:25 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 7, 2010 11:43:10 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 8, 2010 3:49:23 PM PST
Jacqueline the Great... otherwise knows as Jackie, Princess of the O Holy Night.... on her throne !!!

http://yfrog.com/h3aww0j

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2010 2:09:44 AM PST
E.A.MS. says:
You mean SLOVAK, there is no such nationality as slavik. Her father's mother is from Slovakia.

Posted on Dec 25, 2010 6:10:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2010 6:21:45 AM PST
@E.A.MS.
Actually, can see that Mr. Suppes ( I feel you are referring to his comment above re: East Slavic) DOES possess and freely ADMITS to some excessive BS, Fluff and out and out Obfuscation on these blogs and is quite easy to see as it surrounds certain correct points of fact/fact-based-speculation/fact yet to be revealed. It is intricate for sure. Too often though others will be apt to "throw the baby out with the bathwater", it seems, just to feel better about making some point of discovery regarding the obfuscation and then planting a flag upon the "conquered" as being nothing but. Funny though, even said baby (babies) has/have not been truly denied by any confirming force and without any counter-obfuscation. I am not talking of any specific item here, just that .... it is what it is. To take that common approach yields nothing but a false sense of pride in the so called conqueror or bystander in the mob... yet, from an investigators point of view, all that is found is ... how should I put this nicely... well, a bath pan that is sans dirty bath water, but also SANS BABY with their all or nothing approach. While I believe Dale Carnegie may more appreciate my mode of operation with any such "baby washer" in my quest for knowledge, even if said knowledge still resides within the murky bathwater, I feel he would advise me that there will always be others who may be blinded by such pride and deny said baby/nugget of information and toss it out the window... and also even ridicule one who continues to follow Dale's "guidelines" and not join the mob but continue the route used for "winning 'friends' "...although mob mentality is another way to "influence people", it is usually done to destroy fact as well as being a "take no prisoners" approach. Maybe the best way to approach all this is to just consider the FLUFF as being somewhat entertaining and keep your EARS/EYES remained in the OPEN position or debate/discuss as Dale might. Unfortunately some egoistic ones may not be able to resist and allow their SELF pride to both blind and deafen them. That is, although they believe the have "WON", they may have actually lost in reality.

Now to the Slavik (you stated), Slavic, Slovak thing... Actually, the point may have been an error or a correct generalization, not fluff, as it was stated by Suppes and although Slavic is NOT any existing Nationality today, it is a region/group that has an East and West (and South). And the East Slavic reference (more related to language and migration) may have been made to just refer to those peoples that more associate with the Ukraine/Russian/White Russian migration as opposed to the Czech, Slovak or Polish. I believe Slovakia does have a sizable mix of East Slavic along with the West Slavic as one approaches the Eastern Slovakia border. (the Southern Slavic seems not to be applicable in this discussion) No one has come forth to clarify this either. Also, I just skimmed back in this post, and I see no reference to the word slavik, which would be an error as the only terms that are correct are Slovak(ian) or Slavic,,, with a "c",,, as I do see exists as of this day on this thread. Errors aside, in all, none were incorrect here, just that Slovak is more definitive than Slavic although East Slavic is more definitive than that broader term and may STILL be correct There is no confirmation as to whether Mikes mom is of "Slovakian heritage" with East Slavic or West Slavic or other migration/language-root ties. I am no expert of it all as it is really an old messy mix. One could say that whole "region" is quite obfuscated to the casual onlooker. Just do not throw out the whole region due to the widespread murkiness there as that would just be a mistake.
I say all this only for the sake of clarification and I welcome any inputs here that are not attacking of others personally. I feel your's was a good post that stressed clarification about Grand-mom Evancho, even with the needed clarification. Heck, some assumed Spanish or Italian root to that name!!!! Just remember folks.. keep it fun and it is all good, unless you have a frail psyche. At the very least, seek the entertainment value in all you disagree with for your/my disagreement position is not necessarily correct either.

As an example, I believe Ehkzu practices this approach here, for the most part, or he may just simply click on "Ignore this customer" ... although that is also quite a deafening/blinding move but may be needed for one with a weak constitution or ability to debate with decorum.

Posted on Dec 25, 2010 8:05:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2010 8:40:14 PM PST
S. Suppes says:
You are correct E.A.MS., Mike's Mom's nationality is Slovak (therefore I have changed my original comment from "her Dad is Ukrainian and Slavic" to the more correct "her Dad is Ukrainian and Slovak"). She's from Slovakia, and is therefore considered to be of western Slavic ethnicity. Mike's Dad is from the Ukraine, and is therefore considered to be of eastern Slavic ethnicity, although his nationality is obviously Ukrainian.

Slavic would actually refer to the language that the native people of the region speak, NOT their nationalities.

By the way R. (Rick) Rackowski, the comment you posted just above this one was a VERY good explanation of the entire "situation!"

Posted on Dec 25, 2010 8:21:01 AM PST
@E.A.MS.

well, now that whole long post is moot as I see the error or point of contention you raised has been changed a few minutes ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2010 5:44:15 PM PST
It's nice to be able to modify a post, but it sure can make it difficult to figure out what people are responding to if you're trying to catch up on a thread. I think it's best to have a time limit on edits.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2010 6:19:04 PM PST
@Suppes
Actually, there is overlap of the Eastern Slavic and Western Slavic culture/language/heritage.... even in Slovakia. Most of this "blending" is on the Eastern quadrant of Slovakia though... the Russian influence is spread all around. That guy Mikael Zoldy who posts each day on FB would be able to say it better than I can. It would be nice if Mikes Mom or Dad would come and explain all this for the "interested fans". At the least, it could garner some National Pride by ROOTS for those fans.

Posted on Dec 30, 2010 11:06:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2010 11:08:02 AM PST
S. Suppes says:
There's really no major point of contention Richard. As I clearly stated in my earlier post, Lisa's parents are of German and Italian descent, and Mike's parents are of Ukrainian and Slovak descent (although I inadvertantly used the word "Slavic" which would or course refer to ethnicity, and not nationality). Still, R. (Rick) Rackowski is correct in his assertion that the mixing and blending in the "Slavic" region of Europe makes it almost impossible to differentiate between eastern slavic from western slavic peoples, which is why I also stated initially that Unkrainian and "Slavic" (and Slovak for that matter) are pretty much the same thing, ethnically speaking. The bottom line is that I was right, as usual, which yet again brings up the conundrum of me being an individual who knows an awful lot, for being a individaul who knows nothing! LMFAO!

Posted on May 29, 2011 11:20:31 AM PDT
Ukrainian is Ukrainian, Slovenian is Slovenian - don't put them in the same category, ethnically speaking, or not! If you do not know what you are saying - say nothing at all! With a name like Evancho she is definitely "Slavic" but for some reason her parents choose not to reveal it. Why? Who nows!

Posted on Jun 1, 2011 1:28:29 PM PDT
Jackie is American Period

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2011 3:42:48 PM PDT
helen says:
East Slovakia is Priashiw or Preshow depends who is writing it, I believe Andy Warhol was from this region as well and then from Pennsylvania as well. These people are usually Byzantine Rite Catholic and pray either is Church Slovonic or Ukrainian as far as I know, some refer to themselves as Ruthenians because they came to the USA prior to the political existence of Ukraine. All of these regions belonged to Austria prior to WWI. Where ever Jackie is from is secondary to the fact that she seems to be a lovely child in the USA who sings like an angel.

Posted on Jun 17, 2011 12:38:56 PM PDT
glad to know her background...she is an angel in her singing ability and brings much joy to all her fans...this young lady will be welcome in all the world....jackie, much success with Dream with Me and God Bless you...you are a credit to your family...and our Catholic Faith.... Rahoo !!!
Fr. Tom Ganley.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2011 7:21:21 AM PDT
Glenn Todd says:
My wife is Russian,and she says her last name is Ukraine. I suspected she had some Italian in her, I wonder if she speaks Italian, as I saw her sing a popular american song (not classical) in Italian ? As a former ametuer diver, I don't see how such a small body could have the Lung capacity to sing the way she does. I feel it is a Miracle from God. She said she loves God,and says the "Our Father" each night. I pray that she will be able to resest temptation, and stay with and be protected by our Lord Jesus.

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 1:53:23 PM PDT
Lisa has said she can sing in Italian but doesn't speak it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2011 6:20:41 PM PDT
Glen:
yur 100% spot on...Jackie is a great and gifted girl...im pulling for her to...Im entrusting her to Jesus in the Divine Mercy devotion and Our Blessed Mother...I Know that Mary is def watching over her and her family....
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  O Holy Night forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  41
Initial post:  Dec 5, 2010
Latest post:  2 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
O Holy Night
O Holy Night by Jackie Evancho (Audio CD - 2010)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (553)