Customer Discussions > Dream With Me forum

Jackie Evancho - general discussion #3

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 2, 2011 9:31:25 PM PDT
Since we're again approaching 10K on genl disc #2, i went ahead & started #3. Post with aplomb.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2011 6:48:11 AM PDT
Haydon says:
Frisco
Can't find a plomb. Will a plum be ok?

Posted on Sep 3, 2011 7:09:28 AM PDT
@Frisco.. Have you given your opinion or a review of Jackie's Dallas concert? Curious minds wanna know.......

Posted on Sep 3, 2011 7:43:39 AM PDT
J. Korns says:
Well if you are planning a Brady Bunch Variety TV show and you can't get a Plum, you'll have to recast...

Posted on Sep 3, 2011 1:14:06 PM PDT
D. Radel says:
Hi All!

Here is a neat article that talks about the upcoming line of dolls and merchandise Jackie Evancho will be releasing later this year.

http://infostarcelebrity.blogspot.com/2011/09/jackie-evancho-to-release-line-of-dolls.html

Posted on Sep 3, 2011 1:58:15 PM PDT
Chas says:
Frisco, are you back on-line at home? Have all the fried electronics been replaced yet?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2011 3:57:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 3, 2011 4:00:43 PM PDT
Trancas-

Fried, fried, fried. 2 TVs, desktop (screen & CPU), printer, 1 (window-mounted) air conditioner, 3 satellite (Direc) TV boxes, microwave, big fridge - all fried. One room with no power at all (my "office," of course). Still surveying the damage. The expensive surge protector worked (& is now itself dead), the cheap ones didn't. Only microwave has been replaced so far; using back-up small fridge. Internet/phone guy was here to replace both modems.

Back on line with laptop, though. Router works (!!!!??!!!!). Almost finished w/ "Dallas Report"!

3 days later, still on an emotional high from Jackie. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2011 4:40:37 PM PDT
M. Sims says:
"Almost finished w/ "Dallas Report"!"

Looking forward to it!

Posted on Sep 3, 2011 4:44:56 PM PDT
I've been looking forward to it since I first heard frisco was going to the concert!

Posted on Sep 3, 2011 5:00:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 3, 2011 5:17:54 PM PDT
If no one else wants to take up the challenge, I'll be happy to do so! This week I made the hour-and-a-half drive back to my old hometown, Dallas, for what I think was the "Event of the Season", if not the year, at the beautiful Meyerson. I've been here before over a dozen years ago for Beethoven, Brahms, and Tchaikovsky, but it took a certain 11-year-old girl to persuade me back, and I'm really glad I succumbed to the temptation!

As with her other appearances in this tour, the orchestra opened with a pair of overtures by Rossini and Strauss to "warm up" the somewhat restless and eagerly anticipating audience in the full house, which seats over 2000. When the opening bars of "Lovers" began, the audience's attention was rapt and ready for the appearance onstage of Jackie Evancho. She did not disappoint when she made her somewhat belated appearance, the applause slightly slowing her opening into the song. For the remainder of this half, she went through a half-dozen or more songs, and after each one was treated by the large group of fans sitting in the first few center rows to loud and prolonged standing ovations, the first of which evidently took her by surprise. Jackie responded to these wonderfully, smiling, giggling, bouncing, and performing her "double wave" before taking a big swig from her water bottle and then steeling herself for the next number. These sudden and complete changes of character from steady professional to giddy youngster were what made the greatest impression on me, obviously apart from her seemingly perfect performance.

That's NOT to say EVERYTHING was perfect, however; she is after all still a child and not yet used to this kind of performing. Most annoying to me was her concentration on the MICROPHONE, which may well have been set too low even for her. Unlike in the clips I've seen of her, she rarely looked up or out into the audience. And then there's the HAIR... Like SO many female "celebreties" ( Sarah Palin comes to mind! ), Jackie was either hidden by it, or pushing it away from her face. And what a face! Her obvious seriousness is greatly appreciated, but by screwing it up and tightly knitting her brows she at times seemed to be giving birth to more than just sound!

But what sound! At NO time did I hear a false note or anything dropped by either Jackie or the Dallas Symphony. Following the customary fifteen minute intermission, the previous pattern was repeated: the orchestra "warmed up" the audience with a Mozart overture and Strauss' Blue Danube Waltz before Jackie again made her appearance. I had mistakenly thought the program would be a "straight" rendition of her Dream With Me CD, but here in the second half she ventured into material from the Target "Special Edition" with Impossible Dream and A Time for Us, to my delight. Following Impossible Dream, the standing ovation was SO thunderous and prolonged, Jackie stumbled somewhat through a "Thank You" to the audience, and the orchestra went right into the nominal "encore", Pie Jesu. Though we tried our best there were no more encores, but instead at least four returns by Jackie to smile and wave to her adoring fans.

Posted on Sep 9, 2011 8:18:49 PM PDT
The Jackie genl disc #2 is up to 9932 posts now, so we'll need this one soon!
:) ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2011 8:15:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 11, 2011 8:18:51 PM PDT
Mrs. D says:
JN, I have been meaning to post this for the last week but I've been hesitant because I know what will follow. The mic. was too low. Jackie needs a class on mic. technique. She bumped the mic. several times, twice on "The Lord's Prayer". The plosives were bad at times and singing down on a low mic. tends to make the sound more throaty. She needs to buy the best mice she can afford and take it with here whereever she goes. I was there during the sound checks and it was a farce. When the conductor first announced Jackie you could hardly tell what he was saying from where I was sitting. They must have made an adjustment during imtermission because it got better. I'm not sure the sound system there is all it should be. The acoustics were great though and Jackie was wonderful.

Jackie might need a pilot's license too. I thought she was going to take off more than once while waving her arms during the standing ovations.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2011 9:02:39 PM PDT
I haven't seen issues myself (wasn't there, probably wouldn't know enough to recognize them anyway), but people have chipped teeth on microphones before now, so both sound quality and avoiding injury can be at issue.

Using one's own equipment...more consistent, one more thing to carry (two if you figure it's best to have a spare that's normally only taken out to test, and would be less likely to suffer hidden wear).

I've seen her use standing mics sometimes, and other times use wearable mics. Is there a major quality difference, or an expectation that one is more appropriate than the other, or does she have a preference? If it were me, I think I'd like a wearable mic better, because one would just adjust it to fit and be at the right distance, and then it would be no further distraction, while a standing mic would be one more thing to look at and work with, over and above glancing at the conductor, keeping some eye contact with the audience, etc.

Posted on Sep 11, 2011 9:27:02 PM PDT
Mrs. D says:
Jackie's beautiful voice is her trademark, why take the chance of working with something someone pulled out of a closet.

Posted on Sep 11, 2011 9:46:00 PM PDT
Sylvester88 says:
Is Jackie gone Platinum? according to CC.UK site profile page, Jackie is 3M+ on albums. Is this is true, wowow!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2011 10:59:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 11, 2011 11:00:13 PM PDT
M. Sims says:
Nope. CC has some very inaccurate info over there. Ive said that before but the Mod could care less. Disgraceful.

Posted on Sep 12, 2011 12:28:33 AM PDT
Panda says:
Snoberg says:
Theoretical thoughts on Producers
With Jackie pounding out a full Christmas Album in a couple weeks despite losing 5 songs, will top producers steer clear of her on boiler plate albums because they will not get as many billing hours?? I suppose the plus side would be a resume that says . . . produced Jackie Evancho's platinum album "Songs of <fill in blank> "
Don't know the full extent of a producers work but there must be some percentage of time spent with the artist like the, I would expect extensive, work Dfoz did on DWM.

Well Jackie might have tweeted that the Christmas album is done but it probably meant just her vocals. There will undoubtedly be more production tracks arranged and recorded. It's possible none of them were recorded yet. Jackie could have sung to a throw away track. That means what she sang to was just a piano track or possibly even a few synthesizer tracks imitating the basic orchestral arrangements. These accompanying tracks would be just for her to sing her songs and get out of the studio. Later these tracks would be replaced with all the instrumentation and vocals they need. And then there is the mix down process where all the levels, equalizing, compression, sound effects, etc takes place. So the producer's job is not over. A producer has to bring the album to completion as far as the studio side. That could mean anything from dealing with artists concerns , getting coffee, dealing with managers, working with A&R, comforting nervous and/or frustrated artists, working with recording engineers, hiring arrangers, etc. Therefore the producer is involved in all the processes up to and including the final mix down before production (the actual manufacturing of the CDs). So I'm sure even though Jackie's vocals were done fairly quickly trust me when I say the producer's job is not over by any means. So even if vocals were done quickly that doesn't mean the job is short on billable hours. Besides, maybe he got paid by the job not by the hours. If this Christmas CD involves extensive arranging and orchestration and background vocals it's going to be a lot of work. If Jackie were just singing to a guitar or piano accompaniment on this album it would be a totally different story.

I think Jackie is a quick study and she can probably record any album fairly quickly. But this Christmas album had songs she has heard and knows well for the most part. So this was extraordinarily easy for her I imagine. The next full CD will be the hardest and most important for her. It will likely be all songs that she's never sang before and probably isn't that familiar to her. And perhaps there will be some uncomfortable musical territory for her as Sony tries to make this CD more commercially successful than DWM. As a producer I'd expect a lot of billable hours on that next CD. And a few Grammys too.

Doc

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2011 12:36:44 AM PDT
Panda says:
The wearable mics simply do not have the quality of standard mics. Also as I stated in a previous post Jackie can't use microphone technique with a wearable mic. Actually it's called a headset microphone. Microphone technique involves pulling close or far away from the mic when you sing for certain effects.

Usually an artist can demand certain equipment be at a concert for them. That would be in the contract. I wonder what singers do in regard to mics though. If a mic is provided it would most likely be a used one. Who wants to sing with a microphone that others have used and spit on and breathed on and touched? I'd would carry my own or demand my favorite model be provided but that it be brand new.

Doc

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2011 5:54:50 AM PDT
Also, when Jackie was using headset mics, her breathing was more audible. Standing mics allow her to breathe further away.

Some of the problems you mentioned could be obviated if Jackie brought her own standing mic. ;)

Agree with your earlier points, but i still hope a track or two on the Christmas album has minimal instrumentation instead of the usual "orchestral wall of sound" we've heard so far (or at least for part of the track). The final a cappella line of line of Lovers, "your voice still echoes in my heart," is very powerful when Jackie sings it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2011 6:14:02 AM PDT
Panda says:
Good point about the breathing thing Frisco. Jackie takes more breathes than an adult singer because of her small ling capacity. The less an audience notices those breathes the better.

I love the orchestration on DWM for the most part. Was it over the top a little? Maybe on a few tracks. But certainly arranged very well. I did notice Nella Fantasia has a percussion part towards the end. It sounds like synthesized percussion. I am almost sure it is. I thought it was a bit too much for that song. Seemed out of place. I think orchestral percussion would have been more appropriate. It would be nice to hear some simple accompaniments on this Christmas CD.

Doc

Posted on Sep 12, 2011 6:25:30 AM PDT
Haydon says:
I don't know anything about microphones but I notice Jackie was using the headset mic for most of her appearances in the early part of this year inluding Houston, CFN, Boca, Toronto and the QVC promos.
Then, from her Today show appearance, June 13 onwards, she seems to have been using her own standalone mic on all her TV promos ... Fox and Friends, The View, The Talk, Leno, Piers Morgan. Looks like she also used it at Dallas, but not at Atlanta.
Although it's difficult to make a fair comparison because of the varying quality of YouTube videos, the sound from her standalone mic has been noticeably better than the headset mic IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2011 6:26:06 AM PDT
Snoberg says:
Thanks Doc - Very informative.

I hope the guy doesnt bury Jackie in all the orchestration though.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2011 6:36:20 AM PDT
Panda says:
Don't forget David Foster is somewhat known for his great and perhaps at times overly lavish productions. Rob Mounsey is producing the new CD. Should have a different feel.

Posted on Sep 12, 2011 6:41:13 AM PDT
pa1189 says:
Hopefully Jackie should be near the point where she can confidently ask for the microphone height to be right, even if it causes a short delay. Small things like that can spoil a concert. Notice how pianists very often adjust their seat before playing.

Posted on Sep 12, 2011 7:52:22 AM PDT
Len Rogers says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 400 Next ›
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Dream With Me forum
Participants:  149
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Sep 2, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 26 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dream With Me
Dream With Me by Jackie Evancho (Audio CD - 2011)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (748)