Customer Discussions > Dream With Me forum

Jackie Evancho - general discussion #4

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2012 5:06:25 PM PST
pa1189 says:
Thanks for the comment. The audio was worth restoring since it was such a good performance.
Yes, I have the BGT one as well, and I will upload that by a rather faster route hopefully.

Posted on Feb 26, 2012 5:21:21 PM PST
pa1189 says:
I'm trying a new site minus.com. I've uploaded the duet from Nokia again and it appears as if it downloads quite a lot faster, but there is a free account which offers full speed I believe.
http://min.us/mexIfJY3Y#1o

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2012 5:26:17 PM PST
Discover says:
Janet says: "they sing so well"

IMHO nobody is even in a distant second place.

The steamboat prop (it was an elaborate fake) "The Cotton Blossom" survived until 1995.

Back on topic,in your opinion,am I wrong to promote "Make Believe" as appropriate for Jackie and Josh?

Posted on Feb 26, 2012 5:57:45 PM PST
@J. Korns, LOL! ... well, I'll tell ya.. the wait was worth every min.. every hour of it... just spectacular!

Thanks pa!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2012 6:53:32 PM PST
Twain says:
@pa,

The Nessun Dorma download is gorgeous!!! Thank you very much.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2012 6:58:24 PM PST
@pa1199
rapidshare Nokia duet is fabulous.
Nessun Dorma rapidshare download failed right before completion. Drat

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2012 7:08:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2012 7:16:24 PM PST
@Discover
"Back on topic,in your opinion,am I wrong to promote "Make Believe" as appropriate for Jackie and Josh?"

above paygrade.

It certainly would be thrilling to listen to. And very different from the Grayson/Keel duet. KG took a long draft from the fountain of youth and her voice has a forever young and lyrically innocent quality that unlike Sarah Brightman's never became a mannerism. (To some degree because the vocal technique that she carried over from her classical training was as close to perfect as possible. And SB's was sketchy.) Unlike Grayson JE's voice has overtones of wisdom and loving care that mingle wonderfully with the bloom of youth.

Keel's baritone has a genuinely relaxed, masculine confidence that the contemporary music scene has just forgotten. He makes most contemporary baritones seem high-strung. Josh Page's tenor has a brave forward passionate assertion. When he and JE hit their high notes, I feel a jet of light is about to burst from right behind the tops of their noses.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2012 7:32:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2012 7:32:54 PM PST
Snoberg says:
@pa1189 Duet

Pa - Wow that was fast - thanks so much the duet is very very nice. THANKS

Posted on Feb 26, 2012 7:48:44 PM PST
pa1189 says:
If anyone still needs the ND from AGT, this site seems like it's running the download at about 15mins to complete.
And maybe even faster if you have the free account.
http://min.us/mi94HrcAV#1o

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2012 8:11:26 PM PST
@ pa1189
Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2012 8:18:49 PM PST
B. Deng says:
pa

Many thanks. It took me only a little over 5 minutes to download without signing up.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2012 8:27:03 PM PST
@pa: got the duet...wonderful, of course. Thanks!

Posted on Feb 26, 2012 8:37:14 PM PST
Sylvester88 says:
from Ian Jz @ Fresno:

As soon as Jackie started lovers a guy behind me said loudy "Jesus!" I was gonna turn around n tell him "no that's Jackie" but then I realized what he meant =)
6 minutes ago

Posted on Feb 26, 2012 9:01:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2012 9:22:17 PM PST
H-Camp says:
Re Make Believe from Showboat

Discover - yes, it is worth a chuckle! ;)

Very thin voices that sound shrill there. Maybe it's the sound, I don't know.

This is the original with input from Kern and Hammerstein. Old fashioned style...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyVvaUQUtpk

This is closer to what is should sound like. It's not something for Jackie, probably ever - it's written very operatically and the family doesn't allow changing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO0UHd4dgdM&feature=related#t=03m23s

Don't honestly remember the '51 version, but probably less operatic. Interesting info on Kern, Janet.

There's some discussion of Groban and Fleming singing this at their upcoming concert, but I don't know. Almost certain to sing the Porgy duet, depending on volume balance (if he can be heard).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2012 9:26:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2012 9:27:11 PM PST
@HC
"...It's not something for Jackie, probably ever..."

Oh, ye of little faith!
The way Jackie changes her vocal timbre at will, she'll be able to sing anything, whatever the part calls for. Just wait a FEW short years. We don't know yet whether she'll be able to produce the necessary volume (for projection), if that's what's required, but we should be optimistic. JMO!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2012 9:29:49 PM PST
H-Camp says:
Frisco,

I'm not saying she won't BE ABLE to sing it. It's just not the direction she appears to be heading, even slightly. So, this wouldn't fit. Not modern enough, for one thing, and also too operatic sounding for what she seems to be interested in. There are tons of duets that don't sound like they're written for Jackie's grandparents. ;) Frankly, to me, this duet seems far more dated than most Puccini, and there's a "forced" operatic-ness to it that is probably not appealing.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2012 9:40:35 PM PST
Blessed are they who have heard Jackie live. I have had the same perception about Jackie/second half but it seemed too subjective to share with others more knowledgeable than I. Printed and kept a Lincoln Center review by GEB 11-8-11 which confirms your thought: 'She begins singing "When You Wish Upon A Star", and you can tell instantly she brought her "A" game. The audience was hers for the rest of the evening.' This was the start of the second half of her concert. My sense of DWM at Sarasota was somewhere around the Streisand duet she went from superlative to astounding. Your observation confirms my belief Jackie will take us places audiences have never experienced, even more than she is now! It's like Scotty telling Kirk "she's at 93% of warp and fluctuating". The second half of her shows seems to be an emotional knock-out.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2012 9:44:14 PM PST
@HC
Evidently my tongue wasn't pushed far enough into my cheek in my last post. ;)
You're right, it does sound dated, but you never know, old songs can be readapted & made to sound totally fresh. :)

Posted on Feb 26, 2012 9:44:17 PM PST
pa1189 says:
As requested this is the performance of ND from BGT. I thought I had a better one than this. If I locate it I'll repost it.
http://min.us/mi94HrcAV#2o

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2012 9:44:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2012 9:53:56 PM PST
Discover says:
HC says: "Original version"

Had trouble finding the 51 version due to the way it is labeled.Listened to the two versions you picked,plus lots more. I actually did pick the first one I posted for you,do they regularly do that on the Hudson thing?

I think because people are skeptical about Jackie and Josh doing a love song duet, the title and lyrics are a friendly poke in the ribs that duets are all about pretending. Plus the song lyrics have always struck me as quite clever and cute.

I finally accidentally found the 51,have you listened to it? sounds a lot different than the two you picked, atleast to me. I posted the link separately.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2012 9:48:30 PM PST
H-Camp says:
Discover,

I'm sorry... I'm way behind in posts.... could you please post it again? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2012 9:53:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2012 9:56:36 PM PST
@pa
This one
http://min.us/mi94HrcAV#2o
just reloads the AGT ND for me. :(
With the troubles i've had today, though, who knows? The Prayer & the AGT ND downloaded fine, but this one just repeats the AGT version.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2012 9:54:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2012 9:58:14 PM PST
@HC
Make Believe sounds "forced" and affected when it's sung by Jerry Hadley. As it does when most professional opera singers sing it. Especially Hadley because the way he pronounced words was so artificial. And it will probably sound "forced" and affected if Groban and Fleming sing it.

But it didn't sound forced and affected when Keel and Grayson sang it. And it would sound completely natural and pure and thrilling if Jackie Evancho sings it.

Posted on Feb 26, 2012 9:54:57 PM PST
Discover says:
HC here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHID3eLy4N0&feature=endscreen&NR=1

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2012 9:57:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2012 10:00:40 PM PST
H-Camp says:
Thanks, Discover.

Janet, ... still sounds forced to me. I didn't mention "affected," but it does sound very old-fashioned to me in all versions. Sorry... just not a song for me....it just sounds, to me, like I'd hear it at a wedding of people over 60. Nothing wrong with that, but Jackie is modern. And honestly, Ava sounds like Snow White there. I love her - just not there.

:)

Yes, I think it's obvious how I dislike this song! LOL
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 400 Next ›
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Dream With Me forum
Participants:  128
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Feb 23, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dream With Me
Dream With Me by Jackie Evancho (Audio CD - 2011)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (684)