5.0 out of 5 stars finally, a book that my son can't put down
This is it! Being a mother and a teacher, I have always wished my son would be more interested in reading. Finally I have found a book that Evan is enjoying so much that I have ordered another book from this series before he has finished this one. Bravo Dan Gutman!
Published on July 6, 2001 by Susan Carney

3.0 out of 5 stars Jackie
Jackie & Me

By: Dan Gutman

N. Muttalib

P.2

The book Jackie & me is a great story by Dan Gutman it is about a boy names Joey who loves baseball and loves collecting baseball cards. But he has a unique ability to travel back in time using baseball cards. One day at school he gets assigned a project for researching about...
Published on March 27, 2006 by N. Muttalib

5.0 out of 5 stars finally, a book that my son can't put down, July 6, 2001
Susan Carney (w.winfield, ny United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jackie & Me (Baseball Card Adventures) (Paperback)
Although I haven't read Jackie and me, I feel like I have. My son has been saying quite frequently, "Hey, listen to this." The book presents the unfair treatment of African Americans in a way that involves the reader. Evan has been told many times about slavery, segregation, and civil rights. He understood the information, but,until now I think he felt no empathy for those who were treated so unfairly.
If you have a child who enjoys baseball--get this book. Dan Gutman, thank you so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Things I Loved About and Learned From This Book, July 24, 2009
This review is from: Jackie & Me (Baseball Card Adventures) (Paperback)
The book Jackie & Me puts historical fiction with fantasy to make a fantastic story. The story begins and ends in Louisville, KY in modern times. However, most of it takes place in Brooklyn, NY in 1947, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier. Obviously, the historical fiction part of the book is in Brooklyn on the baseball field. The fantasy part of the book is where Joe, a 13 year old boy who loves sports, (and like many of us tries to get sports into schoolwork) time travels by holding a baseball card from the year he wants to visit. After going back in time, Joe meets Jackie, who teaches him self-control. However, he also meets a not so nice batboy named Ant, who shows Joe what it feels like to be discriminated against.

Overall, I wouldn't change a word in this book. There were several characters in this book like Ant, Dixie Walker, and the racist fans, who showed me how life was for Black people in 1947. Reading about these situations not only made me think about how horrible it was for Black people, but also how difficult it was for the White people who tried to be their friends like Pee Wee Reese. When I saw the picture of the real note that was given to Jackie telling him that he would be killed if he crossed the foul line in the next game, I wished I could travel back in time and fix what was going on. The part that was most surprising was when Joe changed into an African-American when he traveled back in time. That experience really helped Joe understand what it was like to be Black in the `40s. One last upside to the book is that I learned how to hit a curveball!

5.0 out of 5 stars A hit!, May 19, 2000
twilliam (Williamsburg, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jackie & Me (Baseball Card Adventures) (Paperback)
Following up on his successful Honus & Me, Gutman has brought back time traveling Joe Stoshack. This time, he goes back to 1947 to meet Jackie Robinson-and when he arrives, Joe is an African American kid. Gutman uses this plot technique to show the reader the kinds of prejudice Robinson endured. In turn, Robinson teaches Joe, through example, that no one can make you feel inferior without your permission. The story is simple yet rewarding, a good bet for a reluctant reader who loves baseball or collects sports cards.
The continuation of a series that is hitting .400

5.0 out of 5 stars Great combination of baseball fantasy and history, February 9, 1999
By A Customer
With Jackie and Me, Dan Gutman has improved upon the idea he started with Honus and Me. Joe Stoshack is still travelling through time via baseball cards, but for this book he experiences one of the great events of the 20th Century: Jackie Robinson breaking the baseball color barrier. Gutman also presents Robinson as a great role model for Joe and real kids like him who have trouble understanding that real strength is often shown through the ability to ignore ignorance, or by confronting it with talent and truth instead of fists.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Story for Boys and Girls, April 5, 2009
This review is from: Jackie & Me (Baseball Card Adventures) (Paperback)
I have two sports-minded daughters and it's often a challenge to find books with a sports theme that they can relate two. This book is excellent. Both my girls loved it. The traveling back in time tool was a great idea by Gutman. It captured my kids' imaginations -- and they learned some cultural history through a sports theme. Bravo! For others with sports-minded daughters, I'd recommend Sara's Big Challenge by Ken Reed. It has a great theme about the importance of being true to yourself. Actually, I think boys would enjoy the basketball-based story as well. Sara's Big Challenge: Who's the Real Me? A Sara Thompson Sports Book

5.0 out of 5 stars Jackie & Me, December 18, 2006
This review is from: Jackie & Me (Baseball Card Adventures) (Paperback)
I liked the book Jackie & Me because I love baseball and I am a Jackie Robinson fan. This book wasn't just about baseball, it was about how Jackie Robinson was a great example of character and belief in himself. I learned it wasn't easy being black in 1940, and Jackie overcame great odds by becoming the first black player in the Major Leagues. He was treated with disrespect by his teammates, other teams and the fans, but he never reacted in anger. He proved himself by showing what a great player he was.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jackie & Me, December 6, 2006
This review is from: Jackie & Me (Baseball Card Adventures) (Paperback)
Jackie & Me is about a boy named Joe Stoshack who can use baseball cards to travel through time! So, he goes on a adventure to get information on a black baseball player. Who is Jackie Robinson, the first black baseball player! Now he needs the imformation for his Black history Month report. Also how is he going to get the card to travel back through time? Find out in this great book by Dan Gutman Jackie & Me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Breaking the Barrier, June 5, 2006
This review is from: Jackie & Me (Baseball Card Adventures) (Paperback)
Jackie & Me by Dan Gutman is a very good book. It tells the story of a kid, Joe Stoshack, who can use baseball cards to travel through time. One day, Joe decides he wants to go back to 1947 when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in major league baseball. He wants to know what it was like for Jackie and his family to go through this hard time of racism and prejudice. But little does Joe know he going to learn, first hand, what its like to be a black person in the 1940s. He goes through the tough times of people calling him nasty racial slurs, to people who could care less if he was black or white, to being chased by a crazy kid with a bat through the busy streets of Brooklyn. Learn what happens to Joe and Jackie in this great and exilarting book: Jackie & Me.

5.0 out of 5 stars wowza, a great book, March 8, 2005
This review is from: Jackie & Me (Baseball Card Adventures) (Paperback)
Would you like to travel back in time to meet Jackie Robinson, to 1947, to a time when segregation was ending? Read the book Jackie and Me to find out. Josh traveled back in time and became a black. He had to feel how blacks were treated. Everyone treated him differently. He had to lie that he was the new batboy in order to meet Jackie Robinson, to get facts for his report. He lost the baseball card that would get him back to present time. Can he get back? You can find out about American history baseball style by reading Jackie and Me. I rate this book Jackie and Me five out of five stars for its history, the biography on Jackie Robinson, and its teaching about blacks and segregation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jackie and Me, January 3, 2005
Jackie And Me

The book is about a kid names Joe Stoshack. He has a book report in school and he does it on Jackie Robinson. So he goes back in time and learns about him and how they use to treat him because of his color. He gets back from the past and he gets a A on his report.

Joe can travel through time by using baseball cards. He traveled to the past to get information from Jackie Robinson. He got there and stayed at the Robinson house for a couple of days. He finds a lot of cards that were from 1947. He takes them all home and gets a lot of money from them. Me and Joe both love baseball a lot. We are different because he can travel through time and i can't.

I really liked this book. I liked it because it was about baseball. My favorite part was when he got to stay at Jackie Robinson's house. I would recommend this book to someone that loved baseball.

Jackie & Me (Baseball Card Adventures)
Jackie & Me (Baseball Card Adventures) by Dan Gutman (Paperback - February 2, 2000)
$5.99 $5.39