Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on January 29, 2003
Whoever coined the proverb, "a picture is worth a thousand words" could have been talking about Jack's Garden by Henry Cole.
This book is an excellent illustration of how, step by step, a garden is planted and what the seeds and living creatures do from that point on. We get to see above and below the soil as the garden progresses throughout the season. There are all the names of the plants and creatures labelled neatly next to each, on the main page and in the margins. Best of all, the classic children's poem about the house that Jack built is modified into a catchy text for each picture that makes understanding the magic of a little garden ecosystem effortless for kids as young as three years.
Top notch illustrations and a unique format set this picture book apart and earned it a permanent place in my collection. I only wish I had it in hardback!
on April 12, 1999
I'll share the review I wrote for The Home School Manual =======
Jack's Garden "This is the garden that Jack planted." The first double-spread illustration with these words shows Jack on the bare ground. Next, "This is the soil that made up the garden that Jack planted" and an underground picture of various creatures. The story repeats on each page spread adding a new line. This book is a winner. Excellent for reading practice and excellent for science with all the insects, birds, plants and so on illustrated and named.
on April 23, 2003
This book is outstanding! Far from being for just the pre-school/younger elementary set, it has a wealth of information which even older kids can benefit from. In addition to the text based on the House That Jack Built, it has labeled drawings of garden tools, insects in the soil, seeds, clouds,parts of plants, plants, butterflies, birds, and other insects. We (my kids ages 4 thru 10 and I) had fun pointing out the things we know and learning the ones we didn't. The illustrations are excellent- colorful and detailed. This book is a wonderful addition to homeschool unit studies on plants.
on December 7, 2001
I wish this book had been available for me when I was a young child. I'm delighted to be able to give it to my son, age 3. This book shows so many things to be found in a garden - from the first scene where Jack stands shovel in hand in an empty garden through the final page where Jack is surrounded by the beautiful outcome of his work to grow a beautiful garden. Along the way we learn the names of so many creatures and gardening items and see how a garden grows. Buy this book. It's a jewel.
on August 19, 2015
"This is the garden that Jack planted" is the start of the book and on each page another line is added to the run on sentence until you reach a sentence that is 51 words long.... I found the text therefore uninteresting, unimaginative, and at times an awkward tongue twister. However, I enjoyed the artwork though at times needing a bit more contrast. I loved how everything was labeled. I liked that you could use this to teach the life cycle of plants and their needs... as well as food chains. I just wish the text lived up to the rest of the book.
on November 7, 2008
This book is a wonderful gift for young gardeners or gardeners-to-be! The illustrations are gorgeous and detailed and an inspiration to all to get out in the garden and have a great time. Along with "Too Many Zucchini for Zachary Beany," I'd place it among my favorites for teaching love of gardening.
on November 14, 2014
this book has wonderful illustrations and a great variety of plants, insects, and environmental factors that make up a garden. kids The kids love this book. the reading level is also good for a 1st grade level reader. it has a repetitive sentence formation upon which they build the story.
on January 6, 2015
Lovely book. Illustration are delightful. A perfect gift or read with a young mind curious about growing things and our role in being contributors to the earth. Henry Cole is as always, provides a precious perspective on humanity and the planet.
on February 28, 2008
Jack's Garden by Henry Cole is a wonderful book about a young boy's flower garden and how it grows throughout the year. I read it each spring to my story hour children, and then we all plant sunflower seeds. As the seeds begin to grow into plants, we re-read the book and talk about what's happening. This book's beautiful illustrations do the best job I've ever seen of showing how the garden and its flowers develop through each stage from bare earth and tiny seeds to seedlings, young plants, buds, and finally blooming flowers. Extra drawings and labels in the margins identify garden tools, parts of a plant, types of seeds, insects, birds & bird eggs, and other wonderful tidbits. The cumulative text (think of "The House that Jack Built") builds up the idea of the garden developing and growing one stage at a time. I consider this one of Henry Cole's finest picture books, and that's saying a lot!
on January 3, 2014
My kids love to garden and we read this year round. They especially like that it repeats verses, so even at 4 & 5 they can help "read" the story. This is actually our second copy, we wore out the one we bought used.