4.0 out of 5 stars The son of (a) god
Published on August 30, 2011 by E. A Solinas

Published on December 7, 2009 by Spiritdancer

4.0 out of 5 stars The son of (a) god, August 30, 2011
If you know anything about Greek mythology, you'll know that their gods had a tendency to produce demigod kids by the dozen. And the "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" series is all about a boy who discovers that he's the offspring of a god, and the other demi-god kids that he gets to know at a very, very special camp. Rick Riordan spins a clever fast-moving adventure that mines ancient mythology and gives it a modern spin.

Percy Jackson has always been a troublemaker, but he's shocked when some truly strange things begin to happen in his life. After a minotaur attack, he learns that he's at a special training camp called Camp Half-Blood intended for demi-god children, and that his best friend Grover is actually a satyr bodyguard. Though Percy is understandably resistant to the idea, he soon makes friends in the sharp Annabeth and the bitter Luke (and enemies with the kids from Cabin Ares).

Oh yes, and he finds that he's the son of the god Poseidon... which is a problem since the "Big Three" gods have sworn an oath not to father any more kids, due to a rather ominous prophecy.

As a result, Percy finds himself in the middle of some epic cosmic battles -- he must recover Zeus' master lightning bolt before the world is thrown into chaos; he must venture into the Sea of Monsters to get Grover and the Golden Fleece; clash with the Titan Atlas; embark on a journey into the legendary Cretan Labyrinth to save the camp; and finally battles against Lord Kronos to save Olympus.

The Percy Jackson series is all a little Harry Potter in concept -- ordinary kid discovers he has magical powers, and is taught in a specialized school/camp while fighting against the forces of evil. Rick Riordan spends the first half of "The Lightning Thief" exploring the whole idea of Camp Half-Blood and the demi-god kids -- but after that, the series pretty much flows quickly to the slam-bang end.

Riordan has a snappy fast-moving style, and he peppers the story with plenty of plot twists and monstrous action. And he has quite a sharp-edged sense of humor -- the snarkiness is a bit annoying in the first chapter, but after that he produces some fun dialogue ("With great power... comes great need to take a nap"). And he does a good job with the concept of gods and monster surviving over the center of the western world, as well as spoking some fun at the gods' behavior.

I found Percy rather annoying in the first couple chapters, but Riordan slowly evolves him from a rather bratty, rebellious kid to a reluctant budding hero who will take on literally anything to keep his loved ones safe. Annabeth is an excellent counterpart to Percy, smart and measured if rather haughty in attitude, as well as the timid Grover, embittered Luke, punky Thalia and moody Nico. And the gods are portrayed in a rather clever, tongue-in-cheek way.

It has a couple slow spots, but Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Olympians series is a solid, fast-moving little fantasy series, with likable characters and plenty of wit.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST BOOK SERIES EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!, December 14, 2011
A Kid's Review
I am ten and i love this series! Its my first favorite series! It is really interesting and exiting, unlike some of the other books i have read. I promise if you are a good reader and love books that are fun and exiting you will love this series! I have read this series 3 times (and my friend read it 28 times! no kidding!) I am planing on reading the series again sometime soon.

The series is mostly about a kid named Percy Jackson.(Ill try not to spoil it.) He finds out he is half Greek god. He goes to a place called Camp Half Blood and meets a girl named Annabeth. He also has a friend named Grover. They meet more half bloods and go on quests and fight Greek monsters. They adventure in lots of states in the the U.S, (including Los Vegas.)

If you know a lot about Greek mythology then you will understand these books more.
If you dont know much about Greek mythology then you will learn a lot about the greek gods and monsters and other interesting things.

PS: If you really like this book, or you think you will really like it, get The Red Pyramid and The Throne of Fire. They are by the same author of this series. They are alike this series but it is based on Egyptian gods instead of Greek gods. I have read both The Red Pyramid and The Throne of Fire. They will make more books. (Also read The Heros of Olympus which is an add on to this series. More are comming out.)

I would highly recomend this book to any kid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome gift!, November 17, 2009
I bought this for my 10 yr olds birthday. He loved it. And I loved the price. What a bargain, compared to what you pay at the book store for just 2 hard cover books, I got all five with a great keepsake box. My son loved the secret compartment in the bottom of the box. Recieved in the time it said it would!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Treasure Chest Damaged but Series Great, December 17, 2009
I'm 25 years old and I've never been so enthralled by a children's series in my life. The books have so much action, you won't be able to put it down. The author's decision to make it a first person narrative was a brillant idea, as you are able to get a feel for Percy's personality and get emotionally involved with what he's going through. Incorporating Greek mythology into the story is a great way to sneak in some history and teach kids. They won't even realize they're learning. Looking forward to the movie as well. I suggest everyone read the books!!!!

P.S.- Be careful with Amazon. I've never had a problem with my orders from them, but they sent me the chest and it was all ripped up and severely damaged. But you can't beat the price. You're practically paying for 2 books and receiving 5. So I might just keep the books and get rid of the box. Damn shame, because it's a collectible. Beware. I'm not the only one who this has happened to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Set arrived in pristine condition, February 2, 2010
Lorene Shaw (Marietta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
I ordered the set for my son despite the multiple reviews about the box arriving damaged. Just wanted to let potential buyers know that Amazon appears to have corrected this issue. My boxed set was placed covered in bubble wrap, placed in a small box, labeled with a sticker stating "ready for shipment," and then placed in a larger box.

As far as the book goes, my 8 year old son (who is not a voracious reader) loves the series and is looking forward to the movie. Big time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great boxed set!, October 10, 2011
My daughter read all of these and decided they were definitely keepers, so we waited until the last book came out in paperback and found this terrific boxed set. I love the boxed sets since they keep the books so nicely while they're not being read. The price was great and she's happy to have them on her bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars my son started to enjoy reading, October 7, 2011
My son is in 3rd grade and 8 years old. He started to read these series and is enjoying them. I am glad they are interesting,
which is motivating him to develop the habit of reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Series, April 28, 2011
Even if you haven't read it, I'm sure you heard of it. Whether you hear it from a family member or a co-worker or you just saw the movie. (Which wasn't that good by the way) Now it's time for me to get started.

Percy Jackson & the Olympians is a solid, five part series. It brings Greek myths and gods to life, and shows you the unique way of Greek life. The myths and stuff definitely entertain you.

The Lightning Thief (2005) Is the first in the series. It's 375 pages of mixed action, mystery, and adventure. It blends those beautifully. Percy Jackson (The series main character) has to test his limits in the end of this one by fighting a god! The Lightning Thief starts off the five part series. All in all, it's a solid first book.

The Sea of Monsters (2006) Is much shorter than it's predecessor, being 279 pages it is actually the shortest in the series. The sequel to The Lightning Thief introduces several more characters such as Tyson. They also have to find old ones.... This one ends on a cliffhanger that will change the main characters lives, forever!

The Titan's Curse (2007) Is the third adventure in the series. It has 312 pages in it, so it was longer than the second novel. It resolves the second book's cliffhanger. It introduces two new half bloods and Thalia makes a decision in the end that changes her life forever. In this book, sadly, two of the characters doesn't make it to the end.... alive.

The Battle of the Labyrinth (2008) The fourth novel in the series is packed with 361 pages of action. In this one Percy and his friends travel into Daedalus's Labyrinth to stop an army from destroying their beloved Camp Half Blood. Along the way Grover gets closer to discovering were Pan (The nature god) is. Percy also has to stop the Titan lord Kronos (The series's antagonist) from coming back to life. This one also ends on a cliffhanger, and sets up the storyline for the fifth, and final novel.

The Last Olympian (2009) Is 381 pages of pure battle! It's very warlike as Percy has to stop the Titan Lord Kronos from making it to Olympus, and destroying it. The hard part: The Gods aren't there to help them. In this stunning fifth and final novel, the half bloods try to save the gods from being destroyed, and try to prevent the reign of the Titans. In the end, the true hero is revealed. The one that saves Olympus. But in order to save the Gods, the hero must sacrifice his life. This one may make you cry in the end.

All in all, I thought this book series was pretty good. Rick Riordan (The author) also released a book not covered in my review entitled: Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Demigod Files. It contains three short stories and interviews with characters.

In short, this is a really good book series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Percy Jackson -- full of adventure!, January 30, 2010
D. Sexton (Wisconsin, USA) - See all my reviews
This product is great! I was skeptical when my 19 year old asked for this series of books. He's a college student and I thought, "What?" So I bought them in the bound series (he prefers hardcopy). I decided to read the series too (I'm 40), I enjoyed "Harry" I should enjoy this right? Absolutely!! This is a great series. I was able to read a book every few days and I have thoroughly enjoyed them. I am on Book 4 and my son is on Book 5 (which he took back to college with him). Great series, nice compact packaging. If you're looking for an adventure just open the treasure box....

3.0 out of 5 stars The Book Set is great, the treasure chest container damaged in shipping twice., December 7, 2009
We purchased the book set for our son for Christmas. The first set was sent back because the "treasure chest" carton was torn in several places, even though the shipping container appeared undamaged. The replacement "treasure chest" was in even worse shape, even though the second shipping container appeared undamaged. Rather than fuss with shipping it back again, we purchased a wooden "treasure chest" from a world market to place the book set in. We're satisfied now and the books look even nicer stored in the wooden chest.

Rate and Discover Movies