5.0 out of 5 stars Created and addiction
Published on August 28, 2009 by Pooped Out Mommy

3.0 out of 5 stars Only made 5 shirts
This kit is great except it doesn't have enough dye for larger shirts. It only made 5 shirts and a pair of socks for me, and that was going lightly on the dye. Maybe it makes 10-15 children's shirts, but by no means makes 10-15 extra large adult shirts.
Published on August 22, 2011 by WMS

5.0 out of 5 stars Created and addiction, August 28, 2009
We purchased this kit about 4 years ago and have now tie dyed hundreds of shirts, and taught virtually every kid in the neighborhood how to. The dyes are very permanent (not like supermarket dye), and the bottles are durable and can be used over and over. Someone else complained that there is not enough soda ash to complete multiple jobs... You can always use Arm & Hammer washing soda, and this can be purchased in the laundry isle at the supermarket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jaquard Tie Dye Kit, June 27, 2009
This product is the best tie dye kit I've used! The color stays vibrant, my kid's made t-shirts over a year ago and the color looks new! You can also wash the shirts with the regular laundry and not worry the other clothes will become tie dye too! The squeeze bottles for the dye are a great way to help control the application of color. This is the kit I will continue to use for tie dye.

5.0 out of 5 stars A blast from the bast for kids of all ages!, September 12, 2009
You do around 15 adult size shirts out of this kit. My friends and their kids visited and I thought this would be a great summer activity. It was. The kids and adults had fun and the shirts came out great.

Although their are written instructions, you will need to watch the video to get the details. Be sure to watch it in advance. You don't want to be starting, with everyone's energy level high with excitement... and then have to watch the video. Everyone does not need to watch it. I was the only one who watched it (a couple days in advance) and was able to easily guide everyone.

Make sure you do inject dye into the creases of the rubber banded shirts. Otherwise you will have too much white space. One last recommendation: rubber bands are included, but by a whole bunch of different colored rubber bands so you can remember whose shirt is whose (or belongs to what family). When you let them sit and then wash them, they get all grouped together and mixed up.

Great kit and I've ordered two more. This is a new fourth of July tradition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Work But Worth it!, July 9, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Jacquard Tie Dye Kit (Toy)
I Tie Dyed a Bunch of Baby Clothes while I was 9 Months Pregnant. It's a lot of work. Prep took about an 2 hours, including washing, tying and then soaking in Soda Ash. The dying took about 3-4 hours! Then I left them for 24 hours, and then rinsing took a little over an hour! But the results are very much worth it. This kit is great! First time I ever tie dyed and I would buy this kit again.

Tips from my experience: The gloves included in the kit SUCK so get some of your own. I used medical gloves. Also I needed extra rubber bands. Make sure all the powder is tapped out of the nozzle/lid part before mixing with water. It can get clotty up in the narrow part. The Red bottle I had was either clogged with powder despite how much I shook and mixed it, or the hole just wasn't big enough and the dye squirted out very slow, good for conserving dye but time consuming waiting on it. Toward the end of my project I snipped the top to finish what I was doing in a hurry.

Get multiple colored rubber bands to distinguish between the tied garments. Once they are all tied up you can't tell the different sizes or sometimes even the patterns you chose. If you don't want any white, you don't have to tie, just freehand to create gradient coverage or your own specific designs. That's how I did the baby socks.

Make sure to squirt down into the creases and folds so you don't have too much white. You Can give the cloth a squeeze to distribute the dye and soak more fabric if you like.

For Baby clothes, using paper towels under each garment worked really well. But the garments are small. I went thru an entire roll but it prevented puddles and dye where I did not want it. I also have heard of using spare old towels, or a cooling/oven-type rack to keep your work up off the puddles. Do your research.

I did 10 Onesies, 3 Shirts, 3 Pairs of Socks, a Sleeper, and A Flannel Pillow Case with this kit.

When Rinsing, have washing machine ready and pre-filled. Put each rinsed item straight into washer, DO NOT Put all the garments in one laundry basket or container to transport to washer when you're all Done. Don't make my mistake. Even when the water runs clear, placing one wet garment on top of another causes the dye to rub off on each other. Luckily I caught it and re-rinsed and it came out just fine! It probably would have washed out but I didn't want to chance my Fire Colored Garments having an odd spot of Blue-Green on it and so forth...

5.0 out of 5 stars My 4 year old and I had a great time using this kit=), March 21, 2010
I purchased this kit because it uses the procion dyes, unlike most of the other kits you see. The colors come out much brighter and stay that way with these dyes. I did get some larger rubberbands and a sheet of plastic(like for painting) at the dollar store. I just felt I needed those things, but you can absolutely get by with just what's in the box and whatever you want to tie-dye. I spread out the plastic and weighted the corners down to keep it from blowing up and there was no mess to clean up. I did this on my back porch with my 4yo son and we had a blast. We used the method where you put a fork in the middle of the shirt and twist then rubberband it. He was so excited to see how they came out. I just rolled the plastic up and threw it away, when we were finished. I used saran wrap to wrap my shirts in over night, but I've seen others use plastic shopping bags and just tie them up. That looks to be much more convenient, so I'll definitely try that instead next time I tie-dye. The plastic bottles included in this kit look to be very durable and good for many projects. I'm thinking about just buying the procion dyes and soda ash in a larger quantity, now that I have the basic supplies from the kit. This is definitely the best kit I've seen out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure fun and great shirts to boot!, October 9, 2012
Annette Hurst (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jacquard Tie Dye Kit (Toy)
I suggested and my daughter agreed that we would choose tie-dye as the craft for her 8th birthday sleepover. This kit fit the bill perfectly. The video is great -- we put the white t-shirts to soak and the girls watched the techniques. Then we all went out on the deck, put on garbage bags as smocks and some gloves, and started dying. There were very well able to remember and follow the techniques with a bit of adult help tying the rubber bands. Of course the dye squirting was pure fun. We purchased an extra kit so there would be 2 of each color to go around and no one got too impatient.

Before we started I had each child (including brother who joined in the fun) write his or her name on a gallon size ziploc bag. At the end we put each shirt in the bag and I let them sit in the laundry room over night. I got up at my usual early hour (about 12 hours after the dying), rinsed them all out, and put them in the washer and dryer. All six girls lined up in their new shirts and we got a party picture before they left.

This was a great activity, and I love my tie-dye shirt too. I wear it at least once a week.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic product!!, March 29, 2010
We just purchased and used this Tye Dye kit for a birthday party (for 7 year olds). It was wonderful in every way! Easy to follow printed instructions. Very helpful DVD. Very well packaged (making the whole project easy). And BEAUTIFUL quality dyes, even after machine washing! I would HIGHLY recommend this Tye Dye kit to anyone wanting to make their own Tye Dye things!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 25 Year Tie Dyer Reviews This Kit, June 27, 2014
This review is from: Jacquard Tie Dye Kit (Toy)
Why did I buy this. I bought it for the bottles. They are the best I have ever used. So I payed $5 each for $1 bottles but these do not leak. A single drop of dye 2 inches from the spout is a nightmare.

The kit comes with a video which I can not comment on because I will never watch it, but I've got two of them. The kit says you can dye about 15 shirts with it but I could not. The rubber bands are too small for spirals. You only get one pair of gloves. Living skin dyes but not well, dead skin dyes well. Synthetic clothes do not dye so you know how to dress them.

You get primary colors but only one mixing bottle so only one secondary color. So maybe make it the kids favorite. But you can mix the colors on the shirt.

Tips for the colors. Yellow disappears on the shirt so make the dyed section oversized. Orange is aggressive and overruns it's neighbors so make it smaller. Turquoise is hard to mix so shake a lot to avoid clumps. If you dye in the order of the rainbow it will look nice and mix well with it's neighbors.

red orange yellow green blue purple

This is THE best dye for tie dyes. It bonds at a molecular level. Once the excess dye between the fibers is washed out the dye will never fad. FYI it is most commonly marketed as Procion MX. Three colors can be theoretically be mixed to make all colors. There's something about additive and subtractive colors that explains it but isn't really important. It doesn't work with dyes. It takes 11 colors but you can buy over a hundred premixed.

You will not get professional results, there are too many steps and processes missing that professionals do and it is a skill. But I don't think that's the point. The shirt can be good enough for the kid to be proud of. This can be a fun introduction to fiber arts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised, January 30, 2009
I purchased this kit for the first time more than 10 years ago. That speaks to the brand quality. They haven't even changed their packaging. I would have given 3.5 stars if I could, because while there may be sufficient powdered dye for several adult t-shirts, there is not sufficient soda ash and dye fixer for multiple tie dye sessions. It's a one shot deal.

That said, I still have the tie dye shirts that I made with this kit all those years ago. We made 3 shirts in all. One didn't turn out that great because of operator trouble. The other two look awesome and the colors are still pretty nice after all this time. We've been asked where we got our shirts before.

I'll be purchasing this kit again, to make shirts with my kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality fun!, September 19, 2011
This review is from: Jacquard Tie Dye Kit (Toy)
I purchased this for my daughter's birthday party. We had an "art" theme party and had stations set up for sand art, spin art, and tie dye. I haven't Tie Dyed anything since I was a kid in camp and this kit made it so simple and easy. We tied the shirts the night before and I prepped them in the soda ash before the kids arrived so all they had to do was pick a size, put on some gloves,and get to coloring. We had a total of 15 kid shirts - 5 small (6-8) 5 medium (10-12) and 5 large (14-16) and this kit was exactly enough to die ALL 15 shirts. The designs turned out awesome and the dye set perfectly. I've washed the shirts with other clothes (after the initial rinsing and washing alone) and the dye did not run or transfer to other garments. It was a huge hit at the party and I would definitely purchase again!

Jacquard Tie Dye Kit