Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Baby Sale

on September 16, 2011
Am I utterly clueless? I assumed that the Kennedy interviews on tape would be what I would hear. Instead, a disembodied voice, sounding very digitally generated, is reading the words Jackie has spoken on tape..Why aren't I listening to the original tapes? It is a stunning let down. I would happily have paid more for the goods.

I have called Kindle and they were quick to cancel my Kindle edition of this book. I found that the only way to get the original tapes was to buy the hard copy, which at about $33 is a good deal. However, one reason i treasure my Kindle so much is because at 82, I almost always need to enlarge the print and I am sure the hard copy will be too difficult to read. But, I WILL have the tapes, the originals, so that's a trade-off I'm willing to make.
In this age of high tech, I do not understand why Kindle isn't able to do this directly, with no hard copy involved, with, of course, an increase in the Kindle price. So, in spite of the excellent service I received, and as much as i would like to, i can't improve on the three star rating I gave this Kindle book in the first place. It simply falls short, for whatever reason.
All this being said, Kindle does get points for their customer service. They are almost up there with Apple, the one by which all others are measured.
2626 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon October 28, 2011
Having read many of the reviews on this product, I wanted to get it, and particularly because it says the audio is available on Kindle.

So, I bought it and it downloaded it, to both my PC for Kindle app, and my Kindle device. While the transcript does come through on Kindle, the Kindle does not support the 9 video clips. However, none of the supposed audio links at the beginning of each chapter in the document work. I tried every permutation, nothing worked. Neither could I get the audio to work on my PC app.

It may be just that I had that experience although on checking, I find that at least one other reviewer had a similar experience.

The transcript is fine on Kindle, and there are numerous photos, and on my app I can see even color photos. So, spare yourself a frustrating experience and get the hardcover, and when this matter gets resolved I will amend the review and the rating, as I have notified customer service.

The book itself appears quite interesting. I particularly liked a quote by her about President Kennedy: I am an idealist without illusions.

Amazon has responded quickly and offered a refund within an hour and a half. Pretty impressive. I will leave this review in place for a while so that prospective Kindle customers can be aware of this product issue.
on December 6, 2012
I so looked forward to hearing a firsthand, behind-the-scenes account of a compelling period of 20th century history. Instead, the discussions consist largely of Jackie singing the personal and political praises of JFK (elevating him to fairytale proportions), relating often mundane details of their daily life, and issuing petty criticisms such as how women who didn't support JFK were intimidated by his sexual aura.

Jackie's love, admiration and devotion to her husband is touching but at times her hero worship comes off as somewhat childlike and almost obsessive or delusional (undoubtedly colored by his death only 4 months earlier). In contrast, her accounts of political and historical events are quite superficial and bring into question the extent to which JFK spoke to her in detail about events as they unfolded. The interviewer frequently corrects her memory or provides much of the context of the events he wishes to discuss. In response, Jackie often dismisses seminal events with an off-hand, breathy comment ("Bobby would know better than me") before shifting her focus back to the politics of personality, once again making worshipful remarks about her husband or taking gossipy jabs at his rivals or other political wives. Jackie exhibits a particular disdain for other women; not one female she mentions escapes either a biting criticism or a backhanded "compliment" (Indira Gandhi, Pat Nixon, Mamie Eisenhower, Lady Bird Johnson, and even Rose Kennedy and Eunice Shriver all suffer digs). And although Jackie frequently criticizes others for faults shared by herself or her husband (her strong condemnation of MLK as an adulterer is sadly ironic), her characterizations of people make it clear Jackie considered JFK and herself to be superior to most everyone.

Additionally, while Jackie speaks at length about her efforts to make marriage and family life a refuge from the considerable political pressures faced by JFK, there is surprisingly little discussion of her activities and contributions as First Lady. She talks about the restoration of the White House, which she led admirably, and a few anecdotes of how she "made Jack so proud of me" by managing to charm certain foreign leaders at dinner parties and receptions. However, one is left with the overall impression that much of Jackie's time was spent either lying in bed (she relates so many instances of having taken to bed with exhaustion that one begins to suspect some degree of post-election/post-partum depression) or jetting off to "the Cape", the Hamptons, Florida, Virginia, or Europe -- sans JFK.

In the end, rather than provide the listener/reader with insights on the historical events of her husband's administration, these interviews leave the disappointing impression that Jackie Kennedy was (at least at the time) a well-educated but shallow and somewhat insecure snob -- hardly the result she and Caroline intended or history enthusiasts might have expected.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 7, 2011
Terrific idea to include the recordings with this book. Makes her more human than I expected. She was always so glamorous and distant, now listening to her she seems more like a favorite auntie with family stories. So brave, so young, so strong; it breaks my heart to think about all the pain she suffered so early in life.
on January 1, 2012
In my rush to preorder this as soon as it was offered in a Kindle edition I read NOWHERE that the audio was NOT included SO disappointed. The whole purpose was to hear in her voice!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Would you consider the audio edition of Jacqueline Kennedy: Historic Conversations on Life with John F. Kennedy to be better than the print version?

I waited for this version to come out so I could listen on my kindle. You also get a pdf of some gorgeous pictures of the family and all the footnotes. Nothing is left out.
This is definitely the best version available!

What other book might you compare Jacqueline Kennedy: Historic Conversations on Life with John F. Kennedy to and why?

Any living history project would compare, it's just that what Mrs. Kennedy says makes her human and very vivid in my mind. The Kennedy's have always been a passion of mine and this book is so illuminating. Warts and all!

Which character – as performed by the narrators – was your favorite?

No characters, everyone plays themselves. Mrs. Kennedy is wonderful but the saddest moment is when John comes in and says,

Did you have an extreme reaction to this book? Did it make you laugh or cry?

There are so many human moments in this book I don't know which one was the best. Mrs. Kennedy telling us that Mamie Eisenhower didn't want to give her a White House tour as is customary. And then calling at the last moment right after Jackie got out of the hospital having John-John and taking her on a two hour tour, not allowing her to sit down and rest. Unbelievable!

The insider's view of the Bay of Pigs and the Missile crisis were riveting listening. She felt her job was to be there for the President in case he needed to unwind so he rarely talked about work in his home time.

Mrs. Kennedy's views on state leaders, Khrushchev, De Gualle, McMillan, Wilson, etc. are so revealing and interesting. When she heard about the Russian space dogs having puppies she jokingly asked for one, and one day a dog appeared at the White House and the President said.

Any additional comments?

I recommend this to any US history buff, any fan of politics and any one who loved the Kennedys and miss the fact that this time will never come again.
on December 5, 2011
In browsing for this book, I was intrigued by the Kindle Edition with Audio/Visual. Imagine my disappointment when I discovered that this book is being sold as a "Kindle Edition" that can't be used on a Kindle device. Kind of a rip, if you think about it!

I'll buy the regular book for my Kindle (and review the content after I finish), but is this any way to "run a railroad"?
on October 22, 2012
I was honestly surprised at how scattered and poorly expressed many of Jaqueline's thoughts and memories were. I suppose I expected the book to be edited. Her conversation was not as descriptive, not as educated as I expected her to sound. She rambled. I did not expect rambling.

I did appreciate her insights into JFK as a dad. She obviously adored him and had such a special and respectful relationship with him. Her speaking clearly depicts a different time, a more private and guarded time, a more accepting tone. She did not speak as though she expected more or felt entitled.

Interesting but not terribly enlightening.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 21, 2013
I chose the deluxe audio/video Kindle edition of the Jacqueline Kennedy tapes looking forward to enjoying videos, the audio of the tapes and the transcripts all in one package. It seemed like a great idea. However, in addition to the audio and video failing to work on my latest and greatest Kindle Fire HD, it barely worked on my iPod Touch, failing to let me use my video cable off the Touch onto my exterior monitor. I was only able to view the videos on my very smallest screen. Content was compelling to me as a Kennedy fan, but the technology of this product is very much not ready for prime time.
on February 7, 2013
Similar to stepping back in time and eavesdropping on conversations that shaped history. I was a bit taken back by some of her views towards women and the way she chose to communicate with the president. Before reading these conversations, you may want to remove any preconceived theories you may hold regarding the persona of Jacqueline Kennedy. Also understand 50 years have passed and if she were alive today and granted such an interview (unlikely), many of her views shared in this conversation would have changed by past historical gains. The language is candid and I applaud Caroline Kennedy for being brave enough to publish these conversations without major editing. A great read for those interested in politics, woman's studies and behaviors.