5.0 out of 5 stars WARRIORS
It took far too long for Thin Lizzy to step up to the plate with a major performance like this. They had flirted with good albums for years, but everything finally came together. As far as the review saying this was typical 80's metal, then this must be great, because it was the mid 70's. Just goes to show they were a band well ahead of their time!
The great lyrics,...
Published on February 11, 2002 by Michael Courtney

3.0 out of 5 stars jailbreak
Thin Lizzy.at their best typical of the material they produced in their heyday.Rated as pretty damn good. hey hey hey
Published 16 months ago by Benhurt

5.0 out of 5 stars WARRIORS, February 11, 2002
Michael Courtney "exiled01" (San Antonio, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jailbreak (Audio CD)
The great lyrics, driving bass, Lynott's crooning, the double edged guitar attack that would become a trademark, and the pounding rhythms of Brian Downey's drums create a masterpiece! I can't even begin to tell you there are any songs you'd have to wade through to get to something good. These are all Lizzy killers! My favorites are "Warriors" and "Emerald", where the group shows they can play swords and sorcery with the best of them. The variety of most Lizzy albums is present even here with the slower "Romeo and the Lonely Girl" and "Running Back". Strong rockers are the three everyone knows, "Jailbreak", "the Cowboy Song", and "the Boys Are Back In Town".
Maybe it's just reliving great times from high school or one of the hottest tours I've seen with Robin Trower, but JAILBREAK is one of those lifetime achievements few bands, no matter how good, ever accomplish. Definitely a 100 all-time best CD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jailbreak, what a fantastic recording!, July 13, 2005
This review is from: Jailbreak (Audio CD)
I remember buying this in the summer of 1976 after hearing "The Boys Are back in Town" on the radio a few times. That song is one of the top 10 songs ever! When I bought it as an LP (remember those?), I was so excited and distracted that I put the wrong side on the turntable. Instead of that song, out of the speakers came the title track JAILBREAK. Another timeless classic. Needles to say, the entire record of 9 songs was fantastic and there truly isn't a dud on here. Since then I have bought these songs on cassette, CD, and now the remastered version. Great story in the liner notes too. Buy it and read it for yourself. It is almost hard to believe the recorded output Lizzy put out in the years of 1975 through 1977. Quality too. Hell, "Johnny the Fox" also came out later that year in '76 and is every bit as good as this, unfortunately overlooked because of the lack of a hit. Personal favorites on here are "Romeo and the Lonely Girl", "Emerald", and "Warriors". I love them all. If you want some great rock songs with excellent twin guitar breaks, this is for you. See where Maiden, Leppard, and The Darkness got it from in the first place! My only question on this reissue is why has Scott Gorham been eliminated on the Overlaord's video screen on the cover? He is the only member from this group performing in the current Thin Lizzy lineup and for some reason, he is missing.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only commercially known release from music's best*, April 18, 2005
This review is from: Jailbreak (Audio CD)
Most would credit those such as Elvis(obvious), the Stones, Beatles, & Van Halen as being the best of all time. They may have been great, but I have news for the world in 2005! I, myself, obtained my first copy of Jailbreak at age 25(2001) & while I was brainwashed most of my life by just commercially known outfits, I was born again and saw the light with Thin Lizzy and the late(1/4/86), greatest Phil Lynott. We all know "The Boys Are Back In Town, but this is just the beginning. While Downey, Gorham, & Robertson fit the mold of the long haired, blonde stereotyped looking rock star, Philip Parris Lynott of Irish-Brazilian dark & curly haired decent was a legend & (Black Rose) to look up too. How ironic after all this time that this one was the best all this time*

5.0 out of 5 stars The breakout album from the band, May 31, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Jailbreak (Audio CD)
This album was the first time I had heard of the band "Thin Lizzy", (I was 13 at the time. It was our nation's bicentennial!). It was also the album that made me want to learn guitar as a kid, and I knew exactly how I wanted to sound. LIKE THESE GUYS!!!!
To me the look and sound of Thin Lizzy was the coolest. I never felt cheated with any of their STUDIO albums (even "Renegade" had some great moments on it), and I admire their courage to record songs that made Thin Lizzy a truly "singular" band.
But not everyone was so taken with this band. Critically they were often slammed. Read what Robert Christgau wrote about Thin Lizzy, and the album "Jailbreak"....... (from Robert Christgau, Christgau's Record Guide, 1981)....
>>>The proof of how desperate people are for new Springsteen is that they'll settle for this -- even "The Boys Are Back in Town" is the sort of thing that ends up in Bruce's wastebasket. If Irish teen traumas are as boring as Phil Lynott's descriptions of them, it's no wonder they have trouble maintaining their birthrate. And if Irish teen traumas are as secondhand as Scott Gorham's guitar lines, the Irish will probably end up preferring Springsteen too. B- <<<<<
I'm glad Thin Lizzy sound didn't compare to the bombast of "everyman" and critical darling, Bruce Springsteen. And I'm glad that the band kept doing what IT wanted to musically, critics be damned. Thin Lizzy's guitar work when Scott and Brian played together was brilliant, the song styles and subject matter varied, the song writing was at times subpar (being honest here), but usually excellent. They were never boring. There sound was exciting, and at times different and very challenging, unlike Springsteen (why people tried to compare the two is beyond me).
When Thin Lizzy released these 4 studio albums consecutively....Jailbreak (1976) Johnny the Fox (1976) Bad Reputation (1977) Black Rose (1979)....it was rock nirvana for me. I can't think of another band that influenced me in my youth the way these guys did, and I thank them for it. I would have given anything to play guitar like Scott and Brian, and be as cool as Phil.

5.0 out of 5 stars jailbreakthrough, September 22, 2005
This review is from: Jailbreak (Audio CD)
I know we all know, Zeppelin ,sabbath, Deep purple, but what about Thin Lizzy.

If "Fighting" made Lizzy sound like a real great hard rock band, "Jaikbreak" had made them eternal.

Perfectly mixing melodic riffs with heavy tones, Jailbreak is outstanding.

Like all the albuns from this era, the most distinctable thing are the guitar duets between Gorham and Robertson (don't ask me which one is better)

Check out "The boys..." "jailbreak" and "Angel from the coast"

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic rock 'n roll!!!!!, July 16, 2002
This review is from: Jailbreak (Audio CD)
This album's greatness makes me realize that Thin Lizzy never really got its due, or at least it sure doesn't get it now. Everybody knows (and overplays) The Boys are Back in Town, but the title track is even better, in my opinion. The carefree, rebellious attitude is what rock is all about, and the simple lyrics help get that across. Also, the eruption of rock on The Cowboy Song makes it my second favorite on the album. If you're looking for another classic rock album to add to your collection, this one is a good choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hey you, good lookin' female...come 'ere, April 9, 2008
This review is from: Jailbreak (Audio CD)
All Thin Lizzy is worth delving into. Lynott was one of those rare individuals. The fact that all you ever hear is the boys are back in town is just downright criminal. They have such an impressive catalog. Great dual guitar sound, great drummer, great songwriting. Faves are this album, Live & Dangerous, and Johnny The Fox.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best LPs of the 70's, January 16, 2007
This review is from: Jailbreak (Audio CD)
While this is certainly a great album by Thin Lizzy, containing perhaps their 3 best songs ("Jailbreak", "The Boys Are Back in Town" and "Cowboy Song"), I don't agree with most of the other reviews that this is their best album. Don't get me wrong. This is a superb hard rock album without any filler, just good songs start to finish. But, the album that preceded this one, "Fighting", is the one I would consider their absolute best album. I owned both vinyl copies and they both got worn out on my turntable. But, it was "Fighting" that first turned me on to Thin Lizzy. If you like "Jailbreak", you have to do yourself a favor and purchase "Fighting" also. Two great albums by one of the best rock bands of the 70's.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Jailbreak" is one of the best ever., August 9, 2004
Scott "Dr. Music" Itter "Dr. Music" (Naperville, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jailbreak (Audio CD)
Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson. Has there ever been a better twin lead guitar record ever recorded? After listening to a spine-tingling jamfest like "Emerald", it would be tough to find anything better than Thin Lizzy's "Jailbreak".

Gorham and Robertson are astounding on this tremendous effort from 1976. This record has it all; legendary frontman Phil Lynott providing solid bass work along with his sly "ghetto" vocal, the incessant rhythmic rolling of drummer Brian Downey, a range of song styles that is rare for any artist from any decade, and of course.....there's Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson with guitar acrobatics throughout. A truly amazing record through and through.

Most people know the two big hits from the record, "Jailbreak" and "The Boys Are Back In Town", as they are in constant rotation on your local Classic Rock stations; but it's the rest of the record that is really electrifying. With songs such as "Romeo And The Lonely Girl", "Warriors", and "Cowboy Song" rounding out the album, my jaw drops every time I listen. From the initial explosion of the very first note of the title track to kick things off, to the most amazing dual lead guitar solos ever recorded on "Emerald", this is a record that has so much to offer in every facet of the "classic rock formula". With the jumpy, jangling guitar work that shuffles through "Angel From The Coast" and "Romeo And The Lonely Girl", and the free and easy pop cadence of "Running Back", this is not only a record with a lot of muscle, but a record with loads of eloquence also. Check out the ultra-cool and mellow mood of "Fight Or Fall", which reminds this writer of 70's African-American cultural nuances such as the "afro" and Cooley High". This is an artful record with phenomenal musicianship. It's difficult to talk about anyone else with those two overwhelming guitarists doing the job, but let's not forget an amazing drum performance by Brian Downey. Numerous times I have listened to some records and just wind up wishing for a crash cymbal to sound at that perfect place, or a drum fill that never comes. Downey never disappoints here. With constant drum fills rolling through almost every track, and great explosiveness with precise timing, he matches the guitar intensity extremely well. Check out the six measure drum solo in "Warriors", ...great stuff.

I keep returning to it though. Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson. Wow.

This may be the only record that the guitars have more "lyrics" than the singer. I believe, that the sign of great guitar soloing is when the listener can almost "sing" what's been played. When I think about this record, and find it buzzing in my head at the dinner table, it is the finely crafted guitar solos that I find to be the hooks here! This is an amazing thing!! I cannot think of more than 5 records that have solos that stick anywhere near this heavy. The guitar parts of this record are songs within themselves. They take on personality and character, and they ultimately become entities. Amazing. Amazing. Amazing.

If you are a fan of great guitar playing, and you have not heard this entire record....PLEASE, find it - hear it - end up "singing" the greatest solos ever recorded.

For more Dr. Music reviews, visit DrMusic.new-sounds.com

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like THIN LIZZY this is the album for you......, June 20, 2000
This review is from: Jailbreak (Audio CD)
I have just recently gotten into Thin Lizzy. A good friend of mine got me into them by playing this album, "Jailbreak", cover to cover. I was in awe by this band! "The Boys Are Back in Town" and "Cowboy Song" I had heard before - that was the end of my Thin Lizzy knowledge. But this album is classic all the way through! It has soulful grooves like "Romeo and the Lonely Girl" and "Fight or Fall", as well as some heavy rockers like "Emerald", "Warriors" and the title track, "Jailbreak". And the band never loses this "feel" that they have. The music is always tight and right in the pocket. This is the Thin Lizzy album to begin with. If you're like me, you'll want more after hearing this one. Break out!

Jailbreak