Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Video Game|Change

on February 7, 2012
If you're looking for a review of the games themselves, I suggest looking up the original reviews for the games here; Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy Jak II Jak 3. I will simply be reviewing the new features for the trilogy package as a whole.

1. HD: The visuals in this game have definitely had a huge overhaul. The frame rate is a smooth 60fps, with hardly any hiccups or slowdowns. The character models look much more detailed and fine tuned. Environments look beautiful as well, and seeing many iconic locations remastered with detailed HD graphics can only be described as nostalgic. I hope they keep up the good work they've done with updating these PS2 classics when they make the Ratchet & Clank Collection.

2. 3D: For many, this won't matter since the number of 3D TVs in households is still a slim number, but for those who do (myself included) it's a feature well worth mentioning. They did a great job making the visuals really "pop". The multiple layers are well placed for dynamic depth perception. It' really been a joy to play the trilogy in 3D so far. You can adjust the depth to your liking, but I found the default setting to be just about right.

3. Trophies: If you're looking for a few challenges while replaying the trilogy, Naughty Dog's got you covered. The trophies range from challenging to pushover, but it's still been fun collecting them, as they have you doing things you might have otherwise never tried. The platinum trophy should give gamers a pretty big challenge to obtain, but with games like these, you'll enjoy every moment of the effort.

Naughty Dog's Jak Trilogy has long been a staple of the platforming world and replaying these games is a stark reminder why. It's a steal for $40, but for any less it's a must own! They just don't make games like these anymore, and they probably never will again, so it's definitely worth picking up a copy and reliving the joys of playing the original trilogy.
2020 comments|89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2012
I may be biased because Jak & Daxter is my favorite platformer and I think it paved the way for other great series' such as Ratchet & Clank. I've long waited for Jak 4 on the PS3 -- but Naughty Dog just revealed that "Last of Us" was made instead of a Jak 4 because the team ran into trouble while attempting to design it. But as they always say "never say never".

As for this collection, it's the next best thing. The HD visuals are definitely an upgrade to the originals on PS2 (particularly 2 & 3). Frame rate is smooth and the environments look great. I do not own a 3D television so I can't comment on that, although I have read that it is well done.

If you're a fan of the series, you'll be very pleased. If you've never played Jak & Daxter before, this is a perfect opportunity to enjoy the best platformer created IMO for $39. In addition, there are trophies to collect! Enjoy!
on February 16, 2012
The Jak trilogy was games made by Naughty Dog during the early to mid part of the last decade. However this collection was not made by Naughty Dog but it was ported by a different company. Anyway if you have never played Jak then I would recomend to pick it up right now, cause these games are defiantly in my top 10 ever made. The genre that these were in is just about dead on this generation of consoles (except for super mario galaxy and very few others) thanks to all the first person shooters so this was a nice break to relieve my childhood and remember where everything was for the trophy s. Which speaking of trophys there is trophys for each of the 3 games and while the 1st is a mostly an easy platinum (except for finding every single orb in the game)the 2nd and 3rd games are very challenging to get all the trophy's for. The Graphics have been extremely improved expecilly the 2nd and 3rd games. The 1st has been improved a lot to but not quite as impressive but keep in mind that was one of the 1st good ps2 games. Anyway I'll have a short review for each of the games but if you have never played Jak and Daxter stop reading and buy it now.

Jak and Daxter-9/10 My first ps2 game also one of my favorite games of all time unlike the other Jak games this one is more like Super Mario 64 but better

Jak 2-10/10 Same as the first one this is one of my favorite games ever made and I know a lot of people like the 3rd better I actually preferred this one but this game is pretty much more platforming game and gran theft auto combined to make one epic game

Jak 3-8.5/10 this is a good end to the trilogy but I have only played this one a few times before and its they only jak game in this collection I haven't beat on ps2 which will change with this collection
on March 30, 2016
For long time Jak and Daxter fans, this HD collection is a MUST HAVE. It was so nice to be able to revisit all the past Jak and Daxter games in a remastered state, with the same crisp audio. Nostalgia definitely kicked into overdrive as I was playing this collection, and I would highly recommend it to every PlayStation 3 owner to be honest. A word of caution though, DO NOT buy the Jak and Daxter collection for the PlayStation Vita since that particular version has terrible frame rate issues.
on January 3, 2016
I finally got around to purchasing the HD Collection of this series, and so far I'm glad I made the investment. I've only played through the first installment in this collection, and it's everything I remember from my PS2 edition. I had some problems with a lagging camera and Jak moving in the wrong direction when I threw a punch on a few occasions, but I don't think it was enough to cause a kerfuffle over.

I'm slowly playing through Jak II, so I'll come back to respond to my experience with it later.
on June 9, 2013
Finally they make the legendary games of all time from the ps2 and remaster it for ps3. I always love Jax and Daxter and there trilogy, ive played all there game so many time when i was a little kid. This game truly does look phenomenal on a HDTV with HDMI. I did get bored though since i already had played these game too many times but i got it just becuase i was so excited to see that they had the trilogy for PS3. I recommend this game to any Jax and Daxter fans or kids that are already playing those violent shooting games so that they cant get there mind of those shooting games and play some old time shooting games.
on November 11, 2015
I wont even describe the games because hopefully you know these games are a must-have for any 90's youth. Or any genuinely good person.

Graphics: I personally don't notice much difference between the original, it does require some fiddling on your TV settings to get the fullscreen effect. I got the best results on the 16:9 (widescreen) setting.

And lastly i will say on Jak 2 you can use the exploit on the "find the gold orb" mission to get all precursor orbs. Google it. Because frankly some side missions are impossible.
on July 16, 2015
Three classic Jak & Daxter all on one disk. I had a little problem selecting which of the three games I wanted to play. I was trying to use the joy stick to move between selections. I came on and asked how to do it and one of the readers answered very fast. I'm very satisfied.
on December 23, 2014
An excellent series. Although this PS3 port has a few glitches and problems (particularly evident in Jak 2) It is still very much a fun game. As others have mentioned, Jak 2 is frustratingly difficult due to the lack of checkpoints and health packs, but for what it is it is still very much a good deal. In terms of graphics, I would not call them "remastered" as all the textures and graphics are the same, just this time being rendered by the PS3 in 720p 60fps. Although it would have been nice to see a few things updated to more modern standards, I certainly can't complain given the $13 it costs!
on May 15, 2013
Edit (July 10, 2014): I wrote some more thoughts on Jak II in the comments sections of this review. If you are reading this review, please check out what I wrote there, for some fair analysis of the game. Thank you!

Sadly not in a new series, but this collection is the next best thing. In case it wasn't obvious, this collection includes HD remastered versions of the three original Jak & Daxter games, made by none other than Naughty Dog, of Uncharted (and Crash Bandicoot) fame. Now if you were expecting anything else, like the other JaD games or perhaps some bonus features, or maybe even *gasp* a downloadable avatar, you will not find it here. Pure and simple, the games (accompanied by the standard HD Collection menu and achievements...er...trophies, sorry) are the only thing here. Not even the making of video is included. Oh yeah, speaking of trophies, there are quite a few here as each game in the trilogy has it's own separate trophies (somewhere around 40 to 50 for each game). Yes that means three separate platinum's for trophy hunters. Also, most of the trophies are pretty easy to get, most of them (except for those precursor orb ones ): ) will be acquired by simply playing the game. Anyways, buying an HD collection for merely trophies or bonus content is a total waste, it's really about the games. So...

Are these games any good?

Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
An old school 3d platformer, this is a great game (possibly my favorite of the three) which screams potential for future installments (more on the irony of that in a moment). The Precursor Legacy looks and plays beautifully. Sure it's a bit graphically dated, but the colorful island environments look quite pretty regardless of age. Amazingly enough TPL (Precursor Le...oh you know) never loads. Every location flawlessly transitions into the next, almost making the game feel like one large level. No "door" tricks here guys, walk across a bridge toward a jungle and you'll discover that you just reached the next level.

Jak II
I'll boldly proclaim it right now: THIS GAME SUCKS! Got that? Ok, moving on now

Ja-What's that? why does Jak II suck? *sigh*

Jak II throws almost everything about its...heh...precursor out the window. Jak and Daxter get warped into some strange Sci-Fi city, set in the center of an apocalyptic world. Poor Jak gets kidnapped by guards and is put under torture and experiments for years by an evil baron ruling the city until Daxter finds and saves him. Jak is now totally pissed off and vows for revenge (yeah, he starts speaking for the first time in this game). Together the duo Hijack cars and traverse the city and its outskirts completing missions for "the resistance" (Or was it the rebellion?) in hopes of eventually taking down the baron and saving the city. Oh yeah, Here's why it's horrible:

-Open world lacks interesting things to do. No exciting side missions (only boring ones), guards patrol the city and become extremely annoying when they chase you down, also driving around becomes monotonous and repetitive after playing the game for awhile

-Way to hard. Hard isn't bad, it's fun when done correctly. Unfortunately, Jak II 's idea of hard is so annoying that it actually interrupts and seriously injures the game. Frequently the difficulty would suddenly spike beyond whatever explanation I could possibly describe here and I would start dying over and over and over and over again. Now that isn't quite what makes things terrible, it's that Jak II's evil level designers decided there should be next to no checkpoints, meaning, each time you die, you will most likely restart all the way back at the beginning of a mission (said missions are usually quite long). It's so frustrating that I still feel tense and angry writing about it right now.

-Dated. this game hasn't aged as well as the other two. graphically, it may look better than the first game, but it often appears bland and dull. Unfortunately, the controls are the real issue here. Jak now carries guns and well, controlling them can be a real pain since, instead of a cross hair, the game uses a laser line on the edge of each gun to show exactly what it is being aimed at. Auto targeting is here too, to make sure things don't get too rough. Sounds good? it's not. aiming at what you want doesn't happen fast enough, and you'll shoot the wrong people or things often. Because of this the game is (yes, you guessed it) HARDER! Also, because the entire trilogy has inverted camera control, I had to visit each games settings menu to fix camera, so it would turn like it would in a normal, modern third person game. BUT, for some unexplainably irritating reason, in the second game (not in the first or the third), doing this causes the camera in first person mode to invert left and right. Ever tried turning left to turn right in a game before? It's very frustrating (and of course up and down are inverted too, but that's a standard for the whole trilogy). So yes that means, you guessed it, the game is EVEN HARDER! (shooting robots from a turret was never so minded-screwingly frustrating and, yes, hard)

There's probably more, but I'm done. No more complaining

Jak 3
Wonderful! The best game of the series, everything wrong with Jak II, besides the lack of memorable side quests, has been fixed. It's open world again, but this time Jak and Daxter travel back and forth between a desert (where they get to drive around in awesome dune buggys) and that city, which is no longer lame and annoying (no more guards hunting you endlessly, and no more long useless driving). There's a ton of variety in the missions, insuring that things never really get boring. Checkpoints are scattered logically and the difficulty has been toned down; However, Jak 3 isn't "easy", it's just right. There's a ton of new guns as well as a new Light Jak to accompany Dark Jak (oh, right, Dark Jak was added in that crappy second game). Now our hero can do cool stuff like fly (with wings) and freeze time. Also the hoverboard (yes, like Back to the Future Part II) is back and improved with the option to attack enemies (Yeah, the hoverboard was in Jak II). The story is interesting, but the gameplay is the real star of Jak 3

With all that said, is this collection worth your cash and time? Totally! The first and third JaD games are fun experiences that blend the platforming, action, and adventure genres together for a worthwhile purchase. I do want to apologize for lack of proper grammar (I'm sure the Jak II bit has some issues that I didn't look over properly) and for so much criticism.