5.0 out of 5 stars 4yo loves making bugs
this toy was a huge hit at christmas. It was all my 4yo could talk about. The oven works just like the easy bake oven that I remember as a child.... except the creations in this oven are icky, rubbery bugs. What's not to love?

Published on January 13, 2009 by Joe'sMom

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of junk
this was the worst toy ever. My six year old son couldn't do any of it himself and even with adult help the bugs all fell apart. It was frustrating and no fun for anyone
Published on December 25, 2009 by Linda Donato

5.0 out of 5 stars 4yo loves making bugs, January 13, 2009
This review is from: Creepy Crawlers Workshop (Toy)

The oven requires a 60 watt candelabra bulb (not included). Once the bulb is installed, you just plug it in and go. The kit came with 3 color bug solutions (orange, black and green) and a special FX tube that I'm not sure actually does anything "special". There are 2 metal plate molds and a spatula for smoothing the goop into all the mold crevices. You fill the molds with your "goop" and get a grown up to help put the mold into the oven, then wait for 7-9 minutes, remove the mold into a "cooling tray" filled with water. The instructions tell you to let cool for 8 - 25 minutes, but honestly, the tray cools down in just a few minutes. Then scoop out the bugs and you're ready to make more.

The bugs are NOT edible....just rubbery creepy fun.

As far as safety goes, the oven seems to be built well. The oven can not be turned on while the door is open, and then once the door is closed and the the light is on, the door will not reopen until it's not only turned off, but also cooled down. There is a rudimentary heat gage on the front of the machine - when the arrow is at the bottom of the window, oven is hot, door is locked. When the arrow is at the top of the window, oven is cool, door can open. While none of this takes the place of parental supervision, I found these to be nice safety features.

The cooking bugs do emit a plasticy odor that was mildly unpleasant, but not unbearable. the smell dissipates quickly. Also, we did spill some of the liquid goop on a shirt and it washed out with no stains or visible mess.

While this toy is not really my cup of tea, I can not stress enough how much my son LOVES this toy. He will literally spend hours creating new bugs, and carries them around in a zip lock baggy to show anyone who will listen. This was a great gift, a big hit, and I would definitely recommend. Amazon also sells refill packs for the goop in different sizes and colors. You should be able to find refills for under $10.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite 60s Toy, July 17, 2008
This review is from: Creepy Crawlers Workshop (Toy)
This toy really brings back memories. GREAT fun and now I use it for my middle school science classes to teach about fossils. I'm glad they still make it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just like the good 'ol days!, January 9, 2009
This review is from: Creepy Crawlers Workshop (Toy)
Bought this for our 3 boys for Christmas because I used to have one like this when I was young. It's still great and they love making creepy things. It's easy to use,some adult supervision needed due to the heat, but my 7 yr old twins have the hang of it now and can do it by themselves. Lots of good fun, more molds would be a nice addition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Creepy Crawlers, January 11, 2013
This review is from: Creepy Crawlers Workshop (Toy)
I have always been a big fan of this as I had one when i was a kid. They are a lot of fun. Unfortunately they no longer come with the light bulb and we did not realize this . Then it took us forever to get one so Christmas was a little disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, January 3, 2013
This review is from: Creepy Crawlers Workshop (Toy)
Additional Creepy Crawlers Goop Refill - Three Bottles (Colors Vary) Additional Creepy Crawlers Goop Refill - Three Bottles (Colors Vary)

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT PRODUCT. WHY DO i HAVE TO WRITE A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF WORDS. WHY CAN'T I JUST RATE WITH THE STARS?, December 26, 2012
This review is from: Creepy Crawlers Workshop (Toy)

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a fun toy for my 7 year old 2 years later, December 9, 2012
Christy (New Palestine, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Creepy Crawlers Workshop (Toy)
This was a Christmas gift for my son 2 years ago and he still plays with it! We are down to 1 color -purple- so I need to get some refills. He gets it out every few months to play with - not every day or anything. With so many toys set aside never to be seen again in his toy box, this really has been a good stand by. Fairly easy to use and the only hard part is waiting for them to "cook" and cool down. The actually creepy crawlers are a limited thrill but he plays with them and then I throw them away (on the sly;) Good winter afternoon fun and Overall a good buy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars great fun, May 30, 2011
This review is from: Creepy Crawlers Workshop (Toy)
we have had alot of fun with this toy!!! boys age 9 and 4 both were able to make the fun bugs!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Nephew liked it!, January 11, 2011
This review is from: Creepy Crawlers Workshop (Toy)
My nephew seemed to like it really well. He is into bugs and creepy crawly things so this seemed to be right up his alley.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun, December 29, 2010
This review is from: Creepy Crawlers Workshop (Toy)
My 10 year old daughter wanted this toy more than anything else for Christmas. After reading the reviews for the newer version of it (not good) I decided to purchase this older version. It works beautifully and my daughter loves it! I was surprised at how easy and fun this is!

Creepy Crawlers Workshop