4.0 out of 5 stars Great man. Good writing. Succinct biography.
Published on October 18, 2011 by Jason Ryan

3.0 out of 5 stars Good historical perspective, but unsatisfying
Published on November 25, 2011 by Robert G. Rosenthal

3.0 out of 5 stars Good historical perspective, but unsatisfying, November 25, 2011
Robert G. Rosenthal (Chicago, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: James Madison (Hardcover)
Over the past year, I've added something to my bucket list. Before I die, I plan to read at least one book on every US president, in order of the dates of their presidencies. I have read a number out of order, having read several books on Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon and Clinton over the past few years. But, this book on James Madison follows Chernow's Washington, McCullough's John Adams, and Ellis's Jefferson, American Sphinx.

While Brookhiser's biography of Madison provides a great historical timeline of his life, it really does not capture who Madison was. He goes to great lengths to paint a human portrait of his wife Dolley, but fails to capture anything about the personality of the "father of the US Constitution. Following the detail shown for this type of writing by Chernow and McCullough, I found this unsatisfying as if something was missing from the book.

Overall, the history is fine and the prose well written. The book itself was easy to follow and understand. But if you are a student of the psychology of leaders, this book leaves something to be desired.

For a historical perspective, this book does near 5 stars. For a complete profile of James Madison he man, it was a little disappointing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great man. Good writing. Succinct biography., October 18, 2011
Jason Ryan (West Hartford, CT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: James Madison (Kindle Edition)
It's hard to understate James Madison's influence over the US Constitution. The Philadelphia Convention ran for several months and most of the framers came and went for periods of time. Not James Madison. He attended every session and pushed for his ideas of how a government of the people should work. Checks and balances, judicial review, bicameral legislature - we owe the lion's share of praise for these institutions to him.

What is so admirable about Madison is how he knew his history and used it to argue his points. A reader, writer, and statesman, he drew on everything from ancient civilizations to philosophy to promote his ideas. We have few leaders today who are as authoritative about their government.

Yet for Madison, as with so many of the Founding Fathers, it's tragic to read about his failure to address slavery. He owned slaves. And many times he passed on opportunities to begin the work of abolishing the institution. It's hard to imagine slave owners voluntarily giving up their "property," but I can't help but wonder what effect a dramatic Madisonian speech against slavery might have had on the country. During his twilight years, he had tremendous sway over the people. He could have done a tremendous service to the country by speaking out against slavery.

Richard Brookheiser is a very good writer. The prose flows smoothly. My only area of concern is that this work is quite short. It's only 300 pages long. In just 20 pages we move through Madison's entire youth to the events of 1776! If you are accustomed to the more detailed biographies like those from David McCullough, Steven Ambrose, or Jean Edward Smith, you will find yourself very surprised by the brevity of this book. I sense there is a lot more of James Madison that I did not get to know.

4.0 out of 5 stars Madison - Accomplishments Lost in the Shadows of Washington and Jefferson, October 21, 2011
This review is from: James Madison (Hardcover)
Given the regular release of new books on Washington, Jefferson, Adams and others, it is helpful and important to read this latest and excellent biography of James Madison. Madison's accomplishments are often lost in the long and large shadows of Washington and Jefferson. He was the consummate behind the scenes advisor, ghost writer, partisan, and strategist. In that role his brilliance and contributions are too often overlooked. Just as Madison himself was willing to let his brilliance, dedication, and hard work shine obscurely through the public reputations of Washington and Jefferson, historians have seldom pulled back the curtain to show Madison in his true and central role. Richard Brookhiser has done Madison and his readers a service in writing this excellent biography and does pull the curtain back to show Madison's paternity in the birth of the Constitution and the Union it formed and sustained. The book is concise and immediately captures the reader's attention through its flowing narration. I have deducted one star because I sensed that the author presented a Jeffersonian negativity towards Adams, Hamilton and the cadre of federalists among the founding fathers. This approach, to me, clouds the book's interpretation of their shared roles and accomplishments. Since Brookhiser has written excellent books on Hamilton and the generations of the Adams family, his approach is surprising. Perhaps it is an excessive effort to balance his perspective, given that earlier work. For a reader familiar with the period this element of demerit is merely a distraction and source of frustration. The book is truly enjoyable and well worth reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars James Madison lite..., November 27, 2011
This review is from: James Madison (Hardcover)
This is a relatively short overview of James Madison's life, and in many ways it is unsatisfying. It is a whirlwind tour, with almost as much time spent on Dolley Madison's charms as the creation of the Bill of Rights or the differences between the Federalists and the Republicans. The author's firm belief in Madison's intellectual loftiness is very hard to verify based upon what you read here.

Having said that, Brookhiser does encapsulate the first few decades of the Republic and present at least cursory portraits of several of the Founding Fathers as well as short summaries of the most notable events. I imagine someone trying to acquaint himself with the times would find this a useful introduction, though so many specifics are left out that anyone with even a vague interest will find himself looking for better books which begs the question- why not just start with the more comprehensive tomes?

What did interest me is the modern feel of politics even 200 years ago- the backbiting, logrolling, compromising and willingness to flip flop if it suited you at the moment. Hence Madison could write of implied powers in the Federalists papers, sanction state nullification of laws in the Virginia decrees and worry about Federalists who voiced the same opinion at the Hartford Conventions. All this proves either the "flexibility" or dis ingenuousness of even the greatest political thinkers, depending upon your viewpoint.

Another point of enlightenment for me was Madison's belief in "The People" as the ultimate arbiter of all political decisions. Of course here too he held conflicting opinions as he feared the geographical interests that threatened the union, and one has to wonder how he would feel about a country where almost 50% pay no Federal taxes- would the pall of class warfare have dampened his belief in populism?

So for me the most rewarding aspects of this book could have been presented in a long magazine article. The rest is history lite which lends itself to those who are looking for a quick summary of the birth of the US as presented through the accomplishments of its fourth President. Almost all the important stuff is presented and you will be able to discuss the XYZ affair at a cocktail party with the best of them. But if you really want to understand the times, this is not the book for you. It may whet your appetite, but it will not satisfy your hunger.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little thin, March 14, 2012
This review is from: James Madison (Kindle Edition)
Biography is kind of bare bones. In particular, I was hoping for some insight into a couple areas, which I didn't get: first, the thinking that went into the writing of the constitution -- I know the Federalist papers explain the thinking after it was written, but, for example, was 'judicial review' clearly in his mind during the writing, or was 'necessary and proper' intended to have the broad impact it later had? In fact, the writing of the constitution itself was rather vague and just referred to being done in committee. Secondly, Madison's transition from Federalist to Republican was not well explained. In all fairness, perhaps those things are simply not available. Just started "The Constitutional Convention: A Narrative History from the Notes of James Madison" by Larson and Winship. Perhaps some of my questions will be somewhat clarified there.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much analysis, March 3, 2014
This review is from: James Madison (Kindle Edition)
I was very excited to get this book and dig in. I have always been fascinated by the founders, Madison in particular.

Unfortunately, I only got a third of the way through the book before I had to put it down and find another Madison bio. I found this book utterly annoying.

Rather than describe the history of events and Madison's interaction with them, Brookhiser instead describes the history of events and then inserts his own (often snarky) interpretation of Madison's reaction to them, before finally providing some evidence which is only occasionally the most important thing that Madison may have said or thought at the time. It seems that Brookhiser often subverts the really important stuff to provide evidence that Brookhiser is smarter or more refined than Madison.

I did not buy this book to get Brookhiser's analysis of Madison. I bought it to get a history of Madison, which I would then use to make my own analysis of Madison. I'm pretty smart. I don't need Brookhiser to make my opinions for me.

If you want to be lectured to by a supposedly great historian, perhaps this book will satisfy you, but I found it arrogant and had to put it down.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not a comprehensive study of Madison, July 14, 2013
This review is from: James Madison (Paperback)
A few years ago I read McCullough's biography of John Adams. It was an impressive study of Adams' whole life and one felt at the end of it you truly understood the man. After that read, I made a commitment to read at least one biography on each president, even those who served during my life that I frankly thought were horrible presidents.

In Brookhiser's "James Madison," I'd hoped to find a similar, comprehensive biography of one of the key Founding Fathers. Unfortunately, it was not what I'd hoped for. The book is fairly short at 250 pages in hardback form which should have alerted me that it wouldn't provide the depth I was looking for. This book focuses a lot on Madison the politician and how he manages the political process to achieve his policy goals. It is interesting and a good perspective to consider. However, if you are looking to understand the genesis of Madison's views on government and policy, you will need to look to another book. There was also little regarding his childhood, personal life or his relationship with Dolley.

The author clearly likes James Madison and respects his contributions to the founding of our country. The fact that Madison owned slaves was not discussed until the final chapter. Madison was conflicted on the subject of slavery and that's fine for me. I'm not into the current trend in biographies that seeks to minimalize all a founder's contributions simply because they owned slaves. Brookhiser's account is fair and doesn't over-dramatize the facts based on current standards. The book is well-written and easy to read. It just isn't a beginning to end biography if that's what you're looking for. Another odd omission is that there are no photos in the book at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of our great Presidents., January 12, 2013
Rick L. (Pittsfield,Ma.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: James Madison (Hardcover)
Madison is not as thought of as he should be. The things this man went through in his life could fill many books for sure. His is one to be read. He got things done. I admire his courage and brain power. I like the authors way of telling this Presidents story. Great book. Thanks. Rick L.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but I still don't know Madison, September 21, 2012
This review is from: James Madison (Kindle Edition)
I still don't feel like I know
Madison. The author seems to put
forward the notion that he was a mildly principled practical politician.
Maybe that's what made Madison tick,
and maybe the thesis is what the
author intended to convey. If so the
author did a good job. I finished the book with a sense that I still really don't know Madison and I'm unsure if
If there was more to the man, or as one writer posited (in The Presidents we Deserved...) Madison was a near Zero. I'm going to try to read another biography of Madison to further try to
understand if anything made him tick besides politics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for history buffs, August 9, 2013
This review is from: James Madison (Hardcover)
Newest book on topic used in a library book club covering the American Presidents in chronological order. We like this author's writing style.

James Madison
James Madison by Richard Brookhiser (Hardcover - September 27, 2011)
Used & New from: $13.05