5.0 out of 5 stars Meals in Minutes or "jamie's 30-minute meals"
A new cookbook from Jamie Oliver arrived today. A collection of 50 meals, spread over 288 pages with not just a few, but a ton of pictures and spreads. The images are beautiful photographic art work, and often they aim to illustrate either ideas for presentation or preparation of the featured meals. Essentially you buy a collection of round about 150 recipes, nicely...
Published on October 4, 2011 by Fretwurst

2.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, intriguing, and USELESS
I love a good cookbook. I love a good recipe. Part of why I explore cookbooks is to discover recipes I can use again and again -- new members of an evolving ensemble. So I was excited to receive this acclaimed book by Jamie Oliver, since one of the constraints I have as a cook is time. Busy job. Busy family. Not more than 30 minutes usually to get things made, and usually...
Published 18 months ago by Andrew Kent

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Meals in Minutes, July 29, 2012
This review is from: Jamie Oliver's Meals in Minutes: A Revolutionary Approach to Cooking Good Food Fast (Hardcover)
I love these recipes, they are as quick as he says although I think cleanup is a lot longer but I do not care as the results are really good. For most years of bringing up my family I have cooked because I had to, but now it's a pleasure to cook some of these recipes because I want to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, May 23, 2012
I grabbed this book at the local library when I saw it - I love Jaime Oliver! - and after glancing through it I had a long list of dishes I wanted to try, which rarely happens. We have made 2 dishes in the last week, and everyone loved both of them. I can't wait to make more, and will be buying my own copy of the book. Jaime has also convinced me to buy a food processor (what, am I too lazy to chop an onion?) as I can see already how quickly things will go when you get into the rhythm he sets. I love that he has matched up specific side dishes in meals, but they also are so good on their own, I am sure we will be mixing and matching. Jaime does mix up the instructions, telling you how to make the whole meal AT ONCE, but separates each dishes' instructions out by paragraph, so you can easily just follow the directions for one part of it. The pictures are beautiful - I really like knowing what a dish is supposed to look like, and it gives some amazing serving ideas. Totally recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cookbook!, November 28, 2011
My nieces love Jamie Oliver and this cookbook is terrific for busy, working mothers. Easy instructions and interesting and fun recipes.

3.0 out of 5 stars He's got the better books, December 2, 2011
I like Jamie Oliver. His recipes come out fantastic most of the time. I also like the way he writes. This book must be great for those who really never cooks, and are bad at multi tasks. He shows recipes in a page how to make 1 main dish and side and desert. If you want to make only one thing from a page, it is difficult to follow the recipe. Moreover, Jamie Oliver usually adds the little story behind the dish which I like, but this book doesn't have anything like that. I was disappointed a bit.

Well, I borrowed the book from a library, and will not purchase it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed the way I cook, for life., January 18, 2013
I highly highly highly recommend Jamie Oliver's 30 minute meals (I think it was published as 'meals in minutes' in the USA). It changed my life, and single handedly made me a better day to day cook. Forget soufles - I wanted practical fast delicious meals that would impress my friends/significant other & taught me how to improve my cooking skills in the process, and that is 100% what I got.

It is a cookbook yes, but the way the recipes are written is unlike any other cookbook you've probably encountered. Each recipe consists of a main, side and desert (more or less) - and the recipes instruct you chronologically each step so you are preparing all three parts at the same time. The meals are delicious, and impressive. They are diverse, and well rounded.

He also did a tv show, called 30 minute meals, and he covered each one of the recipes in that book. The book is also available as an e-book.
Step 1. Download the ebook from the app store / purchase the hard cover book.
Step 2. Down load the tv show / purchase the dvd.
Watch then read. See him do the techniques.

What is sauté? Now you know IN THE CONTEXT OF YOUR RECIPE.

Prepare to have the way you cook, changed forever.

Side notes/disclaimers :
the book does require a kitchen set up that is quite comprehensive - you do need a food processor/liquidiser. You do need a few different sizes of pots/pans - some that are oven proof. He outlines his kitchen set up at the start of the book, but don't think you can cut a corner by not having these things. You will do the reverse.

these recipes are not frugal. Alot feature things such as fresh fruits, fresh herbs, cured meats, dried imported mushrooms, other delicatessen type things. Not all do, but don't attempt this trying to save money. Between fleshing out your kitchen set up and buying ingredients you've never used before (fennel seeds, anyone?) - you won't.

These are not weight loss recipes. While they feature loads of fresh veg, meat, fruit etc - they do use full cream, oils, bacon, cured meats etc.

The 30 minute part is a little open ended. It won't take you 30 minutes the first time you cook this meal. You must have all your utensils out first also. 30 minutes, Probably not even the second time. But once you stream lined the process, know what your doing, what comes next, I promise you 30 minutes is achievable. Focus on the perspective that this same meal, irrespective of how long it took you - would have taken up to three times as long had you not been learning how to stream line your cooking techniques in the process.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cookbook, March 6, 2012
Lamia (Oregon, USA) - See all my reviews
The layout and ideas of this cookbook are original and delicious looking while still being accessible. He gives you whole meal ideas and tells you how to plan the cooking time so that everything is done together and fast. Plus, each individual dish looks great on its own so you can pick and choose. There is hardly anything in here I can't see myself making.

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't go wrong with this cook book, January 17, 2012
This is the best cook book I have purchased for myself in a long time. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. The meals he puts together are absolutely fabulous. The ingredients of each dish compliment one another. I am actually trying new foods I have never even wanted to try thanks to Jamie. He does not disappoint with what he brings to the table. His techniques are new to me but so simple. I can't believe I have wasted so much time preparing foods the hard way. My teenage boys who prefer frozen pizza most days have tried and enjoyed these recipes. The desserts are just the icing on the cake at the end of the meal. They are the perfect touch at the end of them meal. Part of their appeal is knowing that as good as they taste it should have taken you much longer to prepare the dish than it actually did. I have not tried all the recipes. I don't like fish but I am trusting Jamie and pressing forward to expand my narrow repertoire of tastes to the limits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for the intrepid beginner, January 16, 2012
I sneakily took this away from my better-than-me-chef boyfriend and have made two meals a week from it since Christmas. I've not cooked at this level before, but am good with basics. I found this book helps you develop chef skills without the time you'd think it takes to learn them. I did spend more than 30 minutes on every meal, but I think with practice, it's feasible.

The best part of the layout is the time it saves preparing what to cook and picking it up. I punch the ingredient lists into my cell phone Notes App with page number and meal name as the title. Now, if I want to make Piri-Piri chicken, I just open my phone at the grocery store for the list of ingredients. I've even put down costs of meals on some lists.

FYI, many run about $50 for meals for 6 - wine not included.

Really loved the salad dressing that goes with the Mac and Cauliflower meal.

It put the fun back in cooking for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars great simple recipes, December 28, 2011
I gave this cook book to a friend who is a beginner cook and he loves it . I also bought the American version Jamies Food Revolution for myself in the USA (the only difference is in the measurements , Metric or American,)
I have made the pot-roast meatloaf which was delicious but Jamies recipe for vanilla cheesecake with a raspberry topping was disappointing, the filling is not baked and is just cheese and cream and is rather slimy ! Apart from that the cookbook is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant!, March 16, 2012
I'm not the biggest Jamie Oliver fan (even though I'm a Brit)...but respect where respect is due! I was introduced to this book over the Christmas holiday's while staying with family. We prepared and ate several of the dishes from this book and they were DELICIOUS! More importantly they were EASY and QUICK to make.

The book starts with the basics - what equipment you need. Nothing too fancy but he does recommend a food processor and a microwave (believe it or not). Still, as he points out, you could buy ALL the equipment needed for only a few hundred bucks (on a budget) and end up with a well-equipped kitchen. I'm sure most people will already own the majority of the recommended items.

The main section of the book describes the meals. And they are full meals not just a series of dishes. Often there is a starter, a main course AND a desert! Of course, you can simply cherry-pick the individual dishes if you wish.

I was interested to see that the UK version of this book is called "Jamie's 30 minute meals". I'm not convinced you could truly get these meals on the table within 30 minutes of walking into the kitchen... Maybe if you had all the ingredients laid out and measured and you had prepared the meal several times that the recipe was committed to memory.... I wonder if the publisher changed the name in the US market for fear of litigation!! In all seriousness, the whole POINT of the book is SPEED and EFFICIENCY. The various steps for preparing the dishes are interwoven. You'll prepare one thing, get it in the oven, work on something else, come back to the dish in the oven. It makes you feel like a pro!!

The other big difference between the US version and the UK version is that all of the weights and measures have been converted to the US system (pounds, ounces, cups) - the UK is now almost completely metric. Also, certain ingredients have been "translated" from the Queen's English (God Bless you Ma'am) into American English - the various types of cream is an example here.

Anyway - to sum up, this book is ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT (a famous Jamie declaration) - and comes highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›