5.0 out of 5 stars Quintessential Jamie - substantial and fun
Published on November 14, 2011 by Marianne

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful photos, but lacking in recipes
Published 20 months ago by C. Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Quintessential Jamie - substantial and fun, November 14, 2011
This review is from: Jamie's Great Britain (Hardcover)
Jamie's Great Britain is jam-packed with interesting takes on British dishes both familliar (Toad-in-the-Hole, Fish Pie, Victoria Sponge, Scotch Eggs, Yorkshire pud) and esoteric or eccentric (Welsh Surf & Turf of lamb and lobster, White Pepper Skate, Roast Quail Skewers with Celeriac & Fennel, Oysters Three Ways) plus some nostalgic (St Clement's Cake, Retro Arctic Roll, Trifle).

Many local specialties are represented, such as Cornish Pasties, Cranachan, Welsh Cakes, "King of Mash" Irish Champ, and Clootie Dumpling, all with a twist or two. Afternoon tea and cricket matches get a look-in with Earl Grey Tea Loaf, Eccles Cakes and some interesting variations on shortbread (lemon thyme-vanilla, lavender & honey). And there are introductions to local folks with their own small businesses, such as Wilkins Cider, Westcombe Cheddar, Arbroath Smokies and Mark's Bread. Some nice condiments and menu suggestions, too.

Jamie talks about the many cultural influences on British cooking and tosses a bit of history in with some of these dishes. There's a visit to the Lea & Perrins factory, for instance, and cooking with the Yemeni community of Cardiff. Add an unobtrusive undercurrent of sustainability - the reader is gently reminded that in the UK, certain less familliar fish like coley or gurnard taste wonderful in place of scarce cod, and prawns should be responsibly sourced; allotments are celebrated with photos and recipes.

Lots of nice salads, soups, veg, Sunday roasts, scrummy puds, a chapter on the seaside and a chapter on "wild food" i.e. game and foraging, plus my favourite, a chapter on breakfasts. This is a UK cookbook and all measurements are to UK standards - if cooking in the USA you'll need to translate them to US standards. That said, ingredients tend to be for the most part readily obtainable and not fancy, and neither are most of the recipes, which are conversational in tone; it's the combinations, presentation, and enthusiasm that set Jamie apart. This book is big and lavishly photographed, with loads of straightforward recipes (almost 400 pages, 2 pages to a recipe), cheerful, chatty, inspirational and fun. Jamie is on form.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jamie's Great Britain, June 13, 2012
This review is from: Jamie's Great Britain (Hardcover)
This book has amazing color photos of the finished recipe presentations. In many instances a brief history of the dish's origin is included. The recipes are authentic traditional British fare and are splendidly prepared with exacting instructions. A must have for any serious chef's library.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful photos, but lacking in recipes, November 8, 2012
This review is from: Jamie's Great Britain (Hardcover)
I check out new cookbooks from the library before I commit to buying one (something I wish I had done years ago as my collection is huge now). This book caught my eye and I have always enjoyed watching Mr. Oliver on cooking shows. He has great enthusiasm and happiness. While I did enjoy looking through the beautiful photos of some scenes of Great Britain, and reading about things like Jamie growing up in a pub, I didn't enjoy this cookbook. I didn't come across any recipes I would like to try, and I was distracted by things in the list of ingredients calling for "knobs" of butter. And I don't feel like some of the recipe had enough detail in them, and would have been hard to pull off.

5.0 out of 5 stars We love this book, December 21, 2011
This review is from: Jamie's Great Britain (Hardcover)
My mama and I already love Jamie Oliver, and I got her this book for Christmas. I'd never seen it before, and I wasn't quite sure how practical it would be, but we both love it! We've already made some stuff from it, and we even enjoy just reading it. How often is it that you like to just read a cookbook?

4.0 out of 5 stars Book, February 3, 2013
TILII (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jamie's Great Britain (Hardcover)
It's a book. What else can anybody say about a thing that is legible or not? matter of taste, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chef Oliver Brings Americans A Brilliant Home Cookery Book., December 25, 2011
cafeaulait "pariscroissant" (Hayes, Va. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jamie's Great Britain (Hardcover)
When this Lovely arrived, the Cover was upside down!Hunny fixed it for me.The "Snaps" of the Foods are Calling Our Names.Chef has complied a Grand Book of Everything Imaginable to Start British Cookery Courses.A Glorious 392 pages, not including snaps for Recipes and People. Most is in Metric. Some,not much is Imperial. A "Knob" of Butter is just over a Tablespoon.Even A "V" for those whom are Vegetarian Inclined or simply do not Desire Animal Protein.So much Nostalgia is included, with Her Magesty and the Duke of Ediburgh. Chef Oliver has given Us Insight into His World and is Most Efficient.Crumpets, to Champ. "Sprouts" for Christmas. {Brussel Sprouts over in America}. "Puddings",aka, Cakes. Yet,the more Hunny and I use Metric the Better the End Results of Cooking. We have High Humidity here and makes a Huge Difference. Wish could list All Included,tho' Please Trust Me, I Do Not Lie. A Simply Lovely British Cookery Book by One of Our Favourite Authors.

Jamie's Great Britain
Jamie's Great Britain by Jamie Oliver (Hardcover - September 29, 2011)
Used & New from: $9.58