5.0 out of 5 stars Jansport is the best
A word about Jansport.

Published on March 16, 2010 by C. Chou

3.0 out of 5 stars Jansport Merit
I purchased this to bring with me on a ferry while commuting back and forth to an island every day, and from the ferry to and from my construction site.

Published on April 22, 2010 by AJP

3.0 out of 5 stars Jansport Merit, April 22, 2010
AJP (Eastern MA) - See all my reviews

Some positive aspects are the straps are comfortable, with plenty of adjustment for a man my size of 200lbs, and feel strong at the top seam. The back of the bag is comfortable against my back also. It has a small side zippered pocket for things as keys or boat tickets. It was the largest backpack, and it does have quite a bit of space. There is one side net pocket that a Gatorade bottle fits in. The laptop slot inside is a nice touch, but the securing strap for it should be adjustable to keep smaller laptops tightly secured- if you have a 13 inch, it will flop around a bit.

Some negative issues I found are the bottom of the back does not have an extra layer of nylon, or a thicker layer to begin with, so any surface other than a desk will prematurely ware the bottom away. As many people have complained of, the zippers are terrible at catching on the weather flap, or nylon fabric that extends over the zipper- really inconvenient when I'm trying to get into and out of my bag quickly. Compared to my LLBean rucksack, the fabric does not have a weather-resistant membrane inside, so I anticipate the fabric getting soaked in a downpour, allowing the contents to be exposed to moisture. I also would like to have had the nylon thicker than it is.

Overall, it is a good bag for books and folders, and for use in an academic and nonviolent environment. It is not designed for a hostile atmosphere, where subjected to unconventional conditions. For the price, I'm not so sure I would have purchased it had I found it in a store where I could examine it further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jansport is the best, March 16, 2010
A word about Jansport.

I bought this to replace a pack I had since 98. That pack has been with me all over the world and was solid until recently when one of the plastic locks on shoulder straps broke. While I bought this one to go with me on a recent trip I sent my old pack back to Jansport to get it fixed. Per their life-time warranty, I got my old travel buddy back with not one new plastic lock but two! With this service, I have decided to stick with Jansport forever.

This pack was as close to the one I originally had as I could find. I like the laptop sleeve, the side net pocket, and the small pocket zipped pocket on the side of the top pouch.

This thing is going to be a trooper too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what the daughter ordered, May 1, 2010
I purchased this backpack for my daughter only after many failed attempts finding anything similar at several retail stores.

This seems to be one of the very few that actually fits a 17 inch laptop. When you add her books and such there's still plenty of room for other "stuff". Great selection of colors too. Even with shipping charges it was still less expensive than others we've seen. She loves all the pockets for games and her phone and lets face it, college students accumulate lots of "stuff". The quality was impressive to me also.

She's very pleased and therefore so am I! Thanks!

RJ

3.0 out of 5 stars Less Than Quality for Jansport, August 14, 2009
I've had my old Jansport backpack for about 5 years and until the zipper broke a few months ago it always held everything and had all the necessary pockets. So now that I need a new backpack that will hold my new 17inch Dell Studio laptop (which is larger than your avg. 17inch esp. if it's a Mac) I decided to try the Merit.
My laptop fit into the compartment easily, and as expected, there was still an ample amount of room left for my other supplies. Also, the quantity and variety of pockets in this backpack is really great. However, every time I went to zip or unzip one, the zipper takes some extra fidgeting to go all the way. Take away a smooth entry and I basically give up. Another low point for the Merit is the quality of the fabric. Unlike my old one, this one is polyester and it is so loud when it moves around. I have a feeling with the zipper issue and poor fabric, this backpack won't hold up as long as a product I would expect from Jansport.

4.0 out of 5 stars Plenty Of Space, December 18, 2009
I use this product for school, traveling, and camping. I live in WI but my family is in PA so I like a bag to carry all of my things. Im in school for geology so I take it camping/hiking. The only thing is I wish it had another mesh pocket on the other side, a hook to hang my camera on, and I wish the straps to hold the compartments close together latched with a clip instead of tightening like a seatbelt. Otherwise, the bookbag is great--it has plenty of space for different things. The bottom front pocket has pen holders, and a small pouch for ipod/cellphone. The laptop sleeve holds my Dell 1545- 15.6" with some extra room to spare. I really like the color (Blue Kinfs Plaid). The zippers are kind of hard to open because they get stuck on the flaps that cover them, but I just keeps the flaps folded up. The fabric seperating the compartments isn't as sturdy as Jansport used to make, but its still a good quality bookbag. I hope it lasts me a LONG time!! My wife is in medical school so she has alot of books so she has one also. I rated a 4 because of how Jansport changed the fabric. We were trying to decide between this bag and the Big Student bag, but since this has 2700 cu in VS 2100, we went with the bigger one.

5.0 out of 5 stars large, sturdy... it's jansport., April 28, 2010
Mike Lewis (Chula Vista, CA) - See all my reviews
I love this backpack and it seems to be holding up great. It is comfortable to wear even when weighed down, but is a bit funny when I don't have much to carry since it is a very large bag. The small pockets in front are great for my calculator, pens, etc. If you are considering it, do it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Backpack, February 18, 2011
Love this backpack! I am a college student so I have tons of stuff and this thing carries it all without stressing the zippers. I can easily fit my 17 inch laptop, all my books and notebooks, my gym bag and sneakers in here and still have room.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, May 9, 2009
I am very happy with this bag. It actually holds my 17" wide screen laptop and all my school books too. It does feel a little cheap feelings compared to other Jansport bags I have had in the past, but overall a good back pack. Not to mention the design is pretty cool!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jansport Backpack, October 18, 2009
Alice Lee (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
Great backpack, lots of space, good for carrying a lot of books and other school supplies. Good for high school students.

4.0 out of 5 stars Roomy enough to fit everything you need!, August 21, 2009
I have owned JanSport bags before, but nothing like this bag.
It has TONS upon TONS of space. I could put things in all of the pockets and it even comes with a section for a laptop! It made my life a whole lot better during school, because I carry around a lot of stuff.

It, however, isn't a good bag to bring through security checkpoints in airports. I got stopped multiple times by security (due to roomyness of the backpack's interior), but it didn't matter. I had all of the things I need in that bag to my airplane ride go faster!

Overall, it gets 4 stars for me!