Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts for Her  Fine Art Deals Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now BGG

on October 28, 2013
I used Jansport throughout college and has, without a doubt, been the best investment for a Strong/Sturdy backpack that you would ever need. I went to undergraduate school and Medical School, and MANY times I carried a lot of books and the Jansport backpack was the Best at carrying heavy loads. It is not made for the laptop, specifically, yet can carry one without a problem. It does not have a special sleeve for the laptop, yet can carry everything, including a laptop.

The dimensions are not what Amazon has provided us with, yet here are the true dimensions for the 'Jansport BIG Student Backpack':

Product Features:

Lifetime Warranty

S-Curve shoulder straps
Two large main compartments for versatile storage
Front gear pocket with audio electronics organizer
Quick-find cell phone pocket on the top of front side
Stash pocket with expandable pleats on lower front side
Fully padded back panel for cushioning comfort

Detailed Product Description:

The Big Student is a durable, ergonomically-designed bag with a fully padded back panel and padded shoulder straps.

Product Specifications Size:

Large Dimensions: 17.5" x 13" x 10.12"

Weight: 10 oz

Capacity: 2100 cu. in.

Material: 600 Denier Poly

Warranty: Lifetime

Linear Inches: 40.62"

The Jansport Backpack products are GREAT! Zippers are Heavy Duty. I use small locks where the zippers meet, because the end of the zippers have little holes that allow small locks to lock the zippers. Almost all backpacks do Not have that feature. It is water-resistant. I would not submerge it in water to see if it is really waterproof, yet for almost anybody's needs it will keep everything dry inside of it. Students and Campers will find lots of room for things inside of it.

If anything goes wrong, just get in touch with Jansport, they will be more than helpful, considering it has a Lifetime guarantee, and Jansport has been around for a very long time.

Remember, it is not padded inside of it (for example, a padded sleeve for a laptop). Yet, there is padding for your back when you use the backpack. The shoulder straps are comfortable and adjustable.

GREAT price on Amazon, and I looked around! With Amazon's return policy, it is well worth a try, because you can always return it, For Free!
1,309 of 1,411 people found the following review helpful
on May 14, 2010
This video shows you how many books I fit in my backpack!
5656 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2005
Something I didn't know when I ordered this online: The pocket behind the Jansport logo has inner pockets for pens, phone, calculator, small book, rocks, old socks... whatever you want. My other Jansport had the bottomless pit of pockets that was a nightmare to dig through to find a pen or change for that horrible Starbuck's coffee I keep buying.

The straps are thick and harder than the previous Jansport straps. ALMOST too stiff, but they should soften up with use. The nice part about them is that 65 pounds (of books) with these S-shaped straps doesn't feel as bad as it did with my other straight Jansport straps.

The "Chocolate Cherry" color is realy burgundy, or better yet, a nice cabernet. I don't know about the other colors, but Jansport is pretty good about the color in the picture matching the product.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2006
I am very happy with my purchase of this backpack. The color is great, and it has plenty of compartments but not so many that you don't know what to put in them. I especially like the mesh holder on the side, I put my water bottle in there so I don't have to carry it around. I'm a graduate student so I have a lot of materials I have to lug around, and this backpack is perfect for it. The straps are very sturdy and don't cut into my shoulders. It is very comfortable to wear.
on August 15, 2011
I used JanSport backpacks for years when I was a student and was always happy with them, so I had no issue with ordering this bag for my niece to use in the current school year. She wanted the zebra stripes and we could only find it here on Amazon. Overall the bag is well made. The color separation between the white and black is sharp with no bleeding. The fabric is heavy and appears to be water resistant, though this has not be put to the test. The zippers and pulls are purple and are well sewn. The shoulder straps seem well padded and secured to the bag. There are plenty of pockets inside the bag and a mesh holder on the outside for a water bottle. My issue is with the bottom of the bag. When I opened the two main compartments I could see daylight. There is only a single layer of fabric with no reinforcement inside or out for the bottom of the backpack. (See the images I added to the product photos JanSport Big Student Classics Series Daypack.) To help support the weight of the books, I added an insert cut out of heavy cardboard to the bottom of the largest compartment. For the price I paid and the fact the bag is a JanSport, I expected more. I have given the backpack three stars for now, pending on how it holds up though the school year.
review image review image review image review image
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2007
I have ridiculously large books and a half hour walk to and from the train station each day. Unlike every other backpack I've tried, the straps of this one have yet to start ripping or fraying apart from the bag. The only feature I miss is a buckle connecting the two straps across the front of the chest, so they don't pull apart at the shoulders. However, the bag is heavy-duty and roomy, and I'm easily able to fit my laptop, Con Law book (maybe the largest book ever made), Crim Law book (2nd largest ever), and pocket dictionary. Overall, if you can get as good a price as I paid for it, I would recommend it to any student or other user...
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon January 19, 2010
I have been a Jansport Junkie since I was in High school (Many years ago). I remember begging my mom for the black backpack with that tapestry looking strip across the front. I was lucky enough that she bought it for me and thanks to their lifetime warrenty (it has been replaced for free 3 times now) I still have that backpack and it functions as my always packed bathroom travel bag.

So I decided to go back to school to get a second major and didn't want to unpack my bathroom bag. I began hunting for a Jansport. I ordered this bag in the Tan color with the pink zippers. I LOVE it. First of all it came with that wonderful tag that says "Lifetime warrenty on craftsmanship," second, it's larger and much more comfortable them my circa 1993 version.

There are WAY more pockets then the old ones had. Right now in the large main pocket I have a Precalculus book, Chemistry Book, Microbiology book, and chemistry Student guide. In the second main pocket (the bulk of the packpack is separated into two parts) I have 3 spiral notebooks, 2 composition books, a TI Calculator, and a pair of lab goggles. In the front pouch I have two full boxes of pencils, one box of pens, various items from my purse and two packs of gum. Then I found two more pockets AND a little webbed thingy on the side for holding a bottle of water. Also in the front pouch is a little pocket made just for cell phones - nice touch. I still have plenty of room for adding more crap should I want to... but I don't think I could lift it then.

The whole exterior is made in that standard high test canvas that makes Jansport bags last forever. The inside separator between the two large pockets may be the first thing that goes - it's a much flimsier material.

Final verdict - it holds everything I need it to hold, has surprisingly comfortable straps, and appears very durable. Highly recommended for High school, college, weekend overnight bag, or laptop bag. I do not recommend it for little ones as my 8 year old put it on and it almost swallowed him.

EDIT- I have just ordered 2 more of these - one for each of my stepsons. The bag has made it through almost a whole college semester with nary a scuff. I love this bag. I now have one in this black and white spastic mishmash color that matches my youngest's bike, and the one with the lions on it (looks like old heraldry) they are all shaped exactly the same and made just as durable.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 11, 2005
I have been wearing out book bags quickly in college. This bag is great for my heavy books and clutter organizing. There are lots of pockets and lots of space. It has been a life saver.
on January 7, 2007
This is a good backpack. It is very sturdy. I got it for my high school son because he ripped through his first backpack for the year in less than a week. We paid about the same for that backpack as we did for this JanSport backpack. He has had it now for a couple of months and his holding together just fine. When he first got the backpack he said the shoulder pads were very hard but now he says they don't bother him anymore. Maybe he has broken them in or just gotten use to them. If you are looking for a good and roomy no frills backpack for school, this one has worked out great for my son. I had a JanSport years ago when I was in college and I remember it being a good choice back then too. This Big Student Backpack is a great choice for the money.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 29, 2005
The straps on this backpack are very wide and very stiff. I find this uncomfortable. It might work better for somewone with a larger body, but I think that women and children would find the straps very uncomfortable.

On the other hand, the backpack seems to be made with quality materials. The color is pretty.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse