5.0 out of 5 stars Don't get it just because of the laptop slot
Published on September 7, 2011 by Enrique Perez

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy!!
Published 8 months ago by Athena

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't get it just because of the laptop slot, September 7, 2011
This review is from: JanSport Wasabi Backpack (Luggage)
This has to be the best backpack... EVER. Well, probably not, but for $35 bucks, it's a bet! I put my iPad, computer (15.4" macbook that doesn't fit in the laptop slot), 2 binders, 4 note books, 2 slim paperbacks (text books) and a hard cover. Now, that's not my load, I was just testing capacity. Don't buy for capacity, it's more of a storage convenience, the laptop slot is not padded as much as I would have wanted it to be, but everything else is great!
MY LOAD:
draft pencil in pencil slot (can't carry in pocket due to tip that can easily bend or break), two pens (shape fine), calculator, pulse clicker, iPad (SECOND FRONT POCKET)
Macbook (like 1 inch thick), 2 notebooks, small texts books. (MAIN)
BINDER (like 3 inches thick), slim binder (under 1 inch)

It's a comfortable load, with the padding meant for the laptop, well, it's used for my back. Hell, I have my laptop in one of the foam cases anyway... you know, in case I get hit by a car or something.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Bookbag, September 2, 2011
This review is from: JanSport Wasabi Backpack (Luggage)
I love my bookbag. I haven't had any problems with it so far. I will second that the laptop pocket doesn't have a lot of padding. My laptop is a 15.7" so it doesn't fit in the pocket anyway (I just use a laptop pocket and slip it in my bag), so I use it for my main binder. I can fit three giant college books and my laptop into the main compartment, and in the laptop pocket I put my 1.5" main binder, tons of pens pencils and a couple smaller notebooks in the outer pocket, and in the outer most pocket, I use it as a snack pocket, in addition to some other random items, since I am constantly in class or studying. There is also a top pocket up near the back of your neck, I think it's the perfect pocket for wallet, cell phone, keys, and ipod. I was a little hesitant at first in buying the bookbag offline, due to size constraints I have had in the past with other bookbags, but this is the perfect bookbag for me and I recommend it for Commuter Students.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy!!, March 4, 2014
This review is from: JanSport Wasabi Backpack (Luggage)
I bought this bag on Jan 21st. One of the straps is already broken and the other looks like it is not that far off. What good is a backpack that lasts for a month and a half? Unfortunately for me, I am unable to return it for a replacement or money back because the return window for the product expired on Feb 24th. I am very DISAPPOINTED. I wish I had paid more attention the one-star reviews. What a waste of money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable and Long-Lasting, November 15, 2011
This review is from: JanSport Wasabi Backpack (Luggage)
I have abused my wasabi backpack for 4 years now. I've carried heavy loads and over loaded this backpack everyday that I've been in school. Sadly, it is developing a small tear at the bottom. But after all it's been through, I say that this is the best backpack I ever owned. It can carry so much stuff and stays durable for a long time. I probably overused this bag but under normal conditions, it can last for much longer. i am definitely buying a new wasabi bag.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thinner and cheaper than other Jansport bags we've had, April 13, 2012
This review is from: JanSport Wasabi Backpack (Luggage)
I bought this bag for our daughter, who will be going off to college in the fall. We've had several Jansport backpacks over the years and they have held up really well despite heavy books and tween boys. We would rather pay more for a Jansport than two cheaper ones from Walmart that won't last the school year.

I was a little taken aback when this backpack arrived today. It's got all the familiar Jansport details - a quality zipper, a top handle, padded shoulder straps, a mesh water bottle pocket, a small zipper on top for ipod headphones, and a side zipper for a laptop. But the material is stiff and thin and I wonder if it will last. Our other Jansport backpacks were made of much thicker, more flexible fabric. I was also sad to see that this backpack is made in China.

Jansport offers a lifetime guarantee on their backpacks, but only for defects in workmanship. Straps tearing or seams splitting because of books inside or from tossing it into a bus seat aren't covered.

I'm giving this backpack four stars because it's a great size, has great features, and because of our past experience with Jansport products. I'll adjust the stars up or down after she's had a chance to use it and lets me know how it holds up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Backpack Overall, except one thing, November 23, 2011
This review is from: JanSport Wasabi Backpack (Luggage)
Ordered this Jansport Backpack after my old one was starting to fall apart after nearly 5 years of abuse. Yes, that backpack got me throughout high school, and I have to say that one was really sturdy. I was searching for a backpack that could fit a laptop along with textbooks. I was able to fit 4 textbooks, 2 binder/folders, 2-3 little notebooks, and my laptop. The middle component could be handy for something like an iPad, or a little notebook perhaps. And there is a little pocket at the very top that could be useful for really little things. The front component is a great slot for things like wallets, keys, phone, etc.

Just a note to all, although it says it has a dedicated 15 inch laptop sleeve, this doesn't fit a 15 inch laptop easily. The laptop slot is a side zipper behind the main component pocket. Mine is 15.6 inch, to be more precise, and I had a hard time fitting it in at first. But it definitely is possible to fit a 15 inch laptop in the laptop component, by first inserting it vertically, then turning it horizontally slowly. It takes a little time, but it can definitely fit. I prefer to put the folders/binders in the laptop slot, and just put the laptop in the main component. Not what I expected, as I expected a labtop slot inside the main component with a sleeve separating it from the rest. But it still fits smaller laptops.

Overall it's a great backpack, looks pretty sturdy, and felt comfortable enough to go through a whole day. The only disappointment was the laptop slot, not what I was expecting, but I'm not very picky about backpacks, and it gets the job done, so that one laptop slot was not enough for me to lower it to 4 stars. If you don't really care about bringing a laptop, I absolutely recommend one.

5.0 out of 5 stars JanSport Loyal Customer, November 30, 2011
This review is from: JanSport Wasabi Backpack (Luggage)
My 8 year old 2 pocket JanSport was getting a little ragged and I wanted something a bit smaller with a laptop pocket. I don't take the wear on the old pack as a bad sign. I used it daily to haul around laptops (out lived 3 of them, one of which was 15lbs), their charges, laptop cooling mats, variety of computer mice, cameras, books, food, cloths, anything and everything I own that could fit into it. It's still in one piece, the zipper on the smaller pocket is pulling away from the fabric of the bag and the material is getting thin in the base of the main pocket but still doesn't have any holes. It's a well loved bag but I wanted more security and updated.

I started looking at the models they currently have out via their main website and looked around to see what the online retailers had for sale. One of the hardest things about bag shopping online seems to be the availability of pictures. One picture of the outside case really doesn't meet ideal of what the products primary purpose is of carrying and organizing stuff. So I started by searching based on aesthetics and provided information and really liked the "Wasabi" variant.

I liked the simple look and color scheme. It was going to be an upgrade in main pockets (3 + laptop cavity). It has the mesh net on the side for bottled drinks.

Actual hands on review:
Straps are comfortable. It has a full length zipper on the left hand side for the laptop cavity. My 11.6 inch netbook with neoprene sleeve is swallowed up with plenty of room to spare. The main pocket cavity fits my two giant text books with room to spare for another one plus notebooks. The smaller main cavity is spacious enough to hold smaller books and guides and contains my only gripe about this bag. The model I'm retiring had deep pen/pencil pockets so they wouldn't shake loose as well as a zipper compartment over the the biggest inline pocket, which was great for small items I didn't want mingling at the bottom of it's parent pocket. It's not the end of the world and I also have an entire 3rd pocket to squirrel stuff away in.

It feels durable and JanSport still stands by their lifetime guarantee so I'm sure it will last as long if not longer then my first beloved JanSport backpack.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good stylish pack for everyday use, January 31, 2013
Aaron Fox (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: JanSport Wasabi Backpack (Luggage)
I live in the city, and I needed a medium-size casual daypack that didn't give me the appearance that I was going on a hike in the woods. That means I didn't want it to be huge or have too many straps or compartments. This pack is great for what I needed. I don't use the laptop compartment because I don't carry a laptop around, but it's just a discreet zipper on the side, so I don't feel weird about not using it. Only complaint is that the zippers don't work very smoothly. They often get caught on the overlapping fabric. However, the zippers seem quite durable, which is an improvement over the Jansport packs that I remember from many years ago.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but there's a defect, October 16, 2013
This review is from: JanSport Wasabi Backpack (Luggage)
While I liked the backpack in the beginning, after a month of using it, the strap just broke!! I couldn't understand why because I don't carry much, just my iPad and 5 star notebook. The strap not only broke, it took my iPad too and cracked the screen in impact. I trusted the jansport brand and realized that they are no different from the off brand store backpacks. Amazon was great at fixing the issue, however, I don't think I will be purchasing anything from jansport anytime soon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good quality, September 30, 2013
This review is from: JanSport Wasabi Backpack (Luggage)
The shoulder strap broke off at the bottom after about a month of medium use. I'm highly disappointed in what I expected to be a long lasting backpack

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›