5.0 out of 5 stars Going strong after many years!, June 29, 2012
This review is from: Jansport Tulare Backpack (Sports)
I have the same model from five years ago that I bought and still use to this day. It's the go-to backpack to the gym, work and family day trip as it can hold quite a bit.

Construction:
Very sturdy. One of the sturdiest I've found physically checking the build inside out. I wanted to spend good money for something that will last and take the abuse. I do a lot of biking aside from going to the gym and just wanted something that carry everything. The other problem with most cheaper backpacks have small plastic zippers. These tend to go after few months if not break off or give you problems. Still to this day, the zipper on the Tulare has not given me any problems. Very solid.

Compartments:
Total of five compartments. The main compartment holds quite a bit. It will easily fit multiple books; if not change of clothes, towels and have enough room to carry days worth of stuff. The second compartment is perfect for your tablet or a laptop. One of the two small compartments (at least my 2006 model) has mesh zippers and places to hold pens and small items. The front pocket you see in the picture I usually use to put my bike tools and extra tubes.

Between the back and the largest compartment has a space (with zippers) to fit CamelBak or any other hydration pack. It can fit smaller (15" or so) laptop and a tablet as well. Because there's a comfortable padding on the back with metal backing there's more than enough support and won't feel like there's something hard pressed against your back.

The main back straps have what they call the AirCore with hard gel like insert that really makes carrying heavy items comfortable. For long walks and hiking, you have the small chest strap and also the waist straps to distribute the load. More comfortable than your traditional two-strap backpacks.

The two side mesh pockets can carry your keys and other items like water bottles. Though I've fit the large 32 oz water bottles just fine, I would recommend something slightly smaller and shorter. In either case it's a great way to store water during long hiking or when you want to access something quick like your cell phone and keys.

Comfort:
Very comfortable to wear and easy on your shoulders. And with the back's design, it doesn't feel hot during summer and keep airflow moving in between. If you're carrying heavy load, use the waist strap and the chest strap for better load distribution. Hugs your back while without that annoying bounce while walking on a trail. Emptied, the backpack weighs little over a pound. Not heavy at all. The shoulder padding seem to really make a big difference. It's not your ordinary foam padding and my backpack hasn't degraded in terms of the construction.

Overall:
Very satisfied with the purchase. When something that last many years it's well worth the price. Especially if you're active and know that the backpack will take abuse as well as needing to carry a heavy load or need multiple compartments then this is your backpack. It won't give you any problems even with extra straps and multiple compartments that sometime I even lose things inside.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect size, great fit, July 27, 2012
This review is from: Jansport Tulare Backpack (Sports)
I was looking for a comfortable, medium sized backpack to carry back and forth to work sometimes. This is perfect not only for that, but for outdoor adventures with my kids as well. I like the two large pockets and the PC pouch in the back. The only problem with the large pockets is that the strap on the sides that you can use to compress the empty space does not come all the way disconnected. So if you want to put something really large in there, you have to be able to fit in past those straps. I carried a large VCR in this thing no problem (yea, I know, the 1980's called, they want their VCR back). The straps are comfy, the cross-chest strap is nice and you can adjust them up or down to fit your chest better. The small pocket on top is on the very top, right before the back of the pack, making it easier to get to if the backpack is on the floor on lying down. There are also plenty of small pockets/pouches in the front, but not too many so that you start to lose things.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good bag, February 2, 2013
This review is from: Jansport Tulare Backpack (Sports)
This is a great bag for school or for the trail. I use mine for both. It holds all my heavy school books and the zippers seem to be of high quality. My only gripe is the hole in the back pocket for the water bladder hose was just barely big enough for me to get the mouthpiece on my hose through.

Update: changed review from 4 to 5 star. After a year of every day use between school, work, and trail I couldn't be happier. Bought this because of jansport replacement policy since I never have a bag more than a year before the straps break or the fabric tears at the zipper since I tend to stuff them at school and with my 15.4" laptop (which fits comfortably in this bag). As of one year of being stuffed full of crap, dropped unceremoniously down ledges, and other senseless bag related crimes this bag is in flawless condition.... The straps aren't ripped, stretched, or frayed. all the zippers work like new. No stretched fabric or tears are apparent even near the zippers or bottom of the bag. Even the mesh drink pockets are not torn or the elastic broken after getting caught on things and having two water bottles shoved in each. This bag even looks great after the dust rain and sun soaked time. Absolutely worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Great for college students!, May 25, 2013
This review is from: Jansport Tulare Backpack (Sports)
Spend the extra money on this backpack right now, for it will save you money in the long run because you won't have to constantly buy new ones. I used to have a swissgear book bag which I carried my laptop in, but one of its straps completely tore apart after a couple months (~2) of use. So, I needed another backpack to carry my laptop and books; I'm in college, so I need something very durable and comfortable. This book bag was exactly that! I found it to be very well-built and able to carry a 5.8 lb, 15.6" laptop very well, along with a cooling pad. Moreover, it could also carry my notebooks, of which I have five 120 count, college ruled. The backpack also has two side pockets for water bottles, and a side sleeve in the front which can carry all your graphing calculator, writing utensils, protector, tissue, etc. (Point is, you can carry a lot in this bag without tearing the straps because they are reinforced so as not to break.) Also, there's a small sleeve at the top of the bag that can fit a couple of (I keep my batteries and wireless mouse in there.) All in all, this bag is a great investment for anybody who has a lot to carry and wants a durable backpack that'll last!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mochila, December 29, 2012
This review is from: Jansport Tulare Backpack (Sports)
Exelente mochila, tiene muchos bolsillos para organizar todo, lo unico que extraño es el gancho para el llavero, esta ya no lo tiene.

Jansport Tulare Backpack