5.0 out of 5 stars Muy Delicioso!, March 14, 2012
This review is from: Jane Butel's Best of Mexican Regional Recipes (Kindle Edition)
Jane Butel is pretty well known in the Southwest, both for her cooking school just a couple of miles from my daughter's home in New Mexico and for her PBS show, "Jane Butel's Southwest Kitchen." The recipes in Jane Butel's Best of Mexican Regional Recipes are without a doubt the "real deal" and most of them will be easily made, though those who live outside the Southwest may not be able to acquire Huitlacoche at any price and will likely have to order masa online.

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Mexican Cookbook, February 16, 2012
Kat (Greenville SC) - See all my reviews
A very informative book. The recipes look delicious plus it has in depth instructions for preparation, which is a rare find. I like Mexican food, but sometimes the instructions to prepare the dish can be confusing. Not so with this book. My first recipe to try will the the Tres Leches Cake. It looks fabulous. I highly recommend this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, Authentic, & Easy: Jane Does It Again!, October 15, 2009
C. Lee Banks (New Mexico, USA) - See all my reviews
Having been fortunate enough to live in Mexico for a short time, I was delighted to learn that renowned chef Jane Butel has gathered the best of her Mexican recipes. Not only are the preparation directions clearly written, but she has also simplified ingredients to those which are easy to locate. The Picadillo (Spicy Beef) and Sopa de Tortilla (Tortilla Soup) are old favorites, and I'm looking forward to trying Red Snapper Vera Cruz style. Thanks, Jane!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo for this exciting Mexican cookbook, March 14, 2012
Being from Texas and used to TexMex, I really found these recipes exciting. I've been to Mexico often and have eaten mole many times. I had no idea it would be so easy to make. I can't wait to serve it at a dinner party.

The different salsas all sound so delicious. The book is well written and has easy to follow directions. I will fix the Snapper Vera Cruz Style tomorrow night. It sounds so luscious.

I made the coconut flan and it took your breath away.

Tex Mex is good but these more authentic Mexican dishes will please any critic.

Get this book and treat your family and guests to some fine Mexican Cuisine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Book, GREAT recipes!, March 15, 2012
I must say that I really enjoyed this book! If you like Mexican food, this book is a must read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Add some variety to your Mexican cooking, May 4, 2012
This is a good collection that includes some more unusual Mexican recipes. It's well laid out and easy to follow, and a useful book if you're bored of cooking the same few dishes you get in most Mexican cookbooks. It's not the most extensive Mexican cookbook around - as it says, it's "the best of", not "the complete" - but even so, you're likely to find something new to experiment with. I'm familiar with most of the recipes in here, but I can't wait to try Roasted Corn Soup with Corn Truffles and the Mayan Roasted Vegetable Salsa at this weekend's Cinco de Mayo feast!

5.0 out of 5 stars REAL Mexican Recipes...not your "Fast Food" Mexican chow!, March 19, 2012
Honestly, I lived for years within miles of Mexico, so I have had
lots of excellent Mexican food. When I think of some of the foods
that are sold in restaurants as "Mexican" it makes me shiver...LOL
Really though, to be serious, I think Ms. Butel has a hit on her
hands here, true and very authentic recipes that run from -home made-
corn tortillas to a yummy "tres leches cake" recipe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just The Typical Recipes, March 14, 2012
I love Mexican food and it's probably my favorite cuisine. I have several Mexican cookbooks and most of them are basically just different versions of the same old recipes. Not that different versions are bad, but this book includes many recipes that I haven't even heard of before. They sound wonderful! I love it that Jane has simplified and used ingredients that aren't too exotic to find here in the US. I've already decided which recipes I'm trying first! Can't wait!

4.0 out of 5 stars Regional Mexican Recipes, December 2, 2014
This has some really good recipes in it and is 100% worth checking out. Most of the recipes are easy to do at home, they're pretty uncomplicated if you're used to making homemade Mexican, and even if you aren't, stick with what's simple and try them out 1 or 2 at a time.