Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more

on October 29, 2010
I've been using this cream for a little over a week and I have to say it is pretty amazing. It does what it says it will do so it is a good investment. This cream left my curls defined, shiny, and a little looser than normal (I have 3c/4a curls). The texture of the cream is VERY THICK (reminds of Elmer's glue but a tad bit thicker). It's not as moisturinzing as I would like it to be, hence why it gets 4 stars, but nevertheless it is a good product and worth trying. Also, a little goes a very long way so it will last for a long time. I personally recommend applying the cream to small sections that are soaking wet to work the product in and I diffuse from that point after 30 minutes of airdrying. People noticed a difference (good difference) when I started using this product. I love it and it smells nice as well.
on October 20, 2010
Very defined curls are the results from using The new Jane Carter Solution Curl Defining Cream. After shampooing Mandy's hair, we sprayed on the Revitalizing Leave In Conditioner, and a little of Jane's Wrap and Roll. On moderately wet hair we applied the Curl Definer in sections of hair (about a nickel sized amount to each section). She sat under warm dryer for about 10 mins then air dried the rest of the way. Her hair was very shiny, had a nice flexible "not crunchy" hold, and absolutely frzz free! We've used a few curl definers, and I must say that this one is definately an all in one product, giving you hold, shine, definition and moisture.
It looked like the creamy consistency of Miss Jessies Quick Curls. It was also tried on 4c texturized hair. Results were good, her hair was also very well moisturised and defined!!!!!!!!!!!
I definelty give this product 2 thumbs up!
review image review image review image review image review image
on January 22, 2012
After reading so many great reviews I thought this product would solve my hair shrinkage problems, so I hurried to get the product into my very wet hair. It does not work for kinky coiled hair, forget about defined curls. All I got was oily hair with a lot of shrinkage. I attempted a two strand twist on my hair and when I removed the twists, and sprayed the hair with water, the shrinkage returned. It is not made for tight coiled super thick and coarse hair types because 4b/4c hair does not have a natural loose curl pattern. I wish the company would have given more information on what hair types get the best results from the product. I emailed the company twice but so far have not received a response. I plan on giving the product two more attempts and if it works better I will update this review. However, since my hair is so coarse and thick when dry and wet, I don't believe the product will work as advertised for my hair type.

I did a second application of this product on clean, conditioned, wet hair, followed directions to the letter. I definitely don't like the smell, it reminds me of the old fashion lemon cold cream scent. Horrible use of fragrance. No change in the results from the first time, hair when dry was hard, slightly crunchy and had considerable shrinkage. To conclude, the JCS Curl Defining Cream is absolutely NOT for coarse textured 4b/4c hair types. Better to get a small size and try before spending money to get the 16oz pump jar which cost me $33 at Whole Foods.

I want to revisit this review because after I permanently shelved the JCS, I began using the Kinky Curly products and found that the gel products work better for my hair than the creams. I don't like the way JCS makes my hair feel when it is dry and the smell is too strong for me. I can get the defined curly look using Knot Today and Eco-Styler Gel and these products don't cause as much shrinkage as JCS and they definitely don't smell bad.
1010 comments|52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 9, 2013
i seriously eat, sleep, breathe this product. i have been natural for almost 2 years, i have a mixed batch of coarse, frizzy, thick curls (3c on the bottom and sides, 4a on top, and some 4b in parts) that are about 4-5 inches long (collar bone length when straight). this product makes my curls pattern look consistent throughout my head and i always get compliments about how my hair looks "extra curly" on days that i use the cream during wash outs. i do not use the shampoo or conditioner (i prefer paul mitchell auwapuhi line), but i apply Wen as a leave in (2-3 pumps) all over my head and then spritz some of the Jane Carter leave-in all over as well. from there, i part my hair into 4 large sections and starting from the back of my head, i divide each section into groups of 3. i detangle each subsection of 3 with a denman brush and apply a little less than a dime size to each. I do not comb it through, but rather cover each section from root to tip (to tame the frizz)and smooth it out with my finger tips, focusing on stretching the curls. i can immediately see a difference in how the curls spring into place. when complete, i usually blow dry all over for 90 seconds (i like big hair) and let it air dry out in the sun.

for everyone saying that the product did nothing for their hair, i recommend only using it on soaking wet hair (i keep a spray bottle on hand while working through my head) and taking your time with each section. at first it is time consuming, but with a few weeks you can get it down to a 20 minute process.

i have also used a hooded dryer after applying the product and did notice that you get more shine, but similar effects can be had from air drying or a quick black with the dryer.

let me know if you have any questions!
on November 9, 2012
I enjoy this product. It works well on my hair, however the picture they used to identify it is deceptive. The picture shown is of the 16 oz Curl Defining Cream; however this is the 6 oz. You can buy the 6oz for roughly 15 dollars at your local Target. Do not buy it here if you can buy it locally. You will pay 5 dollars more. That's very deceptive and I'm very disappointed in Amazon because of this.
on November 18, 2010
I order this product because I'm such a product junkie. I was actually quite impressed with the results, my hair was moisturized, it produced soft defined curls and it had the best sheen I have ever had in any product this far. A little of the product goes a long way, so don't use a lot. I gave it four stars because it did not elongate my curls, other than that it's a STAPLE product of mine now. Don't believe the bad reviews just try it for yourself..
on November 19, 2011
I've been natural for over two years. Needless to say, I've spent a bunch of money looking for the product that works with my hair. And I've finally found it!!! I generally wear my hair in twists or twist outs....and nothing has ever resulted in the look I was hoping for. Jane Carter Solution Curl Defining Cream is amazing!! Yes, it does elongate my hair. Yes, the twists hold for days and days...no fuzzing; no puffing. Just nice tight twists. I left the twists in for 3 days before doing a twist out. I can't believe how cute my hair looks!! No puffing up, no fuzzing; just pretty twists. My hair is softer than I can remember. And there is no product buildup. I try to wash my hair every 10 days, but my schedule got crazy and it was two weeks before I did a co-wash. I almosst hated to wash it; it looked and felt so good. It even keeps my scalp moisturized. Yes, it is expensive, but it takes very little product. I follow the instructions on the jar, but apply a small amount to the hair section as I twist it. I also applied a very small amount to the twist as I untwisted it. I have used no other product with CDC!! I'm probably a combination 4a/b hair type if you use Andre Walker's system. I know no product works for everyone; but after two years, I've finally found the one that works for me!!
on November 13, 2012
I have to admit, I am a bit of a product junkie. After trying Shea Moisture (2-3 stars), Kinky Curly (2-3 stars), and Mixed Chicks (1 star) I was really excited when I ran into a lady at work with natural hair that looked really defined and similar in texture to mine who told me about Jane Carter Solutions products. I purchased the shampoo, conditioner, curl defining cream, and the condition and sculpt. I was let down - AGAIN! No matter how much or how little of the product I used, I did not have the desired curl-defining results. Fortunately, the store where I purchased the products (NOT Target - they will not let you return opened beauty care products - product junkies beware!) allowed me to return them for a full refund. If you have type 4 hair, don't buy this stuff.
on April 28, 2015
I recently chopped off my hair and geared myself up to regain those natural coils. Let me tell you, this product does the trick, no need to apply gel as i see most of my sisters using on YouTube. I will definitely upgrade to the pump size once my fro grows longer.
on June 29, 2011
This product is by far the best product I have used so far, and I have a complete hair products store under my sink! This product has surpassed Miss Jessie's, Kinky Curly, and Curls Whipped Cream products. I have 3b/3c hair and it defines the curls and is a great moisturizer. I have used it as a wash-and-go product and also for a flat twist-out. The cream is not as thick as Curls Whipped Cream and doesn't keep your hair wet like the Kinky Curly Curling Custard. I don't particularly like any other Jane Carter products, but this one is definitely a keeper!