5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction for little scientists, September 13, 2008
This review is from: Janice VanCleave's Big Book of Play and Find Out Science Projects (Paperback)
This book has some very easy experiments for young children, most of which use very simple items found in the home. Basic scientific concepts are explored with directions and pictures for the little ones. There are both indoor and outdoor experiments. Most of the indoor ones would be most suitable for the kitchen or bathroom as they may involve liquids or food coloring. Overall, the projected level of interest would be PreK-grades 2nd-3rd, maybe 4th.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy ideas and good for all ages, August 23, 2009
We got this book from the library first; my 5 yr old spent all afternoon putting post-its on the experiments he wanted to try. I then ordered it, because there were so many he was interested in! They only take a few minutes, with household products. Even my 2 1/2 yr old was interested in participating! We purchased this book to give us some ideas of things we could do over the summer to keep my soon-to-be-first grader involved in science. We expanded on many of the ideas, and the kids are still talking about projects we did the first weeks! What a great book- we will be pulling it out on rainy days and during the long winter months as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite a bit of prep time., October 15, 2008
Roy C. Lindsey (Millbrook, AL USA) - See all my reviews
I liked the experiments in this book, and my girls (ages 4 and 5) loved them also, but I found that there was quite a bit of prep time and gathering of materials for the experiments. Most of the materials were easy to find. Bottom line - plan ahead. Do not wait until the kids are ready for an experiment to find the materials.

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought this for my mom, February 29, 2012
Valarie (Davison, MI, United States) - See all my reviews
I don't work with children but my mom is a teacher at a day care center. She is in charge of the 2 and 3 year old children and makes weekly lesson plans for the kids. She initially checked this book out at the library but after putting Post-It flags throughout the entire book and renewing it the maximum times allowed, I decided to buy it for her. She was delighted. I can't say for sure what she has used from it because I haven't read the book or observed her lessons but I will say that she knows kids better than anyone I've ever known. If she says it's a great book, it must be!

5.0 out of 5 stars Play Clay, July 17, 2011
I checked this book out at the library to review for possible homeschooling value and to see if there were any experiments appropriate for my 17 month old. We made clay today. :-) He was not able to help much with the making of it, but he really enjoyed playing with it. I plan to type the experiment so we can continue to make clay after I return the book. Looking at other experiments, I was overall impressed. I especially looking forward to Buckle Up, which teaches kids why it is important to wear a seat belt. Young children do learn best from hands on experiences and this book has a wonderful selection. This book is on my preschool/Kindergarten homeschool wishlist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price for a great tool, December 14, 2013
My wife and I both teach kindergarten and this will be a powerful resource to our teaching tool kit to help us continue to teach our students for years to come how to explore and manipulate their world. Thank you for a great deal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Simple Projects for the Early Years, July 1, 2013
We love this book of Science Projects! It is actually 3 books in one and is perfect for preK-2! (Maybe check the books ages recommendations as I'm not really good at that!)

ARRAY(0xd9541024)

Janice VanCleave's Big Book of Play and Find Out Science Projects
Janice VanCleave's Big Book of Play and Find Out Science Projects by Janice Pratt VanCleave (Paperback - March 30, 2007)
$19.95 $17.32
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.