Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed $5 Off Fire TV Stick Amazon Elements Sensitive Baby Wipes, Exclusive to Prime Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Now STEM Toys & Games

on March 2, 2009
I am a first time sewer and I wanted a solid machine below $400. I wanted something I could grow into, but something that wouldn't overwhelm me. I had gone online to research machines. I was actually considering the Brother CS6000I before I had even heard of the Janome 7330. At the time there were 97 reviews on Amazon for the Brother CS6000I and I read every one. I was concerned b/c the low rated Brother reviews and even many of the 4 and 5 star reviews complained about the machine's tension and a finicky bobbin. The last thing I wanted to deal with was a touchy machine. If you read the reviews, without looking at the stars, most of them talk about the machine's quirks. I started to wonder if the Brother was trying to be too far reaching for it's price point. I was also wondering why so many were willing to overlook this touchiness that they all mentioned.

I went to SewVacDirect.com and did an online "ask a consultant" thing. I asked the person about the Brother CS6000I and the person directed me to the Janome. I had never heard of Janome before, but the consultant said that the Janome was far more sturdy than the Brother and that it was very easy to use. Still unsure, I decided to go to a store to see the machines in person.

After seeing the Janome and the Brother in action, I came home with the Janome 7330. After seeing the two machines work, I did feel that the Janome was better made and more sturdy. I felt more confident in the Janome's ability to grow with me through the years and felt it was more of the work horse that I was looking for. Twenty minutes after opening the box I was sewing. I'd never touched a machine before and I was sewing! It was as easy to use as they had told me. No weird finicky tricks to learn; just a solid machine.

The 7330 is computerized. It has a good number of stitches, including 5 different overcast stitches, three different one-step button holes, a darning stitch, and good number of decorative stitches. It has a free arm that has been great for doing the small arm and leg holes on the children's clothing I've been making. It has a foot pedal, although you can also use it sans the pedal. It has an up/down button that "remembers" if you last made the needle stay down when you stopped stitching. It also has a reverse button and an automatic needle threader. It's very easy to wind the bobbin and you just pop open the little lid and drop it in the hole. Super easy!

The instruction manual is very easy to follow and it comes with an all purpose presser foot, a satin foot (great for sewing on buttons!), a button foot, and a zipper foot. It also comes with a seam ripper, some bobbins, a brush for cleaning, a screw driver, and some plastic rings that hold the spool of thread in place.

When I told my friends that I had purchased a Janome, all of them said it was a very good brand. I found out that is a Japanese company and Janome means "eye of the snake" as it was one of the pioneers of using a round bobbin instead of a long shuttle back in the 1920's. Janome was the first to make a computerized sewing machine in the 1970's. I'm including this information b/c if you've never heard of this brand before, it's not a fly by night. It's been around for awhile and it has a very good reputation with those who know it. I also found that Janome sponsors a DIY website, threadbanger.com, which has some really neat ways to be green by reusing, recycling, and reconstructing things.

In conclusion, go to a retailer and see for yourself. It's a solid machine!!
--------------
UPDATE

It has been a few years since I wrote this review and I am still pleased with the sewing machine. I take good care of it and clean it regularily; it hasn't needed any other maintenance or repair. My skills have grown and the machine is still a good fit.

To ward off future nasty-grams, I will tell you that I have not been paid to write my review! I bought my machine with my own money, did my own research, and it was a decent sized investment for me and my family. I received no compensation, freebies, or perks. My own excitement and my own excellent experience is what motivated me to write my review. As I said before, go try one and see if it's a good fit for you.
2626 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The Janome Magnolia 7330 is a "beginner's" sewing machine, according to some sewing forums, but my feeling is that it really is a workhorse that does most things an average sewist or quilter wants to do, and while it doesn't have all the features of a very expensive model, it delivers sturdy performance and enough bells and whistles to make it my new favorite "go-to" machine.

What it looks like:

The Magnolia line is an affordable line of machines including sergers. The 7330 is the top of this line and competes with the Decor models (such as the 2010) and the Threadbanger TB30. It is larger than the Gems (used for schools and portability) and smaller and less feature-rich than the Memory Craft and higher Decor models. What this all means is that if you are looking for a basic machine that does everyday tasks and quilting, this is a good machine at the right price point. What you will need to decide is how many extras you need based on your sewing tasks.

The machine has smooth lines--a sewing table with rounded edges covers the free arm and contains an accessory box. The machine is a warm white, and the front has a couple of flowers as decoration in yellow and pink. I like more serious-looking designs and even the goth style of the Threadbanger, but the Magnolia had some features that made me choose it over the TB-30.

The weight is about 15 pounds and can be carried with a built-in top handle. No case comes with the Magnolia; you can choose to add a hard case top, but you also might use a padded tote if you go to sewing classes or events.

Features:

The best feature, and the one that had me choose the 7330 over the DC2010 was the auto start-stop. This is a way to sew without the foot pedal. I had started sewing and was sewing until recently with a knee-lever. The coordination of foot up and down while moving fabric if you are quilting is not as easy as either a knee-lever or no pedal or lever at all. It's one less movement to coordinate.

To use the hands free, you choose a top speed with a speed push bar on the front, and press START. The machine ramps up to your chosen speed and you can move fabric (for freestyle quilting) or just pay attention to the fabric as the feed dogs move the piece through.

There is a needle up-needle down button; it has memory meaning you can press needle-down and every time you stop, the needle remembers its start position (up or down.) For quilting, again, this is fabulous. If you are stitching a design, you can simply stop, have the needle drop down and you can pivot on the stitch. You can handle this by hand on any machine, even a treadle, but you have to REMEMBER to drop the needle before pivoting, The needle memory and foot-free operation were what I really wanted most, along with good buttonhole variation, so this made the 7330 a top contender.

There is also a needle threader; handy if you wear bifocals.

There are 30 decorative and utility stitches (the DC2010 has 50, including heirloom stitches, fyi.) There are six buttonholes including standard dense, keyhole, stretch (for knits), hand-stitch look (like hand buttonhole stitch), laddered and rounded. The buttonhole uses a button sensor; plug a button into the back of the buttonhole foot, drop down the sensor lever and the hole will be the right size for your button.

One feature on the Magnolia that was NOT on the TB30 Threadbanger (which is quite similar in all other respects) is a darning stitch that uses the buttonhole foot. While you can drop the feed dogs in both machines and darn freehand, this quick mending feature decided me against the nice decorative stitches and easier front panel of the Threadbanger.

The machine will punch through 4 to 6 layers of tee shirt material (I tried this) but I am not sure how well this will do on layers of denim, even with a sturdier needle. Generally, machines such as the Magnolia cannot handle multiple layers of heavy canvas or denim but I have a "gut" Elna that can pound through nearly anything.

Negatives:

Few accessory feet come with the 7330. Only a satin stitch foot, regular presser foot, a zipper foot and a buttonhole foot. If you need a stitch-in-the-ditch guide foot, a hemmer, ruffler, walking foot or other fancy foot (piping or cording foot, pintuck) you have to pony up extra.

The button sewing feature was a bit difficult to use compared to my Elna 1010. You push a button under the satin foot (has a space underneath), direct the needle to the left hole while using the zigzag stitch, adjust stitch width to the right to hit the right hole and then zig on slow for about 10 stitches. I found it almost impossible to position a small shirt button that had a more rounded rim than a standard flat shirt button. An open-toe foot may solve this.

There are no fancy heirloom stitches beyond the useful blanket stitch and herringbone and a pretty leaf, star and scallop or two. No ladder stitch or eyelet or Parisian stitch. If you like heirloom sewing on linens, you have to move up to the DC2010 and give up the foot-free stitching, or go to the next level of machine with better feed system and--pay fifty percent more.

Summary:

For free quilting, home mending and standard home garment and decorative sewing, the Magnolia 7330 has a lot of bang for the buck. It is almost indistinguishable from the slightly more expensive TB30, and has features that are absent from the bottom of the Decor line 2010. For the price point, this is a great machine for average sewing and the foot-free features make this more efficient and easy to use.

Feature List:

Adjustable Stitch Width from 0 to 7 mm
Adjustable Stitch Length from 0 to 5 mm
Buttonhole System: One-step Sensor Type Automatic 6 Styles
External Feed Balancing Dial
SFS (Superior Feed System)
Box Feed System
Free Arm Removable Accessory Tray
Needle Stop "Up"
Memorized Needle Up/Down Key
Retractable Carrying Handle
Machine Weight: 18.2 lbs (8.2 kg)
Front Position Halogen Lightbulb
DC Motor
Uni-directional Blanket Stitch
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 17, 2009
I waited until I'd test driven this machine a bit before reviewing. The consensus: This is a wonderful home workhorse.

The Magnolia 7330 is the first sewing machine I've ever bought, but I've used the Whites, Singers, Janomes and Berninas of my mom and friends before. When I went looking for a machine of my own I wanted something simple, powerful, non-finicky (nothing seems to elevates blood pressure like weird thread tension), and good enough to get me through most craft or clothing projects. Well, and not crazy expensive.

This machine really lives up to my expectations and hopes. It punched through 6+ layers of denim easily, the feed dog system is wonderfully smooth, and it goes from sewing light muslin to heavy twill without any problem or fiddling at all. You can see how much thread is in the bobbin in between stitching, so I don't expect to lift off the fabric and find I've run out of thread any time soon, like has happened to me a couple of times on other machines. As far as I am aware, the 7330 also has all the stitches and functions that are needed for most any form of garment or craft construction, but the overload of embroidery stitches and resulting bump in the price tag are mercifully absent.

Basically, it seems to be a machine that's designed to let you concentrate on the next step of your project, rather than having to troubleshoot the machine itself constantly. I'm happy :)
on March 31, 2011
I absolutely love my new machine!! I've had it three weeks now and am on a whirl with it. I've been quilting for several hours almost every day and I am very impressed with the quality of the machine for the price. I upgraded from a very finicky Brother that had tension and bobbin problems right from the start and I finally just had enough. I did a lot of research on sewing machine brands and Janome quickly became my first choice. I certainly did not want to go with another economy-quality brand. Several well-known brands have slipped significantly in quality over the years so I wanted to stay away from them. This left me choosing between the Janome and Bernina and I simply did not feel that Bernina was worth the price compared to what the Janome machine could do for me.

With my Janome, my stitches are even, my tension is perfect, and it is super easy to quilt. (I have even been able to do very nice quilting without a walking foot!) The drop in bobbin on this machine is spot on amazing. One of the features I HAD to have was the ability to drop the feed dogs on the machine and it works wonderfully. I am also very pleased at how well and consistently the feed dogs handle the different types of material I use. The other feature I had to have was the ability to control the stitching speed and slow it down significantly. This model offers that. Not only can I cut the speed to the foot pedal, but I can also sew without a foot pedal. This is a very big added bonus for me because I stitch very long straight seams while quilting and it saves me the trouble of messing with a foot pedal. The decorative stitching is even and beautiful and I love that I have options to change the look of the decorative stitches by varying the length and the width of the stitch. I have not made clothes on the machine yet, but I do not anticipate any problems based on the machine's performance so far. I did have to hem work pants for my husband (you know, those lovely polyester kind), and the blind hem stitch was perfect. It was very consistent even over the pant leg seams. I don't ever make very many buttonholes, but I did try a few out just to check and it is unbelievably easy. Also, the instruction manual is very clear and easy to reference.

I might have purchased a higher level Janome if I had a higher budget, but this is what I could afford to spend and I am really very pleased with the machine. It is exceptional and I find it be an EXCELLENT value.

I will be honest and say that I did not purchase through Amazon. I bought it from a local shop from a small-business owner with an amazing reputation throughout the region. For those price shopping, I learned from several sources that Janome sets the price through their distributors. The standard list price for this machine is $399 (the same as Amazon's selling price), not $499 list price that Amazon claims, so at this time, Amazon is not offering any price savings.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 19, 2010
I received this for Christmas and I love it. I would say my sewing skill is about intermediate. I wanted a machine that would be good for where I am currently, grow with me some, but also be affordable. After much research, this was the one I wanted. My mom surprised me with it.

This was an upgrade from an old Singer Touch and Sew 600e. This machine won't ever be as sturdy as that baby, but it's a really nice replacement... and at any rate, I don't think any machine you'd buy these days would be that sturdy. However, this machine is AWESOME.

The bobbin was easy to wind. It is easy to thread. It has memory of your needle position. This thing doesn't take fiddling and is extremely easy to work with. I like to make things like clothing, purses, little things like bags and eye pillows. I do a lot with my sewing machine and ask a lot. This machine really pulls through and does what I want without complaint or worry.

I love all the marks on both sides of the food and needle to guide your fabric. It makes it SO easy. The fabric feeds very easily.

One thing I found weird to get used to is that when you first press the peddle, the first few stitches go quite slow and then it will go up to speed. It's weird, but as I continue with it, I find it is also quite useful.

I love this machine. I cannot stress enough how much I love it. It's fairly quiet. It's easy to set up. It's easy to use with a distinct lack of needing to fiddle with it. It's easy to select stitches and size of stitches.

I really love this machine. I can't say that enough.
on January 8, 2011
I was looking for my first sewing machine after using my mom's machine for years. I wanted something that could handle heavy fabrics, and had a few bells and whistles. My plan was to go to the local vac and sew shop around the corner, try a few machines and go from there. What I ended up doing was researching on the web, and after reading hundreds of reviews, came across the Janome 7330. Nowhere could I find a single negative comment about this machine. Hoping I made the right choice, I ordered it and when it arrived, immediately got to work finishing some half done projects.

Pros-
Its quiet. You don't have to yell to be heard over this machine.
Its able to handle several layers of heavy fabric- I tried it out on a courderoy jacket, a fleece cape with a satin lining, and a few other things with several layers to sew through. It barely even slowed down when it got to the tough parts. I recently put it to the test with several layers of vinyl and heavy drapery fabric together and it slogged on through even when I thought it couldn't possibly do it.
It can sew your buttons on for you. This is a huge perk for me as I tend to avoid patterns with buttons because I really hate sewing them on. Just lower the feed dogs, set the stitch to zig zag at the right width for your button holes, and go.
Its super easy to change the stitch and adjust the length/width.
The work light is very bright- excellent since the area I am using it is rather low-light.

Cons-
I can't seem to get the buttonholer to work, but I had this problem on my mom's last two machines too. Pretty sure its something I am doing and not the machine itself. Even without it, setting the stitch to a tight zig zag and manually stitching the right shape was a breeze.

All in all, from what I've used it so far, I am extremely pleased with this machine and am very happy to call it my own. I don't feel I could have made a better choice. If you have the budget for this machine, read the reviews, do your homework, and if it seems like a good fit, you probably will not be disappointed in it. Its a GREAT machine! Do yourself a favor and read the manual. There's a lot of info in there that you can really use.

I'm editing to add that I've been using this machine for 5 months now, and am still in love with it. Its given me no problems at all and I have used it many projects. Do take care to remove your pins rather then sewing over them though as this machine will bend, break, or swallow them whole without warning.

EDIT: I've had this machine for five years now and only after recently going on YouTube was I able to find out how to use the buttonholer. See my attached photo. The white lever directly to the left of the needle is not the correct lever to pull down to use the buttonholer attachment. As far as I can see, it does absolutely nothing. The lever in the very back that is black is the one you want. So, after 5 years of trying to make a buttonhole, I can now do so easily and perfectly. Machine still works great and I've had no issues with it.
review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 25, 2010
Purchased the Janome 7330 one and a half years ago, and I adore this machine. As a reluctant sewist, I knew that I needed a machine that was reliable and easy to use. When I got the machine, my daughters, 8 and 11, learned to sew paper collages, little doll dresses and other experiments. It is easy to wind the bobbin, easy to thread, easy to switch between stitch types. It comes with several "feet" and I bought a few extras and found them easy to switch out. The instruction manual is good; I was able to follow the steps easily. There was little information about feet or freestyle stitching (which I now love to do), but I found good info on the Janome site, which also has a bunch of sweet little videos to show you how to sew different things.

I've sewn about a dozen stitched paper journals, going through multiple layers of watercolor paper, with no problem at all. I have sewn curtains and little ipod cases and lots of mini-quilts, and I still love the machine. It is just amazing. Highly recommended.
on February 17, 2010
I purchased the Janome 7330 Magnolia sewing machine a couple months ago based on customers' reviews...in particular, the first review here caught my attention...I'm an experienced sewer, and this is my third machine...I'm very happy with it...it's very easy to thread...after reading the instructions about the various settings/buttons, I found it easy to operate. The stitches are nice; I didn't have to adjust the tension or anything. It comes with basic attachments/accessories, and there are quite a few additional accessories that can be purchased separately like a ruffler, darning foot, etc.
on February 23, 2010
I bought this machine after doing a lot of research and I'm so happy I did! I sewed in high school but now 10 years later, I wanted to get into quilting. At first I set my budget at $200 but quickly realized that machines in that price range were not dependable. I didn't want a machine that would be more trouble than it was worth.

The features I wanted were needle down, adjustable speed, and start/stop button. This machine has all 3. If I had a bigger budget, I would love a knee-lift, adjustable foot pressure, and thread cutter, but that will have to be for my "some day" machine.

If your budget is $300-400, this is the machine for you!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 1, 2011
Just a heads up that this is the same machine as the 8077. The only difference is the set up in the front, but everything else is the same. I do think the Magnolia is prettier...not for $100 extra though. This was confirmed by Janome customer service and Mr. Vac & Mrs. Sew.

I have really enjoyed this machine - no thread tension issues, which is the reason I kicked my singer to the curb.