5.0 out of 5 stars Sewing right out of the box!
Published on September 17, 2011 by akgirl

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed
I am really disappointed with this product -- I believed the reviews -- it is extremely difficult to thread, the tension is terrible, the threads break easily - I have to clue how to adjust - I took it into a local vender, it will cost me money to adjust/repair - the machine is only 2 months old -- I can return to the vender to repair but the merchant is in TX and I am in...
Published 20 months ago by jlm

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Sewing right out of the box!, September 17, 2011
Opened the box, watched the DVD, played with a few scraps and had a knit top sewn up in under an hour! Easy to use and fine tune after watching the DVD, reading the manual and tinkering with tension controls. Lots of great serger/tension tutorials online too. Haven't had to thread the machine yet but color coded thread guides should help a lot. A great Janome machine at a really great price. Treat yourself and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far So Good, March 6, 2012
I have been contemplating a serger for at least three months and have read plenty of reviews. Truthfully everyone directs you towards the entry level Brother, which is a great product but knowing the quality of Janome, I really wanted one. So far I have not been disappointed at all. The serger comes pre-threaded with white thread, of course I wanted to finish something in black so instead of doing the "easy way" of threading (tying off on the previous threads), I decided to thread the machine myself. The DVD is great to have since I loaded in my laptop and was able to pause and rewind on demand as I was figuring out how to thread the machine. I only had difficulty threading one of the loopers (the Upper Looper thread) but eventually was able to successfully thread all four cones and start serging.
I love the serger! it's easy to use, easy to adjust the double knifes are extremely sharp (first project was with denim), and amazingly quiet (at least to me). I highly recommend this machine as an entry level serger. I have recently begun to sew (only about six months ago) and very much enjoy doing clothing - I think that if that's your primary objective with sewing, a serger is a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little machine!, January 28, 2013
Amazon Customer (Myrtle Creek, Or USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Janome 8002D Serger (Misc.)
My husband purchased this for me for the holidays this last year. I sew, a lot, and he knew this would save me some time (plus it was on my amazon wish list). I couldn't be happier with this machine. Once out of the box, I began using it right away (I should probably mention here that I had never, ever, touched a serger before then). Threading it was...an adventure! The included DVD and printed instructions are very handy. Highly recommended machine!

Update 5/14/2013
*A tip from a friend helped me a lot to get through the re-threading time sucker. Snip your existing threads at the top of the thread holder, near to the thread spool so there is plenty of 'tail' on the thread. Then take off snipped thread spools, drop in the new spools of thread, and tie them (in a knot) to the existing thread that is already threaded in the machine. Run the machine for a few seconds to get the new thread passed through, and viola! You've just saved a half an hour of time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great serger!, May 28, 2012
I bought this product about six weeks ago. I have serged a handful of projects on it. I am very pleased with it. I have re-threaded it, used the standard stitch and rolled hem. All have gone smoothly. I am an experienced sewer, but this is the first serger I have owned. I sense a whole new world of creativity coming my way!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice machine!, November 5, 2012
This review is from: Janome 8002D Serger (Misc.)
This is my first serger and it does a good job! Easy to use and maintain. I would recommend this serger to friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm enjoying the machine, January 5, 2013
This review is from: Janome 8002D Serger (Misc.)
This machine is a joy to use compared with my old one. So much easier to thread and the setting are very easy to change.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lived up to expectations, February 12, 2013
This review is from: Janome 8002D Serger (Misc.)
Came pre threaded which was great because it looks harder to thread than other surgers i have used. Sewing quality is great and i have no complaints with the results. It has very quiet operation and little to no vibration during high speeds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Beginner, December 26, 2012
This review is from: Janome 8002D Serger (Misc.)
This is the first serger I've purchased. It's simple to use and surprisingly easy to re-thread. It serves well for basic serging needs and sews a wide range of fabric weights.

5.0 out of 5 stars This machine is worth every cent I paid for it and more!, June 25, 2013
This review is from: Janome 8002D Serger (Misc.)
I love to sew knits and my new Janome made my sewing life much easier for me. So far I am primarily using this serger for sewing seams fast and secure. As I learn the machine's many capabilies, I know I will use many of the other features. It is very easy to use, not loud, and threading is a breeze with the clear directions in the documentation and those on the machine. I would recommend sewers to have this serger as it is easy to use and is a very reliable product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Janome 8002D Serger, October 17, 2013
This review is from: Janome 8002D Serger (Misc.)
I've owned three sergers and the Janome is the best of the lot. Their quality control is better than most. My other sergers arrived with the tension disks preset to their optimum setting, but the setting were all over the place. No attempt had been made to adjust the machines so that there was consistency in relation to each other. So the lower looper was at 7 and the upper looper at 3 and the right needle at 5 and the left needle at 8. Huh? The Janome tension disks were uniformly set at 3 -- all of them. And it was the correct tension.

The machine has worked flawlessly. BUT, the lower looper thread is difficult to get through its path, and it doesn't get better because the problem is that it is difficult to reach, not understand.

I'd buy the Janome 8002D again because it works so well, but I might first search for a Janome model that is easier to thread.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›