5.0 out of 5 stars Great Machine...Works Great...won't break the bank!
I used to have a used Top of Line sewing machine and it was fabulous, sewed great, but cost lots of money (even used). Like everyone nowadays budget is a huge concern and it turned out I really don't have as much time to sew as I thought I would. Hubby, kids, etc...all taking my time. :) So I decided to sell my Top of Line machine and purchased this machine instead...
Published on July 29, 2011 by J. Johnson

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing Accessories
I received this item as a birthday present from my husband. I love the machine but the package of accessories was missing the Large Spool Holder and also the Sliding Buttonhole Foot. I contacted Janome and they told me that the dealer would have to replace these items. So my husband contacted Amazon, and they told him that since these items were purchased through Mr Vac...
Published on November 4, 2010 by S. Osing

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Machine...Works Great...won't break the bank!, July 29, 2011
This review is from: Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine (Misc.)

Let me say, this machine has been fabulous. It arrived brand new with all the accessories. The buttonhole foot was in the little drawer that is underneath the machine. This machine has been nothing but a joy to use. It has a great looking straight stitch and for the budget conscious it was a fraction of the cost of my used TOL machine. I do have Amazon prime and spent the extra $3.99 to get it next day and it arrived the next day. Perfect.

This machine is NOT computerized which did take a bit of getting used to for me, and the absolute ONLY thing I really miss is that on some computerized models, the needle can stop always up or always down. People always tout this as a "beginner" machine, but I'm not sure why a really excellent seamstress couldn't/wouldn't use one of these. Maybe my application is different than most. But I find that even on the TOL machine I didn't really use all the extra stitches that much. Then again at this point in my life my projects have to be relatively quick and simple...or they don't get finished.

This machine even has overcasting stitches so you can finish your raw edges and avoid raveling. I LOVE the bobbin on these machines. Has the see through cover and you can see how much thread you have left. Anyway, absolutely no regrets here. It's a nice solid machine, heavy enough so it doesn't bounce around while sewing and the presser foot lifts extra high to allow for thick fabrics to go underneath.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful machine!, July 7, 2011
J. Davis (Santa Barbara, CA) - See all my reviews
Edited to add:

Well, I've been using the machine this week and am still in love with it. I ran off the fabric a few time since I'm still learning, and the machine remained jam-free (yay!). Adding a bobbin was also a snap. Something I didn't add in the review below is that the machine has a light for when you sew (again, I'm a new sewer and this is my first machine, so maybe all machines have a light - but thought I should mention it just in case).

******

I'm a new sewer, and after taking a sewing class, I was inspired to buy my first machine. My sewing instructor recommended Elna and Janome branded machines, saying that they would last and make all the difference in your sewing projects. She also said they were worth the extra money.

I saw the Janome 7318 on Amazon and decided to take the plunge. I recently signed up for a Living Social deal to have a 2-hour sewing lesson in my home, and when I looked at the instructor's website, she recommends the Janome Magnolia 7318, which made me feel good about my purchase.

My machine arrived today and it's beautiful! It comes with the following standard accessories: zipper foot e, buttonhole foot b, sliding buttonhole foot j, needles, bobbins, small screwdriver, lint brush, seam ripper (buttonhole opener), large spool holder, small spool holder, additional spool pin and felt cushion. At first I thought I had the same problem of missing accessories like another reviewer, but found that while most of the accessories were in a plastic baggie, the sliding buttonhole foot was in the accessory storage (part of the machine), and the large spool holder was on the machine's spool pin. So if you get your machine and think parts are missing, take a look at the machine to double-check they're not in and/or on it.

Here are some other machine features:

1) Unlike the Elna machine that I used in class, this machine has a thread cutter already attached - which is sweet.
2) The extension table can be removed so you can do hems and shirt sleeves.
3) Feed dogs can be dropped
4) You can independently adjust stitch length and width (Maximum Zigzag Width: 5.0 mm Maximum Stitch Length: 4 mm)
5) The needle can be lifted really high to fit bulky/thick fabrics
6) The bobbin can be dropped easily in on the base, and the cover is see-through so you can tell if you're running out of thread. This really help sell me, because in class I kept having bobbin issues. I also ran out of thread in the bobbin mid-project, so the see-through cover would've been helpful.
7) 18 preprogrammed stitches
8) 25 year warranty. Here is what it says on the Janome website regarding the warranty: In the event that your Product needs service covered by this warranty, please contact the authorized Janome dealer from whom you purchased it or a Janome Authorized Service Center. To locate a Janome Authorized Service Center, please call 1-800-631-0183 or visit our web site at [...]. Your product was sold with an instruction booklet and or a DVD/CD-ROM. To avoid any unnecessary inconvenience, we suggest that you refer to the instruction booklet before contacting your authorized Janome dealer or Janome Authorized Service Center for service. We also strongly encourage you to register your product on-line at [...].
(FYI - there was no DVD/CD-ROM with this model)

You can learn more about the machine on the Janome website. There is even a short, but helpful video that runs through the features.

Happy sewing!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid machine, October 21, 2010
This review is from: Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine (Misc.)
This is a good solid sewing machine. The best part about it is how the bobbin goes in. It just drops in a little hole next to the presser plate, so no tricky hand maneuvers needed to change bobbins. The bobbin is always my trouble with sewing machines, I don't sew all that often, so by the time I need to put in a bobbin, I have forgotten how to do it. Which way does the thread go?? Yikes! Well, you will never never have that problem with this machine because the bobbin is not in the front, like in most machines, it is on the level sewing area so it just drops in. Oh thank you Janome for making this machine! It also feels really strong/sturdy and powerful. It feels like a machine that will last a long time, the motor is powerful and sewed through denim with no problem at all. I did not even use a denim needle. I highly recommend this machine. It has all the stiches you need unless you are some fancy, major decorative seamstress. I think this machine would work for most people who sew. The price is great too. You will not be disappointed if you buy this fabulous sturdy machine.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it but...., August 19, 2011
This review is from: Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine (Misc.)
I have used Singer machines for years but they have really slipped on quality so I tried something new - Janome.

Mine is a very quiet machine as sewing machines go and it sews very smooth.That said it is a very exacting machine in terms of how it works.

To select stitches the needle has to be in the up most position or the stitches will look funky and wrong. If that happens just put the needle up and redo the settings and it works right. When it's working right the stitches are beautiful and I like the variety.

The presser foot lift is on the right side and I was used to it being on the back with my old machine so that is taking some adjusting to. but as I get used to it I like it.

This machine has so many good features but then they dropped the ball on the drop feed feature by locating it not only on the back of the machine but you have to remove the table to even get to it. Not a big deal except I am having my husband make a table for it so I will have to lift the machine out to do it. I do wonder why they didn't put it on the right like other machines.

The drop bobbin is nice - this is my first machine like that and I like it.

A salesman told me that only Janome brand presser feet work with their machines - but I tested all my feet on this machine and they all work so what you have now will work with this machine if it is the same lift type as your other machine. Both my machines are high shank so they can share feet. Which is nice because I have a lot of $$$ wrapped up in them.

OHHH... The thread cutter is on the left and where you can just swipe the thread through easily and it's done. Very convenient.

The sewing manual is a good one. Not only does it show you how to operate the machine but how to make the stitches and when the stitches don't work right how to adjust them so it will so read it carefully if you are new to the machine. the stretch stitch feature has an adjustment too and the book tells you how to do it.

I think if you are new to sewing you will like this machine but I think a very experienced sewer that sews a lot would want a different model since the feed drop is in a hard to reach place.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, April 18, 2011
This review is from: Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine (Misc.)
I purchased this sewing machine with the intent of learning to sew in my spare time. There was a very comprehensive how-to video on the web which made this machine look very easy to use. After two additional recommendations from friends and family who use Janome machines and love them, I purchased mine. It arrived quickly as advertised and came with all of the pieces nicely packed for shipment. I literally took it out of the box, followed the instructions on how to thread it and started sewing a practice piece of fabric immediately. I've used it a few times for small projects that I would normally have hand-sewn and it's worked very well (plus has saved me a ton of time!) I'm also using it to sew medium sized silk lavender sachets for gifts and it couldn't be easier. This particular model comes with a few decorative stitches which have worked out nicely.
One bit of advice... Go with a model a little above what you think you want. I was waffling between this model (Magnolia) and another model with half the stitch options and I'm so happy I spent an extra few bucks and got the extra stitches. Happy sewing!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Why is this promoted as a beginners machine?, May 17, 2012
D. Kussman (backwoods Missouri) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine (Misc.)
This machine has everything that is needed in a machine unless you want your product to scream HOMEMADE because of all the funky stitches..
I am not a beginner, at 69 I have been sewing since I was big enough to climb up to a treadle machine and get my boy cousin to run the treadle. (Major trouble for both of us, several times) This Janome replaced my old Kenmore which at least needs extensive repair after 30 years of never being put away and making everything from baby clothes to bridal gowns and prom dresses with a few seat covers and lots of carhart repairs along the way.

This machine is just pretty similar in both features and strength to the 1982 Kenmore, a good machine for the person who sees a sewing machine as being just as important for keeping house and raising a family as a refrigerator..

5.0 out of 5 stars the sillence, July 31, 2011
This review is from: Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine (Misc.)
this machine has all the atributes of an old fashioned sewing machine with more modern benefits.the stitching is perfection and there is so little sound that you are lulled into a sence of enjoyment!

4.0 out of 5 stars First Sewing Machine, May 22, 2010
This review is from: Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine (Misc.)
This is my first machine, I learned to sew on my Mom's Singer and still consider myself a beginner. Easy to understand instructions, quite - which is a big plus. Have sewed several pillows and curtains and am very pleased with the machine so far. Plan to use some of the fancier stitches on a small quilt after some more practice. All in all I recommend this machine for someone who wants simple and quick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a beginner with a stack of library sewing books, October 4, 2013
This review is from: Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine (Misc.)
I've been wanting to try out sewing for a long, long time but felt a bit paralyzed by the daunting task of picking out a machine. So many reviews! After making a spreadsheet to compare features and complaints, I settled on the Janome Magnolia.

Oh, I am so very happy with this sewing machine! In the four months I've had it, I've made skirts, a quilt, a dress, and little gift things. I did end up getting additional presser feet for it - the Distinctive quilting feet package - and that has been really nice for working with fleece and thicker quilt materials. For making clothes or using basic cotton fabric, the regular presser feet are just fine.

When troubleshooting, here are the big three to remember: thread, needle, dust. I haven't had to adjust the tension once. Thread: always, always, always thread your machine with the presser foot UP. Needle: seriously, change your needle after every sewing project or after about 8 hours of sewing. I am always amazed what a difference it makes when I put in a brand new needle. Get the Organ 100 pack here on Amazon if you're mainly using basic universal needles. Dust: Clean your machine after every project, too. This means removing the build up of fuzz around the needle shaft, checking the bobbin holder, and it's not a bad idea to lift up the plate and check for dust and fuzz around the feed dogs, too. A clean machine is a happy machine is a much happier you.

And my final tip: your public library! I have learned so many little tricks and projects just by checking out sewing books from the public library. If you're a beginner, too, check out books on upcycling, using scraps, using fat quarters or just one yard of fabric. Happy sewing!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this machine!, April 2, 2011
This review is from: Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine (Misc.)
I bought this machine about a year ago because my mother teaches sewing classes and recommended the brand. I sew at an intermediate level and it's been great to work with. I've done MANY projects on it already and it has been frustration-free, which is much more than I can say about other machines I've used! Great for quilting and sewing. Very solid. Definitely recommend it for a first machine. It's made me love sewing and helps me keep up the hobby.

When it first arrived, the alignment with the bobbin holder inside was a little off. I called Mr. Vac and Mrs. Sew and they were happy to tell me how to fix it. They seemed very interested in my satisfaction and the fix was very simple.

Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine