4.0 out of 5 stars great quick machine

3.0 out of 5 stars Good *for what it's made for*
Published on November 3, 2011 by JazSewist

4.0 out of 5 stars great quick machine, November 25, 2011
This review is from: Janome Sew Mini 2-Stitch Sewing Machine (Office Product)
This little machine is a perfect beginner machine, and as a quick mender for non-sewers and sewers alike. I use it for small projects such as piecing and will be starting my 8 year old on it. It winds thread, straight stitch and zig zag, reverse for locking stitches. It does not go fast like a full-size machine. I've been known to put this on a lap tray and mend from my recliner while I listen to music. It is light weight. Sewing through 2 layers of fleece is not a problem, so thinner fabrics will also work well. Not for sewing on heavy fabrics like denim. The only negative I have is there is no light on it, that is why I gave it 4 stars. Hint: watch for sales - I found mine at JoAnn's online for $30.00.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does More than People Say, February 22, 2013
This review is from: Janome Sew Mini 2-Stitch Sewing Machine (Office Product)
I got my Sew Mini on sale for $30 from Joann's Fabrics in Dallas, TX about five or six years ago, intending on using it as a light weight, portable only. I've found out that if you are patient, you can get a lot of work out of this little machine. The box endorses it for light weight fabrics and paper for scrap booking. Somewhere I read a reviewer claim it was ONLY good for paper.

In fact, I often use it to mend jeans using fusible interfacing with a single layer of denim and zigzag over the spot with denim colored thread. I have put pockets back onto dresses, sewing through three layers or more of medium weight denim.

Yesterday, my dog needed a new harness. I had heavy weight nylon strapping, the kind that nylon collars are made from, and a pair of medium weight jeans that I didn't want to mend. I completely covered the strapping with denim and made a sturdy harness that has already held up better to my dog's abuses than some of the harnesses I've bought at the pet store. My bigger sewing machines are currently buried in the storage shed, so I used the Sew Mini and some additional hand stitching for the whole thing. I never even broke a needle.

I would recommend this machine to beginning sewers who intend to work with light weight fabrics, but if you really know what you are doing and are able to adjust your methods to the strengths of a given machine, you can get it to do almost anything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised!, January 6, 2013
Nancy Long (Norfolk, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Janome Sew Mini 2-Stitch Sewing Machine (Office Product)
I purchased this machine for my granddaughter a couple of years ago. Yes, the machine is slow. But for someone learning I think it's perfect. I used the machine this weekend. I am used to my really nice fast Janomes. This little machine got the test. Four hours of almost constant sewing through three and six layers of cotton and fleece for placemats and quilting them. Great tension, good strong stitches. If I had to purchase another beginner machine, I would chhose this one again. It gives a beginner with an interest in sewing the opportunity to try sewing at a low cost.
Things I missed. A built in sewing light and a thread cutter.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good *for what it's made for*, November 3, 2011
This review is from: Janome Sew Mini 2-Stitch Sewing Machine (Office Product)
This was made to be a "disposable machine," mostly for travel and teaching children. For the price and purpose, this Janome is actually pretty decent. It goes at a slow speed, is easy to thread, has the basic stitches down. The sewing produced is of a good quality, considering the build and price. Unfortunately, the Sew Mini is quickly outgrown if you're over the age of six. Soon enough, you will want to do more - thicker fabrics, bigger projects. And when you do, the Mini will either break (all-plastic parts) or have to be left behind. There are better options out there for a beginner machine. Only use this if you've got a flighty six-year-old who will probably forget it in two months, or if you're an experienced seamstress in need of a travel machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Janome Mini is NOT a toy!, November 28, 2011
This review is from: Janome Sew Mini 2-Stitch Sewing Machine (Office Product)
This Janome Mini is wonderful for quilt piecing. Light weight and great for travel. It is a very nice basic machine. Love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars From a beginner's point of view, June 5, 2013
This review is from: Janome Sew Mini 2-Stitch Sewing Machine (Office Product)
I learned quickly that sewing by hand only works for a little while. I was planning a major project that included applique of items about a foot long/wide, and hemming of a 6 ft long piece of fabric. I ordered this machine based on reviews claiming that it was a decent-if finicky-machine. I didn't wish to spend more than the price for this, either.

The product arrived on time, in great shape. I immediately set to work-the instructions were easy enough that I-who had never so much as set a sidelong glance at a sewing machine-had my bobbins threaded and was ready to sow in about 25 minutes. I can't speak to other products, as I've never had the pleasure of using one other than this. I can talk about things I've noticed, and if commenters wish to correct me, by all means, do.

A previous poster noted that the sewing machine was rather noisy. I did notice this-especially when nothing else was going on in the room, which is typically the environment in which I use this. It's not to the point that it's annoying to use this-just something to note before you bring it on vacation with you.

I was under the (mistaken) impression that once I got a sewing machine, my lines would be amazingly straight. The foot helps keep the fabric flat, but I have a tendency to let the fabric curve, somehow, and get hems that slant towards the inside. For this project, that's not really an issue-just something to keep in mind if you're a beginner like me.

Previous reviews have also mentioned the slowness of the machine. While the machine may be slower than others, at the skill level I am at right now, I think I prefer it this way. A faster machine would scare me, and I would undoubtedly make more mistakes that I would regret correcting.

Short of the long-I enjoy this purchase. I think it's a great machine for a beginner like me to build up their skill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right for beginners, January 16, 2012
This review is from: Janome Sew Mini 2-Stitch Sewing Machine (Office Product)
Wanted to write a review because I had read so many mixed reviews from various sites-- I bought two of these so my daughter and my niece could sew together any time without fiddling with my sewing machine. The controls are basic and simple, and they were both up and running in no time. Even my 8 year old niece who had never sewn was soon sewing together "bags" and "skirts" for her Barbie dolls. Sure, we had to pull out some jammed thread every now and then, but for the most part, they are both working great! And they are light enough that the girls can carry them around the house without me worrying about them dropping mine on their toes. We love them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little machine, March 10, 2013
This review is from: Janome Sew Mini 2-Stitch Sewing Machine (Office Product)
Product was as described. Was easy to set up. Had several pairs of jeans to sew and this machine did the trick. I didn't know it could do several different stitch designs which allows for a more secure hold. I am very happy with my purchase.

2.0 out of 5 stars Major issues, February 24, 2013
Frances Romasco (Providence, RI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Janome Sew Mini 2-Stitch Sewing Machine (Office Product)
I purchased this machine for travelling, and for that purpose, it IS good, because it only weighs 6 pounds.It's a shame that it has some other, major, issues that ruin it.
I am a professional patternmaker and seamstress, and I think that this machine sews very well; the tension is excellent.
The straight stitch length and zig-zag widths are auto set. Although this feature would be extremely annoying if you used this machine on a regular basis, on one that you use infrequently, it is bearable. That being said, however, i will add that the longest straight stitch is not very long; so it's not great for using as a gathering stitch.
Even the fact that it did not have a case didn't bother me.It's so little and light you can fit it in a suitcase!
These are the Three Big Problems with this machine:
#1- It is LOUD! It sounds like a truck!! If you are in a motel room (remember, I did say it was for travelling) you might not want to use it after 8pm.
#2-It is SLOW! It moves like a snail!!This is annoying as can be! There is nothing worse than being in a hurry to sew something (like a long straight seam), and have the machine just crawl along!
#3- There is NO light on the needle area. This is probably the worst of the problems. I have never seen, in all the 40 years I've been sewing) a sewing machine that did not have a light. It's impossible to see, when there is something above the needle shadowing it(which, of course, there always will be, on a sewing machine, which is why all sewing machines have lights there!).

This machine sews well, but Janome seems to have cut corners in other areas to get this machine out at this low price point. If you can deal with these issues, it's fine, but a good over all sewing machine is only good if's it's REALLY good overall.
This one isn't.

4.0 out of 5 stars For my 11 year old daughter, April 12, 2013
This review is from: Janome Sew Mini 2-Stitch Sewing Machine (Office Product)
So my daughter wanted to get started sewing. I am fairly new to it myself but wanted to make sure I got her a good one to start with. I have to say that this fit the bill perfectly. It is well made, and operates nicely. She is able to do simple sewing on the machine - she made her first bag and pillow within 2 hours of pulling the machine outta the box. She was in such a rush she didn't think about hemming or making sure the bag was inside out while sewing so they are very rough looking but it's been a great learning experience.

She is also able to bring the machine to her friends houses so they can all sew together. That has been a great thing for her and her friends to get into, they also knit and crochet together.

Now this machine is not very strong. It will not go though felted items or more than 4 -5 layers of thin fabric. It also takes some adjusting to find the correct tension for your machine and to learn how the bobbin goes. At first she was very frustrated because she couldn't get the machine to operate correctly. My husband, who used to run an embroidery shop, came in and showed her how to correct her procedure and READ the manual before starting over. Once she did that she was good to go.

Overall I am very happy with the machine and she is too. I believe it is well made enough that when her younger sister is ready to start sewing that she will be able to use this machine when I get my oldest another.