4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Little Machine
Published on June 24, 2011 by Janneke Bogyo

2.0 out of 5 stars Basic Model, Hard to Tension
I purchased this item from Hancock over the Christmas holidays because it was on sale even though I was eyeing the Brother 1034D 3/4 Lay-In Thread Serger instead. I should have ordered from Amazon and waited.

Published 18 months ago by Rebecca Christian

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Little Machine, June 24, 2011
This review is from: Janome Serger 3434D Serger Overlock
I bought this to replace my Bernina model serger when it was no longer useable. I do not sew as much as I used to but I still wanted a serger for the projects I make. I decided to buy a less expensive machine and hoped that it would be sufficient. After using it for almost a year, I'm very satisfied with the quality of the machine. In many ways it is very similar to my old Bernina serger. However, one of the 4 needles is extremely difficult to thread. The directions with the machine indicate that you should tie subsequent threads onto the ends of the previous thread and that is actually the only reasonable way to rethread the machine. I made the mistake of thinking I could re-thread it as I had done with my Bernina and I spent a very long and frustrating time trying to thread this machine. That, however, is my only complaint with the machine. As long as you thread the machine by tying the new thread onto the old; you will not have this same problem. The machine is a bit louder and definitely not as finely made as the Bernina, but for the price, it's a very nice, useable serger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality serger!, March 25, 2011
This review is from: Janome Serger 3434D Serger Overlock
This is a very good quality serger from a great brand, janome. I purchased the refurbished version for a great savings and I would not have been able to tell any difference between the refurbished and a new one. I have read that most products labeled "refurbished" are really just open box. Anyways, this is a great machine~

5.0 out of 5 stars NOT AS SCARY AS YOU THINK!, October 30, 2011
KimmieL61 (Northern Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Janome Serger 3434D Serger Overlock
I've always heard/seen where people are afraid of their sergers once they get them home and they sit in the box forever. I only let it sit for 2 days, why be scared, it's only a machine! : Very simple to get started. It comes pre-threaded so if you can tie a knot and pull the thread through you've got it rolling! I've made baby blankets and scarves so far, can"t wait to find out what else I can do. Very highly recommended product!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent, February 21, 2012
This review is from: Janome Serger 3434D Serger Overlock
I'm a novice sewer and mainly work with cotton and t-shirts doing DIY tops and costumes, I have had this serger about a year now. This serger comes pre-threaded which is nice and serges well. The seems are sturdy and clean (as long as you use the right settings depending on what you want to do.) The only problem I have had is the material sometimes bunches up at the clipper and causes the needle to break. I am on my third needle, and this machine is no fun to re-thread. The bunching may be due my own fault though. Aside from the diffuculty of threading the 4 needles this is a great machine and at a good price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Basic Model, Hard to Tension, January 15, 2013
This review is from: Janome Serger 3434D Serger Overlock

This machine is very basic. I tried for two weeks on various fabrics to get the tension right. The loopers just won't balance. I just couldnt do it. It may be user error but this isn't the first serger I have used.

Threading was really no problem as it came pre-threaded but I did re-thread the machine from scratch (twice) to try to correct the tension issue. No luck. So, this one is going back to Hancock and I'll get the Brother instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Machine, September 15, 2012
This review is from: Janome Serger 3434D Serger Overlock
I have owned this machine for over a year and am very satisified with the product. I have no difficulty threading the machine the lower looper is a little hard to get to but when tying off the thread it is no problem. I wish finding additional feet would be easier but over all I am very satisified.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trusted Seller is Right!, May 25, 2014
This review is from: Janome Serger 3434D Serger Overlock
I generally will not by refurbished from online as you never know what you will be buying. I took a chance on this purchase and am pleased so far.

A few things to note about this machine. First, it is NOT difficult to thread. If you have used sergers or overlocks before with frequency, you will find this machine to thread much the same as others. There is a color guide to help with theading for those unfamiliar with this type of machine.

Second, it is a bit noisy. I have my machine sitting on a work table with a hollow area underneath and it does not absorb the vibration from the machine, making it a bit loud. Still working on that issue, but this is not a manufacturer problem.

The setting of tension is easy enough and I recommend you do not rely on the settings it arrives with.

If you are purchasing this machine refurbished, buy from Kens Sewing Center. Honest and realistic and he sent along a certificate of guarantee for one year - rare for a used machine.

Good machine for beginners and good for those us needing a replacement for the old worn out work horses :)

5.0 out of 5 stars super easy, February 10, 2012
This review is from: Janome Serger 3434D Serger Overlock
This machine is great once it got threaded its a breeze to use glad I got it makes sewing better cuz I can put a finished edge on things. Great value for the money

4.0 out of 5 stars Good machine at a GREAT PRICE!, April 30, 2012
This review is from: Janome Serger 3434D Serger Overlock
This machine is my first, so hard to compare. I am certain you get what you pay for! BUT, I have had a ton of fun with this machine. It does what I need it to do, but threading can be a PAIN! So, closely follow instructions, and tie thread end to new thread color when changing, to make sure you have it right. When it starts to pucker, bunch, or do whatever you don't want it to do, make sure you start over, and re-thread it - no idea how it finds away to get out of whack, but it does, and that usually fixes it! Follow the directions and color-coded guideline. And, move your needles up and down to get them in the easiest positions to follow steps (you can see this fairly easily). Make sure you look on the left and the right sides, when the compartments are open to follow all the steps, especially true when threading the first "green upper loop" thread - it's difficult on the fifth stop - you have to have the needles in the lowest position and look for this step in the LEFT compartment, make sure you pull plenty of thread through to the right, then follow the next step.
Also, a little annoying that Janome does not have their manuals on their website, especially for fairly recent machines! My fault that it is misplaced, but having a difficult time finding a quick replacement! If anyone has a quick solution - would be great!

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad I got this machine...., January 3, 2012
This review is from: Janome Serger 3434D Serger Overlock
I just purchased this machine and I already love it. I was so intimidated at first but I'm good to go now. The machine came pre-threaded. That made it so much easier to see where all the threads go just in case you need to rethread it yourself. The rolled hems are so pretty. =) And, I'm a new sewer too. I started sewing this time last year so this is my first serger. I recommend it for sure.

Janome Serger 3434D Serger Overlock