Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on January 3, 2013
I purchased a cheaper unit from a big name USA manufacturer. Even bought a spare burner unit for it. Neither the original burner or the spare worked. Didn't want to bother with returns so threw everything in the garbage and bought the Peacock. More money, but worked the first time I used it. I'm happy with this product.
55 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2013
I was looking for backpacking stuff to buy and I happened upon this product. What a cool invention! I had no idea these existed. Been around since "THE BIG ONE!" 24 hours of warm hands with just a little zippo fuel! (zippo makes one of these also and for less, but this is the original) If you are the outdoorsy type that likes to try out and have all the cool interesting gear this is worth getting. I am getting another one for my other pocket soon!
on April 16, 2013
Camping will never be the same. Toss this in your sleeping bag and goodnight! Seems a little weird to put something on fire in your pocket or sleeping bag, but this thing is amazing. Stays warm for forever. Glad I got mine, as they appear to be hard to find.
on March 24, 2013
There are multiple hand warmers on the market today. Even from the venerable lighter maker Zippo. The Peacock however is the most reliable, best performing among them. Imported directly from Japan and made of high quality polished stainless the quality and construction of this unit is top notch. It is simple to use, stays ultra warm the entire day, and packs a lot of heat in a small space. A couple of things to keep in mind. Keep the unit units sleeve or in a jacket pocket, it works best when in a confined space. Don't fuss over accurately refilling it with the provided cup, you can simple squirt lighter fluid into the receptacle until its full. Lighting is a snap. It won't visibly light, just trust that 6-8 seconds of a flame held at the platinum element will get it going to full warmth in five minutes or so. ThenPeacock is the best, the quality means it will be with you for decades, and any extra premium in price will be well worth it outdoors when it works just as you had planned.
on November 27, 2012
Prior to this, I bought a Zippo hand warmer. It is a little harder to start and not as hot as this Peacock. Also, the Peacock is supposed to be the inventor and Zippo is a copycat.I go north to ski and fishing. The Peacock is more expensive but it is worth the money. I bought this regular size for my wife. She is very happy with it.
on December 11, 2013
It always lights within 10 seconds. Very reliable. It looks quite similar to Zippo in photo but if you actually have them in your hand, you will know the difference just as I did. Peacock is better in material and craftsmanship.
on January 13, 2014
Good instructions. Quality materials. Easy to light. Very high heat output. One measuring fill cup unit's worth of fuel lasts about 8 hours. Have given these as gifts and they seem to be appreciated. I really like how the measuring cup works by inserting firmly into the fuel opening and then draining by rotating the cup. Very neat - no mess.
on February 20, 2014
I have a Zippo that is hard to light and easy to smother out. After droping it, the burner's copper retainer fell out. I read feedback on the Peacock that is more expensive. I decided to go for it. That was a good investment. Easier to light, longer burning time, tighter fit of burner and top cover, and a better filling system. It's worth the money in my opinion.
on January 28, 2014
I have both this legendary Peacock Hand Warmer (PHW) and the Electric Ignition Hand Warmer (EIHM) (amazon link at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MTI2E4/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) and used them daily. Both are excellent hand warmers, so you cannot go wrong with any of them, but there are significant differences.

1. cost
I paid $45 for a new EIHM in Amazon. I paid for a pair of new PHW (standard size) for less than $40 from a web site that rhymes like flea bay. So EIHM costs about twice as much as PHW. Notice that PHW comes in 4 sizes: spot, baby, standard and giant. EIHM comes in one size only.

2. material
EIHM is made of brushed aluminum, except for the top black/red panel which is either ceramic or some kind of plastic. PHW is made of stainless steel. Weight for both are about the same and comfortable to me. I could not tell the difference really.

3. ease of use
To use the EIHM for the first time, put in 15cc of lighter fluid (I use Zippo lighter fluid: cost me $10.50 for 4 cans of 4 oz) in a provided squirt bottle and squirt into the bottom fuel container. Future uses put in only 10cc per use. The manual warns of fuel brimming/overflowing beyond that. To light it, put the top burner back on the bottom fuel container so that the heater sits on top of the fuel opening. Then press and hold the battery ignition button for 10 seconds. You can actually see the glow of a (nichrome?) wire, lighting the platinum catalysed burner which burns the evaporated vapor of the lighter fluid. Put EIHM into the provided leather bag, with openings on the side which sort of align with the openings of the top heater. EIHM needs oxygen in air to get to a higher temperature, It warms up in a very short time to be useful, like a minute or two.
To use PHW, remove the top cover and the burner from the fuel reservoir, put the provided plastic cup on top of the bottom fuel reservoir and fill it up with lighter fluid to a marker line. Now slowly rotate the cup by 90 degrees which opens a channel for fuel to run into the bottom reservoir. Now replace the top burner. Use a lighter (NOT those jet flame lighter please) and gently apply a flame on the platinum catalysed burner pad for 3 to 5 seconds. It works like a charm every time. You can see the pad glowing faintly. Put back the top cover and slip it in the provided fleece bag.
Both are very easy to use and more importantly reliable. The same CANNOT be said about other knock-offs (of Peacock style heaters out there) you can find on a flea bay. So don't waste your money on those junk.

4. efficiency
PHW claims its baby reservoir lasts 20 hours, standard 24 hours, giant 30 hours. I only have 2 standard ones, so my comment only applies to a standard PHW. If I fill up the reservoir with the top line marker it will burn for ~16 hours. So I decided to actually measure the volume of fuel more scientifically: I use the same measure squirt bottle provided by EIHW. It turns out for each 1 cc of fuel I can get slightly more than 1 hour of burn.
EIHW has a lower efficiency: 1cc of fuel gives me slightly less than 1 hour of burn.

5. temperature
I think EIHW burns hotter than PHW in the open (not in a closed pocket), but then it is really difficult to compare for the following reasons:
5a. The burn temperature depends on availability of oxygen to the burner.
5b EIHW has openings on the side. PHW has openings on the side and on top of the thin stainless steel cover. The side openings of a PHW give them the characteristic shape of a peacock. If you compare them without the pouches I think they both burn hot, very hot indeed (in fact I think third degree burn is possible). You always put them in the corresponding pouches before use as a hand warmer. So here is the difference: EIHW's pouch has 4 centimeter-by-half-centimeter holes on the side in alignment with the openings in the top heater. The pouch of PHW has no openings on the side, only the loosely closed top provides air/oxygen. So more air/oxygen is available to the EIHW in its pouch: it explains why it burns hotter in use (and fuel lasts shorter). However, if you slip EIHW in a tight pocket you can cut off the air, or in some instance burn yourself with those 4 big openings on the side.

6. durability
Both looks durable. I have dropped my PHW twice from a height of 3 feet: no dents, no nothing. EIHW seems less robust than that (thank goodness I have not accidentally dropped it yet).

7. replacement parts
There is no replacement parts for EIHW. Replacement burners for PHW is about $14 a piece on the internet. This is a big deal: if something goes wrong with the EIHW heater there is nothing you can do but to get a new one; for PHW you can just replace the burner. Unofficially I was told the heater of PHW lasts a few thousand burns.

8. misc
I suspect this product is actually made in Korea, not Japan. I am also not 100% sure the product is a fully licensed product from Japan. So buyer beware, although I find the quality of PHW exceptional.
EIHW innovates by replacing the process of lighting with a fire to a electric ignition. This is nice, but it comes with cons:
8a no openings on the top, rather it relies on openings exclusively on the side potentially causing burns
8b increased cost
8c decreased robustness

9. conclusion
I give PHW a 5-star rating: it is truly exceptional.
I give a 4-star rating on EIHW. I knock down one star for EIHW mainly because of:
9a cost
9b lack of replacement parts
9c perceived durability
on January 5, 2014
I originally bought another Name Brand hand warmer and was very dissapointed.
The Peacock works as advertized and it is worth the extra money, should have bought it FIRST.
Live and Learn.
If you want it to work, get the Peacock!!
I am buying another now.