Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on February 7, 2013
I got this as a thank you gift for helping out at an event and thought that it was the most ridiculous thing. I was wrong! I was lucky enough to have a professional make-up artist tell me how to properly use it and will never go back. Traditional pinch curlers left creases in my lashes even when I was soft with them and I couldn't get lift from the base which left me with little hard-angled curls at the ends of my lashes. This product is able to get at the base of your lashes with no problem.

Here's the instructions I got:

After applying mascara and letting it dry...
Heat, for about 15 seconds, place at base of lashes and push gently up and back, almost folding them onto your lids (this is the best way I have found). It has NEVER scortched me, so don't worry about that.

Hold for a few seconds, this will vary from person to person. I do it for a good 5 count then slowly move it up your lashes pushing back, pausing for a few seconds when you feel you need more curl. While working your way up you can gently shake the curler from side to side to help to work the lashes into the grooves of the heater, not to mention get some extra separation.

Once you get to about 60% of the way up your lashes, gently fold the ends of your lashes back on themselves with the heated part of the curler so that the heater is facing toward the ground and your lashes are in a sideways "U" with the open part facin the lid. Hold for desired curl.

This is designed to work almost like a reverse curling iron, heating from the outside of the lashes, instead of having the hair wraped around it to heat. Like putting a velcro curler in your hair and using a blow dryer to heat it, except there is no blowing, just heat. You can curl your whole lash or just the outside to give that flare effect.

You can do this multiple times if need be, but once you figure out how long to do each of these steps, you shouldn't have to. Usually takes me less than 2 minutes to finish perfect lashes, sometimes less than a minute if I am not being a princess about it.

Hope this helps someone. I just saw so many bad reviews about them and it seemed that the worst thing about them was that there was no proper instructions. It does go through batteries like crazy, but totally worth it. I also tend to get a bit ADD and forget to turn it off sometimes, so that might just be me. I recently dropped it from about 7 feet up onto tile, and the head broke off so I had to get a new one, which brought me to writing this review. Good luck to all!
33 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 16, 2007
This was the first heated eyelash curler I've ever used. I've gone through 3 of them, actually.

-Pros-
- Heats well with a brand new battery for about a week.
- curls lashes with some practice, but if the battery is too new, it can curl too well (makes your lashes look shorter)
- Very small, smaller than my mascara tube.

-Cons-
- Throw away the battery it comes with, it's no good. Get a good brand name to get the best results.
- Be careful when you change the battery that you don't bend any metal inside the tube (or it will never work again)
- In order to get the best results, you need to apply your mascara FIRST, then use the curler. This gets the curler covered with mascara and eventually you have to figure out a way to clean it, or throw it away.
- You have to let the curler "warm up" for at least 30-40 seconds before you use it...enough time to put on some mascara.

Overall, if there were no other options on the market I would buy it again because it does work. This time, I think I'll try something else.
on November 15, 2004
For some people they said that this curler doesnt work for them. I bought it and decided to try it out for myself, surprisingly this lash heater DOES work (but thats only for me). I am asian and my lashes are short so i found that this curler gave my just enough curl to my lashes, i think you just have to know how to hold it to make your lashes curl. It takes AAA batteries and the only thing that i didnt like about it was that it ate batteries faster than a fat kid can eat cake. I use it everyday and for the first 3 days with a new battery it would give GREAT curl, then as the battery life winded down it wouldnt heat up as hot giving less curl. It would be completely useless within one week to two. Its small and petite enough to bring with u everywhere.
on January 7, 2014
This is different from anything I have ever used before. I love the way it curls my lashes. The main problem I experienced with it was the AAA battery did not last over 30 days. I finally have started detaching the battery from the curler between uses and it works great and the battery lasts much longer. Love the results, even though my lashes are still not really long or beautiful - it helps.
on November 12, 2012
I hardly ever wear mascara because I have short, heavy, sparse, and very straight lashes. Mascara looks good for ten seconds and then the lashes just droop. Gave this little mini heated curler a try and, by gosh, it actually looks like I have eyelashes now--a bit of an upward turn which lasts for at least part of the evening. I'm not talking long lush curly lashes here but certainly better than before. I think if you have good lashes to start, you would look great with this curler. I curl the lashes before applying mascara, put a light layer of mascara on and curl once again. Worth the money for me.
on February 9, 2014
Cons: This thing needs it's batteries changed FREQUENTLY and after a few months of use it breaks, and you have to get another. BUT, PROS: it's the best one out there. I've tried every single one (7 in total) and this is the only one that curls my lashes with one swoop (once hot) and keeps them curled most of the day. I have full, thin lashes, and I don't know how to use the mechanical curler. this type works amazing for me, and gives a noticeable difference in awakefullness. LOVE this product. I recommend you buy a small amount of batteries with it. You'll notice when the heat begins to decrease your curl becomes less effective.
on June 14, 2012
My eyelashes haven't been the same since I got pregnant, especially on one eye! It looked like some were broken, they clumped together without mascara and wouldn't curl! I got fed up with it and started reading reviews of the heated curlers on Amazon and decided to try this one since it was relatively well liked and cheaper than some of the ones on here. It is AMAZING!!! My eyelashes curl, separated and beautiful. It took 5 or 10 minutes to get the hang of it and figure out how it works and the fact that it mostly over-directs the lashes away from your eye instead of making a C curl, but you can get a C curl if you use a different technique (The directions are vague because it's all about preference). Anyway, it really opens your eye and actually does take years off (I had heard that on the Style channel and never believed it). And it makes me feel like I look fully awake and well rested, which as the mother of a 14 month old, I am not! I love it so much I got one for my mom for Mothers's Day!

If you're comparing heated curlers, I will note that putting the lid back on this one turns it off, so no worries about wasting batteries or burning the house down (I remember seeing one that was poorly designed, and this one is not).
on July 24, 2013
Seriously I dont know how people can say they dont like this. Honestly if you use it properly it works AMAZING. You turn it on and let it heat up for 20-30 seconds before you use it then work from the base of your lashes up moving it slowly. I usually slowly blink letting the pressure of my blinking help move the lashes through the curler. It really works amazing well. I look like I have false lashes on today and all i used was this curler and Loreals voluminous false fiber lashes mascara. No primer or anything.
on July 30, 2013
There are a few tricks to using this correctly. First you must have a coat of mascara on your lashes. Altho it is not necessary to curl your lashes with a conventional eyelash curler first, the results will be much better if you do. One of the reasons I got this, however, was so I would not have to use a regular curler everyday as I wanted to limit the damage that curlers do to lashes; so I only use a conventional curler when I'm going somewhere special, and always follow with the Japonesque. Most of the time I will use only this product without using a regular eyelash curler even though the result will not be quite as good - but at least it means my lashes can be seen. My lashes are very straight, somewhat sparse and short, so you can't even see them if I don't use the Japonesque. I first apply a coat of mascara. When dry I use this product, followed with another application of mascara and immediately fan my lashes dry so the curl will hold. I do this twice.

I can understand how some have said it did not work well for them, as this does work better on the lashes on my left eye than on right eye. I therefore think results may vary depending on your individual lashes. Also some reviewers here don't follow the proper steps to get good results.

I'm happy with this product....don't have a problem with the batteries being used up fast like others have, and as I said I use it daily. I'm really glad I took a chance and tried it.
on March 31, 2015
This actually works. It took me a while to figure out how to use it. It doesn't come with instructions or any illustrations to give you a hint.

I found it worked better before putting on mascara. You use it like a comb, trapping the lashes between the shallow groves, holding it there for a second & slowly lifting up the lashes against it as you comb them towards the ends. You won't feel the heat except the tiniest bit. No worry about burning yourself.

You will need to do this several times in each position to get all your lashes. e.g. It takes me three positions to assure that those fine little lashes on the very inner as well as the longer lashes at the ver out limits of my eye all get curled.

It is much more gentle that the pinching variety - you won't be pulling your lashes out and hoping they don't drop into you eyes. And the curve of the curl is very smooth.

I do recommend this, but allow yourself a little bit of time. It heats up fairly quickly. It does a nice job of separating your lashes if they tend to clump. This helps come mascara application time.