Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on January 5, 2007
This book is great! It not only covers canning, but also covers other methods of food preservation. All the recipes I tried worked great and the canning directions are very clear. Definitely worth the low price!!!
An excellent book of time tested knowledge.
The 100th Anniversary issue is the same book as the past few years, and the same as the current 2013 issue
except for the seal in the bottom RH corner which says 100th anniversary.
The anniversary issue was printed for a very short time earlier in 2013 ~ Jarden is now printing 2013 books,
but has moved on ~ no longer printing the seal on the cover.

I live near Muncie, Ind where Ball first started ~ and one would think this area would be inundated with this version
but on the contrary this book isn't available here either. The maker of the Blue book is also close bye (20 min) in Daleville, Ind.
I talked to them ~ they don't have it ~ can't get it ~ and aren't printing it any longer.

I was particularly wanting the 100th Anniversary issue now pictured as of August 16, 2013.
That's what I ordered from Deerso/full-filled by Amazon but I received 2012 book.

The (2012 & 2013) Ball Blue book is one hundred & twenty-eight pages (including index) of time tested guidance.
It includes several step-by-step illustrations in color and lists recommended lengths of storage.
This is an excellent reference book, weather just beginning, or been preserving food for years.

Starting with learning about canning, the following subjects covered are:
1. Just one step beyond cooking
10. From harvest to preserving
11. Answers to common food preservation questions
12. Food preservation terms
13. Recipes, food types, main ingredients

The Ball Blue Book is what my Mom used and trusted, she put up about everything one could think of from her garden.
I've followed that lead using the Blue Book for preserving over the years, and have continually been happy with the results.

One little disappointment ~ this book doesn't seem to be as well bound as it could have been.
VINE VOICEon March 6, 2012
If you are a beginner, this is an excellent start book with simple instructions and easy recipes. When I began canning, it was the first book I used, although I later purchased Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving for more recipes.

This book is more focused on water bath canning, although it also gives instructions for low acid (pressure cooker) canning. My first recipes were making jellies from juices I bought at the store, something that you usually can't go wrong with.

If you are wondering if canning is for you, I suggest that you buy this book even before investing in canning equipment. It will give you a solid basis of knowledge that will help you decide if canning is for you, and what kinds of equipment you want to buy.
VINE VOICEon July 2, 2008
I'm impressed with the amount of information in such a tiny package! I refer to this book 1st when considering my canning options. Sometimes it doesn't have the recipe I need, but most times it does. I'm very happy to own this book. It even has a section on dehydrating & freezing! This is probably worth more than it's price!
on November 21, 2007
This is my third Ball Blue Book. It is a wealth of info about canning. I have canned for years and have several different books, but this is the book I refer to each and every time. I bought this copy because mine have a habit of growing legs. I dont mind, like to share the fun!
on November 20, 2009
This is the best resource book to have for those who are just starting out canning, as well as for those of us who have been canning for many years.

I love the troubleshooter section, especially if I can't find the answer anywhere else. I suggest this book to any and all who are interested in canning and home storage.

Love it!
on December 4, 2012
This is the only book you need for home canning. A complete resource and recipe guide...if you are looking for more unique recipes or suggestions, just search pinterest or online. Not worth getting many of those newer canning books.
on January 8, 2010
Wonderful book for the beginning and intermediate preserver! I've been canning all my life, but this book has been a great resource for recipes as I've been trying new jam and jelly recipes the past few years. The blueberry jam is outstanding!

Great instruction for beginning canners concerning equipment and general instructions on times and processes.

Just a great overall go-to book when you are looking to can nearly anything (it has a section on meat too if you are into that). I find a lot of recipes online, but I have to admit I ALWAYS double check quantities and general measurements with this recipe book before I experiment with a new recipe to make sure it's in the ballpark. I think this as a basis book that most preserving homes should have on-hand.
on September 26, 2012
This book has everything in it you need to know about canning. Used my sisters and decided to purchase my own. GREAT!!
on November 9, 2011
I started researching what healthy diet was really all about and about today's processed foods and decided I had better know what is going into my families diet. Food plays such a huge role in our healtth and well being. I wanted to begin to process my own foods and this is the book I chose to begin with. With the name 'Ball,' I figured they must know a thing or two! And they do! What a wonderful book. The recipes are great and the instructions are easy enough. I am now canning my own foods and feeling good about what I am giving my family to eat. My only regret is that I started too late in the summer that I missed some great produce. And I wish I would have started years ago! But! I will be ready next summer that is for sure!