4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent workouts when you're short on time.
Published on May 8, 2009 by K.H. :)

3.0 out of 5 stars I have mixed feelings about this one.
Published on January 27, 2010 by Megan Alderton

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent workouts when you're short on time., May 8, 2009
This review is from: Jari Love: Get Extremely Ripped! (DVD)
Jari includes two fantastic 30-minute workouts on this DVD that can be done separately or combined for a super challenge. This is similar to her previous Get Ripped workouts, in that it includes high reps with light weights, but it is shorter than the others so you can still get a great workout if you're short on time. This strength training workout moves at a non-stop pace to really fatigue your muscles and rev up your metabolism. Jari uses compound exercises, meaning you use your upper and lower body at the same time, so you get a cardio benefit while toning your muscles. As in her other workouts, she includes the calories burned per minute before each exercise and the amount of weight needed for the upcoming exercise. The only equipment required are hand weights (she uses between 5-12 lbs) and an optional step. Jari does not use the step and you'll get a great workout without it.

I've included a breakdown of all the moves below with a brief explanation. Jari splits the exercises into 5 "tracks" per workout that usually consist of two different exercises that work complimentary body parts (such as the quads & hamstrings) and you perform LOTS of repetitions alternating sets of these two moves. I've indicated which is move #1 and #2 below. You'll perform perhaps 20 or more reps of one move before switching to the other move and then you'll do it all over again. Thankfully, she has a clock that counts down as you do the last 30 seconds of each move. As usual, Jari switches up the tempo and number of reps to keep things fresh.

>>>>> Workout 1:
Warm up with Squats, Alternating Lunges w/ Hammer Curl, Biceps Curl, Shoulder Raise, Shoulder Press, Upright Row
- Lunge Row and Stiff Leg Dead Lift: (1.Reverse lunge with simultaneous back row, 2. deadlift to work hamstrings)
- Pulse Quickie Squats with Knee Lift Bicep Curl: (1.Squat from side to side, 2. balance on one leg while lifting the other knee and doing a bicep curl)
- Pulse Wide Squats/Around the World and Step Up Pec Presses: (1.Plie Squat combined with shoulder lift to front then side, 2.March in place or onto the step and do overhead shoulder press)
- Tricep Butler and Side Squat off Bench/Anterior Raise: (1. Sort of a curtsy squat with leg lift to the back combined with triceps press, 2. Squat to the side and combine with shoulder raise to the front)
- Balancing Act and Side Squat/Lateral Raise: (1. Balance on one leg while performing a knee lift or front kick then perform a reverse lunge, 2. Squat to the side while doing shoulder rise to the side)

>>>> Workout 2
- Clean and Press and Step Knee Hammer Head (1. Squat then left weights overhead in a shoulder press, 2. Back lunge then knee lift with simulataneous hammer curl for biceps)
- Moving Side Squat Lunge Back & Knee Shoulder Press (1.Step out to side and squat, 2. then overhead shoulder press combined with knee lift followed by a squat)
- Horizontal Rows and Narrow Squat: (Back Row then squats with the feet close together then add knee raise)
- Reverse Flies and Overhead Triceps Extension: (works your back, then the back of your arms. Your perform the fly while lifting legs to the back)
- Pushups and Plank/Abs: Lots of pushups alternating with planks
Includes 8 Min Abs Bonus that has crunches, triceps pushups, planks, bicycles and bridges with leg lift.
- Cooldown with a full body stretch

Cons: Jari is a little more chatty in this exercise and as always her "motivational" speaking aggravates me a wee bit. Also, sometimes she moves a little fast, so this workout is more for the advanced or intermediate exerciser. I also don't like that she does not include the number of reps for each exercise, however, she does still include the recommended amount of weight to use. These are minor details, and wouldn't prevent me from doing the workout.

Overall, I like this workout DVD and will definitely use this for days when I'm short on time because it's a scorcher. I couldn't give this 5 stars because there just wasn't enough variety.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Will Get Extremely Ripped!, April 21, 2009
This review is from: Jari Love: Get Extremely Ripped! (DVD)
If you like Jari's Get Ripped! Series of workouts, you're going to love Get Extremely Ripped! The sound and quality of the DVD are fantastic. Jari's instruction is clear and easy-to-follow and as always, her personality is warm and friendly. This is a challenging high-rep workout without any breaks between sets, so be prepared to sweat! There are two 30 minute programs that can be done separately or done together for a full 60 minute heart-pounding session.

This workout is done with handheld weights; you can choose whichever weight is most comfortable for you (3 lb to 8 lb). This workout can also be done with a step, but this is totally optional. Each person on Jari's workout team is using a different weight which is identified on screen along with the amount of calories each person burned during the workout while using that weight. There were two people using a step during the workout, but the others were not. There is also an onscreen clock that pops-up to inform you that that you coming to the end of a set. The clock worked great at encouraging me to really pump-it-up and give it my best, because the end was in sight.

I have to be honest, I personally could not utilize a step during this workout, I would probably collapse, but what is great about this workout is that there are so many options. Using the step is a goal that I have set for myself along with increasing the weight of the hand weights. This workout will continue to be a challenge for me and that is one of the many things I loved about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Challenging, May 9, 2009
This review is from: Jari Love: Get Extremely Ripped! (DVD)
The latest Jari Love dvd is a departure from the previous ripped dvds. The look and the feel is much different. Jari and the Rippers are dressed up and the set has changed. So has the workout. It is much like the previous ripped dvds but much more challenging. In previous ripped dvds Jari will do an intense compound exercise followed by one where you get to lay down on a step and work the arms giving your legs a break. There are no breaks here. All of the exercises are compound exercises combining upper and lower body work. Examples are pulsing squats and lateral raises, lunges with rows, and dead lifts with rows. Jari shows all exercises without a step and in the back row advanced Rippers are using a step. The first exercise was a lunge with a row and I used the step which was a bad idea. I consider myself to be an advanced exerciser and I also run 6 days a week and the first track wiped me out. The exercises are very intense so if you usually use 10 pounds for bicep curls I suggest you go down a few pounds. In some exercises simlar to the ones done in previous ripped videos I was able to user heavier weights. But this one is much more intense so I used lighter weights. In some exercises I had a hard time challenging my muscles because the weight for my arms was too heavy but I was used to holding more weight for my lower body while I said my muscles did not feel that challenged I am pretty sure if I had used heaver weights that I would of strained myself. Overall this dvd is very challenging. I opted for the one hour track, there are three options. You can do the first half for 30 mins or the second half for 30 mins or both tracks together. If your pressed for time and want to work your abs I suggest you do the second half because that includes the ab workout which is pretty easy and takes up about 10 mintues. It consits of push ups, planks, crunches and the bicycle. Overall most of this dvd consits of compund exercises combining lunges with upper body work, squats with upper body work and dead lifts with upper body work. If you are new to Jari's workouts I suggest starting with Get Ripped! with Jari Love which is compared to this dvd is less intense it is still in my opinion an intense workout but not as hard as extremly ripped. Then after doing that dvd for a few months trying this one. This dvd is extremely challenging but an awesome workout. I also suggest you go light on cardio the days you do this dvd because it is hard and you will need energy to get through the whole hour.

3.0 out of 5 stars I have mixed feelings about this one., January 27, 2010
This review is from: Jari Love: Get Extremely Ripped! (DVD)
Ok, I'll give you some background on my experience with Jari. I have been using "Slim and Lean," "Ripped to the Core," "Ripped and Chiseled," and "Ripped 1000," alternately for about 7 months, so I am no stranger to her or her exercises. This video definetely breaks away from the previous ones I mentioned. The usual set is gone and instead of her and 3 other Rippers, you will see 5 other people. The only one I had seen before was Laurie, who, in my opinion should have been in the front due to her extensive experience with Jari and her perfect form. Having 6 exercisers total looked a little cluttered to me and difficult to see the exercises, which move much faster than previous DVDs. Also, I am sorry, but the clothing bothered me. It looked as if everyone was preparing for a night at the club instead of trying to break a sweat and get in good health. I so loved the atmosphere of the older Ripped workouts because it was down to business, no nonsense, no frills, just you your weight and getting some results. This video felt like more of a social event with Jari chatting during the workout when she should have been cueing, counting, and give tips on form and modifications. There are some modifications provided throughout, but what I don't understand is why for the sake of simplicity she doesn't just have the same one person demonstrating all the beginner modifications the entire time so that you always know where to look if you need to take it down a notch.

That said, the workout is pretty good. Don't be fooled, though... if you were looking for some serious strength traning, look elsewhere because I feel that more than anything this was a cardio workout. I was out of breathe and sweating like crazy which is not something you should see with a strength training workout. I know her goal is to keep the heart rate up with compound movements and no breaks, but this is borderline ridiculous. You almost have to hit pause just to grab a different set of dumbbells at some points and there is no stretching in between, which I don't think is a good thing. And don't even bother busting out your heavier dumbbells. I wasn't able to use anything higher than 5s in this video because the movements are so fast and the reps are even higher than other videos. I am advanced... just to give you an idea for comparison... in other videos of hers I am able to use 8s on biceps, and 5s on shoulders, but in these I had to go down to 5s and 3s respectively. Some of the motions are a little awkward too and difficult to work the targeted muscle because of that. Like when she has you throwing back your leg and your arms to work the triceps... it might have been better at a slower pace, but during the single counts I didn't have time to get my arms far back enough to feel the burn.

The abs at the end are a little better than some of the other DVDs, but still not amazing. Jari is just not known for very good ABs workouts. The stretch, though she mentions trying to make it more complete, really isn't... you hold the stretches longer, but you do less of them. I continued stretching on my own. No stretching was given to the outer hips, hip flexors, quads, calves or biceps.

The workout really is a good one, but I guess it's just not what I was expecting. I believe I will probably remain more loyal to her older Ripped workouts. Good luck to you. Hope this helps.

3.0 out of 5 stars good workout but dreary setup and annoying comments, June 6, 2009
This review is from: Jari Love: Get Extremely Ripped! (DVD)
I've done billy blanks tae bo for years and recently have been doing "biggest loser 30 day shred" with jillian which is awesome since it's quick (20min-great for those with kids and little time) AND makes me sweat. Jari Love's Get Extremely Ripped is a great workout, but the set and comments get annoying and old, especially if I were Kristin "the sweaty one". If you have bad knees this definitely is NOT for you with lunges/squats of some sort througout the entire workout. I'd classify myself as an "advanced" exerciser, working out 5-6 times a week at high levels. I like alternating between this and The 30 Day Shred DVD. All in all, if you can ignore the comments and dark set/bizarre workout clothes, this is a good sweat.

5.0 out of 5 stars I used to hate exercise; now I don't want to skip a single day, August 31, 2009
This review is from: Jari Love: Get Extremely Ripped! (DVD)
Thanks to Jari Love, I switched from being a couch-potato exercise-hater to an exercise lover. I don't like to bounce around doing dancy cardio, and I can't run (joints). Thank goodness I found the Ripped workouts. I've lost a pound a week for 26 weeks and gained a lot of muscle and definition. I'm very particular about exercise DVDs: the music, the pace, the voice, the cueing. I don't like to be "yelled at" and I like being encouraged and offered variations on exercises for my joint problems and age (55) and level of ability. Jari's voice is especially nice, and that's important at 5 am, which is when I do my exercises before work. She always smiles, always offers encouragement, and has the students in her videos doing different variations of the same exercise. No exercise lasts too long, but they all last into the BURN phase. If you do not feel the burn, up your weights and improve your form. In Extremely Ripped, Jari does lose her form once in awhile, but you can watch Kirstin, the woman to the right of the screen, for perfect form (the others also have great form). I like that the Ripped workouts are based on experiments that measure calorie use and metabolism. Each one seems to improve on the one before.

That said, in Extremely Ripped, the set and the outfits take some getting used to. I didn't like them at first, but who cares, really? Also, Jari is much more casual and jokes a little too much, but again, after watching it for a couple of weeks, you won't notice, and it helps pass the time.

I particularly like that I can choose from two shorter workouts for rushed mornings, or do the whole thing on a Saturday when I have plenty of time.

Oh, and did I mention that Jari looks fantastic? That helps keep me motivated.

UPDATE: A couple of weeks later and several more viewings, I now love the set, love the outfits, love the chit-chat and joking (it really helps you feel like part of the in-group). Jari was right, I was wrong about the new format for her videos. I can't wait for Extremely Ripped 1000.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whoa!, June 7, 2009
This review is from: Jari Love: Get Extremely Ripped! (DVD)
Just when I thought it couldn't get any harder than Ripped 1000...this DVD came along. I actually burn more calories in less time because of this gem. I normally do a 60 minute workout and if I can burn the same amount of calories in 30 minutes, I'm all for it. My heartrate monitor is proof. This workout will challenge you and the exercisers in this video are top notch. As always, Jari and Laurie continue to look ripped and fabulous. I was glad to see some new faces and the male exerciser did an amazing job presenting even more difficult modifications...for those daring enough to try.

The camera angles and set are superb. I have every DVD made by Jari Love and I have to say that this one surpasses them all. The beat that goes along with every move has been well thought out. I'm uncertain how anyone could give this a bad review. There is a modification for every track. Want something for a beginner? GREAT! Don't use any weights. Want something for an extreme challenge? GREAT! Follow the exercisers mentioned. If you're of average endurance, follow Jari. If you never get off of the couch and out of the Fritos this program will not work for you. You need to put your body under a certain amount of stress to make it change.

I lost a lot of weight following a low carb way of eating and doing the Ripped workouts. I continued to go down a couple of sizes, but the scale remained at a certain number. I am getting leaner even if the scale doesn't say so and personally it doesn't bother me. I'd rather be healthy and lean than be a certain number.

Oh...another thing, I'm no longer ashamed to wear a tank top. Jari delivers on these workouts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great workout....only some disadvantages, June 1, 2009
This review is from: Jari Love: Get Extremely Ripped! (DVD)
I bought this DVD even though there were some negative reviews; it was amazing and disappointing at the same time. The workout is INTENSE!!!!! I have GET Ripped 1000, and this blows it out of the water! It is very good for working up a good sweat. The hair around my neck was drenched and I was absolutely dying. I am a very advanced exerciser, and this was really hard for me! I also have all her other DVD's, and have mastered them and the moves involved. I would highly recommend this before even trying this DVD. I wouldn't even say that this is appropriate for intermediate exercisers. If you want to feel the burn and sweat like crazy, this workout is for you. But, beware, DO NOT do this unless you are able to handle the intensity.

Now, for the downsides. This movie is very poorly cued. Jari does not tell you what is coming up, and so you almost need to memorize the order of the moves to do the workout smoothly. Also, in the first workout, she is very rude to Kristen (the woman on the right). This is not appropriate, but Kristen seems to take it in stride. It is not easy to get the exercise right the first time, because Jari does not explain them at all. This is also way too techno and modern, and a lot different than her previous videos. She also talks way too much, and seems to think she is better than all the people there. She also talks to the people there more than those of us on the other side of the TV.

Well, this DVD is very poorly done and the exercises are not explained, but I do like this one because it is very challenging and it's hard to find hard exercise DVD's for advanced exercisers.

3.0 out of 5 stars not Jari's best, September 12, 2009
A. clark (portland, OR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jari Love: Get Extremely Ripped! (DVD)
This video is a good workout if you are up for the challenge. Jari moves quickly from segment to segment to keep things interesting but I found the actual segments themselves pretty mindless. I also thought that the repetitions were so fast that I didn't think I was doing a full-range of motion exercise. This burns calories but I wonder how much it does for actual strength. It also makes it hard to use anything but light weights.
The styling of the video is industrial and not very attractive,. The music is as annoying as ever but Jari's chatter seems to be a bit more than usual.
I will use this dvd for a calorie burn when I am short of time but "slim and lean" will remain my Jari Love go to workout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jari takes it to a whole new level, May 8, 2009
This review is from: Jari Love: Get Extremely Ripped! (DVD)
I have been doing Jari Love's workouts for a few years now, and just finished Workout 1 + the 8 minute abs routine on Extremely Ripped. I have NEVER been so sweaty or so out of breath during a Jari Love workout before! There are no breaks, so have the remote nearby to pause for some water - you'll need it! There are two-30 minute routines, plus 8 minutes of abs, and an 8 minute stretch at the end. You have the option to do both 30 minute routines together for a 60 minute workout. If you want a full-body workout incorporating high reps, low weight, and some serious heavy breathing, Extremely Ripped is what you're after. If you are familiar with the Ripped series, you'll get a kick out of Jari in Extremely Ripped. She's full of more funny and quirky commentary than usual - and if it is any indication of how hard-core this workout is, even Jari gets sweaty!

Jari Love: Get Extremely Ripped!
Jari Love: Get Extremely Ripped! by Jari Love (DVD - 2009)
$15.59